Potatoes

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Mustang

Potatoes

Post by Mustang »

Easy to grow or cheap to buy, potatoes are an edible tuber of the nightshade family that can be fried, baked, boiled and roasted. They come in a variety of colors and different dishes to use them in.

I like russets for baking, topped with sour cream and chives and red potatoes for mashing to go along with pork and kraut. Sweet potatoes are good too, baked with a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon. While camping, nothings better than fried potatoes in a cast iron skillet over an open fire.

So how do you like your potatoes prepared?
Odie

Potatoes

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1305903 wrote: Easy to grow or cheap to buy, potatoes are an edible tuber of the nightshade family that can be fried, baked, boiled and roasted. They come in a variety of colors and different dishes to use them in.

I like russets for baking, topped with sour cream and chives and red potatoes for mashing to go along with pork and kraut. Sweet potatoes are good too, baked with a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon. While camping, nothings better than fried potatoes in a cast iron skillet over an open fire.

I have sweet potatoes quite regularly, with butter, salt and pepper.

I must try them with brown sugar and cinnamon.:guitarist:guitarist

Mashed has always been my favorite way to have potatoes.
Life is just to short for drama.
hoppy

Potatoes

Post by hoppy »

So far, I haven't found a way I didn't like 'em. I eat 'em so often, I now look like a potatoe.:o
flopstock

Potatoes

Post by flopstock »

Mustang;1305903 wrote: Easy to grow or cheap to buy, potatoes are an edible tuber of the nightshade family that can be fried, baked, boiled and roasted. They come in a variety of colors and different dishes to use them in.

Home made potato chips.:-4

tater tots are nice too... nuke them, take a fork to them to break them up, add bacon bits, peppers and onion, then sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Throw back into the microwave til the cheese melts, salt and pepper to taste.... and voila!:yh_drool
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Peg

Potatoes

Post by Peg »

hoppy;1305930 wrote: So far, I haven't found a way I didn't like 'em. I eat 'em so often, I now look like a potatoe.:o

You sound like me. Potatoes are my favorite thing to eat no matter how you make them.
Mustang

Potatoes

Post by Mustang »

Odie;1305913 wrote: I have sweet potatoes quite regularly, with butter, salt and pepper.

I must try them with brown sugar and cinnamon.:guitarist:guitarist

Mashed has always been my favorite way to have potatoes.

Try them with the brown sugar and cinnamon Odie, they are really good that way! :-4

hoppy;1305930 wrote: So far, I haven't found a way I didn't like 'em. I eat 'em so often, I now look like a potatoe.:o

Better watch it Hoppy, that all those potatoes don't turn you into a couch potato! :D ;)

flopstock;1305931 wrote: Home made potato chips.:-4

tater tots are nice too... nuke them, take a fork to them to break them up, add bacon bits, peppers and onion, then sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Throw back into the microwave til the cheese melts, salt and pepper to taste.... and voila!:yh_drool

I'll have to give it a try. Sounds pretty darn good with the melted cheese on top. :)
along-for-the-ride

Potatoes

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I like 'em too. :) Baked, cooked with a roast, fried, in a stew............................

And now.....................here's Hoppy! :D
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lon

Potatoes

Post by Lon »

I like them, all kinds, mashed, boiled, baked---------love fries (chips) but skip em.

My real favorite is Yams and Sweet Potatoes-----fixed any way.
Kathy Ellen

Potatoes

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ahhhhhhh, Mustang:-6

I lubs me spuds almost anyway. The only spuds I don't like are limpy french fries.

Guess my favorite way to eat spuds are mashed potatoes with sour cream, chives and brown, chicken gravy.

I also love home fries and home made steak fries.

My fav spuds are Idaho and Yukon Gold.

btw: we had a thread about spuds...will have to look for it.
Mustang

Potatoes

Post by Mustang »

along-for-the-ride;1305955 wrote: I like 'em too. :) Baked, cooked with a roast, fried, in a stew............................

And now.....................here's Hoppy! :D

:wah: Mr. Potato Head sure brings back memories. :p

Lon;1305957 wrote: I like them, all kinds, mashed, boiled, baked---------love fries (chips) but skip em.

My real favorite is Yams and Sweet Potatoes-----fixed any way.

Yams and sweet potatoes are high on my list too right now. Friend of mine grows them and are so good dug fresh out of the ground.

Kathy Ellen;1305961 wrote: Ahhhhhhh, Mustang:-6

I lubs me spuds almost anyway. The only spuds I don't like are limpy french fries.

Guess my favorite way to eat spuds are mashed potatoes with sour cream, chives and brown, chicken gravy.

I also love home fries and home made steak fries.

My fav spuds are Idaho and Yukon Gold.

btw: we had a thread about spuds...will have to look for it.

I don't like limpy fries either Kathy Ellen. Have to be nice and crisp and heinz ketchup with them. :D

My wife makes some great home fries with onions and peppers and seasons them with chili power. Adds a different twist to them.
Bruv

Potatoes

Post by Bruv »

Potato salad anyone ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Odie

Potatoes

Post by Odie »

Bruv;1305980 wrote: Potato salad anyone ?

you got it!:guitarist

I make mine with eggs and its awesome.

leftovers, fried potato salad.......don't knock it until you've tried it.;)
Peter Lake

Potatoes

Post by Peter Lake »

Mustang;1305903 wrote:

By my wife. Far less trouble i find.
G#Gill

Potatoes

Post by G#Gill »

I love potatoes, but I'm not sure which way I prefer them best! Jacket potatoes with butter and grated cheese on them, or a poached egg - yummy! Roast potatoes, particularly when they have been roasted round a joint of meat! Mashed potatoes - mashed with a little milk, butter, pepper.. Chips (or fries) that are 'dry' with a crispy bite to them (I'm not too keen on the 'stick' type you get at McDonalds!). Baby new potatoes, boiled with a sprig of fresh mint in the pan and served with butter on them - delicious !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
along-for-the-ride

Potatoes

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Bruv;1305980 wrote: Potato salad anyone ?

:-4 Here is the recipe my mother used :

This is a delicious potato salad for a summer meal or cookout.

Ingredients:

•4 to 5 cups cubed waxy potatoes, cooked, drained, cooled*

•1/2 cup chopped celery

•1/2 cup chopped red onion

•3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped

•2 tablespoons chopped sweet pickle

•2 teaspoons sweet pickle juice

•1/2 to 2/3 cup mayonnaise

•1/2 to 1 teaspoon prepared mustard

•1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt

•1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir gently to combine. Refrigerate until serving time.

Serves 4 to 6.

*For best texture, use new potatoes, red skinned potatoes, or other boiling potatoes.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kathy Ellen

Potatoes

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh, that does look delish Along....Thank you...I'll make that this summer.

I'll look for my Mom's spud salad and post it also:-4
Mustang

Potatoes

Post by Mustang »

along-for-the-ride;1306003 wrote: :-4 Here is the recipe my mother used :

This is a delicious potato salad for a summer meal or cookout.

Ingredients:

•4 to 5 cups cubed waxy potatoes, cooked, drained, cooled*

•1/2 cup chopped celery

•1/2 cup chopped red onion

•3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped

•2 tablespoons chopped sweet pickle

•2 teaspoons sweet pickle juice

•1/2 to 2/3 cup mayonnaise

•1/2 to 1 teaspoon prepared mustard

•1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt

•1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir gently to combine. Refrigerate until serving time.

Serves 4 to 6.

*For best texture, use new potatoes, red skinned potatoes, or other boiling potatoes.

Almost like what my wife makes, except she adds chopped green olives too. :)

Kathy Ellen;1306006 wrote: Oh, that does look delish Along....Thank you...I'll make that this summer.

I'll look for my Mom's spud salad and post it also:-4

Cool! :-6 New stuff to try over the summer! :guitarist
Mustang

Potatoes

Post by Mustang »

G#Gill;1305991 wrote: I love potatoes, but I'm not sure which way I prefer them best! Jacket potatoes with butter and grated cheese on them, or a poached egg - yummy! Roast potatoes, particularly when they have been roasted round a joint of meat! Mashed potatoes - mashed with a little milk, butter, pepper.. Chips (or fries) that are 'dry' with a crispy bite to them (I'm not too keen on the 'stick' type you get at McDonalds!). Baby new potatoes, boiled with a sprig of fresh mint in the pan and served with butter on them - delicious !

Yep, around a beef roast are really good too!

Have you ever tried sweet potato fries? They aren't too bad! Baked them in the oven until crispy.
Mustang

Potatoes

Post by Mustang »

Odie;1305983 wrote: you got it!:guitarist

I make mine with eggs and its awesome.

leftovers, fried potato salad.......don't knock it until you've tried it.;)

You fry leftover potato salad, am I understanding you correctly? :thinking: Never heard of doing that Odie.
G#Gill

Potatoes

Post by G#Gill »

I've never tried sweet potatoes, and I keep promising myself I will try them!
Kathy Ellen

Potatoes

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Here's my Mom's potato salad Along and Mustang. It's simple and delish, and I make it all summer and think about Mom:-4

"Kay's Potato Salad"

1. Boil, Idaho's preferred, as many potatoes as needed. When done, slice and sprinkle lightly with sea salt, pepper a few tablespoons of sweet pickle juice.

2. Mix Hellmann's mayo and sour cream, equal amounts...fold into potatoes.

3. Before mixing in the mayo mixture you can add minced, celery, sweet onions and some diced green and red peppers to add color and taste.
Mustang

Potatoes

Post by Mustang »

Kathy Ellen;1306015 wrote: Here's my Mom's potato salad Along and Mustang. It's simple and delish, and I make it all summer and think about Mom:-4

"Kay's Potato Salad"

1. Boil, Idaho's preferred, as many potatoes as needed. When done, slice and sprinkle lightly with sea salt, pepper a few tablespoons of sweet pickle juice.

2. Mix Hellmann's mayo and sour cream, equal amounts...fold into potatoes.

3. Before mixing in the mayo mixture you can add minced, sweet onions and some diced green and red peppers to add color and taste.

Sounds great Kathy Ellen and thanks for posting it! :-6 Will have to try that one too. ;)

hahahaha.....I'm getting hungry for a cookout with all the side dishes now. :D
Kathy Ellen

Potatoes

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Here are some potato pancake recipes.....

When my Dad was a wee lad in Ireland his family, at one time, had little to eat. They would sit around the table with a fork and a few potatoes each. They had a bowl of milk in the center of the table and would dredge the spuds in the milk before eating:-4

My Nana Katie used to make 2 types of Irish potato pancakes on Friday nights....good memories. I'll paste 2 here that I use quite often.... My grandmother's pancakes were like these.

"FADGE"

Ingredients:

2 lb Unpeeled Idaho potatoes

1 Egg, beaten

1/2 Stick butter

3 tb Flour

1 1/2 tb Chopped parsley

1 1/2 tb Chopped chives

1 1/2 tb Chopped lemon thyme

-(these three mixed, opt)

Creamy milk

Salt

Freshly ground pepper

Seasoned flour

Bacon fat or butter for

-frying

Boil the potatoes in their jackets, pull off the skins and mash

straight away.

Add the egg, butter, flour and herbs (if using) and mix well. Season

with plenty of salt and pepper, adding a few drops of creamy milk if

the mixture is too stiff.

Shape into a 1" round and then cut into eight pieces. Dip in seasoned

flour.

Bake on a griddle over an open fire or fry in bacon fat or melted

butter on a gentle heat. Cook the fadge until crusty and golden on

one side, then flip over and cook on the other side (about 4-5

minutes on each side).

Serve on its own on hot plates with a blob of butter melting on top.

"Boxte"

Ingredients:

1 cup raw potato, grated

1 cup cooked mashed potato

1 cup plain flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1 cup buttermilk

2 tablespoons butter

Directions:

Grate the potato into a bowl, and pour the buttermilk over it to keep it from turning brown. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat the egg in a mixing bowl. Add the sifted dry ingredients, grated potato, buttermilk and mashed potato, and mix well. The mixture should be the consistency of thick pancake batter. Add more buttermilk or sifted flour as needed.

Melt the butter on a griddle over medium heat. Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto the griddle, spreading it to about a 6-inch diameter. Brown griddle cakes on both sides.

***If you don't have buttermilk, I always add a tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of milk and leave it set for 10 minutes.
Kathy Ellen

Potatoes

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thanks Mustang:-6

You brought back a lot of fond memories of my family tonight;)
Mustang

Potatoes

Post by Mustang »

Kathy Ellen;1306020 wrote: Thanks Mustang:-6

You brought back a lot of fond memories of my family tonight;)

Food and chatting with friends has a way of doing that, doesn't it?! :)
Kathy Ellen

Potatoes

Post by Kathy Ellen »

It really does Mustang....one of my joys in life:-6
Odie

Potatoes

Post by Odie »

We should all meet at Mustangs and bring our favorites foods and he can cook the lobsters & t-bones steaks.:yh_rotfl

wouldn't that just be awesome?

then sit around a huge campfire.:-4
Nomad

Potatoes

Post by Nomad »

We now have a self professed potato expert within our quirky and suspended reality realm. I propose every one just calm freaking down and let our new authority, his spudness be the last word on all things potato related.
I AM AWESOME MAN
albertpollard

Potatoes

Post by albertpollard »

Nomad;1306073 wrote: We now have a self professed potato expert within our quirky and suspended reality realm. I propose every one just calm freaking down and let our new authority, his spudness be the last word on all things potato related.

I believe YOU professed me to be a potato expert...In any event one should remember there are POtatoes, poTAtoes, and potatOEs and you must always be mindful of the differences. Also do not confuse them with their close cousin the patato...
NEWS FLASH! The Universe is God's Petri Dish.
Bevdee

Potatoes

Post by Bevdee »

Theres putaytas and taters, too.
G#Gill

Potatoes

Post by G#Gill »

Potato is a potato, but a spud is a hole in the sock ! :yh_rotfl Well it was when I was at school ;)
Mustang

Potatoes

Post by Mustang »

Odie;1306060 wrote: We should all meet at Mustangs and bring our favorites foods and he can cook the lobsters & t-bones steaks.:yh_rotfl

wouldn't that just be awesome?

then sit around a huge campfire.:-4

Sure it would, but our mad scientist/ninja has to be there to tell the ghost stories around the campfire! :wah:
Bruv

Potatoes

Post by Bruv »

Well here's my recipe for Potato salad......

Chunky cut potatoes put to boil, as you finely chop onion that you leave to 'cook' in enough salt to season all the potato you have boiling.

Add some malt vinegar and olive oil to the onion and let them soften, in a large bowl.

When potato is just cooked cool it with cold water until it is still warm, but not cold.

Drain completely of water and add to large bowl with other ingredients, stir and allow potatoes to absorb the flavours.

When cold, mix in a good mayonnaise.

You are allowed to add chunks of corned beef or strips of ham........if you really want to.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Mustang

Potatoes

Post by Mustang »

Bruv;1306147 wrote: Well here's my recipe for Potato salad......

Chunky cut potatoes put to boil, as you finely chop onion that you leave to 'cook' in enough salt to season all the potato you have boiling.

Add some malt vinegar and olive oil to the onion and let them soften, in a large bowl.

When potato is just cooked cool it with cold water until it is still warm, but not cold.

Drain completely of water and add to large bowl with other ingredients, stir and allow potatoes to absorb the flavours.

When cold, mix in a good mayonnaise.

You are allowed to add chunks of corned beef or strips of ham........if you really want to.

Thanks Bruv for posting your potato salad recipe here. :)
Odie

Potatoes

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1306143 wrote: Sure it would, but our mad scientist/ninja has to be there to tell the ghost stories around the campfire! :wah:

I wonder what he'll be wearing?:yh_rotfl
Nomad

Potatoes

Post by Nomad »

albertpollard;1306076 wrote: I believe YOU professed me to be a potato expert...In any event one should remember there are POtatoes, poTAtoes, and potatOEs and you must always be mindful of the differences. Also do not confuse them with their close cousin the patato...

Buck up little camper.

I wish I were a potato expert, any kind of expert really. The only thing Im really good at is annoying people. Sure, things could be worse but still...

You take the bull by the horns mister and be our potato king !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Potatoes

Post by Odie »

how could I forget?

I love scalloped potatoes, yeahhhhhhhh!:guitarist
ZAP

Potatoes

Post by ZAP »

Bevdee;1306079 wrote: Theres putaytas and taters, too.

Hmmmm.
ZAP

Potatoes

Post by ZAP »

Mustang;1306143 wrote: Sure it would, but our mad scientist/ninja has to be there to tell the ghost stories around the campfire! :wah:

Is that an invitation to come to your place for lobster and/or steak? :-6

Ok.

Return to “The Kitchen”