Microwaves and plates.

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Bill Sikes

Microwaves and plates.

Post by Bill Sikes »

I put some broccoli on a plate. I put it in the microwave. I switched the thing on, and was treated to a sparkly display of purple winking lights around the plate.

Realised what was happening. Swithed off the microwave as quickly as I could.

Oh, bother. It wasn't the broccoli doing this - it was the gold rim of the nice plate I'd inadvertantly used.

Knickers, it's a bit knackered.
Carolly

Microwaves and plates.

Post by Carolly »

Bill Sikes;1185115 wrote: I put some broccoli on a plate. I put it in the microwave. I switched the thing on, and was treated to a sparkly display of purple winking lights around the plate.

Oh, bother. It wasn't the broccoli doing this - it was the gold rim of the nice plate I'd inadvertantly used.

Your also meant to cover the food ye cooking for it to steam.....ye Gold dont help also;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Bill Sikes

Microwaves and plates.

Post by Bill Sikes »

This broccoli (calabrese) was already cooked - I was just warming it. It happened to be on a nice plate - I knew about the effect, but had a momentary aberration. Thought to myself "Why's it doing *that*, then? Haven't seen broccoli sparking before!". Kicked myself as soon as I saw, but it was too late. The rim looks as though it's got some wierd sort of worm. Only took 10-15 secs, if that. Drat.
Carolly

Microwaves and plates.

Post by Carolly »

Bill Sikes;1185132 wrote: This broccoli (calabrese) was already cooked - I was just warming it. It happened to be on a nice plate - I knew about the effect, but had a momentary aberration. Thought to myself "Why's it doing *that*, then? Haven't seen broccoli sparking before!". Kicked myself as soon as I saw, but it was too late. The rim looks as though it's got some wierd sort of worm. Only took 10-15 secs, if that. Drat.You naughty boy.....yer just like my Chris also....he just bungs it on a plate and sticks it in the Microwave.....you should really cover it ye know even though ye heating it up....thats what Microwave covers are for;)So is it not working now at all?
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Bill Sikes

Microwaves and plates.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Carolly;1185134 wrote: So is it not working now at all?

The MW's fine - the plate's a bit ragged, that's all. I was just warming leftovers. Bother.

Strangely, the migrowave came with a non-stick *metal* plate in it, rather than the glass ones often seen.

Whatever you do, *don't* tell anybody that you can do a search on the 'net for "microwave oven tricks" or "microwave oven experiments", and really, really *avoid* mentioning anything to do with searching for "unwise microwave oven experiments". Seriously, the results can be impressively nasty.
Snowfire

Microwaves and plates.

Post by Snowfire »

Bill Sikes;1185115 wrote: I put some broccoli on a plate. I put it in the microwave. I switched the thing on, and was treated to a sparkly display of purple winking lights around the plate.

Yup done that. Looked a bit like something Nikola Tesla built. Wont be doing that again
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
daBunnyWendy7

Microwaves and plates.

Post by daBunnyWendy7 »

Yikes,Bill!!! Lucky you were standing there! You could've had a fire!
Wendybunny

Everyone can make the world a better place!
Bill Sikes

Microwaves and plates.

Post by Bill Sikes »

daBunnyWendy7;1185154 wrote: You could've had a fire!

That's what I keep my electric fan oven for!
Carolly

Microwaves and plates.

Post by Carolly »

Bill Sikes;1185137 wrote: The MW's fine - the plate's a bit ragged, that's all. I was just warming leftovers. Bother.

Strangely, the migrowave came with a non-stick *metal* plate in it, rather than the glass ones often seen.

Whatever you do, *don't* tell anybody that you can do a search on the 'net for "microwave oven tricks" or "microwave oven experiments", and really, really *avoid* mentioning anything to do with searching for "unwise microwave oven experiments". Seriously, the results can be impressively nasty.Ok;):lips::)
Lon

Microwaves and plates.

Post by Lon »

Here are some of the things that I microwave some of the time. Chicken, fish, sweet potatoes, spaghetti sauce, all frozen veggies & some fresh veggies, eggs, gravies, enchiladas, burritos, tamales, white potatoes. Frozen fruits and berries. I also use the microwave to defrost frozen beef, chicken and pork. There are some excellent microwave recipes on the web for cooking a complete meal. It's clean, it's efficient and tastes soooooo good.
Accountable

Microwaves and plates.

Post by Accountable »

I did that once as a teenager. Tried to make hot chocolate in a cup that had a gold rim. Scared the hell outa me! :eek:
Oscar Namechange

Microwaves and plates.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Knickers, it's a bit knackered. When we have a chinese delivered, it comes in clear plastic trays with lids and they are great for microwaving. If not..... buy some cheap thick plastic plates for the micro-wave.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

Microwaves and plates.

Post by qsducks »

My son put his Hotwheel car into the microwave & turned it on:-5...a small fire which was contained by me...the nuker itself was thrown out. Haven't had one in almost 3 yrs.

Return to “The Kitchen”