Ox-Tail

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Chezzie

Ox-Tail

Post by Chezzie »

Anyone here cook with Oxtail?

I keep seeing chefs on tv cook with this cut of meat lately and as I love stews and meat and veg cooked in a slow cooker I thought I might try it.

Is it a very strong tasting meat?

Found this recipe I will try oxtail stew but wondered if anyone here had a recipe of their own.
spot

Ox-Tail

Post by spot »

Yes, very strong, that's why it's used. It's a wonderful slow braising meat.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chezzie

Ox-Tail

Post by Chezzie »

spot;1158233 wrote: Yes, very strong, that's why it's used. It's a wonderful slow braising meat.

Thanks Spot, I love meat on a bone and have my slow cooker. Seems to be popular at the moment and not as cheap as it used to be but I really want to try it. Neville a local butcher in the next town of Buckley is very reasonable so I shall go and chat him up in the morning:D
Oscar Namechange

Ox-Tail

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Chezzie;1158234 wrote: Thanks Spot, I love meat on a bone and have my slow cooker. Seems to be popular at the moment and not as cheap as it used to be but I really want to try it. Neville a local butcher in the next town of Buckley is very reasonable so I shall go and chat him up in the morning:D Like Spot..... I agree with a strong flavour. I seal mine in hot oil first and then put into a stew p-ot with garlic and onions. I give it a good few hours on low heat and then add carrots etc half an hour towards the end of cooking. Even better with some home made dumplings :-4:-4:-4
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Nomad

Ox-Tail

Post by Nomad »

Chezzie;1158198 wrote: Anyone here cook with Oxtail?

I keep seeing chefs on tv cook with this cut of meat lately and as I love stews and meat and veg cooked in a slow cooker I thought I might try it.

Is it a very strong tasting meat?

Found this recipe I will try oxtail stew but wondered if anyone here had a recipe of their own.

Ox breath. Nice.
I AM AWESOME MAN
kayleneaussie

Ox-Tail

Post by kayleneaussie »

hubby does.....:D

Its yummy :D
FOC THREAD PART 1
mrsK

Ox-Tail

Post by mrsK »

My FIL used to love oxtail soup:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
qsducks

Ox-Tail

Post by qsducks »

Chezzie;1158234 wrote: Thanks Spot, I love meat on a bone and have my slow cooker. Seems to be popular at the moment and not as cheap as it used to be but I really want to try it. Neville a local butcher in the next town of Buckley is very reasonable so I shall go and chat him up in the morning:D

Hey you fellow crock pot lover...you might want to go online & get a good slow cooker cook book. They have loads of them. Amazon has some good finds and your local bookstore that has online selections should help. ;)
G-man

Ox-Tail

Post by G-man »

You'll love ox tail stew, Chezzie! I usually go with the more Caribbean flavors when I cook it... it's very traditional around there, especially in Jamaica and The Bahamas.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

qsducks

Ox-Tail

Post by qsducks »

G-man;1158597 wrote: You'll love ox tail stew, Chezzie! I usually go with the more Caribbean flavors when I cook it... it's very traditional around there, especially in Jamaica and The Bahamas.

First off, where have you been lately gman? And can you post this recipe in the kitchen section?

Return to “The Kitchen”