Irradiated food.

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Bill Sikes

Irradiated food.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Following on from a throwaway line by Spot in "Carrots. Peaches", I was intrigued to learn about food irradiation and regulations pertaining to such in this country.

So, for your delectation:

Food Standards Agency - Irradiated food

Quotes:

"There is only one source of ionising radiation permitted for food irradiation in the UK: gamma rays from cobalt-60."

"It is required that all foods, or ingredients of foods listed on the label, which have been irradiated, are labelled as 'irradiated' or 'treated with ionising radiation'. When irradiated food is not pre-packed and is sold for immediate consumption (for example, in restaurants) it must be marked or labelled on a menu, notice or ticket that the consumer can see when choosing the food."

"In the UK, only correctly labelled irradiated herbs, spices or vegetable seasonings are permitted.

Current national regulations allow for the irradiation of seven categories of food: fruit, vegetables, cereals, bulbs and tubers, spices and condiments, fish and shellfish and poultry. However, only one licence for the irradiation of a number of herbs and spices has so far been granted."

I don't think I've ever seen the foods listed (latterly) above labelled as "Irradiated" or "Treated with ionising radiation - have you?
Accountable

Irradiated food.

Post by Accountable »

I haven't heard much about it, except that it makes some people nervous. It's been around for a long time and is perfectly safe.

ABC News: John Stossel on the Benefits of Food Irradiation

Return to “The Kitchen”