• Unsolved Mysteries - The Kitchen Series: Nanaimo Bars (vol. 1) •

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Unsolved Mysteries - The Kitchen Series: vol. 1 - Nanaimo Bars

If you're a Canuck or have ever been to Canada, you're more than likely all too familiar with this delicious dessert bar. For those of you who are not, they are bars consisting of various flavored layers, such as crushed graham crackers, walnuts, coconut, custard and topped with chocolate. If anyone is interested, I've got a recipe that I've just tried moments ago here in my kitchen. :p Otherwise, you'll have to find one of your own or settle for the mass produced versions sold at Safeway, a popular supermarket chain located in western Canada or at the ubiquitous Starbucks around the western coast of North America.

Anyway, but did you know about one of the greatest, unsolved mysteries of all time surrounding this popular treat?

Mysterious Origins

As far as we know, the mystery all began back in the early fifties in the quaint coastal town of the same name, located on the western coast of Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada. According to local legend, a local housewife submitted a recipe to a publication for a recipe contest in which she, of course, won under the moniker "Nanaimo Bars". Soon thereafter, the recipe spread and numerous versions were spawned throughout the world.

The trouble with this legend, however, is that there is no verifiable proof to substantiate this rather lofty claim. Through years and years of extensive, pain-staking research, the earliest existence of anything specifically named "Nanaimo Bars" was published in The Lethbridge Herald in a January 1954 issue in Alberta, Canada, (submitted by a woman known as Joy Willgress) hundreds of miles away, during a time when many Canadians still traveled great distances on sleds pulled by dogs and using inuksuit as guides.

The other problem with this mystery is the fact that the earliest published version of this recipe only dates to as early as 1957, nearly three years later (for those of you mathematically impaired), in a publication titled "Favorite Recipes: Compliled by the Women's Association of the Brechnin United Church" (submitted by a woman known as Joy Willgress), which brings up yet another mystery... why is the word "Favorite" spelled the way that Americans would spell it? *The Twilight Zone theme commences in background... do-do, do-do...*

If we disregard the seemingly dead-end search under "Nanaimo Bars" a recipe has been discovered that is nearly identical in all but name, to the Nanaimo Bars we are familiar with in this day and age. The recipe in question, appeared in The Woman's Auxiliary to the Nanaimo Hospital Cookbook as simply "Chocolate Slices" in 1952 *overly dramatic pause* by a woman known to us only as Mrs. E. MacDougall. Which raises even further suspicion. Why the use of the first initial? Is this Mrs. MacDougall (if that truly is her real identity), hiding something? Is that first initial even her initial or, in fact, that of her husband, as many housewives, back in those days, referred to themselves as?

The Search Continues...

The search was getting nowhere and then in 1992 something happened that brought new life to the search. That "something", was a book titled "A Century of Canadian Home Cooking" written by Carol Fergusen, in which she claims that shortly after the appearance of the 1952 recipe referred to as "Chocolate Slices", another recipe surfaced called "Nanaimo Bars", in the Vancouver Sun newspaper with ingredients and measurements identical to the 1957 recipe submitted by Joy Willgress, but sadly the claim could not be verified as factual and the trail went cold once again.

The Mystery Continues Beyond the Canadian Borders...

In England, some claim that Nanaimo Bars originally were sent via Post to relatives working in Nanaimo's coal mines during Nanaimo's hey-day. Those claims were quickly disproved, as the story would've been set all the way back to the nineteenth century at a time well before refrigerated parcels existed as this is when many Englishman were immigrating to Canada to work in the coal mines. Considering that the recipe explicitly calls for refrigeration, or at the very least, an icebox, as part of the process of making these bars, this would have been impossible if the bars were to remain edible.

In New York, New Yorker's claim to have created Nanaimo Bars under the name "New York Slice", the problem with this claim is that the only thing that could be found on Google, the undisputed truth on the internet, were variations of New York style pizza recipes. Besides, New York lays claim to nearly everything else... so I'm not even going to let them have this, too. :p

Will the Mystery Ever Be Solved?

We may never truly know where Nanaimo Bars came from or why, perhaps there is someone out there who knows the truth and has yet to come forth? Perhaps the real truth is beyond our human capacity to comprehend? Who knows? What we do know is this, however, and that is that these dessert bars are best known as Nanaimo Bars throughout the world and that is how they will continue to be known as more so than by any other name. That and well... they are really damned tasty! :D

- G

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Odie

Post by Odie »

o m g!

you just named my favorite dessert!:guitarist:guitarist

has to be the orginal ones.:D

and they are best served at room temperature.:driving::driving:
Life is just to short for drama.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1206345 wrote: o m g!

you just named my favorite dessert!:guitarist:guitarist

has to be the orginal ones.:D

and they are best served at room temperature.:driving::driving:

Okay, well that explains one mystery... :wah:

I prefer them chilled, myself... just like my beer. :D

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1206605 wrote: Okay, well that explains one mystery... :wah:

I prefer them chilled, myself... just like my beer. :D

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

that`s just because your a man, women like their Nanaimo bars soft and creamy!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1206653 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

that`s just because your a man, women like their Nanaimo bars soft and creamy!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Ummm... hold it a second... really? I figured it would've been quite the opposite... maybe I'm thinkin' of somethin' else, though...

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1206722 wrote: Ummm... hold it a second... really? I figured it would've been quite the opposite... maybe I'm thinkin' of somethin' else, though...

are we still talking about Nanamio bars?:lips::sneaky:
G-man

Post by G-man »

So what makes these Nanaimo bars, precisely? There's not much I recall about the last time I was in Nanaimo, 'cept that it was a bit nippy and there was some homeless man lying in a fetal position on the ground smoking a cigarette and people were kicking him and insulting him.

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1206871 wrote: So what makes these Nanaimo bars, precisely? There's not much I recall about the last time I was in Nanaimo, 'cept that it was a bit nippy and there was some homeless man lying in a fetal position on the ground smoking a cigarette and people were kicking him and insulting him.

your just not in the right place!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

tis the coconut!:guitarist:guitarist
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1206949 wrote: your just not in the right place!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

tis the coconut!:guitarist:guitarist

Coconuts aren't indigenous to Nanaimo! They're tropical! Nanaimo is in hardiness zone 8, which granted is close to being tropical (and I've seen a handful of hardier palms growing here and there), but tends to be on the cooler side. Are you going to tell me that they migrated, floated or were carried by swallows (of any variety) and dropped there? :yh_rotfl

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1206971 wrote: Coconuts aren't indigenous to Nanaimo! They're tropical! Nanaimo is in hardiness zone 8, which granted is close to being tropical (and I've seen a handful of hardier palms growing here and there), but tends to be on the cooler side. Are you going to tell me that they migrated, floated or were carried by swallows (of any variety) and dropped there? :yh_rotfl

You just haven't tried the real ones!:lips::sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1207087 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

You just haven't tried the real ones!:lips::sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

There's something else going on with these Nanaimo bars... I'm certain of it!

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1207513 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

There's something else going on with these Nanaimo bars... I'm certain of it!

they're just not for everyone, only Canucks!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1207571 wrote: they're just not for everyone, only Canucks!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I'm part Canuck... sorta'... :thinking:

Heck, I'm not even convinced that Nanaimo bars are truly Nanaimo bars... I'm starting to believe, through all of my painstaking research, that they are originally some other communities bars and the Nanaimoans STOLE the recipe and claimed it as their own! :lips::eek:

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1207733 wrote: I'm part Canuck... sorta'... :thinking:

Heck, I'm not even convinced that Nanaimo bars are truly Nanaimo bars... I'm starting to believe, through all of my painstaking research, that they are originally some other communities bars and the Nanaimoans STOLE the recipe and claimed it as their own! :lips::eek:

okay your part Canadian, now make these eh?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Recipe origin: Canada

Nanaimo Bars have three layers.

Ingredients for Bottom Layer

* ½ cup butter

* ¼ cup sugar

* ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa

* 1 egg

* 1 teaspoon vanilla

* 2 cups crushed graham crackers (packaged graham cracker crumbs may be used)

* 1 cup shredded coconut

* ½ cup chopped walnuts

Ingredients for Middle Layer

* ¼ cup butter

* 2 cups confectioners' sugar

* 2 Tablespoons vanilla custard powder (available in Canada, but not in the United States; instant vanilla pudding powder may be substituted)

* 3 Tablespoons milk

Ingredients for Top Layer

* 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate

* 1 Tablespoon butter

Procedure

1. Make bottom layer: Grease a 9-inch square cake pan.

2. Combine ½ cup butter, sugar, cocoa, egg, and vanilla in a heavy sauce pan. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.

3. Add graham crackers crumbs, coconut, and chopped walnuts, stirring to combine. Press the mixture in the greased pan.

4. Make middle layer: Beat together ¼ cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla custard or pudding powder, and milk, until the mixture is creamy.

5. Spread over graham cracker base in cake pan. Refrigerate bars until firm, at least 1 hour.

6. Make topping: Melt semi-sweet chocolate and 1 Tablespoon butter. Drizzle over chilled bars. Return to refrigerator to chill until firm (at least 1 hour).

7. Cut into squares and serve.

Serves 16.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1207747 wrote: okay your part Canadian, now make these eh?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Recipe origin: Canada

Nanaimo Bars have three layers.

Ingredients for Bottom Layer

* ½ cup butter

* ¼ cup sugar

* ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa

* 1 egg

* 1 teaspoon vanilla

* 2 cups crushed graham crackers (packaged graham cracker crumbs may be used)

* 1 cup shredded coconut

* ½ cup chopped walnuts

Ingredients for Middle Layer

* ¼ cup butter

* 2 cups confectioners' sugar

* 2 Tablespoons vanilla custard powder (available in Canada, but not in the United States; instant vanilla pudding powder may be substituted)

* 3 Tablespoons milk

Ingredients for Top Layer

* 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate

* 1 Tablespoon butter

Procedure

1. Make bottom layer: Grease a 9-inch square cake pan.

2. Combine ½ cup butter, sugar, cocoa, egg, and vanilla in a heavy sauce pan. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.

3. Add graham crackers crumbs, coconut, and chopped walnuts, stirring to combine. Press the mixture in the greased pan.

4. Make middle layer: Beat together ¼ cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla custard or pudding powder, and milk, until the mixture is creamy.

5. Spread over graham cracker base in cake pan. Refrigerate bars until firm, at least 1 hour.

6. Make topping: Melt semi-sweet chocolate and 1 Tablespoon butter. Drizzle over chilled bars. Return to refrigerator to chill until firm (at least 1 hour).

7. Cut into squares and serve.

Serves 16.

That looks uncannily like the very same recipe that I used to make my Nanaimo Bars... 'cept for the ingredient that isn't available in The States... I'll have to pick some up when I'm in Eskimo Land next time.

How can it truly be Canadian if beer isn't involved somehow, though? :p

I was hopin' for a lil' more controversy with this thread, though... where's Oscar and Jimbo at? :wah: Surely they or other FG igloo dwellers have a comment? Any Albertans who believe that this was originally their recipe? :D

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1207796 wrote: That looks uncannily like the very same recipe that I used to make my Nanaimo Bars... 'cept for the ingredient that isn't available in The States... I'll have to pick some up when I'm in Eskimo Land next time.

How can it truly be Canadian if beer isn't involved somehow, though? :p

I was hopin' for a lil' more controversy with this thread, though... where's Oscar and Jimbo at? :wah: Surely they or other FG igloo dwellers have a comment? Any Albertans who believe that this was originally their recipe? :D

controversy on nananimo bars?

maybe crumpets or tea!!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1207914 wrote: controversy on nananimo bars?

maybe crumpets or tea!!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I am on to something here, dammit!... I just know it!!! :sneaky:

Maybe I should scooch this thread over to the conspiracy theory thread... I've never posted a thread or post over there before... :thinking:

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1208105 wrote: I am on to something here, dammit!... I just know it!!! :sneaky:

Maybe I should scooch this thread over to the conspiracy theory thread... I've never posted a thread or post over there before... :thinking:

really...........what are you trying to find out?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

unsolved mysteries?

You have to be a canuck to know this.:sneaky::lips:
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Is this thread going to become another "Butter thread?":wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1208117 wrote: Is this thread going to become another "Butter thread?":wah:

Canadian butter this time!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

We do have cows here, were just not made up of ice!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G-man

Post by G-man »

Kathy Ellen;1208117 wrote: Is this thread going to become another "Butter thread?":wah:

Nooooooo...!!! :yh_rotfl Maybe this thread needs a poll... :wah:

Odie;1208179 wrote: Canadian butter this time!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

We do have cows here, were just not made up of ice!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

They can't be happy cows, though... happy cows come from California.

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1208315 wrote: Nooooooo...!!! :yh_rotfl Maybe this thread needs a poll... :wah:

They can't be happy cows, though... happy cows come from California.

Ontario Beef, grade z!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1208336 wrote: Ontario Beef, grade z!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

That CAN'T be good! :eek:

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1208738 wrote: That CAN'T be good! :eek:

I was joking!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

just don't eat at McDonald's!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

remember I used to be a manager there!;):lips::sneaky::confused::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1208743 wrote: I was joking!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

just don't eat at McDonald's!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

remember I used to be a manager there!;):lips::sneaky::confused::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Now worries there... haven't been near the place in decades! :D

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1208944 wrote: Now worries there... haven't been near the place in decades! :D

I just went last week, that Big Mac was sooooooooooo good!:guitarist:guitarist
G-man

Post by G-man »

So where were we? ...Oh yeah, should Nanaimo Bars be refrigerated or not? :D

Odie

Post by Odie »

G-man;1209356 wrote: So where were we? ...Oh yeah, should Nanaimo Bars be refrigerated or not? :D

yes........but leave at room temp for 30 minutes before eating.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Odie;1209407 wrote: yes........but leave at room temp for 30 minutes before eating.

They're better chilled, just like American beer... otherwise they're FAR too sweet! :p

I'm actually gonna' adjust the recipe next time... reduce the sweetness and make the custard more custard-y. I'm gonna' American-ize it! ...and probably change the name. :D

Return to “The Kitchen”