Microwaving vegetables.

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Bill Sikes

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Theoretically, the best way of cooking them, with the possible exception of using a pressure cooker (which is not nearly so convenient, or forgiving of timing errors).

So, I'm off to microwave a couple of bunches of asparagus spears, in butter and cracked pepper.
daBunnyWendy7

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by daBunnyWendy7 »

Bill, did you know you cook away the vitamins when you nuke em? A small pan w a a few tablespoons of water on medium heat for about 7 to ten mins will give you great results! I try not to use the microwave much.:)
Wendybunny

Everyone can make the world a better place!
dubs

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by dubs »

Bill Sikes;1185117 wrote: Theoretically, the best way of cooking them, with the possible exception of using a pressure cooker (which is not nearly so convenient, or forgiving of timing errors).

So, I'm off to microwave a couple of bunches of asparagus spears, in butter and cracked pepper.

I suspect on a more carefully chosen plate, this time..:)

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Carolly

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Carolly »

Basically a Microwave is a powerful Steamer and Steaming any veg is so much better for you.Carrots are so sweet done in one:-4
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Bill Sikes

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Yes. A deep stoneware thing, oval-ish with flared-out ends. Not too much pepper.

Cooked for 1 minute 50 seconds in a 1KW machine. Delicious.

The good thing about using a microwave is that it's *quick*. A faster result means (generally) lower loss of nutritional value. Boiling (or steaming) veg. for ages isn't so good - also, the pressure-cooker, which is also very good, is very time critical for veg. - a short time "over", and the results can be rather sludgy.
Carolly

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Carolly »

Bill Sikes;1185130 wrote: Yes. A deep stoneware thing, oval-ish with flared-out ends. Not too much pepper.

Cooked for 1 minute 50 seconds in a 1KW machine. Delicious.

The good thing about using a microwave is that it's *quick*. A faster result means (generally) lower loss of nutritional value. Boiling (or steaming) veg. for ages isn't so good - also, the pressure-cooker, which is also very good, is very time critical for veg. - a short time "over", and the results can be rather sludgy.Best way to cook Cauliflower on the hob is to bring it to the boil.....not tons of water....let it cook just a couple of minutes and then turn it off....with the lid on the saucepan to steam it for the rest of the time....cabbage just cook with no lid on and stir a couple of times and test to see if its done after a few minutes.....perfect every time and nice and green and not soggy an that yukky colour:D
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Kathy Ellen

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Maybe it's a Yankee thing, but I love my veggies grilled and crunchy with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper. red pepper flakes and sesame seeds:-6

I've tried cooking meat and veggies in a slow cooker or boiled and just don't like it. But, I do like to add those cooked ingredients with baked or grilled foods.

I love my microwave for defrosting and reheating and my toaster oven for cooking small items.:-6
Carolly

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Carolly »

Kathy Ellen;1185136 wrote: Maybe it's a Yankee thing, but I love my veggies grilled and crunchy with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper. red pepper flakes and sesame seeds:-6

I've tried cooking meat and veggies in a slow cooker or boiled and just don't like it. But, I do like to add those cooked ingredients with baked or grilled foods.

I love my microwave for defrosting and reheating and my toaster oven for cooking small items.:-6Kathy you know I love you dearly dont you...but.....go away as you always make me feel hungry when you start talking about the delic food you cook and its gone midnight here and I cant start making a cake now fgs:wah::wah:;):-4....Loves ye babexx
Kathy Ellen

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Carolly;1185138 wrote: Kathy you know I love you dearly dont you...but.....go away as you always make me feel hungry when you start talking about the delic food you cook and its gone midnight here and I cant start making a cake now fgs:wah::wah:;):-4....Loves ye babexx

lubs ya too mate:-4;) Guess I'm just a sweet and salty kind a gal:wah:

Sorry Bill for derailing your thread:p

Do you like to grill and eat hot and spicy foods:D
Bill Sikes

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Bill Sikes »

I do also cook veg. by boiling it - make sure the water in the pan (not too much) is boiling fast first of all. Put in the veg., clap the lid on (glass lids allow you to see what's happening, to an extent). Drain when done, & depending on the veg. shock with cold water to prevent further cooking, drain again. Cauliflower, broccoli, cook stem down, about 3 mins, possibly "X" the stem with a knife, water to cover base of stem only. Should be bright green (broccoli!) & have a *slight* "crunch" (cauliflower). N.B. carrots do not seem to me suitable for MWing. Cook in minimal water, enough so that when the carrots are done, they've *very nearly* boiled dry - add butter, shake, dish up (no need to drain, there's no excess water left!). Very easy to burn things if you don't watch 'em like a hawk.
Carolly

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Carolly »

Bill Sikes;1185144 wrote: I do also cook veg. by boiling it - make sure the water in the pan (not too much) is boiling fast first of all. Put in the veg., clap the lid on (glass lids allow you to see what's happening, to an extent). Drain when done, & depending on the veg. shock with cold water to prevent further cooking, drain again. Cauliflower, broccoli, cook stem down, about 3 mins, possibly "X" the stem with a knife, water to cover base of stem only. Should be bright green (broccoli!) & have a *slight* "crunch" (cauliflower). N.B. carrots do not seem to me suitable for MWing. Cook in minimal water, enough so that when the carrots are done, they've *very nearly* boiled dry - add butter, shake, dish up (no need to drain, there's no excess water left!). Very easy to burn things if you don't watch 'em like a hawk.Eat yer heart out Ramsey baby:wah::D
Lon

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Lon »

daBunnyWendy7;1185121 wrote: Bill, did you know you cook away the vitamins when you nuke em? A small pan w a a few tablespoons of water on medium heat for about 7 to ten mins will give you great results! I try not to use the microwave much.:)

That's not true-----------use a sealed microwavable dish and do not add water.
Bill Sikes

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Kathy Ellen;1185143 wrote:

Do you like to grill and eat hot and spicy foods:D

Grilling things is fine, for some things (our UK "grill" is, I think, your "broil") - however, not too hot and spicy, thank you. The food *is* "tastier", but it's all *one* taste, and too much chili makes me perspire excessively.
Kathy Ellen

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bill Sikes;1185151 wrote: Grilling things is fine, for some things (our UK "grill" is, I think, your "broil") - however, not too hot and spicy, thank you. The food *is* "tastier", but it's all *one* taste, and too much chili makes me perspire excessively.

Oh Bill, I love hot and spicy foods. I think it's because I have allergies and sometimes lose my sense of smell and taste. So, if I eat spicy foods I can really taste the flavors.

Yes, our grill is our oven broiler or an outdoor grill. I know it's not great to charbroil your food all the time, but I love to grill during the summer. It's lovely to sit out on the patio in the warm sun eating grilled, yummy food and having a lovely cocktail like a "Blue Lagoon," a pinot noir or icy cold Smithwicks....OH, and smelling the salt sea air:D
Bez

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by Bez »

Four 8 months recently I had no other means of cooking than by microwave oven. I bought some special microwave containers (quite cheap) and became quite inventive menu wise. Because it's quick it is an economical way to cook and it's clean too. I've never found that the taste of food is compromised and I still use it a lot even though I have a 'proper' oven and hob now.

I've avoided the sparkly effect so far....:-6
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
qsducks

Microwaving vegetables.

Post by qsducks »

Bill Sikes;1185117 wrote: Theoretically, the best way of cooking them, with the possible exception of using a pressure cooker (which is not nearly so convenient, or forgiving of timing errors).

We tried broiled asparagus a couple of weeks ago. Brush with a bit of olive oil and minced garlic. Broil for about 4 min. each side.:-4

Return to “The Kitchen”