Culinary Questions

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
flopstock

Culinary Questions

Post by flopstock »

Bought fresh shrimp to make a risotto and went to de-vein it - there looks to be veins top and bottom. Do i need to take both out? It seems to chop it up a bit much, IMO.:thinking:

And the cooking shows all say you don't use cheese with seafood, but the only risotto I've had used cheese and tasted fine.

What's the consensus here?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Culinary Questions

Post by CARLA »

Yes you need to remove the head, skin and both veins this should be fairly easier for the bottom one just put the tip of a paring knife under it and pull up. The top one cut the shrimp open you will see the vein once again put the tip of the paring knife under the vein and remove it BINGO done. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Mustang

Culinary Questions

Post by Mustang »

The veins are the digestive tract and rather gritty if not removed. I prefer my shrimp deveined before eating them.

Deveining Shrimp -- How to Devein Shrimp Video
Kathy Ellen

Culinary Questions

Post by Kathy Ellen »

The top vein is the digestive track...yukkkk take it out. The bottom vein is part of the nervous system. I think that most cooks don't take it out. It won't hurt to leave it in.

I think that the chefs are saying not to put the cheese ON the seafood. You should also use a mild cheese with seafood as the seafood is usually bland.
flopstock

Culinary Questions

Post by flopstock »

Kathy Ellen;1331649 wrote: The top vein is the digestive track...yukkkk take it out. The bottom vein is part of the nervous system. I think that most cooks don't take it out. It won't hurt to leave it in.

I think that the chefs are saying not to put the cheese ON the seafood. You should also use a mild cheese with seafood as the seafood is usually bland.

I did it without any cheese and it tasted great anyways.

I think since I skipped the cheese I can have ice creme tonight, right?:sneaky::yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Culinary Questions

Post by flopstock »

Mustang;1331643 wrote: The veins are the digestive tract and rather gritty if not removed. I prefer my shrimp deveined before eating them.

Deveining Shrimp -- How to Devein Shrimp Video

Oh man... just watched it and I didn't do the rinse afterwards, only before!

Maybe why I detected just a hint of BP....:lips::wah:

flopstock

Culinary Questions

Post by flopstock »

CARLA;1331642 wrote: Yes you need to remove the head, skin and both veins this should be fairly easier for the bottom one just put the tip of a paring knife under it and pull up. The top one cut the shrimp open you will see the vein once again put the tip of the paring knife under the vein and remove it BINGO done. :)

It was a little funky pulling the thing out. I may go back to precooked and de-veined after this!

Mustang

Culinary Questions

Post by Mustang »

flopstock;1331673 wrote: Oh man... just watched it and I didn't do the rinse afterwards, only before!

Maybe why I detected just a hint of BP....:lips::wah:

:yh_ooooo

Can I ask you something Floppy? Are you just learning to cook or just experimenting with new foods? :thinking:
flopstock

Culinary Questions

Post by flopstock »

Mustang;1331760 wrote: :yh_ooooo

Can I ask you something Floppy? Are you just learning to cook or just experimenting with new foods? :thinking:

learning to cook with fresh ingredients only if at all possible..

maybe I should warn you folks now that when I brought the shrimp(which did not reheat as well as my precooked seems to, BTW) - I almost walked past a ginger root. Fortunately my daughter asked what it was, so I grabbed one..

No idea what to do with it yet.... gingerale perhaps?:-2:yh_rotfl

But no salt in my house anymore, bought a pepper grinder and on the lookout for a zester.. although i think one side of my cheese grater will work just fine!:-6

Mustang

Culinary Questions

Post by Mustang »

flopstock;1331785 wrote: learning to cook with fresh ingredients only if at all possible..

maybe I should warn you folks now that when I brought the shrimp(which did not reheat as well as my precooked seems to, BTW) - I almost walked past a ginger root. Fortunately my daughter asked what it was, so I grabbed one..

No idea what to do with it yet.... gingerale perhaps?:-2:yh_rotfl

But no salt in my house anymore, bought a pepper grinder and on the lookout for a zester.. although i think one side of my cheese grater will work just fine!:-6

Fresh ingredients sure have a better taste! Good for you Floppy! :-6

Ginger root is good in stir fry. Also can be combined with other ingredients for a marinade for chicken that is thrown on the grill.
Kathy Ellen

Culinary Questions

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Fresh spices are always lovely to add to our cooking Floppy.

Unfortunately, I'm still addicted to sea salt...guess it must be the mermaid in me:wah:

I always have the following fresh not packaged spices/herbs on hand for my cooking: rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme, tarragon, ginger, cilantro, cinnamon, garlic, and red hot peppers. My rosemary and thyme plants outside will last all winter...seems that nothing kills them.

I have tummy issues so I add ginger and tarragon to everything. You can buy the knob of ginger that keeps well for months in the freezer. You can defrost parts of it as needed.

I use ginger when I make a modified chicken biryiani or any chicken or sausage meals, pork tenderloin with cinnamon, pumpkin banana bread, ginger cake and cookies, ginger ale or ginger tea.

I've been using ginger for years and it really helps with digestion amongst a million other ailments. It's like a miracle drug.

Here's a site I found a long time ago for recipes...

Ginger Recipes - Home Cooking

Return to “The Kitchen”