Old Fashioned Grub....

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I decided that to keep Mr O as healthy as I could for as long as I could, we would ditch all take-aways and processed food, going back to good old meat and vegetables.

Tonight, I did, Liver, Kidneys, onions, mushrooms, Potaoes and fresh vegetables.

Can any-one remind me of the old fashioned dishes such as steak and Kidney pudding etc. All the meals we had as kids before everything came in a packet.

Ta very much :)
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AussiePam

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by AussiePam »

Toad in the hole. Rice pudding. Liver and bacon. Spring greens. Bubble and squeak. Yorkshire pudding. Welsh rarebit. Beef wellington. Scotch egg. Blanc mange. Pork pie. Fish pie. Cottage pie with properly ground up left over roast lamb. Home made Cornish pasties. Bacon and Eggs and baked beans and sausage. Ox tail. Ox tongue and dumplings. Corned beef and carrots. Roast pork. Mulligatawny soup. Duck with orange sauce. Dover sole. Cod and chips. Devilled kidneys.*

(English partner here - I cook all of these hearty things occasionally!!)

*That's on the menu here this evening.

http://www.stiltoncheese.com/recipes_/s ... m_soup/15/
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

ZAP

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by ZAP »

Yum!:)
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

AussiePam;1252377 wrote: Toad in the hole. Rice pudding. Liver and bacon. Spring greens. Bubble and squeak. Yorkshire pudding. Welsh rarebit. Beef wellington. Scotch egg. Blanc mange. Pork pie. Fish pie. Cottage pie with properly ground up left over roast lamb. Home made Cornish pasties. Bacon and Eggs and baked beans and sausage. Ox tail. Ox tongue and dumplings. Corned beef and carrots. Roast pork. Mulligatawny soup.

(English partner here - I cook all of these hearty things occasionally!!) Thanks Pam :wah: That's a weeks worth. :wah:

Yes, toad in the hole :-4 Cottage Pie... Dumplings... :-4:-4
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1252373 wrote: I decided that to keep Mr O as healthy as I could for as long as I could, we would ditch all take-aways and processed food, going back to good old meat and vegetables.

Tonight, I did, Liver, Kidneys, onions, mushrooms, Potaoes and fresh vegetables.

Can any-one remind me of the old fashioned dishes such as steak and Kidney pudding etc. All the meals we had as kids before everything came in a packet.

A favourite has always been Cottage Pie but this time of year stews and casseroles are starting to come in.

You can do far worse than the old standard Sunday Lunch - roast meat (or chicken) potatoes and fresh vedge. Quite often I'll replace the meat with fish as it's lighter.

Fish pie is also good

This is without the new fangled foods like pasta or curry.
Rapunzel

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Rapunzel »

I like your avatar Oscar. ;)

I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before. :sneaky: :wah:
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Bryn Mawr;1252380 wrote: A favourite has always been Cottage Pie but this time of year stews and casseroles are starting to come in.

You can do far worse than the old standard Sunday Lunch - roast meat (or chicken) potatoes and fresh vedge. Quite often I'll replace the meat with fish as it's lighter.

Fish pie is also good

This is without the new fangled foods like pasta or curry.
Thanks Bryn.... It's slowly coming back to me now. I usually do a roast on sundays but quick meals have replaced good old fashioned cooking I must admit.

And stews.. Yes, I'll get some nice braising steak, turnips, carrots etc.. :-4
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Rapunzel;1252381 wrote: I like your avatar Oscar. ;)

I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before. :sneaky: :wah: I love him and want him :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
el guapo

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by el guapo »

last week end we made hare n pheasant stew was real good
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
Bryn Mawr

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1252383 wrote: Thanks Bryn.... It's slowly coming back to me now. I usually do a roast on sundays but quick meals have replaced good old fashioned cooking I must admit.

And stews.. Yes, I'll get some nice braising steak, turnips, carrots etc.. :-4

I did a venison stew for the girls when they came down the other week and, if I say so myself, it was excellent.
spot

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by spot »

Tripe.

Suet pudding.

Brown Windsor.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
minks

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by minks »

spot;1252404 wrote: Tripe.

Suet pudding.

Brown Windsor.

Do explain suet pudding I think my mom used to make that when we were younger... is is a sweet pudding? I may be way out in left field.

What do you do with the tripe to make it edible it sure is ugly looking. What is Brown Windsor, and all the other dishes you guys are talking about, I want recipes.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Betty Boop

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Betty Boop »

Suet pudding.

Brown Windsor.

Eeeeuuugghhhh dogs eat tripe!

Spotted dick, jam roly poly, syrup sponge pudding, rice pudding, casseroles, stew, baked potatoes, under roast, corned beef hash, bangers beans and mash, cauliflower cheese, homemade chips, beef cobbler. Yummy good winter comfort food.
minks

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by minks »

Betty Boop;1252410 wrote: Eeeeuuugghhhh dogs eat tripe!

Spotted dick, jam roly poly, syrup sponge pudding, rice pudding, casseroles, stew, baked potatoes, under roast, corned beef hash, bangers beans and mash, cauliflower cheese, homemade chips, beef cobbler. Yummy good winter comfort food.

stop you are making me hungry, OMG Boops my mom used to make great cornbeef brisket and some other stuff hmmmmm gosh gone are the days of that food. I should move home ahahaha ooooooo rice pudding haven't had that in ages.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Suet pudding.

Brown Windsor. How dare You !!!
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Betty Boop;1252410 wrote: Eeeeuuugghhhh dogs eat tripe!

Spotted dick, jam roly poly, syrup sponge pudding, rice pudding, casseroles, stew, baked potatoes, under roast, corned beef hash, bangers beans and mash, cauliflower cheese, homemade chips, beef cobbler. Yummy good winter comfort food. Corn beef hash, Yes, I haven't made that for years :-4
Bryn Mawr

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1252450 wrote: Corn beef hash, Yes, I haven't made that for years :-4

Not since my student days :wah:

It has its place - not as haute cusine perhaps but it has its place :)
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Bryn Mawr;1252471 wrote: Not since my student days :wah:

It has its place - not as haute cusine perhaps but it has its place :) Great late night supper with lashings of Worcestershire sauce.
Odie

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Odie »

oscar;1252373 wrote: I decided that to keep Mr O as healthy as I could for as long as I could, we would ditch all take-aways and processed food, going back to good old meat and vegetables.

you mean you weren't cooking for him before?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

liver and kidneys? ewwwwwwwwww!:yh_rotfl

-stew is good for you, celery, potatoes, carrots, onions, add in small chunks of meat other than red.

-fresh fish, rainbow trout, salmon, all the ones that lower cholesterol.

-turkey, potatoes and fresh veggies.....
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Odie;1252498 wrote: you mean you weren't cooking for him before?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

liver and kidneys? ewwwwwwwwww!:yh_rotfl

-stew is good for you, celery, potatoes, carrots, onions, add in small chunks of meat other than red.

-fresh fish, rainbow trout, salmon, all the ones that lower cholesterol.

-turkey, potatoes and fresh veggies..... I'm having to do the cooking now. It's been a long time :wah: mmmmm Love Turkey :-4
Odie

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Odie »

oscar;1252513 wrote: I'm having to do the cooking now. It's been a long time :wah: mmmmm Love Turkey :-4

do we remember how to cook a turkey?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Odie;1252522 wrote: do we remember how to cook a turkey?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Yeah... you spend his money :yh_rotfl
Kathy Ellen

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Oscar:-6

I love the concoction that I made up called "Chicken Comfort."

I cook up chicken breasts in a slow cooker, or bake chicken cutlets with homemade bread crumbs and cut up apples and bananas to bake on top.

Bake 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

Both would have lots of fresh, tasty spices: rosemary, oregano, basil, ginger, tarragon, sage and thyme.

Cut cutlets into cubes and place in a big bowl, and then add fresh corn coblets (cook fresh corn and cut from cob....taste makes a big difference), raw, cubed green and red peppers,brocolli, walnuts or pine nuts, any kind of spuds....I like to make home fries. But, you can add diced up boiled spuds, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.

Then add chicken gravy and allow to set before serving.

This is a great dish to freeze for a later date.

Just an aside.....

*soak the chicken cutlets in milk, salt and pepper for 15 minutes (makes a difference...breaks down fibers)

*Instead of spuds, you can add any kind of noodles or rice.
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Kathy Ellen;1252557 wrote: Hi Oscar:-6

I love the concoction that I made up called "Chicken Comfort."

I cook up chicken breasts in a slow cooker, or bake chicken cutlets with homemade bread crumbs and cut up apples and bananas to bake on top.

Bake 375 degrees for 50 minutes.

Both would have lots of fresh tasty spices: rosemary, oregano, basil, ginger, tarragon, sage and thyme.

Cut cutlets into cubes and place in a big bowl, and then add fresh corn coblets (cook fresh corn and cut from cob....taste makes a big difference), raw, cubed green and red peppers,brocolli, walnuts or pine nuts, any kind of spuds....I like to make home fries. But, you can add diced up boiled spuds, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.

Then add chicken gravy and allow to set before serving.

This is a great dish to freeze for a later date.

Just an aside.....

*soak the chicken cutlets in milk, salt and pepper for 15 minutes (makes a difference...breaks down fibers)

*Instead of spuds, you can add any kind of noodles or rice. WOW.. I've copied that and will certainly try it. I do love all the herbs you listed. I heard some-where that milk breaks down the fibres in meat. I did Pigs liver tonight but when I've ever cooked ox liver, I soak in milk but didn't know you could do it with chicken also. Thanks Kathy :-4
Kathy Ellen

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oscar....I meant to make the temperature 350 degrees not 375 degrees....sorry...don't know celsius temp.
Clodhopper

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Clodhopper »

Kathy, I think your temperature is still wrong. My oven only goes up to 250...(and I never cook at that temperature!)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Kathy Ellen

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Clodhopper;1252626 wrote: Kathy, I think your temperature is still wrong. My oven only goes up to 250...(and I never cook at that temperature!)

Hi Clod,

It's correct on an American electric stove. I'm not sure of the differences in our UK and American stove temperatures.
farmer giles

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by farmer giles »

jiminey cricket was an old fashioned grub

top hat ,tails old fashioned shoes etc:):)

i love old fashioned food though

sweede and mash

brussel sprouts etc yummy:D:D
Clodhopper

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Clodhopper »

If I recall correctly, to go from Fahrenheit to Celsius you half the number and subtract 32.

So 375 deg F would be er, um, 155.5 deg C? Low heat slow cook?

Kathy Ellen

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Clodhopper;1252636 wrote: If I recall correctly, to go from Fahrenheit to Celsius you half the number and subtract 32.

Check this out....It is an appropriate temperature to cook chicken

American cooking - weights and measures
Bryn Mawr

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1252636 wrote: If I recall correctly, to go from Fahrenheit to Celsius you half the number and subtract 32.

Subtract 32 and halve the number is your rough approximation = 171.5

Subtract 32 divide by 9 and multiply by 5 is more accurate = 190
Chezzie

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Chezzie »

we have corned beef hash at least once a fortnight. I semi mash the spuds with milk and butter add fried (in butter) onions and mushrooms and chopped corned beef and seasoning's. Mash more, transfer to oven proof dish, pop in oven gas mark 5-6 for half an hour till top has browned and crisped. Serve with cabbage or any greens or baked beans for a change.

Yesterday we had thick n mince. Mince beef , fried and fat drained off, add to saucepan with carrots, peas, onions and gravy and seasoning, low heat till tender, serve over creamy mash or boiled spuds or jacket pots or even chips or roasties...Delish!

Get a slow cooker Jul, shove everything in the crock early morning, switch on, serve a delish meal in the evening...No hassle:D
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Chezzie;1252660 wrote: we have corned beef hash at least once a fortnight. I semi mash the spuds with milk and butter add fried (in butter) onions and mushrooms and chopped corned beef and seasoning's. Mash more, transfer to oven proof dish, pop in oven gas mark 5-6 for half an hour till top has browned and crisped. Serve with cabbage or any greens or baked beans for a change.

Yesterday we had thick n mince. Mince beef , fried and fat drained off, add to saucepan with carrots, peas, onions and gravy and seasoning, low heat till tender, serve over creamy mash or boiled spuds or jacket pots or even chips or roasties...Delish!

Get a slow cooker Jul, shove everything in the crock early morning, switch on, serve a delish meal in the evening...No hassle:D
Thanks Chezz... I'm still trying to get to grips with a new fan assisted oven that seems to cook everything quicker but at least it cleans it'self.:wah: I find it very theraputic peeling veg. It reminds me of my childhood when all the veg came out of the garden and mum and I would sit at a large kitchen table shucking pea's. Oh happy days. :-6
AussiePam

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by AussiePam »

I still shuck peas!!! Grin. Agree with you on the slow cooker, Chezzie. They are great. Oscar - You brown the meat and the vegies in the morning, shove them all in, go out all day, come home tired to a house smelling totally wonderful and welcoming, and dinner's all ready. And in slow cooking, you use cheaper cuts of meat too which is good for the budget.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

AussiePam;1252784 wrote: I still shuck peas!!! Grin. Agree with you on the slow cooker, Chezzie. They are great. Oscar - You brown the meat and the vegies in the morning, shove them all in, go out all day, come home tired to a house smelling totally wonderful and welcoming, and dinner's all ready. And in slow cooking, you use cheaper cuts of meat too which is good for the budget.
I've been looking at them in my catalogue today and they do seem so easy. I like the idea of meat cooking very slowly as well to get it very tender. I'll definately buy one. I do always brown my meat first and I also brown joints of meat first to seal them.
Odie

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Odie »

after we had roast beef, mom always made Sheppard's Pie.

in a casserole dish:

--place roast beef (grind it up first)

-- peas

--put mashed potatoes on top

(or whatever veggies you want)

form potatoes in a peak for crispness

dab butter or margarine here and there on top

cook at 325 for 45 minutes.

now that's Shepherds pie.;)

and so easy.

-takes so much better than Sheppard's pie with hamburger meat.:lips:
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Odie;1252842 wrote: after we had roast beef, mom always made Sheppard's Pie.

in a casserole dish:

--place roast beef (grind it up first)

-- peas

--put mashed potatoes on top

(or whatever veggies you want)

form potatoes in a peak for crispness

add some butter or margarine.

cook at 325 for 45 minutes.

now that's Shepherds pie.;)

and so easy.

-takes so much better than Sheppard's pie with hamburger meat.:lips: How strange.

Shepherds Pie here is made with Lamb and when It's made with beef, it's called Cottage Pie. :thinking::thinking:
Odie

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Odie »

oscar;1252844 wrote: How strange.

Shepherds Pie here is made with Lamb and when It's made with beef, it's called Cottage Pie. :thinking::thinking:

wow, what a difference between our counties.

Now I never thought of using lamb....this thread for me now.:wah:

..it sounds really good.
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Odie;1252855 wrote: wow, what a difference between our counties.

Now I never thought of using lamb....this thread for me now.:wah:

..it sounds really good. It is delish... You just mince the lamb and then use the same Recipee as for shepherds pie. My mother always made it on a monday after sundays when we had a leg of lamb. I loved it. :-4:-4
Kathy Ellen

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Julie:-4

I'm not sure if you like 'hot and spicy' foods, but why don't you take a look at my spicy thread.....Some of it is 'new age' but a lot of it is comfort food.

You can always adjust the heat of the spices;)

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/kitch ... t-2-a.html
Oscar Namechange

Old Fashioned Grub....

Kathy Ellen;1252894 wrote: Hello Julie:-4

I'm not sure if you like 'hot and spicy' foods, but why don't you take a look at my spicy thread.....Some of it is 'new age' but a lot of it is comfort food.

You can always adjust the heat of the spices;)

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/kitch ... t-2-a.html
ooooooooo Thanks Kathy. Pete has been advised to avoid spicy and hot dishes now but as you say, I can adjust the spices and heat. We both love very hot food. I will have a good look... Thankyou.
Odie

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Odie »

oscar;1252884 wrote: It is delish... You just mince the lamb and then use the same Recipee as for shepherds pie. My mother always made it on a monday after sundays when we had a leg of lamb. I loved it. :-4:-4

to cute, my mom did the same.:-4

must try this one day using lamb.
Clodhopper

Old Fashioned Grub....

Post by Clodhopper »

:wah:

Thanks for the correction, Bryn!

Nomad

Old Fashioned Grub....