Does a 6 year old need a cell phone?

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
shibee

Post by shibee »

Last week, a friend of mine was due to come into town. i told her to call me when she got closer to my area, and i would meet up with her and we'd hang out. Well, being that my friend has moved around alot, and had changed phone numbers several times, i didn't realize that i had her old phone number still programmed in my phone, and when i text her saying "where are you", that i was actually texting a 6 year old. in response to my text, i got an angry mother that text me sayingTHIS IS THE PHONE OF MY 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER, WHO ARE YOU, HOW DO YOU KNOW HER AND WHY DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE SHE IS AT? i looked at it, shocked, not only that i sent a message to the wrong person, but that a 6 year old has a cell phone... maybe its just me...i just don't see the need in a 6 year old having a cell phone...

i was having this discussion with a coworker of mine and they pointed out that in the event of emergency, that maybe its n ot such a bad idea for a child to have a phone and to an extent, i agree, but on the other hand, she said that having a phone may not be safe; meaning that child could give her number out to a stranger...etc...i dunno...im just kinda floored by it all...
:yh_mfight
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

In this day and age i think they should have cell phones. I would anyway. Technology is not always bad!
Smoke signals ftw!
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

I think 6 is too young. I have a hard enough time with my 21 year old and his phone bills. All my kids only got a mobile phone when they where in there teens just in case they where stuck somewhere and needed a lift or were in some kind of trouble. A six year old is way too young but thats just my opinion:thinking:
FOC THREAD PART 1
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Some cell phone providers have special plans... and Disney phones. You can control that one completely. I just say why not?
Smoke signals ftw!
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I agree with Kay....6 years is wayyy to young. I bought my oldest a cell phone when he was 14 and it was the free-be cheapy kind that was not "COOL" at all, I told him that it was a test phone, for a year he had to prove me that he was responsible enough to have a phone, and abide by rules. HE DID!!:eek: So, a year later, I bought him a phone that ironically enough, is nicer than MY phone....matter of fact I had my phone for 4 years before getting a newer one.

Now, my 13 year old wants one, and I really can't afford it, I just took my brother and my son off my account, because they weren't helping with their portion, so I am solo on the bill now. In time, he will get one, patience is a virtue!!

I can see if the child is left alone...but ummmm, who leaves a 6 year old alone???? No, I think its too young....not responsible enough.....
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Odd you should mention this today. I just got the primary school (grade school) weekly notices and the teachers were asking that all cell phones be handed in before class. It's disruptive if children are texting or have phones ringing during lessons. Primary school children's ages range from 5 to 11. Personally, I think this age kids shouldn't need cell phones at all during the school day. If there is a problem at school, office phones are available to call parents.

Out of school hours, whether kids have phones, iPods, electronic games or Blackberries etc etc is a matter for parents.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

AussiePam;801659 wrote: Odd you should mention this today. I just got the primary school (grade school) weekly notices and the teachers were asking that all cell phones be handed in before class. It's disruptive if children are texting or have phones ringing during lessons. Primary school children's ages range from 5 to 11. Personally, I think this age kids shouldn't need cell phones at all during the school day. If there is a problem at school, office phones are available to call parents.

Out of school hours, whether kids have phones, iPods, electronic games or Blackberries etc etc is a matter for parents.

My 13 year old wants a cell phone to text to his friends AT school and I questioned this....he said that they do it when the teachers aren't looking!!...more reason for me not to buy him one just yet!
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Resist, WonderWendy. There's time enough for kids to get into texting mischief outside school hours. If all parents show some strength, instead of caving in to their kids' various forms of blackmail, all the children will have a better chance of getting ahead with their learning.

cars

Post by cars »

As others have already said, "6" years old is way too young for a cell! No need. There should not ever be a time when that 6 year old will/would be in an emergency situation where that 6 year old would not be in the custody of someone older!
Cars :)
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

cars;801687 wrote: As others have already said, "6" years old is way too young for a cell! No need. There should not ever be a time when that 6 year old will/would be in an emergency situation where that 6 year old would not be in the custody of someone older!

Hear hear!

My daughter got a mobile at 10 years old, only because her dad upgraded his - she didn't really need it.

I think that your child carrying a mobile is a two edged sword - you feel that they are safer because they can call for help if they need it but then it can be stolen from them or they feel invincible because they can call for help thereby putting themselves at risk.

Handy though when they are out and about and their tea's ready!!!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
saffy

Post by saffy »

6 years old seems to be a little young. I can't imagine why at that age they need one, unless it's just to play the (lame) games on and you've just given it to them because you've upgrade your own phone.

I've told my daughter that she can have one when she starts secondary school and she'll be having to use public transport by herself. Even then it'll be a basic mobile with no bells and whistles. If she wants one like that she'll have to pay for it herself.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

I would hope that a child so young would never find herself in a situation whee she would have to use a cell phone. Having said that, can they use these as tracking devices now?
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Okay i think they should have it just because it's cool!!!! I mean i would love to be the six year old with a cell phone!!!! why not????
Smoke signals ftw!
shibee

Post by shibee »

fuzzy butt;801647 wrote: Your friend gave her old number to her six year old?

no.

when my friend bought a new phone, she was assigned a new number...at the same time, her old number was recycled and given to someone else...she has no connection whatsoever with the 6 year old.
:yh_mfight
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

I don't think they *need* one. My daughter is 7, she's either with us or she's at school, there's no need for her to have her own phone.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

sunny104;802011 wrote: I don't think they *need* one. My daughter is 7, she's either with us or she's at school, there's no need for her to have her own phone.
How in the hell is she supposed to text Santa Clause and tell him what she wants for Christmas?:D
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

YZGI;802018 wrote: How in the hell is she supposed to text Santa Clause and tell him what she wants for Christmas?:D

we're evil parents, we make her do it the old fashioned way and write a letter! :p
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I totally agree with the majority of the people responding here about a 6 yr old having a cell phone. As for the friend who changes numbers constantly, she probably is not paying the bill for it, hence the phone number changes. Also, kids use the cell phones in class to text other classmates the answers for tests.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

No I don't see any reason for a 6 year old to have a cell phone. I'm also not sure if I want my kids to have cell phones when they are teenagers. I've seen in the news about kids sending X-rated pictures of themselves to other folks. I think they do more harm than good.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

qsducks;802089 wrote: I totally agree with the majority of the people responding here about a 6 yr old having a cell phone. As for the friend who changes numbers constantly, she probably is not paying the bill for it, hence the phone number changes. Also, kids use the cell phones in class to text other classmates the answers for tests.nope... lol we are far more advance then that... we hack onto the teachers computer and steal the hard copy of it... pfft. i loved watching people put effort into cheating!!! The classic water bottle.... rubber band!!! oh and my favorite gestures from across the room... good times... cell phones were always WAY to obvious. Kids will cheat no matter what... so i wouldn't factor that into a cell phone issue.
Smoke signals ftw!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Of course they don't NEED one at 6 years old. They may WANT one, & of course the phone companies want ALL children & teenagers to have them, but that's just their commercial interest speaking.
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Joe;802673 wrote: Of course they don't NEED one at 6 years old. They may WANT one, & of course the phone companies want ALL children & teenagers to have them, but that's just their commercial interest speaking.

My thoughts exactly, there is no way a 6 year old should have or desire a mobile at that age unless being put under pressure by some classmates or friends that may have one.

Post by 911 »

No one that young should have a cell phone, take it from someone who knows!!

At least here in the states, if you are so afraid that your small child may get away from you and wander off, by all means get them a cell phone. But, make it a 911 phone. That is a cell phone that can only call 911. With, of course, instructions on how and when to use it.

In fact when you get a new phone and as long as the other one is charged, it can still call 911. Nothing but 911. Even your house phone will do that if it's been disconnected.

Please, I beg you, do NOT give your old phone to your children to play with unless you take the batteries out. They can still call 911 and I have to answer it and talk to them until they will give the phone to mommie and I tell her to take the batteries out.

But, on a brighter note, if you have old phones you wish to get rid of, take them to an abuse shelter or your local police and ask them to take it to them. They give them to women to use in case they come across their abuser.

Most phones are now GPS enabled and I can still find you even on 911 wireless phones. :-6
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

fuzzy butt;802838 wrote: Pam they have the same rule of handing in the phones at the office at my sons Highschool.

My children won't have a phone until they can afford one . (they can pay for it)

BUT.....................we will be getting a "family" mobile phone for my children to take with them to sport or party gatherings so they can ring us to be picked up etc. but I don't see why a perfectly good phone /phones in our house should not be used by them to call their friends.

Way to go, FuzzyButt. I really do think parents too often take the easy way out and just give in to their kids instead of setting appropriate boundaries. Kids are kids. They get to speak. They get heard. Their wishes do count, of course. But they don't rule the household. Privileges are not their right. Like adults, they earn them, gradually. Mobile/cell phones can be extremely useful for safety and convenience when used well - and a dangerous distraction and general nuisance when not used well.

Lon

Post by Lon »

I don't think anyone should have a cellphone until they can hold a one on one conversation face to face and not talk in text speak. Where would a six year old be left alone that they would need a cell phone in case of emergency?
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

911;802698 wrote: No one that young should have a cell phone, take it from someone who knows!!

At least here in the states, if you are so afraid that your small child may get away from you and wander off, by all means get them a cell phone. But, make it a 911 phone. That is a cell phone that can only call 911. With, of course, instructions on how and when to use it.

In fact when you get a new phone and as long as the other one is charged, it can still call 911. Nothing but 911. Even your house phone will do that if it's been disconnected.

Please, I beg you, do NOT give your old phone to your children to play with unless you take the batteries out. They can still call 911 and I have to answer it and talk to them until they will give the phone to mommie and I tell her to take the batteries out.

But, on a brighter note, if you have old phones you wish to get rid of, take them to an abuse shelter or your local police and ask them to take it to them. They give them to women to use in case they come across their abuser.

Most phones are now GPS enabled and I can still find you even on 911 wireless phones. :-6

I just sent my old phone to that charity, they give you a pre-addressed envelope, I was happy to send it on, its an old phone, but a goodie!:-6
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

Kids grow up fast enough these days. We never had those things when we were growing up and we did just fine. Just my opinion.:lips:
Furry Samaritan

Post by Furry Samaritan »

shibee;801617 wrote: Last week, a friend of mine was due to come into town. i told her to call me when she got closer to my area, and i would meet up with her and we'd hang out. Well, being that my friend has moved around alot, and had changed phone numbers several times, i didn't realize that i had her old phone number still programmed in my phone, and when i text her saying "where are you", that i was actually texting a 6 year old. in response to my text, i got an angry mother that text me sayingTHIS IS THE PHONE OF MY 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER, WHO ARE YOU, HOW DO YOU KNOW HER AND WHY DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE SHE IS AT? i looked at it, shocked, not only that i sent a message to the wrong person, but that a 6 year old has a cell phone... maybe its just me...i just don't see the need in a 6 year old having a cell phone...

i was having this discussion with a coworker of mine and they pointed out that in the event of emergency, that maybe its n ot such a bad idea for a child to have a phone and to an extent, i agree, but on the other hand, she said that having a phone may not be safe; meaning that child could give her number out to a stranger...etc...i dunno...im just kinda floored by it all...

I wonder how we ever stayed "safe" as children back before the days of pagers & cell phones? Oh yeah - we had parents & teachers who cared enough to supervise us, and friends who cared enough to band together and look out for one another. How silly and old-fashioned to look for such communal behavior when we can fork over money for a communications device and then fork out money forever and a day to keep the signals coming & going for that device. What were we thinkin', huh?

I agree - 6 seems young to have any personal communications device, but if a child is completely alone (wow, I STILL don't see the reason for such a young one to BE unattended) then that phone might turn out to be a real life saver.
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

Furry Samaritan;804116 wrote: I wonder how we ever stayed "safe" as children back before the days of pagers & cell phones? Oh yeah - we had parents & teachers who cared enough to supervise us, and friends who cared enough to band together and look out for one another. How silly and old-fashioned to look for such communal behavior when we can fork over money for a communications device and then fork out money forever and a day to keep the signals coming & going for that device. What were we thinkin', huh?

I agree - 6 seems young to have any personal communications device, but if a child is completely alone (wow, I STILL don't see the reason for such a young one to BE unattended) then that phone might turn out to be a real life saver.

I am not a parent, but I would think that there would or should be enough supervised guidance in play, as is picking up and going to school, etc. This is a child and still needs all around the time supervision. Thus, should not need a phone.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

If the cell phone is used as a kind of monitor so the parent doesn't have to keep an eye on her all the time, that's neglect at best.

However, I think it would be a good idea to make a kind of "panic button" thing for the kid to carry. A single button that calls 911 and turns on a GPS signal so police can find her. That would be useful, I think.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

NO, NO, NO.. To young dangerous practice would be taken from a 6 year old in seconds if someone was going to causes them harm.

Its a cell phone batteries die and they become useless in a very short time. Try a whistle around their neck that they can use if in trouble. Better yet keep and eye on a 6 year old constantly and practice good parenting.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Furry Samaritan

Post by Furry Samaritan »

CARLA;804471 wrote: NO, NO, NO.. To young dangerous practice would be taken from a 6 year old in seconds if someone was going to causes them harm.

Its a cell phone batteries die and they become useless in a very short time. Try a whistle around their neck that they can use if in trouble. Better yet keep and eye on a 6 year old constantly and practice good parenting.

Carla - That scenario completely slipped my mind - I think you're right. I wouldn't put the whistle on a chain or cord around the child's neck, or that could be used to strangle the child - maybe the child would carry the whistle in his/her pocket.

My biggest fear in any "child alone" situation: How do we know anyone hearing the alarm or cry for help would actually get involved? You read so many reports of bystanders pretending nothing's amiss because they fear for their own safety or for other reasons choose not to get involved?

Thanks for the wake up call!
minks

Post by minks »

:-5 I think society is getting to darn wrapped up in being tied to a telephone. Yes I agree with 6 being way to young for a cell phone. However.... if one's parent is a single parent and works full time perhaps this isn't such a bad thing. Many many kids these days do not have a parent at home and readily available to them when in any kind of crisis situation... and to be fair, a 6 year old can't always determine what is and isn't a crisis.

I have mixed feelings about it.

Jr Minks got her cell phone at age 14 yes much older than 6 I know and this was because at the time I was the only responsible and responsive parent she had. I had to cut out early on dates to go pick her up places because her father would not. Sometimes they are a necessary evil.

On the other hand nothing is more frustrating than having your kid ignore your call :-5

My ex husband when we first split fell out of contact with Jr Minks and he kept texting her trying to get her to respond and finally he got a rude awakening a young girl sent a text back and said I am not your daughter ******* please stop texting me.

Looking back that was rather funny but not for the youung girl receiving all his pleading texts mind you.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
majorford

Post by majorford »

I will probably wait for awhile, but I can understand need for some families, unusual circumstances, single working parent, busy parents, safety, etc.

I looked at the "firefly" phone for kids that have just a few buttons - home, mom, dad & 911, but couldn’t really justify for my kids yet (daughter 7 & son 8) which would likely be just for entertainment.

I may be interested in GPS unit at some point so I can know where they are, but who knows… probably wait for new implant device :)

Regards,

Ford

First post so adding my photo attachment

Attached files
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Welcome! Where in Texas are you?
BobStew

Post by BobStew »

I don't think kids should have cell phones. Maybe one of those mentioned with Mommy, Daddy, 911 but that's it. It seems to me that many parents see the cell phone as a way to shift the responsibility. They think "If my kid needs something it can call me".

We managed to grow up without a cell phone and almost nobody got lost. :D
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Ok so your all going to hate me now but both my girls who are 10 and 8 have a mobile phone. Their not used as a nanny service or for emergency use as such. We bought them real cheap £20 phones last christmas and they showed how mature they were with them, we got payg packages on virgin and put £10 on each phone. They made a few texts to friends, typing out the full words as we agreed, no text speak and that was it. They loved to play the games on them and the occasional texts to nanny and pop or grandma. We play this game around the house, where one goes off with a mobile phone with a camera on it and takes an obscure pic of an object for the others to guess what it is. Only myself had a camera phone then.

My mother in law bought my 8 year old a camera phone for her birthday, its not just a phone but an mp3 player and a camera and camcorder so on our trip to London she was able to ring/text her dad whenever she wanted , take pics and send them to him plus listen to music on the mp3. My eldest always liked my phone so when I had a new one, she got my old one. The 8 year old is still on her £10 free airtime she was given with the phone.

Also my youngest suffers with asthma and does quite a few evening activities so if she ever felt out of sorts and wanted to come home, at least I know she can get hold of us if need be.

They dont abuse their phones or the airtime and im happy for them to have them.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I don't see anything wrong with a kid having a phone. You think they're supervised all the time but we've seen otherwise and a kid can find himself in a bad scene just like anyone else. This is the technology age and I don't see any reason it should be for adults only.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

RedGlitter;819274 wrote: I don't see anything wrong with a kid having a phone. You think they're supervised all the time but we've seen otherwise and a kid can find himself in a bad scene just like anyone else. This is the technology age and I don't see any reason it should be for adults only.

too true, slightly off topic but my children's school has adopted a new system where they ask you to send in your sick child and if THEY think they are not well enough for school or the child asks to go home they will ring you...Stupid bloody idea if you ask me, so my girls are off colour, I say to them go in, see how you are and if your feeling like you cant cope, ask them to ring me to collect you...My eldest asked 3 times to come home and was ignored and ended up having antibiotics for a chest infection, rightly so their is a no mobile phone rule at school but if they are ill, id prefer to hand their phone in to the school for them to ring me or let my child ring me....
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Yup, we just got a 3rd line on the Tmobile for 13 yr old to share with the 12 yr old. Our plan has unlimited texting, unlimited free weekends, and older daughter is getting a really nice phone out of this deal and 13yr old will get her old phone:wah: I've got the razor w/camera, video camera (just noticed it last month) and have had the thing for 10 months. Talk about a "duh mom" moment.:wah:
ilona17

Post by ilona17 »

I think 6 years old is to young to have a phone in my opinion.

I know a 10 year old who has a mobile phone and it doesn't really interest her that much at all.

She sometimes texts her friends on it, but doesn't carry it everywhere with her, and isn't on it 24/7 i don't really see a problem with that.

I was about 11/12 when i got my first phone and it was just an old phone that belonged to my brother before. I also thinks it depends on the maturity of the child and how responsible they can be. And i'm sure their own parents know that best.
[QUOTE]:DLive Everyday Like It's Your Last :-6[/QUOTE]
usernew

Post by usernew »

In age 6 I think its Ok to have a cell phone. I think its good safty idea for 6 years old child.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

I'm damn near 70 and I don't now nor have ever owned a cell phone. I get along fine. I wouldn't have a land line if my building didn't require it. So, my opinion is yes, 6 is too young.
Maristar87

Post by Maristar87 »

If I was the parent, I'd want to know where my child was at all times. At that age he/she would either be at school, with friends (with supervision) or at a family member's house, not running around the neighborhood. A cell-phone wouldn't be needed.
wellent

Post by wellent »

6 is way too young,but 13 is the right age to have one cuz she must have her own social relationship to deal with.

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”