A twist on bread and butter pudding....

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I have just made a bread and butter pudding with chocolate chip Brioche.

Yummy :-4
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bread and Butter pudding is one of my favourites and Brioche gives it a bit of a luxurious edge but I think the chocolate chips are uneccessary. Plain brioche would be fine
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oscar, I don't even know what bread and butter pudding is.:wah:

Brioche bread has chocolate chips in it:confused:
Oscar Namechange

Kathy Ellen;1259260 wrote: Oscar, I don't even know what bread and butter pudding is.:wah:

Brioche bread has chocolate chips in it:confused: Bread and butter pudding is an olde fashioned English pudding. You butter triangles of bread and make layers in an ovenproof dish. In between the layers of bread, you sprinkle sugar and sultana's. Then make a custard mix with sugar, eggs and milk ( I use half a pint of cream as well). Pour the custard mix over the layered bread and let it soak through. Then It goes in an oven for approx 45 minutes on medium.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

It looks like this:

Attached files
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

oscar;1259262 wrote: Bread and butter pudding is an olde fashioned English pudding. You butter triangles of bread and make layers in an ovenproof dish. In between the layers of bread, you sprinkle sugar and sultana's. Then make a custard mix with sugar, eggs and milk ( I use half a pint of cream as well). Pour the custard mix over the layered bread and let it soak through. Then It goes in an oven for approx 45 minutes on medium.

OMG, that sounds heavenly:D Do you take the crust off? I'm making that this weekend:p

Have you tried our pouf.....heavenly with rashers......Here's the recipe. You can make it the night before and just stick it in the oven.Sultanas are white grapes???

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/1076755-post66.html

UK/US cookery conversions and oven temperatures
Oscar Namechange

Kathy Ellen;1259266 wrote: OMG, that sounds heavenly:D Do you take the crust off? I'm making that this weekend:p

Have you tried our pouf.....heavenly with rashers......Here's the recipe. You can make it the night before and just stick it in the oven.Sultanas are white grapes???

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/1076755-post66.html

UK/US cookery conversions and oven temperatures
Here's the Official recipee kathy:

7 Slices of Bread

1 1/2 pints Milk

3 beaten eggs

110g Sugar

110g Raisins and Sultanas

1 tsp Vanilla

1/2 tsp Cinnamon

1/2 tsp Salt

Butter

Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 170C: 325F: Gas 3.

2. Get a large oven proof baking dish and rub the butter around it.

3. Butter each of the slices of bread on one side only.

4. Line bottom and sides of the dish with the buttered bread, cover as much of the bowl as possible but try to leave 2 or 3 slices of bread to one side.

5. Mix the milk, sugar, eggs, raisins and sultanas, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Once this is done pour the mixture over bread.

6. Place the remaining pieces of buttered bread on top, try to submerge these by pressing on them.

7. Allow the bread and butter pudding to stand for around 30 minutes.

8. Cover the bread and butter pudding and then place in the oven and bake for up to 30 minutes.

9. Take off the lid and cook for another 30 minutes until top becomes golden in colour..

Serves: 4

Preparation time: 45 mins

Cooking time: 1 hour

Yes, Sultana's are dried grapes but you can use raisins or any chopped fruit. T make It more luxurious, substitutehalf a pint of the milk for cream.

You can cut the crusts off if you prefer but they are the best part to me :-4

You can serve the pudding with more cream.

Thanks for your recipee Kathy, I will certainly make them.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ohhhhhhh thank you Oscar. I'm definitely going to make that for Saturday. I'm meeting my cousins for lunch at our fav restaurant, and I'll invite them back home for dessert. I think a ruby, red port will go lovely with this dessert, don't you?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I love the crispy bits at the top. Gonna make one at the weekend
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1261822 wrote: I love the crispy bits at the top. Gonna make one at the weekend
They are definately the best bits. :guitarist

Return to “The Kitchen”