Christmas Day Breakfast

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
mrsK

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by mrsK »

Is there something traditional you cook for breakfast on Xmas day?

We have ham,eggs,tomato & toast.

I would like to try something different this year.

Any suggestions would be great.:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
kayleneaussie

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by kayleneaussie »

We have the same Mrsk1:D I bet Pam could give us a good breakfast menu for Christmas though .....
FOC THREAD PART 1
AussiePam

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by AussiePam »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Kaylene but we just graze a bit on Christmas morning - fresh summer fruit (especially peaches and cherries) and the first carving of ham. As we are always late up for Midnight Mass on Christmas eve, we start late - brekkie first, then present opening, followed by chilled champers. Then we all scoot out for a while (? to the beach or for a bush walk) - and I come back early enough to put the smallest turkey I can get into the oven.. stuffing, bread sauce, and the usual trimmings. Traditional English, but we eat late afternoon/ early evening when it's cooler. I used to do plum pudding and brandy custard and nuts etc.. but it's too much!!

So nothing very creative there. I've had a few goes at varying the menu, but the fam want the day the way they have always had it!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Mustang

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by Mustang »

mrsK;1264464 wrote: Is there something traditional you cook for breakfast on Xmas day?

We have ham,eggs,tomato & toast.

I would like to try something different this year.

Any suggestions would be great.:-6

We have Belgium waffles topped with fresh strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream. Maple flavored sausage links on the side. Coffee and a glass of orange juice.
hoppy

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by hoppy »

oatmeal, coffee.
Odie

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by Odie »

This one is a tradition in our family, its easy and you can make it the night before and its sooooooooooo delicious!

we also have croissants and jams.

CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

12 slices white bread

2-3 tbsp. butter, softened

1/2 c. butter

1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced

2 c. yellow onions, thinly sliced

Salt & pepper to taste

1 1/2 lb. wild sausage

1 lb. cheddar cheese, grated

5 eggs

2 1/2 c. milk

3 tsp. Dijon mustard

1 tsp. dry mustard

1 tsp. nutmeg

2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Remove bread crusts and butter bread with soft butter. Melt 1/2 cup butter in a 10-12 inch skillet and brown onions and mushrooms over medium heat until tender (about 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Cook sausage and cut in bite- size pieces.

Grease an 11 x 7 inch casserole. Layer 1/2 of bread, mushroom mixture, sausage and cheese. Repeat layers with cheese on top. Mix eggs, milk, mustards, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Before baking, sprinkle with fresh parsley. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until bubbly.

A good make ahead breakfast that cooks while the presents are being opened Christmas morning.
Life is just to short for drama.
Chezzie

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by Chezzie »

How about smoked salmon and scrambled egg with toast or pancakes on the side?

Served with a bucks fizz:-6
Chezzie

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by Chezzie »

One year we had warm Croissants filled with cheese and bacon (or parma ham for a lighter touch)? Yum

OR

Omelettes are the ultimate quick and easy breakfast. Trouble is, they are best made individually and if you have more than two to feed it can turn into a long, involved process.

To feed four people, break 6 eggs into a jug, add a splash of milk, salt and pepper then beat lightly. A few suggestions for fillings (omit the meat for vegetarians), mix and match as you like: Half a thinly-sliced onion, three to four strips of streaky bacon chopped up, sliced mushrooms, chopped red or yellow peppers, fresh herbs, strips of ham or chorizo sausage, spring onions, cooked and sliced new potatoes.

Heat a little butter in a frying pan and gently fry your choice of ingredients until soft. Pour over the eggs, reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Leave to cook gently for 5-10 minutes, depending on how large and deep the pan is. The egg mixture should be just set but still wobbly.

Preheat the grill. Lay some tomato slices on top and sprinkle with Cheddar or Gruyere cheese. Grill until the cheese is melted and serve immediately in wedges with granary toast. Serve it with crusty bread and butter or roll or toast.
AussiePam

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by AussiePam »

Chezzie;1264585 wrote: How about smoked salmon and scrambled egg with toast or pancakes on the side?

Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs - PERFECT brekkie!!!!!! Please serve mine with some crusty French bread and a mimosa!!!! SWOOOON

(I'm coming to your place for Chrissie, Chez!!!)

Omelet too is one of my favourite anytime meals. I often make the souffle variety - separating whites and whisking them hard first. No filling necessary. The eggs taste fantastic just on their own. Salad on the side.

along-for-the-ride

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Georgia Christmas Breakfast

Waking up to the smells of southern pancakes, grits and southern coffee is pure Heaven! Send this down-home southern breakfast basket for a memorable holiday!

Little Details:

The Georgia Mountain Breakfast Includes:

Southern Pancake Mix

Georgia Stone Ground Grits

Southern Pecan Syrup

Georgia Chunky Peach Syrup

Southern Peach Butter

Georgia Peach Preserves

Peaches & Cream Coffee

Southern Pecan Coffee

Peach Hard Candy

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
mrsK

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by mrsK »

Thanks for the suggestions they all sound fantastic:-6:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
AussiePam

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by AussiePam »

Way too hot to sleep, MrsK!!!

I'm melting.

Chezzie

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by Chezzie »

AussiePam;1264665 wrote: Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs - PERFECT brekkie!!!!!! Please serve mine with some crusty French bread and a mimosa!!!! SWOOOON

(I'm coming to your place for Chrissie, Chez!!!)

Omelet too is one of my favourite anytime meals. I often make the souffle variety - separating whites and whisking them hard first. No filling necessary. The eggs taste fantastic just on their own. Salad on the side.

I love eggs any which way...:-4
Kathy Ellen

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh, I love all of your ideas....thanks:-6

This is our favorite....

Egg and cheese souffle called "Pouf"

You can make this the night before or at least an hour before and let sit in fridge.....

You can also add wheat bread combined with a good white bread to add more flavor & different cheeses. I have also experimented with adding more eggs & cheese...

I like to beat the eggs and milk with salt, pepper and mustard first. Then I layer cheese & bread in a 2 qt casserole dish . This recipe also works if you make it the day before and cook it in the morning. Perfect to have it all prepared when you wake up! This recipe makes a nice addition for a brunch, perhaps served with bacon or sasuage.

Ingredients:

8 slices white bread --no crusts

1 8 oz cheese slices (sharp cheddar)

1/4 cup melted butter

3 eggs beaten

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

3/4 tsp dry mustard

2 cups milk

Method:

Beat the eggs and milk with salt, pepper and mustard. Layer bread and cheese in a 2 qt casserole dish and pour the egg mixture over.

Bake in a 350 F degree oven for 30 minutes covered with foil. After that period, remove the foil and cook for another 30 minutes uncovered.

Update: I used both whole-grain white & whole wheat bread, and I increased the temperature to 375F for the last 30 minutes.
AussiePam

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by AussiePam »

My kinda dish, Kathy!!!! YUMMY!!!!!

Odie

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1264820 wrote: Way too hot to sleep, MrsK!!!

I'm melting.

you guys are really having one heck of a hot spring.
Life is just to short for drama.
Chezzie

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by Chezzie »

Kathy Ellen;1264833 wrote: Oh, I love all of your ideas....thanks:-6

This is our favorite....

Egg and cheese souffle called "Pouf"

You can make this the night before or at least an hour before and let sit in fridge.....

You can also add wheat bread combined with a good white bread to add more flavor & different cheeses. I have also experimented with adding more eggs & cheese...

I like to beat the eggs and milk with salt, pepper and mustard first. Then I layer cheese & bread in a 2 qt casserole dish . This recipe also works if you make it the day before and cook it in the morning. Perfect to have it all prepared when you wake up! This recipe makes a nice addition for a brunch, perhaps served with bacon or sasuage.

Ingredients:

8 slices white bread --no crusts

1 8 oz cheese slices (sharp cheddar)

1/4 cup melted butter

3 eggs beaten

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

3/4 tsp dry mustard

2 cups milk

Method:

Beat the eggs and milk with salt, pepper and mustard. Layer bread and cheese in a 2 qt casserole dish and pour the egg mixture over.

Bake in a 350 F degree oven for 30 minutes covered with foil. After that period, remove the foil and cook for another 30 minutes uncovered.

Update: I used both whole-grain white & whole wheat bread, and I increased the temperature to 375F for the last 30 minutes.

I have all those ingredients in so im going have it for my dinner :D

slow cooker is simmering a beef and pearl barley stew ;)
Betty Boop

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by Betty Boop »

The year where it falls that I have the children we either forget, or don't have time for breakfast.

Do you guys really go to all that trouble for breakfast on Christmas day when you'll be spending most of the day in the kitchen preparing turkey and all the trimmings anyway :confused::wah:

That will be my Boxing Day this year anyway. I'm aiming for a day alone at home on Christmas Day, so maybe this year I will have a big brekkie just for me :)
minks

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by minks »

This one has been a long standing tradition of ours at home, it's from the series of cook books called The Best of Bridge... it's delicious and easy

Christmas Morning Wife Saver

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:30

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

16 Slices Bread -- crusts removed

16 Slices Back bacon or ham -- cooked

16 Slices Cheddar cheese -- sharp

6 Eggs

1/2 Tsp -Salt

1/2 Tsp Pepper

1 Tsp Dry Mustard

1/4 C Onion -- minced

1/4 C Green Pepper -- finely chopped

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

3 C Milk -- whole or 2%

1 Ds Tabasco® Sauce

1/4 lb Butter

Cornflakes >

Special K -- crushed

Oven 350° F.

In 9 X 13″ buttered baking dish (use a BIG dish), put 8 pieces of bread, Add

pieces to cover dish entirely. Cover bread with cooked back bacon slices or

ham slices. Lay slices of cheddar cheese on top, then cover with slices of

bread (to make it like a sandwich).

In a bowl, beat, eggs, salt and pepper.To egg mixture, add dry mustard,

onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, milk and Tabasco. Pour over the

'sandwiches'. Cover and let it stand in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, preheat oven to 350° F.

Melt 1/4 lb butter and pour over top. Cover with crushed corn flakes or

Special K cereal. Bake 1 hour in 350° F oven.

Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
qsducks

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by qsducks »

Chezzie;1264585 wrote: How about smoked salmon and scrambled egg with toast or pancakes on the side?

What the heck is bucks fizz?:yh_rotfl Over here that would mean a buck deer possibly peed on your brekkie:yh_rotfl
qsducks

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by qsducks »

Christmas brekkie was eggs, scrapple, toast & fruit...but on new yrs eve morning i made some awful concoction of raisin bread layered with 6 scrambled eggs & milk to pour over it...baked it & then on the recipes suggestion added the cinnamon & syrup...a gooey, over sugared mess which will never have the pleasure of meeting my oven again...complete waste of the eggs imo:wah:
Bryn Mawr

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by Bryn Mawr »

qsducks;1278075 wrote: Christmas brekkie was eggs, scrapple, toast & fruit...but on new yrs eve morning i made some awful concoction of raisin bread layered with 6 scrambled eggs & milk to pour over it...baked it & then on the recipes suggestion added the cinnamon & syrup...a gooey, over sugared mess which will never have the pleasure of meeting my oven again...complete waste of the eggs imo:wah:

:yh_rotfl

Sounds like the recipe was trying for bread and butter pudding - you don't scramble the eggs before mixing them with the milk, it's more like egg custard than scrambled eggs :-

Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe | Quick, Easy, Food & Drink Recipes

Pass on the syrup too - it's already sweet enough but delish if made properly :-6
qsducks

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by qsducks »

Bryn Mawr;1279399 wrote: :yh_rotfl

Sounds like the recipe was trying for bread and butter pudding - you don't scramble the eggs before mixing them with the milk, it's more like egg custard than scrambled eggs :-

Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe | Quick, Easy, Food & Drink Recipes

Pass on the syrup too - it's already sweet enough but delish if made properly :-6

Will have to give that a try Bryn..but the recipe called for the eggs to be scrambled & poured over the bread...it was gross. Will try yours for Easter brekkie.
Bryn Mawr

Christmas Day Breakfast

Post by Bryn Mawr »

qsducks;1285219 wrote: Will have to give that a try Bryn..but the recipe called for the eggs to be scrambled & poured over the bread...it was gross. Will try yours for Easter brekkie.

Not brekkie - as a desert. Too sweet for brekkie.

Return to “The Kitchen”