Eu rules on fruit and veg

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

So although agreed last november it was only last wedensday july 1st that the new EU rules allowing ugly twisted or misshapen fruit and veg to once again be sold in shops came into force.

No longer will we be forced to have straight cuecumbers and apples all the same size.

who knows maybe the taste will start to improve as well? It cant get any worse everything is so bland its like eating baby food.

I like to buy from local farm or organic shops if I can they dont have the same silly restictions and you really can taste the difference.
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

Victoria;1213995 wrote: So although agreed last november it was only last wedensday july 1st that the new EU rules allowing ugly twisted or misshapen fruit and veg to once again be sold in shops came into force.

No longer will we be forced to have straight cuecumbers and apples all the same size.

who knows maybe the taste will start to improve as well? It cant get any worse everything is so bland its like eating baby food.

I like to buy from local farm or organic shops if I can they dont have the same silly restictions and you really can taste the difference.

i have grown some carrots they look nothing much like the ones in the shop i wonder what chemicals they put on our shop food to keep it that way :thinking::thinking:
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Does this mean we can expect further concessions such as the number of varieties of peas that can be sold and lifting the restrictions on seed sales? That would be nice.
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

OpenMind;1214460 wrote: Does this mean we can expect further concessions such as the number of varieties of peas that can be sold and lifting the restrictions on seed sales? That would be nice.

I hope so.. I think one of the reasons that fruit is so bad at the moment is the lack of variety within each type. Growers are sticking to the one type they know will be past by the EU censor. Hopefully this ruling will see a return to some of the more tasty but non conformist varieties..
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Victoria;1214508 wrote: I hope so.. I think one of the reasons that fruit is so bad at the moment is the lack of variety within each type. Growers are sticking to the one type they know will be past by the EU censor. Hopefully this ruling will see a return to some of the more tasty but non conformist varieties..

I shall keep my fingers crossed for more concessions.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

OpenMind;1214521 wrote: I shall keep my fingers crossed for more concessions.

If itll help Ill concede. Ill concede then secede. Then Ill seed. Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. WHEEEEEE !
I AM AWESOME MAN
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Nomad;1214569 wrote: If itll help Ill concede. Ill concede then secede. Then Ill seed. Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. WHEEEEEE !

Ok, Nomad. Thanks.:thinking:

:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Nomad;1214569 wrote: If itll help Ill concede. Ill concede then secede. Then Ill seed. Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. WHEEEEEE ! we need guys like you in our European parliment. When can you come?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “The Kitchen”