Smelling Out Your Perfect Mate

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
CVX

Post by CVX »

By Paul Carey

Western Mail - UK

We may all think that we choose our perfect partners based on their appearance, personality or even the size of their wallet, but research by a Welsh expert reveals the key to finding your soul-mate is the way they smell.

Professor Tim Jacob, head of the smell research laboratory at Cardiff University, claims that in finding our perfect partner, we are reacting to the subtle odour we are all born with.

He claims this phenomenon is nature's way of ensuring that children are born with the strongest immune systems possible to fight off disease.

And when it comes to finding your husband or wife, the research reveals that opposites do attract.

"This is a subtle smell - it's not the sweaty body odour someone has after doing hard manual labour for a few days without washing," he said.

"This is an inherent smell that we all carry - you can't change it by washing or perfume."

In a review, commissioned by the decongestant manufacturer Sudafed, Prof Jacob has found that every person is born with a certain odour-type, which is dependent on their immuno-type, or immunogenetic status - the body's own defence mechanism against disease and illness.

Odour-types are not the same as pheromones, which some believe play an important role in social and chemical interaction.

Sniffer dogs use odour-types to distinguish individuals, but research has also revealed that humans not only use smell to distinguish between individuals but we actively select our mates based on odour-type.

Unlike any of the other senses, smell has direct access to the more primitive parts of the brain, which are linked to mood, emotion and memory - brain-imaging techniques have shown that smell can activate parts of the brain without being consciously perceived.

The main source of human odour is the apocrine - sweat - glands, which are found around the nipples, sternum, genitals, underarms, hair follicles, cheeks, eyelids, ears and scalp.

When people kiss they are also "tasting" a person's odour-type, which in turn will help determine whether that person could be their perfect mate.

Prof Jacob said there are thousands of different immuno and odour-types, but rather than seek out people with a similar smell, humans prefer to bond with people with a different odour-type, to ensure any children born as a result of their union will inherit two different immuno-types, bolstering their natural defence systems against disease.

Research has shown that women prefer male odours that are different from their own genetic makeup - the smell from men with the same genetic make-up was found to be unpleasant.

Marriages between people with similar genetic make-up are not as frequent as expected and a high degree of genetic similarity between parents could even increase the chances of miscarriage.

more:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news ... 02&method=

full&siteid=50082&headline=smelling-out-your-perfect-mate-name_page.html
Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

So humans are one-step ahead of sniffer dogs.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Suresh Gupta wrote: So humans are one-step ahead of sniffer dogs.
ruff, ruff!

maybe not. :-)
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Tombstone wrote: ruff, ruff!

maybe not. :-)
What did you find?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Suresh Gupta wrote: What did you find?
A scent clue!
weeder

Post by weeder »

CVX wrote: By Paul Carey

Western Mail - UK

We may all think that we choose our perfect partners based on their appearance, personality or even the size of their wallet, but research by a Welsh expert reveals the key to finding your soul-mate is the way they smell.

Professor Tim Jacob, head of the smell research laboratory at Cardiff University, claims that in finding our perfect partner, we are reacting to the subtle odour we are all born with.

He claims this phenomenon is nature's way of ensuring that children are born with the strongest immune systems possible to fight off disease.

And when it comes to finding your husband or wife, the research reveals that opposites do attract.

"This is a subtle smell - it's not the sweaty body odour someone has after doing hard manual labour for a few days without washing," he said.

"This is an inherent smell that we all carry - you can't change it by washing or perfume."

In a review, commissioned by the decongestant manufacturer Sudafed, Prof Jacob has found that every person is born with a certain odour-type, which is dependent on their immuno-type, or immunogenetic status - the body's own defence mechanism against disease and illness.

Odour-types are not the same as pheromones, which some believe play an important role in social and chemical interaction.

Sniffer dogs use odour-types to distinguish individuals, but research has also revealed that humans not only use smell to distinguish between individuals but we actively select our mates based on odour-type.

Unlike any of the other senses, smell has direct access to the more primitive parts of the brain, which are linked to mood, emotion and memory - brain-imaging techniques have shown that smell can activate parts of the brain without being consciously perceived.

The main source of human odour is the apocrine - sweat - glands, which are found around the nipples, sternum, genitals, underarms, hair follicles, cheeks, eyelids, ears and scalp.

When people kiss they are also "tasting" a person's odour-type, which in turn will help determine whether that person could be their perfect mate.

Prof Jacob said there are thousands of different immuno and odour-types, but rather than seek out people with a similar smell, humans prefer to bond with people with a different odour-type, to ensure any children born as a result of their union will inherit two different immuno-types, bolstering their natural defence systems against disease.

Research has shown that women prefer male odours that are different from their own genetic makeup - the smell from men with the same genetic make-up was found to be unpleasant.

Marriages between people with similar genetic make-up are not as frequent as expected and a high degree of genetic similarity between parents could even increase the chances of miscarriage.

more:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news ... 02&method=

full&siteid=50082&headline=smelling-out-your-perfect-mate-name_page.html
This information is fascinating. I find it to be true.. I definately smell people. There are smells thad do appeal to me. I also will walk into a home, for the first time ,andknow wether I will like it there or not.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
persephone

Post by persephone »

So would this be why internet dating goes bad when they finally meet?
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Weeder, did you smell your mate and are you satisfied with the result?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Letha, now scientists should work on systems which can help people in smelling over internet.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

weeder

Post by weeder »

Suresh Gupta wrote: Weeder, did you smell your mate and are you satisfied with the result?
my mate has been gone from me for 4 years...I still miss his smell,I remember it well.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

letha wrote: So would this be why internet dating goes bad when they finally meet?
Maybe not too far from the truth!
minks

Post by minks »

letha wrote: So would this be why internet dating goes bad when they finally meet?

Now now let's not jump all over internet dating I am a rare success product of internet dating. And yes "he" does smell great ;)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
persephone

Post by persephone »

Well mine smells and tastes good :p

I never said internet dating was bad :wah:
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:D Interesting stuff, I have an accute sense of smell it drives me crazy sometimes. I would put it close to a dogs nose..(which is not a bad thing). :wah: It gets me in trouble sometimes. I have to walk away from places, and people the smells just invade my nose, and makes me nausated. :lips:

My father has been dead for 20 years, he died at the age of 57 sitting in his back yard(just sat down and died). I still can smell him on the patio at my mothers house, in the garage, the kitchen. Which always brings back great memories.. :-4

NOTHING WRONG WITH A GOOD SNIFFER..!!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”