Out of date food

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
buttercup

Out of date food

Post by buttercup »

Do you buy it, is it safe to eat?

Thousands of items could see display-until dates abolished as part of Government measures to prevent edible food being binned.

Sell-by dates to be binned in waste war - Yahoo! News UK
Bez

Out of date food

Post by Bez »

I don't buy it if it's out of date, but for stuff in my fridge I use my sense of smell and eyesight.....if it looks/smells ok I eat it !!!! Never had any problems so far. I would draw the line at MEAT though if it looked a bit 'iffy' .
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bill Sikes

Out of date food

Post by Bill Sikes »

Bez;1201764 wrote: I don't buy it if it's out of date,

That's the point, though - "best before" (or even "display until") is not "use by".

Bez;1201764 wrote: but for stuff in my fridge I use my sense of smell and eyesight.....if it looks/smells ok I eat it !!!! Never had any problems so far.

The only thing I've had a problem with (of the stuff that looked OK) was a several-month-past-use-by yoghurt, which contained a bubble of mould.

Bez;1201764 wrote: I would draw the line at MEAT though if it looked a bit 'iffy' .

Some of the best quality meat can look "iffy" - that it's bright red does not mean it's of good quality, or even safe. I go by smell (but have been known to wash slimy meat before cooking!). Meat such as beef should be a nice red-brown-purple colour.
hoppy

Out of date food

Post by hoppy »

My old aunt Mary, R.I.P., used to throw away loads of food. She taped little notes on each can or box of food with the date she bought it. Once every month she would go through her pantry and check each item, looking at the date bought and any dates on the cans or boxes. Trouble was, she confused the sell by dates with the use by dates.

I tried my best to get her to give the food away but she was afraid she would poison someone.

I'm not too fussy. If it don't stink, move by itself or have green fuzz growing on it, I eat it.
spot

Out of date food

Post by spot »

hoppy;1201777 wrote: I'm not too fussy. If it don't stink, move by itself or have green fuzz growing on it, I eat it.

Go on, Camembert is meant to move around on the plate.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
hoppy

Out of date food

Post by hoppy »

spot;1201792 wrote: Go on, Camembert is meant to move around on the plate.

:yh_rotfl
pantoandy

Out of date food

Post by pantoandy »

i actually make a living from selling out of date foodstuffs on the markets.

i sell dried and tinned goods with a best before date.

where will this leave me ?.
buttercup

Out of date food

Post by buttercup »

Like everyone else on the planet, worry about your job.
YZGI

Out of date food

Post by YZGI »

pantoandy;1201815 wrote: i actually make a living from selling out of date foodstuffs on the markets.

Obviously..

Out of date.
Bryn Mawr

Out of date food

Post by Bryn Mawr »

buttercup;1201754 wrote: Do you buy it, is it safe to eat?

Thousands of items could see display-until dates abolished as part of Government measures to prevent edible food being binned.

Sell-by dates to be binned in waste war - Yahoo! News UK

Big difference between Use By and Best Before - I'll quite happily eat food after its best before date which is always very generous anyway but I check food past its use by date much more thoroughly before eating it.
spot

Out of date food

Post by spot »

Hilary Benn's proposal is aimed, as I understand it, at reducing the amount of food thrown out as waste due to expiry.

Removing sell-by dates and labelling only with use-by dates will, it seems to me, have exactly the reverse effect. At the moment stores reduce prices on the shelf to shift the goods before their sell-by date passes. People buy the stuff and still have several days in which to consume before they chuck it. Having just a use-by date, the number of days in which the food will be in the house before chucking will just be reduced to a maximum of a day in those circumstances.

The only logical outcome I can foresee is more food being thrown out, not less.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

Out of date food

Post by Nomad »

pantoandy;1201815 wrote: i actually make a living from selling out of date foodstuffs on the markets.

Youre probly going to spend eternity in hell.

Sorry.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Chezzie

Out of date food

Post by Chezzie »

eating lots of dried and tinned food:yh_rotfl
Ozay

Out of date food

Post by Ozay »

One of the worst experience i had with 'out of date' food is when i took some sandwiches to work (when i was under the dellusion that my job was secure!) only to have to throw most of them away cos there was mould on the crusts. It is a slight concern to me about sell by dates, i think they aren't always accurate but then again u never know. I think it dictates what u buy from supermarkets to some extent. There is so much things that don't last enough days like sliced meat...as soon as u open it is says 'eat within two days' and a lot of these salad bags say to eat within half a week. Thank goodness for freezers it is one way to

beat these best before dates.

Return to “The Kitchen”