Pork crackling

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
buttercup

Pork crackling

Post by buttercup »

Getting it just right...........

What's your best tips other than scoring and rubbing salt in.
Oscar Namechange

Pork crackling

Post by Oscar Namechange »

buttercup;1287127 wrote: Getting it just right...........

What's your best tips other than scoring and rubbing salt in.
I adore Crackling and still use the way my mother showed me when she taught to me to cook.

Salt Is Indeed the key but not Table Salt. Rock salt is better for drawing the mositure out of the skin as the dryer the skin, the crispier it will go. If the Joint has arrived already Scored, score again to make the slices narrower.

Rock Salt has a far less salty taste to table salt so you can really be generous. Take your time rubbing It in to get as much Into the skin as possible but when you have finished, sprinkle a fine layer of rock salt to sit on top of the skin in the oven. When you first put you joint of Pork into the oven, put your oven on to the highest heat possible. When It's reached maximum heat, put your meat In without covering. The high heat will blister the skin helping to make It crispier. It will also seal your meat which will help the keep the meat moist. Turn the oven down after 20 minutes to the required heat. Turn your meat tray around In the oven every so often so that all sides of the Crackling get crisped up.

Just before the meat Is ready to serve, remove the Crackling and remove any part that Is not fully crisp. You can pop these parts back In the oven while you are dishing up, to get them to crisp.

Hope this helps.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
buttercup

Pork crackling

Post by buttercup »

Thank you Oscar, will follow your instructions tonight, Andy loves crackling.

Return to “The Kitchen”