Corned beef.

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Bill Sikes

Corned beef.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Why is it that (UK) corned beef seems to be of better quality in the big slices which you can buy pre-packed or at the deli. than in the tinned version, which is often full of tubey bits and the odd small bone fragment?

BTW, corned beef I've had in other countries is unlike UK corned beef, being much stringier.
qsducks

Corned beef.

Post by qsducks »

Bill Sikes;1198903 wrote: Why is it that (UK) corned beef seems to be of better quality in the big slices which you can buy pre-packed or at the deli. than in the tinned version, which is often full of tubey bits and the odd small bone fragment?

BTW, corned beef I've had in other countries is unlike UK corned beef, being much stringier.

Here's your lunch or tea for today...

Oscar Namechange

Corned beef.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bill Sikes;1198903 wrote: Why is it that (UK) corned beef seems to be of better quality in the big slices which you can buy pre-packed or at the deli. than in the tinned version, which is often full of tubey bits and the odd small bone fragment?

BTW, corned beef I've had in other countries is unlike UK corned beef, being much stringier. Now you come to mention it..... yes. I do love a corned beef hash and i use the tinned as it's better for cutting into chunks.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bill Sikes

Corned beef.

Post by Bill Sikes »

qsducks;1198907 wrote: Here's your lunch or tea for today...

You see? Yours is much redder, and looks like meat (has a grain), whereas ours is more of a block of little pieces of stuff all squashed up together, and more brown.
Bill Sikes

Corned beef.

Post by Bill Sikes »

oscar;1198929 wrote: Now you come to mention it..... yes. I do love a corned beef hash and i use the tinned as it's better for cutting into chunks.

Corned beef is salty, you don't need too much!

However, what about the difference between the tinned stuff and the "deli" stuff? What/why?
Oscar Namechange

Corned beef.

Bill Sikes;1198941 wrote: Corned beef is salty, you don't need too much!

However, what about the difference between the tinned stuff and the "deli" stuff? What/why? I do buy the Deli stuff for salads in slices. Is it down to the country that it comes from? I believe the tinned is Argentinian..... maybe the Deli stuff is better quality because it's from different suppliers. I have noticed the same with tinned fish which has skin and bits of bone in it (cat food in this house).
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lon

Corned beef.

Post by Lon »

15 years ago the wife and I took a trip to Tonga and visited a number of small islands in the Tonga Chain. We actually carried a number of cans of Corned Beef with us from California to trade with natives for their carvings etc. I really didn't believe that someone would trade like that, but they did. They love corned beef.
qsducks

Corned beef.

Post by qsducks »

Lon;1198969 wrote: 15 years ago the wife and I took a trip to Tonga and visited a number of small islands in the Tonga Chain. We actually carried a number of cans of Corned Beef with us from California to trade with natives for their carvings etc. I really didn't believe that someone would trade like that, but they did. They love corned beef.

Who knows, maybe they'll trade you for SPAM next:wah:
Sunshine

Corned beef.

Post by Sunshine »

I love cornbeef hash. My favorite way to cook it is brown it in a frying pan, make little nests with it and then plop in an egg in the middle and continue to cook until the egg is done. Yummmmmmmy :D
qsducks

Corned beef.

Post by qsducks »

Hubs loves the stuff...I don't care fot it myself.:wah:
Sunshine

Corned beef.

Post by Sunshine »

qsducks;1198971 wrote: Who knows, maybe they'll trade you for SPAM next:wah:

Spam, the mystery meat. Strange thing is, I like it in a sandwich. I slice it and fry it first. It really is good odd as that might sound. :-3
Oscar Namechange

Corned beef.

Sunshine;1199003 wrote: I love cornbeef hash. My favorite way to cook it is brown it in a frying pan, make little nests with it and then plop in an egg in the middle and continue to cook until the egg is done. Yummmmmmmy :D I fry cubes of potatoe and onions and then add the corned beef with lashings of Worcestershire sauce and a tad of Tabasco.
Sunshine

Corned beef.

Post by Sunshine »

oscar;1199007 wrote: I fry cubes of potatoe and onions and then add the corned beef with lashings of Worcestershire sauce and a tad of Tabasco.

That sounds good too. I may try that next time. :D
Victoria

Corned beef.

Post by Victoria »

Almost impossible to get over here people consider it cat food!
Odie

Corned beef.

Post by Odie »

our fresh corn beef is stringy......but it just awesome compared to the tinned.
Life is just to short for drama.
Bill Sikes

Corned beef.

Post by Bill Sikes »

oscar;1198942 wrote: tinned fish which has skin and bits of bone in it (cat food in this house).

I do not approve of giving food like this to animals. We cause enough environmental damage just feeding ourselves.
Bill Sikes

Corned beef.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1199083 wrote: our fresh corn beef is stringy......but it just awesome compared to the tinned.

I'm not sure what "fresh corned beef" is, but I don't think it's available in the UK.
Odie

Corned beef.

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1199176 wrote: I'm not sure what "fresh corned beef" is, but I don't think it's available in the UK.

you can buy it at your deli or meat counter.

We have huge roast beefs, turkeys, hams, rolls of mortadella, pepperoni, etc any kind of meats.....they slice them for you.

....uncooked or uncooked.
Oscar Namechange

Corned beef.

Bill Sikes;1199175 wrote: I do not approve of giving food like this to animals. We cause enough environmental damage just feeding ourselves. Sorry Bill but white fish in olive oil is extremely healthy for them. I did a lot of research into pet foods and was horrified at the additives, flavourings and chemichals. My dogs only have fresh chicken, beef and veg as well. I'm convinced they live longer and far healthier for it.
minks

Corned beef.

Post by minks »

oh good lord I am hungry now. I have never cooked corned beef, but my mother used to buy it in a kind of pouch and it was seasoned and you boiled it (I think) and she would boild cabbage too and we ate corned beef and cabbage OMG it was delicious. I also love a good reuben sandwich.... OMG guess what I want for dinner now yummmy
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
along-for-the-ride

Corned beef.

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Sunshine;1199003 wrote: I love cornbeef hash. My favorite way to cook it is brown it in a frying pan, make little nests with it and then plop in an egg in the middle and continue to cook until the egg is done. Yummmmmmmy :D

:) I am also a corned beef hash fan. I like it with eggs over easy and toast. And the toast must be cut diagonally. Really.

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bill Sikes

Corned beef.

Post by Bill Sikes »

oscar;1199278 wrote: Sorry Bill but white fish in olive oil is extremely healthy for them.

Whoosh!
Bill Sikes

Corned beef.

Post by Bill Sikes »

minks;1199305 wrote: boild cabbage too and we ate corned beef and cabbage OMG it was delicious

You can boil savoy cabbage and then add lightly fried bacon fragments and a small amount of onion - that's delicious. Savoy cabbage is IMO markedly superior to ordinary, and "white" cabbage is simply nowhere.

Oh, good. It is the kitchen I thought it was.
Odie

Corned beef.

Post by Odie »

minks;1199305 wrote: oh good lord I am hungry now. I have never cooked corned beef, but my mother used to buy it in a kind of pouch and it was seasoned and you boiled it (I think) and she would boild cabbage too and we ate corned beef and cabbage OMG it was delicious. I also love a good reuben sandwich.... OMG guess what I want for dinner now yummmy

omg.....when corned beef is from a deli served up on rye and is soooooooooot thick..and of course it has to be with a huge dill pickle.......its just to dye for!:guitarist:guitarist
Nomad

Corned beef.

Post by Nomad »

For something like corned beef or pastrami, really any sliced meat Id recommend the butcher or a deli. Who knows what ugly things really go on in those corned beef factories.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

Corned beef.

Nomad;1200423 wrote: . Who knows what ugly things really go on in those corned beef factories. That's no way to talk about the staff.

Return to “The Kitchen”