I actually DID it! HOMEMADE pumpkin pie!

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I really cant believe I never tried this before! Always used the puree in a can! But since I could not get it over here anymore, I decided to give it a go.

1 sugar pumpkin

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups of cream

1/2 cup of unrefined cane sugar (I used castor)

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/8 tsp ground cloves

preheat oven to 180c Cut pumpkin in half, clean out seeds and mess, place shell side up and bake for 1 hour.

Scrape out fleshy bits and puree using masher, fork or blender.

take 2 cups of puree and drain liquid. set aside the rest for other pies or bread or whatever.

add the spices, cream and eggs and blend.

(I used pre made pie crust) sweet variety

increase oven temp to 220c and bake for 15 min. decrease to 180c and bake for further 45 min. or until knife shows clean from 1 inch inside edge.

this pie came out gorgeous! but i cant upload pics for some reason.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

But how does it taste? I'm curious;)
Raven

Post by Raven »

Like pumpkin pie should! GOOD!:-3

just uploaded pics of the process in my album bit if you wanna have a look.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Raven;1260116 wrote: Like pumpkin pie should! GOOD!:-3

My sister/law makes it with real pumpkin...its awesome...good on your Raven...my 5 star rating goes to you for baking:-6
Raven

Post by Raven »

qsducks;1260121 wrote: My sister/law makes it with real pumpkin...its awesome...good on your Raven...my 5 star rating goes to you for baking:-6
Thanks so much Ducks! I was really surprised when it actually tasted BETTER than the previous pumpkin in the can pies I had made. It looked a bit different in colour, but I put that down to fresh cream and it's homadeness! Doing it again for thanksgiving, just hoping I get the same results. I froze the pumpkin pulp I will be using.
minks

Post by minks »

Raven;1260133 wrote: Thanks so much Ducks! I was really surprised when it actually tasted BETTER than the previous pumpkin in the can pies I had made. It looked a bit different in colour, but I put that down to fresh cream and it's homadeness! Doing it again for thanksgiving, just hoping I get the same results. I froze the pumpkin pulp I will be using.

Good on ya girl, that is awesome.

Mmmm email me a sampling ok hehehehe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

There is a major difference in using real pumpkin vs. the canned stuff...it's not so sugary...my hubs loves it when Carol (sil) makes it..she makes 3 pies &we take one home on thanksgiving..it is gone in hours. :-4. It tastes like pumpkin...and thank you for putting up your recipe...
Raven

Post by Raven »

minks;1260148 wrote: Good on ya girl, that is awesome.

Mmmm email me a sampling ok hehehehe
I somehow thought it would be harder to do? But it is actually well easy!
Odie

Post by Odie »

Raven;1260116 wrote: Like pumpkin pie should! GOOD!:-3

any left?:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
Raven

Post by Raven »

qsducks;1260149 wrote: There is a major difference in using real pumpkin vs. the canned stuff...it's not so sugary...my hubs loves it when Carol (sil) makes it..she makes 3 pies &we take one home on thanksgiving..it is gone in hours. :-4. It tastes like pumpkin...and thank you for putting up your recipe...
Yeah I used castor, and just a touch less than what the recipe actually called for. My hubs was really pleased!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

thats because you can really taste the pumpkin..what a difference..i wrote your recipe down...and again thanks. I will try to get sil recipe also..but i think its on the same line as yours.:-4
Raven

Post by Raven »

qsducks;1260203 wrote: thats because you can really taste the pumpkin..what a difference..i wrote your recipe down...and again thanks. I will try to get sil recipe also..but i think its on the same line as yours.:-4
You are so welcome! And you are going to love how simple it is! piece of ca...PIE! :yh_bigsmi
Odie

Post by Odie »

Raven;1260168 wrote: I somehow thought it would be harder to do? But it is actually well easy!

you had mentioned this to me, as I looked at your photos, it did appear to be time consuming, but its not, cool!

and it looks soooooooooo good!
Raven

Post by Raven »

Odie;1260171 wrote: any left?:yh_rotfl
Funny you should ask actually! Last piece being ate tonight! The recipe made two pies! :-4
Raven

Post by Raven »

Odie;1260211 wrote: you had mentioned this to me, as I looked at your photos, it did appear to be time consuming, but its not, cool!

and it looks soooooooooo good!
Shame you have already had your thanksgiving! But you could still try it! And tell me what you think!
Odie

Post by Odie »

Raven;1260212 wrote: Funny you should ask actually! Last piece being ate tonight! The recipe made two pies! :-4

wow that was gobbled up fast.:yh_rotfl

Raven;1260213 wrote: Shame you have already had your thanksgiving! But you could still try it! And tell me what you think!

Oh I would love to try homemade as not many make it anymore.

hats off Raven!:guitarist
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Ours is I believe, not looking at the calendar, is the 26th (parent's anniversary)..my first daughter was born on Thanksgiving day...had a feeling she was gonna show up on time...even predicted it..me the mom was right on:wah:
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

All your pumpkin pie photos are showing at the top of my screen, I am hungry for pumpkin pie now! They look great!
Raven

Post by Raven »

chonsigirl;1260312 wrote: All your pumpkin pie photos are showing at the top of my screen, I am hungry for pumpkin pie now! They look great!
Oh sorry about that! I would have put the pics in the thread itself, but the software would not let me. So I had to do an album instead. But it's easy to make! And it tastes like fantastic pumpkin pie!
Raven

Post by Raven »

qsducks;1260218 wrote: Ours is I believe, not looking at the calendar, is the 26th (parent's anniversary)..my first daughter was born on Thanksgiving day...had a feeling she was gonna show up on time...even predicted it..me the mom was right on:wah:
You know what? I still celebrate it over here. I have for the last 7 years. :-4
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Raven;1260111 wrote: I really cant believe I never tried this before! Always used the puree in a can! But since I could not get it over here anymore, I decided to give it a go.

1 sugar pumpkin

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups of cream

1/2 cup of unrefined cane sugar (I used castor)

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/8 tsp ground cloves

preheat oven to 180c Cut pumpkin in half, clean out seeds and mess, place shell side up and bake for 1 hour.

Scrape out fleshy bits and puree using masher, fork or blender.

take 2 cups of puree and drain liquid. set aside the rest for other pies or bread or whatever.

add the spices, cream and eggs and blend.

(I used pre made pie crust) sweet variety

increase oven temp to 220c and bake for 15 min. decrease to 180c and bake for further 45 min. or until knife shows clean from 1 inch inside edge.

this pie came out gorgeous! but i cant upload pics for some reason.
Thanks Raven for the recipee, The shops still have pumpkins so I am going to do this tomorrow. I have always wanted to try It and now can't wait. :guitarist:guitarist
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hey R that's pretty much the recipe I use for pumpkin' pie. I adlib it all the time, though... I do make it several times a month, at least... often it's every week. It's best if you use all natural ingredients and don't "water it down" with sweetness (I never use white "cocaine" sugar). They are very easy to make!

I'd be afraid to ask any Brits for pumpkin pie over there... it's hard telling what they might end up giving you! :wah: Asking for ginger ale will get you drunk and don't even get me started on pudding! :yh_rotfl

When I was going to uni over there I'd celebrate it every year, too... sometimes my family came over there to celebrate it with me... even this year there are a few cousins attending uni who will be visited by family and they will celebrating. Thanksgiving can be celebrated year round... doesn't even matter where you're from there's always something to be thankful for! :D

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Raven

Post by Raven »

oscar;1260394 wrote: Thanks Raven for the recipee, The shops still have pumpkins so I am going to do this tomorrow. I have always wanted to try It and now can't wait. :guitarist:guitarist
You are going to love it! The recipe makes 2 pies! I froze the rest of the pulp for pies at thanksgiving! Good luck!
Raven

Post by Raven »

G-man;1260409 wrote: Hey R that's pretty much the recipe I use for pumpkin' pie. I adlib it all the time, though... I do make it several times a month, at least... often it's every week. It's best if you use all natural ingredients and don't "water it down" with sweetness (I never use white "cocaine" sugar). They are very easy to make!

I'd be afraid to ask any Brits for pumpkin pie over there... it's hard telling what they might end up giving you! :wah: Asking for ginger ale will get you drunk and don't even get me started on pudding! :yh_rotfl

When I was going to uni over there I'd celebrate it every year, too... sometimes my family came over there to celebrate it with me... even this year there are a few cousins attending uni who will be visited by family and they will celebrating. Thanksgiving can be celebrated year round... doesn't even matter where you're from there's always something to be thankful for! :D
oh yeah....pudding. Veeery wary of the black stuff.:-3 And apple cider over here has a WHOLE NEW meaning! I like it though! Especially Scrumpy. It's got bits in it! But asking for pumpkin pie is pretty safe. :yh_rotfl

We all celebrate Thanksgiving over here. My English family loves having another day off!:-4

Return to “The Kitchen”