Potato Salad Quandry - Mayonnaise or not to Mayonnaise?

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I’d like to make some potato salad (which I’ve never done!) and I’m leaning towards substituting another ingredient for the usual mayonnaise. I’ve mulled over sour cream & plain yogurt as possibilities but I can’t make up my mind. Have any of you had any made without mayonnaise? To me, mayonnaise doesn’t really have much flavor on its own and its presence in the potato salad seems more as a binder for the other ingredients. Or does it serve another purpose that I’m unaware of? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I know I am a bloke but I can still cook.......

Best to use waxy potatoes, not the floury type.

Good with new potatoes, just cut in half or whatever.

Peel your potatoes and cut to regular chunky size, bring to boil and gently simmer until just cooked, don't let them mash up.

Meanwhile.......

Add some chopped onions to a bowl with salt and some good vinegar and allow to soften.

When the potatoes are cooked pour off the water and replace with cold water to cool them a little, then pour that water off too.

Add some olive oil to the vinegar onion mixture, then put the still warm potatoes into the oil, vinegar and onions, and mix by tumbling together. Allow to cool, soaking up the liquids, tumbling several times to mix.

Add seasoning as required normally plenty of freshly milled black pepper and salt, add up vinegar or oil to taste.

Now you can eat that as it comes, or when cold I would add the best ready made mayonnaise on the market, you know the one.

You can also add shredded cold beef or cubed corn beef if you like.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I've often mixed some salad cream in to the mayonnaise before adding it to the potato to make it more interesting.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Just don't use Miracle Whip. Or if you do, don't tell me about it. I hate that stuff.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I'd go with Bruv's recipe and add chives but without the mayo and meat, but that's because I'm a vegetarian. You could have sides of sour cream and salsa which can be added by each individual.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
valerie

Post by valerie »

I've tried both yogurt and sour cream in potato salads of the past, and didn't

really care for either, but that is probably just preference, there wasn't anything

really wrong with them.

Years ago, someone taught me to put a little pickle juice in with the mayo before

adding to the salad (this in addition to any chopped pickles already in it) and so

now (even though I rarely make potato salad any more) I do it that way.

Variety of potatoes seems to make a difference, too. I like to use the Yukon golds,

or other varieties except the plain russets. I like the smoother texture of them.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

tabby

Post by tabby »

Bruv;1389825 wrote: I know I am a bloke but I can still cook.......

Best to use waxy potatoes, not the floury type.

Good with new potatoes, just cut in half or whatever.

Peel your potatoes and cut to regular chunky size, bring to boil and gently simmer until just cooked, don't let them mash up.

Meanwhile.......

Add some chopped onions to a bowl with salt and some good vinegar and allow to soften.

When the potatoes are cooked pour off the water and replace with cold water to cool them a little, then pour that water off too.

Add some olive oil to the vinegar onion mixture, then put the still warm potatoes into the oil, vinegar and onions, and mix by tumbling together. Allow to cool, soaking up the liquids, tumbling several times to mix.

Add seasoning as required normally plenty of freshly milled black pepper and salt, add up vinegar or oil to taste.

Now you can eat that as it comes, or when cold I would add the best ready made mayonnaise on the market, you know the one.

You can also add shredded cold beef or cubed corn beef if you like.

I've read this recipe about 10 times and I'm getting hungrier for it by the minute! It seems so different from the potato salad that my mother & grandmother used to make, not just in ingredients but in technique. I'm smitten! I've never heard of the idea of softening the onions with salt and vinegar. I don't really like raw onions and I had already decided that I wouldn't add them to the potato salad but now I'm curious if the marinade of vinegar takes away some of their startling pungency.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Betty Boop;1389829 wrote: I've often mixed some salad cream in to the mayonnaise before adding it to the potato to make it more interesting.

That's a good idea too! I saw a recipe a while back that called for salad dressing in making deviled eggs and I can't remember which type it was but I remember thinking to myself that it sounded good. I loved deviled eggs!
tabby

Post by tabby »

SnoozeAgain;1389830 wrote: Just don't use Miracle Whip. Or if you do, don't tell me about it. I hate that stuff.

lol ... what's wrong with Miracle Whip?? I've never had it but I thought it was just a type of mayonnaise! Or is it a different entity altogether??
tabby

Post by tabby »

Ahso!;1389841 wrote: I'd go with Bruv's recipe and add chives but without the mayo and meat, but that's because I'm a vegetarian. You could have sides of sour cream and salsa which can be added by each individual.

I do like chives and I have some in the garden still from last year. I think my grandmother used to add dill to it and that was pretty good too!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am flattered.

When I make a salad, I always 'soften' the onions in the salad bowl before adding the crisp and crunchy ingredients at the last minute. If you want pimento add them with the onion too, they 'make water' that spreads the flavour throughout the salad when finally mixed together.

I think the french call it fatique (sp) or tiring the onions.
tabby

Post by tabby »

valerie;1389850 wrote: I've tried both yogurt and sour cream in potato salads of the past, and didn't

really care for either, but that is probably just preference, there wasn't anything

really wrong with them.

Years ago, someone taught me to put a little pickle juice in with the mayo before

adding to the salad (this in addition to any chopped pickles already in it) and so

now (even though I rarely make potato salad any more) I do it that way.

Variety of potatoes seems to make a difference, too. I like to use the Yukon golds,

or other varieties except the plain russets. I like the smoother texture of them.

It sounds like I should stick with the mayo but doctor it up a little. So many good ideas here. Forum Garden should publish its own cookbook!
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

You can make your own Mayo very very easily and then add your own flavours... Don't be put off by these know It all chefs like Ramsey who'll tell you that If you use too much oil It'll split...

Just one egg yolk... beat It until creamy.... drizzle a little oil at a time whisking as you go... I use vegetable oil or sunflower oil..... keep whisking adding the oil bit by bit and It will turn to mayo within a very short time... then you can add your own flavouring... even curry powder, mustard, peanut oil... whatever takes your fancy.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tabby

Post by tabby »

Bruv;1389920 wrote: I am flattered.

When I make a salad, I always 'soften' the onions in the salad bowl before adding the crisp and crunchy ingredients at the last minute. If you want pimento add them with the onion too, they 'make water' that spreads the flavour throughout the salad when finally mixed together.

I think the french call it fatique (sp) or tiring the onions.

That's a good way to word it ... as long as it takes their punch out, I'm all for it! I've never enjoyed raw onions and to me their taste dominates all other flavors in a dish in a negative way. My Dad used to sprinkle chopped raw onions on hot dogs, hamburgers, you name it but I could never warm up to them.
tabby

Post by tabby »

oscar;1389926 wrote: You can make your own Mayo very very easily and then add your own flavours... Don't be put off by these know It all chefs like Ramsey who'll tell you that If you use too much oil It'll split...

Just one egg yolk... beat It until creamy.... drizzle a little oil at a time whisking as you go... I use vegetable oil or sunflower oil..... keep whisking adding the oil bit by bit and It will turn to mayo within a very short time... then you can add your own flavouring... even curry powder, mustard, peanut oil... whatever takes your fancy.

I had no idea! It seems so simple when you describe it yet if someone had asked me, I would have thought it had to be a detailed process and out of my league. I think I can do this!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Some more tips for Mayo.

Mix the yolks with vinegar and mustard with seasoning before adding the oil......gotta be olive oil......

A cheat is to use hard boiled egg yolk, not blackened over cooked though, just hard then cooled quickly.

Mash it up with the other ingredients then add the oil......less chance to turn.

You can then add the diced whites to the potato salad
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tabby;1389916 wrote: lol ... what's wrong with Miracle Whip?? I've never had it but I thought it was just a type of mayonnaise! Or is it a different entity altogether??

Miracle Whip is not Mayonnaise.

Lower in fat, and sweeter. I prefer Mayo (Hellman's to be exact)

My wife prefers Miracle Whip.

What’s the Difference: Miracle Whip vs. Mayonnaise.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

One of my favourite snacks.

I make some mayo, add curry powder. Chop some hard boiled eggs into the mixture and then pile on hot buttered toast.... nom nom nom
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “The Kitchen”