Stir Fry on a Wood Stove?

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Lon

Post by Lon »

There was a big storm the other night and the power went off. Six of us were all ready for a Beef Stir Fry Meal. The gas oven on one side of the kitchen is lit by a electric spark (not working) and on the other side of the kitchen is a old wood stove. We cranked up and got the wood stove started and low and behold, was able to get the meal going. It took a bit longer but turned out fine.:-6

Attached files
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Of course it worked. I used to cook all our meals on a solid fuel stanley, if the wind was up everything almost got burnt, if the wind dropped the evening meal would be ready at bedtime :wah:

Wouldn't it have been easier to light the gas with a match though :rolleyes:
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

I've got very nearly the same in my kitchen, excep that the model is the "Supreme" rather than that one (is it a "355", or a "Royale"?). It's been lit since last October, and is OK for cooking when you're used to it. Don't forget when you've something in the oven, though, you won't notice (no smell) & it'll be charcoal after a day or two.

Are you still in NZ?
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Betty Boop;1306591 wrote: Wouldn't it have been easier to light the gas with a match though rolleyes:

Yes. I use an electric cooker when I'm at home in the Summer.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Betty Boop;1306591 wrote: Of course it worked. I used to cook all our meals on a solid fuel stanley, if the wind was up everything almost got burnt, if the wind dropped the evening meal would be ready at bedtime :wah:

Wouldn't it have been easier to light the gas with a match though :rolleyes:

It's my SIL kitchen and he said it's a type of gas stove that could not be lit with a match.:-2
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bill Sikes;1306613 wrote: I've got very nearly the same in my kitchen, excep that the model is the "Supreme" rather than that one (is it a "355", or a "Royale"?). It's been lit since last October, and is OK for cooking when you're used to it. Don't forget when you've something in the oven, though, you won't notice (no smell) & it'll be charcoal after a day or two.

Are you still in NZ?

Yes--------We return to California on May 2nd
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Lon;1306579 wrote: There was a big storm the other night and the power went off. Six of us were all ready for a Beef Stir Fry Meal. The gas oven on one side of the kitchen is lit by a electric spark (not working) and on the other side of the kitchen is a old wood stove. We cranked up and got the wood stove started and low and behold, was able to get the meal going. It took a bit longer but turned out fine.:-6

That's way cool Lon. On my first trip to Ireland, I experienced my Auntie Ellen's gigantic fireplace. She lived in the 'back of beyond' in Donegal. We cooked big meals in a huge, black pot that was placed over a roaring fireplace. My Auntie Maggie was more modern and had an Aga...great stove, that is....except, I didn't realize how hot it got....stood in front of it to warm up and almost set my nightie on fire.....:wah: My family had to pour water on me to get the fire out...Luckily I wasn't burnt....

Learned my lesson:rolleyes:

Here's a pic of my sweet Auntie Ellen and her wee home sans aga...just a big, old lovely fireplace....no heat or water in home...before we met her.:(

We changed all that:-6
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Well, we always roasted weenies over a nice roaring campfire..............:)

Return to “The Kitchen”