No more waste.

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
buttercup

No more waste.

Post by buttercup »

I'm quite horrified at the waste from my kitchen and aim to rectify this starting tomorrow. Anybody want to join me in this quest to use up what we have in the cupboard, fridge, freezer before buying more and get to a point where nothing is wasted?

I'm not saying it will be easy, you will have to justify throwing half a loaf in your bin ect, i totally expect you to make bread and butter pudding, breadcrumbs or go feed ducks or something with it :wah:

Recipies will be needed for random objects, could be fun, wanna try it?
buttercup

No more waste.

Post by buttercup »

Some of the first things i've noticed is in my 16 jar spice rack, only 8 of these jars are regularly used, the other 8 have been thrown out due to being out of date or going out of date.

Also thrown out today flour, cornflour, bread, veg, potatoes, salad cream, brown sauce, jar mint sauce, bottle soy sauce, 3/4 pack bacon, 3/4 pack sausages, half pack pancakes, fruit, half steak pie, various nibbles. Probably totals to about £25.

Pretty shocking huh?
chonsigirl

No more waste.

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, it can add up. I am just one of those fussy shoppers, with the meal list written out for the week. Not much left anywhere the day before shopping-but any leftovers I get rid of that night.
Odie

No more waste.

Post by Odie »

buttercup;1298151 wrote: I'm quite horrified at the waste from my kitchen and aim to rectify this starting tomorrow. Anybody want to join me in this quest to use up what we have in the cupboard, fridge, freezer before buying more and get to a point where nothing is wasted?

I'm not saying it will be easy, you will have to justify throwing half a loaf in your bin ect, i totally expect you to make bread and butter pudding, breadcrumbs or go feed ducks or something with it :wah:

Recipies will be needed for random objects, could be fun, wanna try it?

did that a year ago and never again!

just to much food wasted.

now if I buy something, its going to be eaten.

the ducks always get the blueish bread!:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

No more waste.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

buttercup;1298154 wrote: Some of the first things i've noticed is in my 16 jar spice rack, only 8 of these jars are regularly used, the other 8 have been thrown out due to being out of date or going out of date.

Also thrown out today flour, cornflour, bread, veg, potatoes, salad cream, brown sauce, jar mint sauce, bottle soy sauce, 3/4 pack bacon, 3/4 pack sausages, half pack pancakes, fruit, half steak pie, various nibbles. Probably totals to about £25.

Pretty shocking huh? This thread Is so amusing to me as this Is Mr O's favourite subject.

First... Spices.

We have a spice cupboard. It contains things that range from the making of Bombay Potatoe's to Cajun Chicken. I know nothing of these things as I do not do the cooking most of the time. Occassionally, I decide we don't need some of these things and throw them away. It Is around this time, we sleep In seperate bedrooms.

Cornflour etc...

My husband buys such Items as Cornflour, Flour, Bi-Carb Soda, baking poweder etc In quantitie's that require home delivery by the store. They also have their own cupboard and are lined In alphabetical order.

Pastes and sauces

Another cupboard for Pastes and Sauces such as Tomatoe Puree, sweet chilli, Jalepeno paste, sticky Cajun sauce etc etc. These are rotated on a regular basis.

All food waste Is frozen. Bread goes to the Birds. Fat goes to the birds. left over Chicken Tikka, Battenburg cake and Corned beef Is used as fishing bait after being coated with one of the exotic spices from the above range. Some Is coated with strawberry and banana flavouring depending on what he's fishing for. Carp are particually fond of the Strawberry, I'm assured.

All left over vegetables are frozen until there Is enough for Bubble and Squeek. Some left over bread Is used for Summer Puddings and Bread and Butter Puddings.

Any meat product left over Is fed to the foxes. When I run out of chicken quarters and use his prime chicken breast, this Is usually followed by sleeping In seperate bedrooms.

Left over Potatoes are peeled, sliced and frozen for chips at a later day.

Anything too revolting to keep such as egg shells, are put In one of his many composters that produce large fat worms that are then used as bait for angling. Other Items that go In the composters are pet hair after they have been draped on the tree's during nesting for the birds, cardboard and ciggerette ash.

We have four bags for re-cycling. Red for newspapers. Green for bottles. Yellow for plastic and black for tins.

All jars are washed, have labels removed and re-cycled.

I want a divorce !!!!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
hoppy

No more waste.

Post by hoppy »

oscar;1298179 wrote: This thread Is so amusing to me as this Is Mr O's favourite subject.

First... Spices.

We have a spice cupboard. It contains things that range from the making of Bombay Potatoe's to Cajun Chicken. I know nothing of these things as I do not do the cooking most of the time. Occassionally, I decide we don't need some of these things and throw them away. It Is around this time, we sleep In seperate bedrooms.

Cornflour etc...

My husband buys such Items as Cornflour, Flour, Bi-Carb Soda, baking poweder etc In quantitie's that require home delivery by the store. They also have their own cupboard and are lined In alphabetical order.

Pastes and sauces

Another cupboard for Pastes and Sauces such as Tomatoe Puree, sweet chilli, Jalepeno paste, sticky Cajun sauce etc etc. These are rotated on a regular basis.

All food waste Is frozen. Bread goes to the Birds. Fat goes to the birds. left over Chicken Tikka, Battenburg cake and Corned beef Is used as fishing bait after being coated with one of the exotic spices from the above range. Some Is coated with strawberry and banana flavouring depending on what he's fishing for. Carp are particually fond of the Strawberry, I'm assured.

All left over vegetables are frozen until there Is enough for Bubble and Squeek. Some left over bread Is used for Summer Puddings and Bread and Butter Puddings.

Any meat product left over Is fed to the foxes. When I run out of chicken quarters and use his prime chicken breast, this Is usually followed by sleeping In seperate bedrooms.

Left over Potatoes are peeled, sliced and frozen for chips at a later day.

Anything too revolting to keep such as egg shells, are put In one of his many composters that produce large fat worms that are then used as bait for angling. Other Items that go In the composters are pet hair after they have been draped on the tree's during nesting for the birds, cardboard and ciggerette ash.

We have four bags for re-cycling. Red for newspapers. Green for bottles. Yellow for plastic and black for tins.

All jars are washed, have labels removed and re-cycled.

I want a divorce !!!!

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
K.Snyder

No more waste.

Post by K.Snyder »

Can't say I ever buy an overly abundant stockpile of food that I would throw much of it away , other than I used fill my plate with more than I could eat and on the instances I didn't wrap the plate and put it in the refrigerator for later I would throw it away but I don't do that anymore.

I can say that I'm making a habit to not use plastic at the store.

Also like Lon has said in the past it's very convenient to make things in abundance initially to then later retrieve them from the freezer.
hoppy

No more waste.

Post by hoppy »

I had a relative who would toss out any food on it's sell by date. I tried my best to convince her that was not the use by date. Didn't matter to her. If stores couldn't sell it after the sell by date, it must not be fit to use.
Oscar Namechange

No more waste.

K.Snyder;1298216 wrote: Can't say I ever buy an overly abundant stockpile of food that I would throw much of it away , other than I used fill my plate with more than I could eat and on the instances I didn't wrap the plate and put it in the refrigerator for later I would throw it away but I don't do that anymore.

I can say that I'm making a habit to not use plastic at the store.

Also like Lon has said in the past it's very convenient to make things in abundance initially to then later retrieve them from the freezer. We have another cupboard for storage. Not regular storage but the foil trays and plastic boxes that take-aways come In. This Is due to my husband Insisting that 'They will come In handy one day'. They are placed In the cupboard In such abundence that they fall on my head when I open the cupboard. After throwing them all away, it is around this time we sleep In seperate bedrooms.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

No more waste.

Post by Snowfire »

Bubble and Squeek is the traditional and best way of using up the vegatables from the previous day or two, longer if frozen like Oscar suggests. Keep bananas away from other fruit. The gas given off by them accellerates the ripening process

I suffer the same fate of finding jars of pickles/preserves at the back of the cupboard that you pought the previous christmas cos you thout it might be nice :rolleyes: And you never ever touch them.

My mums the world's worsed. She buys tinned produce as if there's going to be a seige. If ever there is a 4 minute warning, I'm going to me mums. She'll keep us all wel fed for the next 6 months

Hoppy's right about the sell by/use by date. The sell by date gives the retailer a lot od elbow room so it can be eaten long after the date. Use your nose its a good indicator
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
buttercup

No more waste.

Post by buttercup »

Oscar ask Mr O if he would be up for a challenge.

The challenge is we must make all meals & snacks for next week with what meat, fish ect is already in our freezer's & supplies that are available in cupboards, no cheating & popping out to the shops for a certain veg or can of something.

Menu's to be posted and no wastage by the end of the week, think he'd be up for it?

I only have 1/2 a loaf of fresh bread & 6 rolls in the freezer so might struggle there & have to make my own which i have never done as i love bread but hey, never said it would be easy :sneaky:

p.s - I am not particularly well stocked so kinda hoping your the same lol
Oscar Namechange

No more waste.

buttercup;1298401 wrote: Oscar ask Mr O if he would be up for a challenge.

The challenge is we must make all meals & snacks for next week with what meat, fish ect is already in our freezer's & supplies that are available in cupboards, no cheating & popping out to the shops for a certain veg or can of something.

Menu's to be posted and no wastage by the end of the week, think he'd be up for it?

I only have 1/2 a loaf of fresh bread & 6 rolls in the freezer so might struggle there & have to make my own which i have never done as i love bread but hey, never said it would be easy :sneaky:

p.s - I am not particularly well stocked so kinda hoping your the same lol

He would love that BC but the problem would be that If your not already stocked, you would lose :wah:

We could live for a week alone on the stock of various pasta and rice In the cupboard. One of the simplist meals, Is Tuna, rice and Kidney beans although I am boycotting Blue Fin Tuna at the moment. The tins of tuna In the cupboard are actually cat food but we could live on it If war broke out.

My husband goes further than food..

He finds a use for everything.

Old fleeces are cut up to clean the car, even Underpants are used for dusting as well as old socks.

He uses white vinegar and left over lemon juice to polish the glass and uses tomatoe sauce for polishing the chrome In the bathroom.
theia

No more waste.

Post by theia »

Snowfire;1298305 wrote: Bubble and Squeek is the traditional and best way of using up the vegatables from the previous day or two, longer if frozen like Oscar suggests. Keep bananas away from other fruit. The gas given off by them accellerates the ripening process

I suffer the same fate of finding jars of pickles/preserves at the back of the cupboard that you pought the previous christmas cos you thout it might be nice :rolleyes: And you never ever touch them.

My mums the world's worsed. She buys tinned produce as if there's going to be a seige. If ever there is a 4 minute warning, I'm going to me mums. She'll keep us all wel fed for the next 6 months

Hoppy's right about the sell by/use by date. The sell by date gives the retailer a lot od elbow room so it can be eaten long after the date. Use your nose its a good indicator

'Fraid not...that's me...and my kids say the same as you :yh_rotfl
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
theia

No more waste.

Post by theia »

oscar;1298409 wrote: He would love that BC but the problem would be that If your not already stocked, you would lose :wah:

We could live for a week alone on the stock of various pasta and rice In the cupboard. One of the simplist meals, Is Tuna, rice and Kidney beans although I am boycotting Blue Fin Tuna at the moment. The tins of tuna In the cupboard are actually cat food but we could live on it If war broke out.

Old fleeces are cut up to clean the car, even Underpants are used for dusting as well as old socks.

He uses white vinegar and left over lemon juice to polish the glass and uses tomatoe sauce for polishing the chrome In the bathroom.

Love it, Oscar...it took me back to childhood...there was always an old pair of white y-fronts in the cleaning cupboard :wah:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Rapunzel

No more waste.

Post by Rapunzel »

oscar;1298179 wrote:

We have a grey bin for rubbish, a black bin for glass bottles and jars, a green bin for recycling and a brown bin for composting.

ALL food waste has to go into the brown composting bin, including egg shells and used tea bags. So for old jars of food you empty the food into a special bio-degradable food bag, for composting, the metal lid goes into the green bin with tins, papers, plastic bottles, card etc for recycling and the glass jar goes into the black bin for glass recycling.

Really we could recycle far more than we do. Everyone fills their black bins full with rubbish which could be recycled. It should only be half full with cellophane and unrecyclable containers (which the manufacturers should be MADE to make recyclable!)

I also send all old clothes and books to the charity shop. Even tatty old clothes and odd socks go because they are recycled into thing like aeroplane blankets!

I have seen pencils made from recycled plastic cups and pens made from recycled game consoles. I have even seen book covers and pencil cases made from recycled tyres!
Rapunzel

No more waste.

Post by Rapunzel »

Snowfire;1298305 wrote:

Unfortunately, the supermarkets all chuck out any food thats past it's sell by date. They lock it into huge rubbish containers so the tramps can't eat it and get sick. Although they think it's all right for the tramps to starve!

WHY can't large stores mark food down for customers on benefits or low incomes, when it is close to its sell by date?

Why can't they send it to homeless shelters to feed the poor starving people living on the streets?

Why are they allowed to put thousands of pounds worth of food into landfill sites EVERY SINGLE DAY???

It's sheer bureaucratic madness!!! :-5:-5:-5:-5:-5
Oscar Namechange

No more waste.

theia;1298425 wrote: Love it, Oscar...it took me back to childhood...there was always an old pair of white y-fronts in the cleaning cupboard :wah:
Yes, but, he washes these old underpants and socks for cleaning next time. He hangs them on the line and god forbid, passing strangers believe that Is his best Underwear !!!
Bevdee

No more waste.

Post by Bevdee »

I throw stale bread in the yard for the birds. I try to buy anything in glass containers. I make salsa that gets eaten very quickly, so I have jars ready to pour it in. I get spices in glass jars, not plastic. I can get my refills in cellophane. I'm trying not to use plastic anymore.

Has anyone ever made leftover stew? Take all the leftovers in your fridge, add it to some tomato sauce, chopped onions. or whatever you want - rice, barley, pasta. it sounds awful but it's really good.
Oscar Namechange

No more waste.

Bevdee;1298445 wrote: I throw stale bread in the yard for the birds. I try to buy anything in glass containers. I make salsa that gets eaten very quickly, so I have jars ready to pour it in. I get spices in glass jars, not plastic. I can get my refills in cellophane. I'm trying not to use plastic anymore.

Has anyone ever made leftover stew? Take all the leftovers in your fridge, add it to some tomato sauce, chopped onions. or whatever you want - rice, barley, pasta. it sounds awful but it's really good.
Tomatoe Salsa Is one of my passions ans specialities. I use very rough chopped Tomatoes, Garlic, onion, Chopped Chilli's and lots of lime Juice... Oh Yum Yum. :driving:
AussiePam

No more waste.

Post by AussiePam »

What are leftovers????

In this household of voracious mouths, I hardly need to wash the plates. :sneaky:

I do however have a well stocked herb and spice cupboard. Sure, I don't use the more unusual spices like say galangal and celery seeds and mace every day, but I feel kind of warm and fuzzy and secure, knowing they are there!! Just going out to check on them now...

:-6
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Bevdee

No more waste.

Post by Bevdee »

Hey Oscar, I have been experimenting with different peppers. Japano (not jalapeno)chili peppers are fierce. I have to wear gloves when I handle them!! but my gosh they're good!! I'm going to try the lime juice- I just throw a little vinegar in it so it will keep a little longer.
Rapunzel

No more waste.

Post by Rapunzel »

Bevdee;1298445 wrote: I get spices in glass jars, not plastic. I can get my refills in cellophane. I'm trying not to use plastic anymore.

You can recycle both glass and plastic. You can't recycle cellophane. :)
Rapunzel

No more waste.

Post by Rapunzel »

oscar;1298446 wrote: Tomatoe Salsa Is one of my passions ans specialities. I use very rough chopped Tomatoes, Garlic, onion, Chopped Chilli's and lots of lime Juice... Oh Yum Yum. :driving:

Lime juice? That's an interesting concept. I love it on tuna but how does it taste with tomato-based foods? It sounds delicious - I must try that! :-6
Bevdee

No more waste.

Post by Bevdee »

True about cellophane. But the whole Farrah plastic thing has me kinda creeped out. The only thing I can recycle locally are aluminum and tin cans.

Real soon!! - I'm going to make shopping bags out of the butts of my old jeans. They'll be big! Sturdy and washable. That's my next project. I have some old tapestry style jackets i'm going to make purses from.

I donate clothes, books, and magazines to nursing homes. Some of the facilities near me are state funded and the residents are so poor.
Bevdee

No more waste.

Post by Bevdee »

I take my paper, mail, etc to work and drop it in the shredder.
hoppy

No more waste.

Post by hoppy »

My X wifey is recycled.:wah:
Oscar Namechange

No more waste.

Bevdee;1298449 wrote: Hey Oscar, I have been experimenting with different peppers. Japano (not jalapeno)chili peppers are fierce. I have to wear gloves when I handle them!! but my gosh they're good!! I'm going to try the lime juice- I just throw a little vinegar in it so it will keep a little longer. The Lime Juice makes the Salsa. It gives It a very clean, refreshing taste that I love. It really cleanses the Palette and I use around 6 limes In each batch.

I buy my Ja;apeno peppers In a local Turkish deli. They are of a higher strength and your right about wearing gloves for the Chilli's.

This is the basic recipee I use for salsa but I do add alot more lime for the Zing Factor.

Fresh Tomato Salsa Recipe

Ingredients

2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes (from 1 lb to 1 1/2 lb), stems removed, finely diced

1/2 red onion, finely diced

1 jalapeño chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced

1 serano chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced

Juice of one lime

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: oregano and or cumin to taste

Method

1 Start with chopping up 2 medium sized fresh tomatoes. Prepare the chilies. Set aside some of the seeds from the peppers. If the salsa isn't hot enough, you can add a few for heat.

2 Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Taste. If the chilies make the salsa too hot, add some more chopped tomato. If not hot enough, carefully add a few of the seeds from the chilies, or add some ground cumin.

Let sit for an hour for the flavors to combine.

Makes approximately 3-4 cups.

Serve with chips, tortillas, tacos, burritos, tostadas, quesadillas, pinto or black beans.
Odie

No more waste.

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1298463 wrote: My X wifey is recycled.:wah:

oh Hoppy!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
AussiePam

No more waste.

Post by AussiePam »

hoppy;1298463 wrote: My X wifey is recycled.:wah:

Recycling ex-partners is probably the better way to go - but composting is somehow more satisfying, er, I'm told!! :sneaky:

Odie

No more waste.

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1298472 wrote: Recycling ex-partners is probably the better way to go - but composting is somehow more satisfying, er, I'm told!! :sneaky:

hmmmmmmm that reminds me.........
Oscar Namechange

No more waste.

AussiePam;1298472 wrote: Recycling ex-partners is probably the better way to go - but composting is somehow more satisfying, er, I'm told!! :sneaky: Ex husbands are very much like compost.... Always In the dark and full of S*it.
AussiePam

No more waste.

Post by AussiePam »

Using an office shredder also works!!

Odie

No more waste.

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1298490 wrote: Using an office shredder also works!!

that means cutting him up first, then all that blood to clean up.

a wood chipper would work nicely.:D
hoppy

No more waste.

Post by hoppy »

oscar;1298478 wrote: Ex husbands are very much like compost.... Always In the dark and full of S*it.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
buttercup

No more waste.

Post by buttercup »

oscar;1298409 wrote: He would love that BC but the problem would be that If your not already stocked, you would lose :wah:

Your husband sounds great, coax him into doing a Mr O's use for everything thread, i'm keen to hear all his tips.
buttercup

No more waste.

Post by buttercup »

AussiePam;1298448 wrote: What are leftovers????

In this household of voracious mouths, I hardly need to wash the plates. :sneaky:

I do however have a well stocked herb and spice cupboard. Sure, I don't use the more unusual spices like say galangal and celery seeds and mace every day, but I feel kind of warm and fuzzy and secure, knowing they are there!! Just going out to check on them now...

:-6

Did you find some out of date Pammy? :sneaky:
Oscar Namechange

No more waste.

buttercup;1298513 wrote: Your husband sounds great, coax him into doing a Mr O's use for everything thread, i'm keen to hear all his tips.
Do you think peeps will be Interested?
buttercup

No more waste.

Post by buttercup »

Well i am, i'm sure others would be. ;)
Oscar Namechange

No more waste.

buttercup;1298547 wrote: Well i am, i'm sure others would be. ;) I'll coax him. The more time he spends doing that, the less time he'll have for organising his rice In alphabetical order:wah:

Here's one of his to start with:

Save Cheese that's gone hard and grate for substituting Parmasan Cheese.
buttercup

No more waste.

Post by buttercup »

How does he make cheddar taste like parmasan :-3:sneaky:
Oscar Namechange

No more waste.

buttercup;1298578 wrote: How does he make cheddar taste like parmasan :-3:sneaky: If It's been kicking around a while In the fridge, It takes on a much stronger flavour.

My husband has a board marker pen In the kitchen. He draws faces on hard boiled eggs so we know the difference In the fridge.

He marks packs of eggs In date order as we use alot due to the foxes having them also.

He marked the packs of chicken once, 1,2,3, and 4. Until I pointed out that they were foxes and really did not worry about sell by dates.
buttercup

No more waste.

Post by buttercup »

:wah::wah::wah:
theia

No more waste.

Post by theia »

oscar;1298442 wrote: Yes, but, he washes these old underpants and socks for cleaning next time. He hangs them on the line and god forbid, passing strangers believe that Is his best Underwear !!!

:yh_rotfl
Bevdee

No more waste.

Post by Bevdee »

oscar;1298465 wrote: The Lime Juice makes the Salsa. It gives It a very clean, refreshing taste that I love. It really cleanses the Palette and I use around 6 limes In each batch.

I buy my Ja;apeno peppers In a local Turkish deli. They are of a higher strength and your right about wearing gloves for the Chilli's.

This is the basic recipee I use for salsa but I do add alot more lime for the Zing Factor.

Fresh Tomato Salsa Recipe

Ingredients

2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes (from 1 lb to 1 1/2 lb), stems removed, finely diced

1/2 red onion, finely diced

1 jalapeño chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced

1 serano chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced

Juice of one lime

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: oregano and or cumin to taste

Method

1 Start with chopping up 2 medium sized fresh tomatoes. Prepare the chilies. Set aside some of the seeds from the peppers. If the salsa isn't hot enough, you can add a few for heat.

2 Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Taste. If the chilies make the salsa too hot, add some more chopped tomato. If not hot enough, carefully add a few of the seeds from the chilies, or add some ground cumin.

Let sit for an hour for the flavors to combine.

Makes approximately 3-4 cups.

Serve with chips, tortillas, tacos, burritos, tostadas, quesadillas, pinto or black beans.

Oscah!! Thanks for the recipe!! It can't be too hot. My guy and I have salsa eatin contests. He finally got me with some cajun hot sauces. I had projectile tears shoot from my eyes!!!

Return to “The Kitchen”