Jerusalem Artichoke

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
spot

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by spot »

I have just prepared a Jerusalem Artichoke salad. I took a Jerusalem Artichoke, peeled it, shredded it, put it on a plate and squeezed a lemon over it.

I have just eaten a Jerusalem Artichoke salad.

I have no idea why I do these things but I thought I might ask the panel whether this dish can improve and if so, how.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Patsy Warnick

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by Patsy Warnick »

How did it taste?

I've never seen this artichoke before - it looks like ginger.

Patsy
spot

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by spot »

It is, like ginger, a root. This is less woody.

Vaguely sweet, and rather like a finely shredded cabbage in texture in that it was damp but still crunchy.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Wandrin

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by Wandrin »

I usually roast them. Out here, where they are also called sunchokes, you can get them on a pizza.
Patsy Warnick

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by Patsy Warnick »

You need to cook these so maybe some shredded cheese under the broiler would add a little something to the taste & texture.

Maybe crumble some bacon.

it's all new to me - interesting

Patsy
spot

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by spot »

I'm starting out with raw preparations. The idea is a bit of self-medication, Dr Michael Moseley mentioned inulin as a prebiotic feed for intestinal flora earlier this month. Which foods can improve your gut bacteria? - BBC News - and the Jerusalem Artichoke root is 76% inulin.

Other people have made less favorable comments. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke: The inulin cannot be broken down by the human digestive system but it is metabolized by bacteria in the colon. This can cause flatulence and, in some cases, gastric pain. Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, quotes the English planter John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes: "which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men".

Steaming works, apparently. Boiling makes the stuff mushy.

Roasting sounds interesting, I'll put the oven on.

If I vary what I'm trying, I'll add photos to the thread.
Ahso!

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by Ahso! »

I've read up and gained a liking for gut bacterial fermented foods like cabbage, sauerkraut, and kimchi.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by Bruv »

Never eaten or seen them in the shop.

Why choose to eat them raw ? A quick Google gives several methods how to cook, why didn't you go that route ? Many things just cannot be eaten raw, some could make you ill.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by spot »

I may mistakenly have heard Dr Moseley say the word raw at some stage.
Betty Boop

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by Betty Boop »

I'd stay home for a week if I were you.
Patsy Warnick

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Ahso

Ever fried cabbage? I love fried cabbage

Patsy
LarsMac

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by LarsMac »

This is another of those "food" items that probably required someone being VERY HUNGRY to figure out that it was actually edible.

We used to know some people in Maine who were "Naturalist" and specialized in foraging "Native foods"

They used to dig these up and cook them. I was not all that impressed.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by YZGI »

Patsy Warnick;1509362 wrote: Ahso

Ever fried cabbage? I love fried cabbage

Patsy

Fried cabbage ? Interesting, I've never had it. What is the best way to prepare it?
Bruv

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by Bruv »

YZGI;1509452 wrote: Fried cabbage ? Interesting, I've never had it. What is the best way to prepare it?

Fried ?

Sorry......shredded finely and dropped.....dry.......into hot oil until crisp, then sprinkled with a little sugar............maybe......anyway thats how I have been served it.
YZGI

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by YZGI »

Bruv;1509456 wrote: Fried ?

Sorry......shredded finely and dropped.....dry.......into hot oil until crisp, then sprinkled with a little sugar............maybe......anyway thats how I have been served it.

Hmm, not a sugar guy. May try it salted and peppered.
Bruv

Jerusalem Artichoke

Post by Bruv »

YZGI;1509648 wrote: Hmm, not a sugar guy. May try it salted and peppered.

Do your own thing...........let it all hang out.

Return to “The Kitchen”