Sushi...

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Oscar Namechange

Sushi...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I treated myself today to a varied platter of Sushi. It was beautiful and I particually liked the raw fish selection.

There is a shop near me that sells the mat etc to make your own so I'm going to have a go as pre-prepared is horribly expensive.

Does any-one have any advice on best raw fish to us and tips for me?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
CARLA

Sushi...

Post by CARLA »

:eek::yh_sick Cook the fish.. :yh_rotfl Sorry Oscar I don't do Sushi so I don't have any tips or advice. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

Sushi...

CARLA;1262623 wrote: :eek::yh_sick Cook the fish.. :yh_rotfl Sorry Oscar I don't do Sushi so I don't have any tips or advice. ;)
I like it raw :wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Sushi...

Post by spot »

oscar;1262597 wrote: Does any-one have any advice on best raw fish to us and tips for me?Barbel. How can you even ask. Hit it on the head before you slice it up.

The correct tools are a paternoster and a sharp knife, in that order.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Sushi...

spot;1262630 wrote: Barbel. How can you even ask. Hit it on the head before you slice it up.

The correct tools are a paternoster and a sharp knife, in that order. Are you refering to a 'Priest' Spot? It is Illegal to go bonking Barbel on the head as you well know. Besides, Barbel consists mainly of bone. Come on old chap, do be sensible, I'm trying to be serious here,
Odie

Sushi...

Post by Odie »

oscar;1262629 wrote: I like it raw :wah:

no, no, cook the damn fish!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
K.Snyder

Sushi...

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1262630 wrote: Barbel. How can you even ask. Hit it on the head before you slice it up.

The correct tools are a paternoster and a sharp knife, in that order.

Oh dear God, please don't heed this mans advice on this

If you eat barbel raw you'll wish you were dead!

Personally, I wouldn't eat barbel, or carp, if it were cooked thoroughly

I wouldn't even bring myself to indulge my curiosity

------------------

On a much more interesting note(Eyes up! -- OFF THE BARBEL!), I think I would like to try sushi. I'm getting my mind off of the idea of it being raw but I'm certain it's at least cured is that correct?

If not then I doubt I will try it. I mean they don't call it "cured" for nothing!

--------------------

Dear God, just don't eat the barbel!!!!!!!
spot

Sushi...

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;1262657 wrote: I think I would like to try sushi. I'm getting my mind off of the idea of it being raw but I'm certain it's at least cured is that correct?You're kidding - it's still flapping on the plate half the time and blowing outraged bubbles.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
moonpie

Sushi...

Post by moonpie »

Never will eat raw fish, will starve before I do it. Had a chance when I was dating a man, and said no. Guess I was not that needy!!:yh_rotfl
K.Snyder

Sushi...

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1262658 wrote: You're kidding - it's still flapping on the plate half the time and blowing outraged bubbles.

Perhaps I could give it a bit of a "nuking" in the microwave and it would taste just the same?
K.Snyder

Sushi...

Post by K.Snyder »

moonpie;1262659 wrote: Never will eat raw fish, will starve before I do it. Had a chance when I was dating a man, and said no. Guess I was not that needy!!:yh_rotfl

One thing's for sure!,..if you happen to have a change of heart and decide to try sushi don't stop at a sushi side diner from which not a car is parked in the parking lot!
Rapunzel

Sushi...

Post by Rapunzel »

oscar;1262597 wrote: I treated myself today to a varied platter of Sushi. It was beautiful and I particually liked the raw fish selection.

There is a shop near me that sells the mat etc to make your own so I'm going to have a go as pre-prepared is horribly expensive.

Does any-one have any advice on best raw fish to us and tips for me?

Sushi is actually the vinegar rice base, which is topped with other ingredients, such as fish.

Sliced raw fish alone is called sashimi, as distinct from sushi.

Sashimi with hand-formed clumps of rice, is called nigirizushi

Sushi served rolled around seaweed, or seaweed served rolled around sushi, is called nori.

Toppings served scattered over a bowl of sushi rice is called chirashi-zushi.

If you are looking for an interesting recipe, here is a picture of some fish-topped sushi for you to try.

I call it nemosushi. Enjoy! :D

Attached files
Chezzie

Sushi...

Post by Chezzie »

Sushi is defined as vinegared rice with a topping or filling. Contrary to popular belief, sushi does not mean raw fish. Sushi doesn't even have to contain fish. There are vegetarian varieties of sushi, sushi with cooked fish, sushi with fish marinated until it is effectively cooked, sushi with fish roe, sushi with egg, etc.

Sushi Basics
Oscar Namechange

Sushi...

Rapunzel;1262719 wrote: Sushi is actually the vinegar rice base, which is topped with other ingredients, such as fish.

Sliced raw fish alone is called sashimi, as distinct from sushi.

Sashimi with hand-formed clumps of rice, is called nigirizushi

Sushi served rolled around seaweed, or seaweed served rolled around sushi, is called nori.

Toppings served scattered over a bowl of sushi rice is called chirashi-zushi.

If you are looking for an interesting recipe, here is a picture of some fish-topped sushi for you to try.

I call it nemosushi. Enjoy! :D Thanks for that rap. Very Interesting. I had some more today and have found a book on how to make your own so I'm going to give It a go. Raw smoked Haddock is delish but I'm told the fish must be very very fresh to eat raw.
spot

Sushi...

Post by spot »

oscar;1262744 wrote: Thanks for that rap. Very Interesting. I had some more today and have found a book on how to make your own so I'm going to give It a go. Raw smoked Haddock is delish but I'm told the fish must be very very fresh to eat raw.Rollmops, oscar. I remember eating them in Poland, they're well worth finding. Plenty of Polish delicatessens in Bristol - Licata sell them too, they started as an Italian food shop but they have some wonderful European foods at the counter.
Rapunzel

Sushi...

Post by Rapunzel »

oscar;1262744 wrote: Thanks for that rap. Very Interesting. I had some more today and have found a book on how to make your own so I'm going to give It a go. Raw smoked Haddock is delish but I'm told the fish must be very very fresh to eat raw.

You're welcome hunny, but the highlight of that post was the picture of the nemosushi . . . WHICH YOU HAD TO CLICK ON TO APPRECIATE!!! :-5 :sneaky: :wah:

Return to “The Kitchen”