You Would Love My Meatloaf

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Wife will be away for a couple of weeks so yesterday I made my self a big meatloaf, which I learned to make from my mom a long time ago. And like my mother, I don't really measure anything. I very seldom do it the same way and yet it always is superb. You really have to be a rotten cook to screw up a meatloaf. I mixed the following ingredients by hand until the mixture looked and felt just right. 3 lbs of hamburger (mince) 80/20, cornflakes, finely chopped green bell pepper, finely chopped celery, finely chopped red onion, two eggs, ketchup, worcestershire sauce. pepper, salt. I place my meatloaf in a 4 inch Corning ware Casserole dish uncovered and cook in oven at 375 F for one hour. Take out of the oven and let sit for 30 minutes before slicing and drain off the fat and oil that has collected in the casserole dish. Ah---it's firm and moist and even tastes better three days from now, freezes well, makes great sandwiches.

Any way, with a little mushroom brown gravy, some string beans and rice and a glass of burgundy, that was Sunday's dinner.

Attached files
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Lon;1190526 wrote: Wife will be away for a couple of weeks so yesterday I made my self a big meatloaf, which I learned to make from my mom a long time ago. And like my mother, I don't really measure anything. I very seldom do it the same way and yet it always is superb. You really have to be a rotten cook to screw up a meatloaf. I mixed the following ingredients by hand until the mixture looked and felt just right. 3 lbs of hamburger (mince) 80/20, cornflakes, finely chopped green bell pepper, finely chopped celery, finely chopped red onion, two eggs, ketchup, worcestershire sauce. pepper, salt. I place my meatloaf in a 4 inch Corning ware Casserole dish uncovered and cook in oven at 375 F for one hour. Take out of the oven and let sit for 30 minutes before slicing and drain off the fat and oil that has collected in the casserole dish. Ah---it's firm and moist and even tastes better three days from now, freezes well, makes great sandwiches.

Any way, with a little mushroom brown gravy, some string beans and rice and a glass of burgundy, that was Sunday's dinner.

i dont measure either......i use the same receipe as you except for the cornflakes....
FOC THREAD PART 1
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Lon;1190526 wrote: Wife will be away for a couple of weeks so yesterday I made my self a big meatloaf, which I learned to make from my mom a long time ago. And like my mother, I don't really measure anything. I very seldom do it the same way and yet it always is superb. You really have to be a rotten cook to screw up a meatloaf. I mixed the following ingredients by hand until the mixture looked and felt just right. 3 lbs of hamburger (mince) 80/20, cornflakes, finely chopped green bell pepper, finely chopped celery, finely chopped red onion, two eggs, ketchup, worcestershire sauce. pepper, salt. I place my meatloaf in a 4 inch Corning ware Casserole dish uncovered and cook in oven at 375 F for one hour. Take out of the oven and let sit for 30 minutes before slicing and drain off the fat and oil that has collected in the casserole dish. Ah---it's firm and moist and even tastes better three days from now, freezes well, makes great sandwiches.

people wonder how I make cakes without measuring. Cause I've made so many I suppose.

the cornflake bit got me.
Lon

Post by Lon »

fuzzywuzzy;1190538 wrote: people wonder how I make cakes without measuring. Cause I've made so many I suppose.

the cornflake bit got me.

Sometimes I will use Cheerios or Saltines, whatever is available as a binder.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

And we weren't invited?:thinking: I make mine with 1 lb ground beef, a bit of ketchup, a box of chicken stuffing, onions, minced peppers, 1 egg, pepper & salt. Hubs & kids love it:-4. I serve it with baked potatoes & whatever green veggie I have on hand which reminds me...have to get more peas.:wah:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1190613 wrote: Sometimes I will use Cheerios or Saltines, whatever is available as a binder.

Breadcrumbs?

Definitely a traditionalist, me :-)
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Lon

I use crackers etc what ever is around as you stated

ever tried Croutons

delish

Patsy
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Patsy Warnick;1190716 wrote: Lon

I use crackers etc what ever is around as you stated

ever tried Croutons

delish

Patsy

Yup, you definately need a binder for it or it falls apart.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1190715 wrote: Breadcrumbs?

Sure, breadcrumbs are good, as are croutons.
Peg

Post by Peg »

I don't believe you that your meatloaf is good. Bring me some and prove it.:sneaky:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Peg;1190806 wrote: I don't believe you that your meatloaf is good. Bring me some and prove it.:sneaky:

Should we have a meatloaf contest? Who's is better. Peg, why don't you try both recipes and let us know....I'm def. gonna try Lons...sounds intriguing and also very delish. I also like to put bacon slices on top of mine before putting it into the oven.:-4
Peg

Post by Peg »

Cook it myself? I was going for them cooking it FOR me. :yh_rotfl
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Peg;1190867 wrote: Cook it myself? I was going for them cooking it FOR me. :yh_rotfl

You could always go to Boston Market:yh_rotfl
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Lon, I'm making this recipe tonight & will let you know how the brood liked it. Thanks for another wonderful recipe.:-4
Coconut

Post by Coconut »

Has anyone tried making meatloaf with bbq sauce instead of ketchup?
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Lon, does using cornflakes instead of bread, crackers, etc., change the taste of it?

I have been searching most of my adult life for a meatloaf that tastes like the one in my Jr. high school cafeteria, without much luck. The closest thing to it is Stauffer's Salisbury Steak.

A friend of mine in San Diego puts BBQ sauce in hers as well as ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce bread and carrots, plus some other stuff. It's good!
Chockygirl

Post by Chockygirl »

Bryn Mawr;1190715 wrote: Breadcrumbs?

Yep,breadcrumbs in mine as well.

And,I usually add chopped bacon also.

Lon,what's time is dinner?

I can probably be there in 18+ hours or so.:D
Lon

Post by Lon »

Zapata;1199317 wrote: Lon, does using cornflakes instead of bread, crackers, etc., change the taste of it?

Not really---the other ingredieints dominate.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Lon;1190526 wrote: 3 lbs of hamburger (mince) 80/20, cornflakes, finely chopped green bell pepper, finely chopped celery, finely chopped red onion, two eggs, ketchup, worcestershire sauce. pepper, salt.

I have a screaming urge to add some liver to the above. What are your thoughts on that?
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Lon;1190613 wrote: Sometimes I will use Cheerios or Saltines, whatever is available as a binder.

My X wife always used oatmeal. No foolin.:D
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bill Sikes;1199345 wrote: I have a screaming urge to add some liver to the above. What are your thoughts on that?

I think the flavor of the liver would be lost due to the other ingredients and thus a waste of your liver.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

hoppy;1199346 wrote: My X wife always used oatmeal. No foolin.:D

I've made it with oatmeal. It's very good.
Coconut

Post by Coconut »

Zapata;1199317 wrote: A friend of mine in San Diego puts BBQ sauce in hers as well as ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce bread and carrots, plus some other stuff. It's good!

That sounds like an interesting combo of flavors! I usually substitute the ketchup with bbq sauce... I think it gives it a better flavor. I usually use oats with my meatloaf... I haven't tried it with corn flakes though I've heard that works just as well.

If you want to try a meatloaf with bbq sauce there's a great recipe for it on the Just Add BBQ blog.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Coconut;1199170 wrote: Has anyone tried making meatloaf with bbq sauce instead of ketchup?

Yes. Its sassy.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Lon;1199353 wrote: I think the flavor of the liver would be lost due to the other ingredients and thus a waste of your liver.

The flavor of liver my lilly white ass !
I AM AWESOME MAN
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I made it again but this time I used it for burgers....it was delish. Very juicy burgers.
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

like a bat out of hell i'd eat it by the dash board light ,i'd do anything for loaf but i wont do that :):)
Lon

Post by Lon »

Nomad;1200069 wrote: The flavor of liver my lilly white ass !

White ass instead of liver? Now that would be different.:wah:
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

farmer giles;1200100 wrote: like a bat out of hell i'd eat it by the dash board light ,i'd do anything for loaf but i wont do that :):)

just in case someone never got my funny these are meatloaf lyrics that have been jimbo'd

if you guys were just ignoring it carry on :rolleyes::rolleyes:
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

YouTube - Paradise by the dashboard light

YouTube - Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell

i might just be on to something here annoying as ever but still sort of on topic :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:sneaky::sneaky:

be afriad very afraid :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

farmer giles;1200126 wrote: YouTube - Paradise by the dashboard light

YouTube - Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell

i might just be on to something here annoying as ever but still sort of on topic :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:sneaky::sneaky:

be afriad very afraid :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I love meatloaf the meal but not the band:wah:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Lon;1200107 wrote: White ass instead of liver? Now that would be different.:wah:

Im off to the grocers Lon. Havent grilled yet this year.

Big fat juicy burgers w/ sharp cheddar on a grilled griddled onion roll and potato salad or steak and asparagus ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Post by Odie »

farmer giles;1200100 wrote: like a bat out of hell i'd eat it by the dash board light ,i'd do anything for loaf but i wont do that :):)

I gotta know right now, will you love me, will you love me tonight?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “The Kitchen”