It's time for Holiday cookies!!!

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Holiday Cookies!

It's that time of year again! Today I got started on all of my Holiday baking. I just finished baking some sugar cookies... you know the ones that you cut out with cookie cutters and sprinkle that coloured sugar on top of or drizzle royal icing over? I made some of those then I made some traditional snickerdoodles, no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies, peanut butter... I know their not Chr_stmas cookies, but they're my favourite!, eggnog cookies, shortbread and some snowball cookies (some of you may refer to these as Mexican wedding cookies) oh, and I pulled out something new from out of my butt... so to speak and got rave reviews from my Mother and my UPS delivery guy who has been working overtime because of my online shopping sprees recently. :wah:

G-man's Chr_stmas-y Cookies that-don't-have-a-name-yet recipe:

Pre-heat oven to 375° F (350° F if you're using a dark coloured cookie sheet)

Ingredients:

2¼ C unbleached all-purpose flour

1 T baking soda

¼ t salt

2 sticks of butter (softened at room temperature or toss in microwave for ten seconds to soften)

¾ C refined, granulated sugar or equivalent

⅔ C light brown sugar

2 large eggs

½ t vanillla

1½ C white chocolate chips

½-¾ C cherry flavour chips

½-1 C chopped green pistachio nuts

Instructions:

Combine first set of ingredients in mixing bowl. In a second mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar then stir in two eggs, vanilla and mix. Slowly combine dry ingredients from first bowl into creamed ingredients until fully incorporated. Finally add the rest of ingredients until just mixed in then cool in refrigerator until firm (10-20 minutes).

Using a tablespoon scoop out heaping spoonfuls of cookie dough onto cookiesheet lined with parchment paper and bake for nine minutes or just until golden brown one half inch or so around the edges. Allow to cool just enough to remove from cookiesheet.

This is the first time I've ever made these cookies, so keep an eye out for them as they cook as different ovens cook differently. These cookies are very flavourful and will fill a very large kitchen with their aroma, so beware. :wah:

The tasters who've tried these gave me rave reviews and my dog Nadia was going nuts for them before they were finished baking, so they're probably pretty good. :p If you make these let me know how they turn out and whether or not the recipe needs adjustment or if you've adjusted the ingredients to your own preference.

What cookies are y'all baking this year? Feel free to share your own favourite recipes, too! :D

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G-Man, you bake cookies?? I'm totally impressed. I haven't baked Christmas cookies for years but this year I'm going to because my baby brother is coming out from Kentucky and in his honor I'm going to do some old fashioned baking. Peppermint pinwheels, nut tassies, Italian wedding cookies, frosted sugar cookies, and some others that I'll have to go through my 50 or so cookbooks to find recipes for. I'll make some fudge & divinity too, like my mother used to make. Of course I'll have to lose 30 lbs before I start baking or run around the block every time I taste one. :-6
G-man

Post by G-man »

Zapata;1268373 wrote: G-Man, you bake cookies?? I'm totally impressed. I haven't baked Christmas cookies for years but this year I'm going to because my baby brother is coming out from Kentucky and in his honor I'm going to do some old fashioned baking. Peppermint pinwheels, nut tassies, Italian wedding cookies, frosted sugar cookies, and some others that I'll have to go through my 50 or so cookbooks to find recipes for. I'll make some fudge & divinity too, like my mother used to make. Of course I'll have to lose 30 lbs before I start baking or run around the block every time I taste one. :-6

I do it all. :D Those cookies I just made turned out to be a big hit. I'm going to make another batch and see how those turn out. Peppermint pinwheels sound good... I've never made those. I believe Italian and Mexican wedding cookies are the same.

Today I'm going to make some candy! Divinity and fudge, of course and I'm going to make some buckeyes and bon bons. :D

I'm already being told I need to watch my weight, too... I can't eat like I used to, after being ill and now apparently everything is back to normal. I'm not too bad, though... only 35 pounds over, but I'm still gaining... not fat, but definitely pudgy. :p

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1268346 wrote: Holiday Cookies!

It's that time of year again! Today I got started on all of my Holiday baking. I just finished baking some sugar cookies... you know the ones that you cut out with cookie cutters and sprinkle that coloured sugar on top of or drizzle royal icing over? I made some of those then I made some traditional snickerdoodles, no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies, peanut butter... I know their not Chr_stmas cookies, but they're my favourite!, eggnog cookies, shortbread and some snowball cookies (some of you may refer to these as Mexican wedding cookies) oh, and I pulled out something new from out of my butt... so to speak and got rave reviews from my Mother and my UPS delivery guy who has been working overtime because of my online shopping sprees recently. :wah:

G-man's Chr_stmas-y Cookies that-don't-have-a-name-yet recipe:

Pre-heat oven to 375° F (350° F if you're using a dark coloured cookie sheet)

Ingredients:

2¼ C unbleached all-purpose flour

1 T baking soda

¼ t salt

2 sticks of butter (softened at room temperature or toss in microwave for ten seconds to soften)

¾ C refined, granulated sugar or equivalent

⅔ C light brown sugar

2 large eggs

½ t vanillla

1½ C white chocolate chips

½-¾ C cherry flavour chips

½-1 C chopped green pistachio nuts

Instructions:

Combine first set of ingredients in mixing bowl. In a second mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar then stir in two eggs, vanilla and mix. Slowly combine dry ingredients from first bowl into creamed ingredients until fully incorporated. Finally add the rest of ingredients until just mixed in then cool in refrigerator until firm (10-20 minutes).

Using a tablespoon scoop out heaping spoonfuls of cookie dough onto cookiesheet lined with parchment paper and bake for nine minutes or just until golden brown one half inch or so around the edges. Allow to cool just enough to remove from cookiesheet.

This is the first time I've ever made these cookies, so keep an eye out for them as they cook as different ovens cook differently. These cookies are very flavourful and will fill a very large kitchen with their aroma, so beware. :wah:

The tasters who've tried these gave me rave reviews and my dog Nadia was going nuts for them before they were finished baking, so they're probably pretty good. :p If you make these let me know how they turn out and whether or not the recipe needs adjustment or if you've adjusted the ingredients to your own preference.

What cookies are y'all baking this year? Feel free to share your own favourite recipes, too! :D

cherry flavor chips? never heard of those.

pistachio nuts to?

omg.........these sound just incredible!

are they soft and chewy?

could you please just send me 6?

I will give you my address.:)
Life is just to short for drama.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1268552 wrote: cherry flavor chips? never heard of those.

pistachio nuts to?

omg.........these sound just incredible!

are they soft and chewy?

could you please just send me 6?

I will give you my address.:)

Try WalMart... they have all kinds of chips. Everyone loves them that has tried them so far! Yes, they are soft and chewy... melt in your mouth. :D

Only a half dozen? How about a baker's dozen? :p

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1268553 wrote: Try WalMart... they have all kinds of chips. Everyone loves them that has tried them so far! Yes, they are soft and chewy... melt in your mouth. :D

Only a half dozen? How about a baker's dozen? :p

oh a dozen would be so nice for Odie this Christmas.:(

I must look at wal-mart....never knew they existed.

mmmmmmmmmmmm cherries!
minks

Post by minks »

my momma makes a marvey whipped shortbread, she presses them out into xmas tree, santa and star shapes. They are delectible. yummmmy
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
G-man

Post by G-man »

minks;1268564 wrote: my momma makes a marvey whipped shortbread, she presses them out into xmas tree, santa and star shapes. They are delectible. yummmmy

I love shortbread!!!

minks

Post by minks »

G-man;1268570 wrote: I love shortbread!!!

oh ya me too specially the stuff that melts in your mouth delicious

― Mae West
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1268564 wrote: my momma makes a marvey whipped shortbread, she presses them out into xmas tree, santa and star shapes. They are delectible. yummmmy

yummy....

....I also make a buttery creamy shortbread.....mmmmmmmm!
G-man

Post by G-man »

Everybody should make shortbread for The Holidays. :D

I had success with the fudge today... despite the weather. :D

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1268851 wrote: Everybody should make shortbread for The Holidays. :D

oh oh.....you said the word fudge....Jazzy loves fudge!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Saw my trash guy today...i make him choc chip cookies for xmas but he will get them earlier this year as his bday is before xmas:wah:
G-man

Post by G-man »

Where's Jazzy at?

That's very nice, Ducky. I need to take care of my UPS guy and the mailman. Maybe I should bake them some Chr_stmas treats instead of giving them a gift certificate or something?

minks

Post by minks »

G-man;1269060 wrote: Where's Jazzy at?

That's very nice, Ducky. I need to take care of my A guy and the mailman. Maybe I should bake them some Chr_stmas treats instead of giving them a gift certificate or something?

ooo send me some crimiss baking via U&PS... make sure the cute UPS guy delivers them in his santa suit ok :D

― Mae West
G-man

Post by G-man »

minks;1269096 wrote: ooo send me some crimiss baking via U&PS... make sure the cute UPS guy delivers them in his santa suit ok :D

Heck... I may just hav'ta deliver 'em myself! I just need to get me a Santa suit first. :wah:

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

G-man;1269060 wrote: Where's Jazzy at?

Did you call? I'm right here waiting to sample your fudge :D
minks

Post by minks »

G-man;1269107 wrote: Heck... I may just hav'ta deliver 'em myself! I just need to fit in me Santa suit first. :wah:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

― Mae West
Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1269107 wrote: Heck... I may just hav'ta deliver 'em myself! I just need to get me a Santa suit first. :wah:

egg nog will do that!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hey! I saw that! I may have a bit of a ponch now, but it still doesn't jiggle like a bowl full of jelly! :yh_rotfl

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1269248 wrote: Hey! I saw that! I may have a bit of a ponch now, but it still doesn't jiggle like a bowl full of jelly! :yh_rotfl

I meant so you could put on some weight!:yh_rotfl

mine doesn't jiggly, well, its ah, just there!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G-man;1268851 wrote: Everybody should make shortbread for The Holidays. :D

Why don't you send some of that to me and I'll let you know if it's good or not. Send LOTS!! :-6
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1269295 wrote: I meant so you could put on some weight!:yh_rotfl

mine doesn't jiggly, well, its ah, just there!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I put on quite a bit of weight, but... enough to be considered overweight and get my trainer's attention, still far from Santa big, though! :wah:

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1269325 wrote: I put on quite a bit of weight, but... enough to be considered overweight and get my trainer's attention, still far from Santa big, though! :wah:

ahah, I thought you had lost to much due to being sick,

nice to have a personal trainer eh?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
PennyG

Post by PennyG »

Good recipe and i plan to start on my baking next week or the early part of the week after.:)
Odie

Post by Odie »

PennyG;1269452 wrote: Good recipe and i plan to start on my baking next week or the early part of the week after.:)

HI Penny nice to see you back!:guitarist

do you have a lot to bake?

I just do my shortbread's, chocolate/oatmeal/coconut drops,and chocolate peanut butter balls.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1269368 wrote: ahah, I thought you had lost to much due to being sick,

nice to have a personal trainer eh?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I did. I was pretty much dead (that's no exaggeration, either), but I'm back to normal now. Well, I'm heavier than I've ever been, which doesn't bother me too much, it's just that it's happening too quickly. It is nice to have a personal trainer... I had one for years when I was really competetive and she was also my PT when I was recovering. Anyway, my girlfriend doesn't care for her too much. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what I'll do today... I'm supposed to be writing now, but hit an obstacle, so I'm taking a break. I DO have to buy a car soon, so I may do that today instead of baking more Holiday treats.

G-man

Post by G-man »

PennyG;1269452 wrote: Good recipe and i plan to start on my baking next week or the early part of the week after.:)

Thank you. Feel free to post your own favourite recipes... unless they're secret or summat'? I've got a few of those secret recipes, too. :D

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1269467 wrote: I did. I was pretty much dead (that's no exaggeration, either), but I'm back to normal now. Well, I'm heavier than I've ever been, which doesn't bother me too much, it's just that it's happening too quickly. It is nice to have a personal trainer... I had one for years when I was really competetive and she was also my PT when I was recovering. Anyway, my girlfriend doesn't care for her too much. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what I'll do today... I'm supposed to be writing now, but hit an obstacle, so I'm taking a break. I DO have to buy a car soon, so I may do that today instead of baking more Holiday treats.

I'm so happy to hear now your weight is back to normal.

I've often wished I could afford a personal trainer as they know which exercises and how much to do, suited to that persons needs.

I did some Christmas shopping. I received my first Christmas card today from Ally! She's been laid up for months due to 2 different shoulder surgeries, I will be so happy when she returns here.:-6

Which vehicles interest you? How about the Dodge Challenger, its got the hemi.:driving:

I also like the Honda Accord, Mike just bought one, and its spectular!

a Porsche 911 passed me by today, I waved but doubt he saw me!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G-man, how do you store your Christmas cookies? Freeze them or what? I used to put them in big tins but I don't have any. Oh and since my daughter told me Thumbprints are her favorite, I'll add that to my list.
G-man

Post by G-man »

That's one of the cars I'm looking at... the Hemi! :D

Zapata;1269871 wrote: G-man, how do you store your Christmas cookies? Freeze them or what? I used to put them in big tins but I don't have any. Oh and since my daughter told me Thumbprints are her favorite, I'll add that to my list.
I bake some, freeze some on trays and others fit into Ziploc freezer bags. The candy will pretty much hold for a few weeks. Tins and covered trays are great, too!

Odie

Post by Odie »

I've always been a Dodge girl, now that they have renewed the hemi, oh baby!:guitarist
Peg

Post by Peg »

I made kiss cookies today. I have the balls rolled for the buckeyes. Now I am getting ready to make double peanut butter cookies.
G-man

Post by G-man »

I was just working a deal out with the dealer online. I suppose I've always been into Chevy's, but I don't really have a preference towards one brand. I've been through hell and kicked it's ass, so I think I deserve whatever-the-heck I want! :D

You're a Buckeye and you're making buckeyes! I made a few already, but they never last long around here! :wah: Anytime I've ever made 'em for somebody they're ALWAYS a big favourite!

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I did a trial run on Thumbprints today. I'd forgotten how messy they can be. I frosted them with red, white & green-Italian colors and I'll take them to my daughters tomorrow where a bunch of us gather to watch Sunday football.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1270216 wrote: I did a trial run on Thumbprints today. I'd forgotten how messy they can be. I frosted them with red, white & green-Italian colors and I'll take them to my daughters tomorrow where a bunch of us gather to watch Sunday football.

oh how cool with you colours on them!:guitarist

what kind of cookie are Thumbprints?
Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1270142 wrote: I was just working a deal out with the dealer online. I suppose I've always been into Chevy's, but I don't really have a preference towards one brand. I've been through hell and kicked it's ass, so I think I deserve whatever-the-heck I want! :D

You're a Buckeye and you're making buckeyes! I made a few already, but they never last long around here! :wah: Anytime I've ever made 'em for somebody they're ALWAYS a big favourite!

Trade you my buckeye balls for the ones you make with cherry chips and pistachios?:guitarist

I make mine quite large, the balls are really heavy!:yh_rotfl
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1270224 wrote: Trade you my buckeye balls for the ones you make with cherry chips and pistachios?:guitarist

I make mine quite large, the balls are really heavy!:yh_rotfl

I've got enough balls, thank you very much. :p

So you're saying that you like big balls? :-3 These aren't like Chef's chocolate salty balls are they? :wah:

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Odie;1270223 wrote: oh how cool with you colours on them!:guitarist

what kind of cookie are Thumbprints?

Odie, Thumbprints are sugar, butter, egg yolks, vanilla, salt & flour mixed and formed into a quartersized ball, dipped in egg white, rolled in walnut crumbs, flattened out and pressed with your thumb. In that depression you put either jam or some other filling. I put butter cream icing.

I ate all the ones that fell apart & now I'm sick.:(:yh_sick
Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1270251 wrote: I've got enough balls, thank you very much. :p

So you're saying that you like big balls? :-3 These aren't like Chef's chocolate salty balls are they? :wah:

can't stop laughing.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Chef is the best!:wah::wah::wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1270264 wrote: Odie, Thumbprints are sugar, butter, egg yolks, vanilla, salt & flour mixed and formed into a quartersized ball, dipped in egg white, rolled in walnut crumbs, flattened out and pressed with your thumb. In that depression you put either jam or some other filling. I put butter cream icing.

I ate all the ones that fell apart & now I'm sick.:(:yh_sick

oh my Zapata, those are the ones my DIL makes me, but she shapes them into balls.

-and she doesn't put a filling inside

oh gosh, those are just so good!:guitarist:guitarist

I can only imagine them with jam or butter cream icing.:-6

I do the same when I make my buckeye balls and creamy shortbread, eat all the crumbs & the ones that feel apart and feel soooooo sick!:yh_rotfl
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1270269 wrote: can't stop laughing.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Chef is the best!:wah::wah::wah:

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody's got a recipe out there for those! :yh_rotfl

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1270277 wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if somebody's got a recipe out there for those! :yh_rotfl

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I had to watch it again, so it's on youtube of course, did you know Isaac Hayes was Chef's voice? I didn't, huh.
Yaaaaaaaaay

Post by Yaaaaaaaaay »

Sounds good! Ill have to try them out!
Go ahead push my "why?" button. I dare you. [Link removed by moderator]
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1270278 wrote: ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I had to watch it again, so it's on youtube of course, did you know Isaac Hayes was Chef's voice? I didn't, huh.

Isaac Hayes be cool, yo'! Know what I'm sayin'? :D

Speaking of... well... I made some chocolate cake snowmen with powdered sugar coating and some icing... a few looked like their throats were slit because of the red icing I used to make scarves and the icing bled(which I should've taken as a premonition in hindsight). Anyway... this morning, when I came downstairs, the snowmen were dark brown! :yh_rotfl

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I like mangled snowman cookies. And fudge.
Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1273346 wrote: Isaac Hayes be cool, yo'! Know what I'm sayin'? :D

Speaking of... well... I made some chocolate cake snowmen with powdered sugar coating and some icing... a few looked like their throats were slit because of the red icing I used to make scarves and the icing bled(which I should've taken as a premonition in hindsight). Anyway... this morning, when I came downstairs, the snowmen were dark brown! :yh_rotfl

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I'll take the ones that you threw out.:(:(
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1273362 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I'll take the ones that you threw out.:(:(

Threw out? No snowman is making it outa' here alive!!! I'll bite their heads off first! :wah:

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1273515 wrote: Threw out? No snowman is making it outa' here alive!!! I'll bite their heads off first! :wah:

fine, then don't share.:p

Return to “The Kitchen”