Pate de fois gras

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Victoria

Pate de fois gras

Post by Victoria »

Yesterday 3 major hotel chains in the Netherlands announced that they will no longer be offering pate de fois gras on their menu because of the animal welfare concerns.

It is illegal to produce in this country and so has to be imported from France, animal welfare groups have welcomed the news but still want a total ban on the cruel method of production used for the pate.
spot

Pate de fois gras

Post by spot »

Only five countries [within the European Union] still produce foie gras: Belgium, Bulgaria, Spain, France and Hungary. [Outside the EU it's made in the US, China and Quebec]

"Until new scientific evidence on alternative methods and their welfare aspects is available", the production of foie gras is prohibited by treaty except for "where it is current practice" among 35 countries bound by the Council of Europe's European Convention for the Protection of Animals kept for Farming Purposes.

That and more background are on Foie gras controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
farmer giles

Pate de fois gras

Post by farmer giles »

tut just like the spanish and french ....... the sods :thinking::thinking:
spot

Pate de fois gras

Post by spot »

I don't eat the stuff but I've less objection to making it with outdoor free-range birds than I have with factory-farm production of beef, milk, eggs or bacon. Victoria's "cruel method of production" applies far more to those.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
farmer giles

Pate de fois gras

Post by farmer giles »

spot;1201735 wrote: I don't eat the stuff but I've less objection to making it with outdoor free-range birds than I have with factory-farm production of beef, milk, eggs or bacon. Victoria's "cruel method of production" applies far more to those.

totally agree i'm pretty much veggie now :thinking:
Victoria

Pate de fois gras

Post by Victoria »

spot;1201735 wrote: I don't eat the stuff but I've less objection to making it with outdoor free-range birds than I have with factory-farm production of beef, milk, eggs or bacon. Victoria's "cruel method of production" applies far more to those.

The cruel method I referred to was indeed the factory method where birds are force fed serveral times a day via funnels or tubes by pneumatic systems increasing thier liver to betwwen 5 and 10 times it natural size.

unfortunaltly very little is made with natural free range birds..
minks

Pate de fois gras

Post by minks »

Quebec ahahahaha love it you rattle off all the countries and I think that is awesome you singled out Quebec from the rest of Canada :yh_rotfl
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
YZGI

Pate de fois gras

Post by YZGI »

Nasty stuff. What kind of people eat that crap?
spot

Pate de fois gras

Post by spot »

YZGI;1201817 wrote: Nasty stuff. What kind of people eat that crap?

Toutes les gormandes du monde.
YZGI

Pate de fois gras

Post by YZGI »

spot;1201820 wrote: Toutes les gormandes du monde.
Just a sec, I'm googling to see if I have been insulted..:D
YZGI

Pate de fois gras

Post by YZGI »

YZGI;1201821 wrote: Just a sec, I'm googling to see if I have been insulted..:D
Whew. wasn't insulting me.
spot

Pate de fois gras

Post by spot »

YZGI;1201822 wrote: Whew. wasn't insulting me.

It was a dreadful attempt at french though.

It ought to be "Tous les gourmandes de la monde", according to Google.
YZGI

Pate de fois gras

Post by YZGI »

spot;1201843 wrote: It was a dreadful attempt at french though.

It ought to be "Tous les gourmandes de la monde", according to Google.
LOL. I found that out when I went to yahoo babel to have it translated. See I'm not a French spelling nazi.
Lon

Pate de fois gras

Post by Lon »

I love the stuff---------maybe there is a great financial opportunity now for "BLACK MARKET PATE DE FOIS GRAS"
YZGI

Pate de fois gras

Post by YZGI »

Lon;1201883 wrote: I love the stuff---------maybe there is a great financial opportunity now for "BLACK MARKET PATE DE FOIS GRAS"
It's been my experience that more white people eat it.:D
mikeinie

Pate de fois gras

Post by mikeinie »

The delicate feeding process to ensure the liver tastes to the highest quality…

Lon

Pate de fois gras

Post by Lon »

mikeinie;1201906 wrote: The delicate feeding process to ensure the liver tastes to the highest quality…

Isn't that what Hannibal Lechter said?:wah:
farmer giles

Pate de fois gras

Post by farmer giles »

YZGI;1201884 wrote: It's been my experience that more white people eat it.:D

come on guys that was really funny would it hurt anyone to laugh:rolleyes::rolleyes::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
YZGI

Pate de fois gras

Post by YZGI »

farmer giles;1201935 wrote: come on guys that was really funny would it hurt anyone to laugh:rolleyes::rolleyes::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Its me and you bud.

farmer giles

Pate de fois gras

Post by farmer giles »

YZGI;1201938 wrote: Its me and you bud.

your damn right :yh_rotfl
Chockygirl

Pate de fois gras

Post by Chockygirl »

Seems that they don't have a conscience past their own greedy appetites.:mad:

Return to “The Kitchen”