Knives, forks, spoons, glassware

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Lon

Post by Lon »

How formal are you with your average dinner (tea) meal?

How formal are you when you have guests over for a meal?

When is the last time you partook of a formal dinner?

Did you learn which fork and spoon to use when you were young?

Were you ever embarrased because you didn't know which to use?

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Lon;1120177 wrote: How formal are you with your average dinner (tea) meal?

We are British snobs in this house Lon. I was brought up with fully laid tables and cutlery etc and have never got out of the habit. Some-thing that drove me mad with my mother was every meal was put on the table with every seperate vegetable in a seperate dish which made washing up afterwards, a chore. I can't get out of the habit now my-self and just recently treated my-self to a new dinner service.

I like a nice white linen table cloth and all the condiments in their own little dishes and pots. We sit at the table for meals and i like to see a meal nicely presented.

There are days when i can't be arssed and eat on a tray on our laps in front of the TV but for visitors, it's always a fully laid table with napkins etc.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

At present, supper is the only formal meal, but that is subject to allowances for tv meals perhaps 10% of the time. Most guests are informal last minute invites to share whatever we're having and just pitch in with the rest of us.

Very occasionally I'll do a big formal dinner (eg Burns Night, Christmas Dinner) and bring out the crystal, but the effect is usually a bit spoiled by the variety of dinner plates and cutlery I end up having to use:wah:

I had the impression the Kiwis mostly ate visiting Rugby sides?;)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
weeder

Post by weeder »

Thanks to my mom, I grew up eating dinner on a beautiful table.

We didnt have money, but she definately had class.

Later on because of jobs I had, it was my good fortune to visit upscale restaurants. I knew how to conduct myself, at the table. Somewhere along the line I had read that if you are in a situation where you dont know what to do, watch others around you, to learn, and follow their lead.

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or tea.. I always eat from a beautiful plate. And I always drink from a lovely glass. I dont own an ugly glass.

I loathe paper plates, and styrofoam cups.

Eating at a formal table, is one of lifes small pleasures.

When I entertain, part of the enjoyment for me, is to set a beautiful table.

It doesnt have to cost much to do so.

Dishes dont even have to necessarily match. Cloth table cloths do not have to cost a fortune. I have found that guests are thrilled to sit at a beautifully

set table, and it effects the conversation, and the way that people conduct themselves.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Oscar Namechange

weeder;1120225 wrote: Thanks to my mom, I grew up eating dinner on a beautiful table.

We didnt have money, but she definately had class.

Later on because of jobs I had, it was my good fortune to visit upscale restaurants. I knew how to conduct myself, at the table. Somewhere along the line I had read that if you are in a situation where you dont know what to do, watch others around you, to learn, and follow their lead.

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or tea.. I always eat from a beautiful plate. And I always drink from a lovely glass. I dont own an ugly glass.

I loathe paper plates, and styrofoam cups.

Eating at a formal table, is one of lifes small pleasures.

When I entertain, part of the enjoyment for me, is to set a beautiful table.

It doesnt have to cost much to do so.

Dishes dont even have to necessarily match. Cloth table cloths do not have to cost a fortune. I have found that guests are thrilled to sit at a beautifully

set table, and it effects the conversation, and the way that people conduct themselves.
How wonderfull to read that there is folk like me. As a small child, i remember the importance of Dad coming home from work and us sitting down at the table for dinner. One by one, Dad would ask us what we had done that day. That is what is missing today. It's not just about sitting down to eat a meal, it's about a time put aside for familys to talk. It's where you learn manners. I think it's very sad to see a family eating at all different times of the day on trays infront of the TV all the time.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
weeder

Post by weeder »

Your right Oscar. Along with table tv tray eating, goes microwaveable food.

Preparing food is a wonderful thing. I grew up feeling that food is love. The preparation, the presentation, and as you said, a reason to sit, eat and socialize. Lives are so speeded up that the simplest rituals and pleasures have all but disappeared. Not for me though. I still cook, even if it is just for myself. I still get a thrill from the color of vegetables, the way a cake turns out, and the way food is presented on plates.

I started a thread a long time ago about how I was very color sensitive.

Was surprised to read that other people felt the same way.

I cannott eat off a black plate, or a plate that is overly ornate in the center.

I cannott drink from an opague glass, like cobalt blue.

Eating soup from one of those deep, brown, crock type bowls, makes me ill.

I like things to be crisp, clean, and my food visable.

Sounds crazy, doesnt it?
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I know how to use a fork, spoon and knife. I don't need the extra ones, and do not set a formal table ever. I just was given my first set of china, a hand me down from my mother-in-law, I do not think I will ever use it. Melmac is fine with me.

When a person eats so little at times, I feel why make a big fuss-it is over in 5-7 minutes? It is not like I have a normal eating situation, when I have to jump up and down all the time to make sure my husband is eating properly and having to turn his plate during dinner. (he cannot see the food unless the plate is turned so many times during the meal, he will just stop eating, since he cannot perceive it)

I think I am more embaressed because I cannot use chopsticks, no matter how hard I try, I cannot use them. That comes up much more often than a formal dinner setting.

Only soiree I went to, it was so boring I ended up playing with the musicians so I would be occupied. Formality is not my thing. I have never been to a professor shindig where it was formal, you dressed California casual, and have a great time. Even at the big conferences I avoid the large dinner meetings, and go for the smaller ones on other nights. It seems to work just fine for me.

I'm going to a very influential poetry meeting/meal this Saturday. It will not be formal, and much more is accomplished and good feelings flow with the nonformal arrangement. And thank goodness it is like that, or I would never be able to bring my husband along, or attend them.
Oscar Namechange

weeder;1120247 wrote: Your right Oscar. Along with table tv tray eating, goes microwaveable food.

Preparing food is a wonderful thing. I grew up feeling that food is love. The preparation, the presentation, and as you said, a reason to sit, eat and socialize. Lives are so speeded up that the simplest rituals and pleasures have all but disappeared. Not for me though. I still cook, even if it is just for myself. I still get a thrill from the color of vegetables, the way a cake turns out, and the way food is presented on plates.

I cannott eat off a black plate, or a plate that is overly ornate in the center.

Sounds crazy, doesnt it?

I'm not alone then??:wah:

I like plain white crockery.

Special drinks in a lead crystal glass but always clear glass.

Those deep brown crock type bowls are revolting, i agree and i'd never put my food in them.

All food should be clean and crisp.

Colour is very important in food... it's what makes it appetising and why i avoid tv dinners like the plague. They are so un-appetising.

I also like the correct equipment. I like my butter in a butter dish, cheese in a cheese dish, milk in a milk jug etc.

When you take the time to prepare a meal from scratch, it makes the meal more enjoyable.
weeder

Post by weeder »

Well what do you know? A kindred spiri!!!!:wah: How do you feel about plastic? Glasses, storage containers, etc..... I dont like them because they never feel clean. Those red plastic tumblers that they serve drinks in here... teeming with bacteria. Now you should know that I really am not anal or ocd. I can go to a cook out and eat a hot dog, on a napkin, along with everyone else. However, I avoid sloppy finger foods at all costs. I do not like sticky, salty, or messy fingers. There was a time when I carried my own chop sticks with me. I love eating with them. They are also good for dieting as youare very aware of everything that you put in your mouth, as opposed to seeing people who use forks like shovels.
Oscar Namechange

weeder;1120479 wrote: Well what do you know? A kindred spiri!!!!:wah: How do you feel about plastic? Glasses, storage containers, etc..... I dont like them because they never feel clean. Those red plastic tumblers that they serve drinks in here... teeming with bacteria. Now you should know that I really am not anal or ocd. I can go to a cook out and eat a hot dog, on a napkin, along with everyone else. However, I avoid sloppy finger foods at all costs. I do not like sticky, salty, or messy fingers. There was a time when I carried my own chop sticks with me. I love eating with them. They are also good for dieting as youare very aware of everything that you put in your mouth, as opposed to seeing people who use forks like shovels.

A kindred spirit indeed. :)

I hate plastic... absolutely hate it.... it cheapens food the moment you serve it up.

I'd rather store food in the fridge in a china bowl and cover with tin foil. We had a new faze here called Melamine. You can't cook with it so it's useless. It looks like a china dish but it's basically still plastic. Like most plastic, it stains very easily.

I hate the polystyrene cups you get in fast food outlets and plastic stirrers.

Like you, I like a hot dog but can't be doing with having my food all over my fingers.

Chopsticks are great for dieting. One of the most recognised ways to lose weight is to eat slowly. It fools the stomach into thinking it's had more and chopsticks are perfect. I love the finger bowls in chimese resturants for cleansing your fingers and the hot towels in Indian resturants. Wonderfull. :)
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Lon;1120177 wrote: How formal are you with your average dinner (tea) meal?

Our average dinner at home is usually forks/knives. I was taught to hold you fork correctly in your left hand & cut the meat with your right hand (depends if your a right hander or left hander so you do that vice versa) and then switch the fork to preferred hand and eat.

Formal with guests over? We always have kids over so that's usually finger foods or pizza.

Formal dinner - Weddings and yes I know which fork is for the main dish vs the salad, etc, plus the knives & spoons.

Learning forks & spoons - yes, my mom & dad were very strict at the table and if you messed up my dad would fork you in the arm. Thank gawd I never sat near him.:wah:

I have never been embarressed about which cutlery to use as we were all taught which was which. I'm always correcting my own children as well. And my big thing is to say to them "when you are older and eating out with a client or at a company dinner do not under any circumstances chew with your mouth open, burp at the table, etc. And you must always put that napkin in your lap. Little buggers!:wah:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1120529 wrote: A kindred spirit indeed. :)

I hate plastic... absolutely hate it.... it cheapens food the moment you serve it up.

I'd rather store food in the fridge in a china bowl and cover with tin foil. We had a new faze here called Melamine. You can't cook with it so it's useless. It looks like a china dish but it's basically still plastic. Like most plastic, it stains very easily.

Like you, I like a hot dog but can't be doing with having my food all over my fingers.

Chopsticks are great for dieting. One of the most recognised ways to lose weight is to eat slowly. It fools the stomach into thinking it's had more and chopsticks are perfect. I love the finger bowls in chimese resturants for cleansing your fingers and the hot towels in Indian resturants. Wonderfull. :)

I never use plastic plates..total waste and sits in the land dumps for thousands of years! So much easier using just plates. As for the cups, I use them occasionally for kid parties but we have to have a permanent marker & put their names on them especially with Quin's crowd who are always like "ew, yuck, I'm not drinking that":wah:
weeder

Post by weeder »

oscar;1120529 wrote: A kindred spirit indeed. :)

Well Well Well.... Nice to meet you. We would eat very well together:wah:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

weeder;1120606 wrote: Well Well Well.... Nice to meet you. We would eat very well together:wah:

I could also eat with you two but I do love my finger foods.:wah: Weeder, we are finally going to Ireland in June this year. We will be celebrating 2 birthdays over there. Very excited.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Clodhopper;1120213 wrote: At present, supper is the only formal meal, but that is subject to allowances for tv meals perhaps 10% of the time. Most guests are informal last minute invites to share whatever we're having and just pitch in with the rest of us.

Very occasionally I'll do a big formal dinner (eg Burns Night, Christmas Dinner) and bring out the crystal, but the effect is usually a bit spoiled by the variety of dinner plates and cutlery I end up having to use:wah:

I had the impression the Kiwis mostly ate visiting Rugby sides?;)

With most Kiwi's having English, Irish, Scottish roots, they tend to follow UK protocol. Depends on the occasion.
Lon

Post by Lon »

weeder;1120247 wrote: Your right Oscar. Along with table tv tray eating, goes microwaveable food.

Sounds crazy, doesnt it?

No not crazy at all, I agree. Part of the joy of eating is the presentation, and color of the food as well as the glasses, plates and bowls enhances the meal.
weeder

Post by weeder »

qsducks;1120612 wrote: I could also eat with you two but I do love my finger foods.:wah: Weeder, we are finally going to Ireland in June this year. We will be celebrating 2 birthdays over there. Very excited.

Lucky you... You know, I want to go to Ireland so badly..... also Scotland.

I can never go away in June ( work too busy) I always must wait until at least July 4. You will have a wonderful time.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Lon;1121151 wrote: No not crazy at all, I agree. Part of the joy of eating is the presentation, and color of the food as well as the glasses, plates and bowls enhances the meal.

Yes and tonight's presentation will be steak, mashed potatoes & asparagus on white plates. I need a new glass collection..will have to buy that over the weekend.
Oscar Namechange

weeder;1120606 wrote: Well Well Well.... Nice to meet you. We would eat very well together:wah:

We certainly could :)

I think it's wonderful to go out to a meal with friends and see they have gone to the trouble of laying a table with a lovely dinner service and nice glasses etc. It shows for one, that you value your guests and also shows that you have standards.

One of the Christmas presents i got for Mr O was a collection of small bottles. He does a lot of cooking and i had to order these direct from the manufacturer. Each one is filled with a concentrate. One is 'Cajun sauce' another 'sweet chilli' but they are so concentrated, you just need one spoonful.

I'm also fussy about my kitchen equipment and don't like to 'make do'. If we have stir fry, then it has to be done in the correct wok and not some old saucepan etc.

The joy of food is the preperation, the presentation. the colour and untimately, the taste. :-6:-6
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1121150 wrote: With most Kiwi's having English, Irish, Scottish roots, they tend to follow UK protocol. Depends on the occasion.

Unfortunately Lon, standards in this country have dived in the past 20 years. I know children that have never sat at a dinner table and the standard meal is some ropey old chicken nuggets and oven french frie's. It's got so bad that our government even launched a programme to get our kids eating healthily. Problem is, the parents don't care enouth to bother. I remember recently when i had a neighbours children in my home and the little boy's eyes lit up at the sight of the fruit bowl. That's very sad indeed.:mad:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I don't have a wok as my burners are square but I do use a very large pan that's nonstick.:wah:
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1121479 wrote: I don't have a wok as my burners are square but I do use a very large pan that's nonstick.:wah:

I have had a problem since getting a halogen cooker. Many of the woks and frying pans are not suited and do burn very quickly. Ideally, i would love an aga but the kitchen isn't big enough which is a shame.

Mr O has been pounding garlic and herbs today as we have some Italian bread that he covers in it with olives and onion. Oh yum :-6:-6
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1121481 wrote: I have had a problem since getting a halogen cooker. Many of the woks and frying pans are not suited and do burn very quickly. Ideally, i would love an aga but the kitchen isn't big enough which is a shame.

Mr O has been pounding garlic and herbs today as we have some Italian bread that he covers in it with olives and onion. Oh yum :-6:-6

Everyone is talking food on the threads today. I'm in the mood for Dorito chips...don't know why.
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1121483 wrote: Everyone is talking food on the threads today. I'm in the mood for Dorito chips...don't know why.

I fancy some deep fried brie and cranberry sauce.... I don't know why though :wah:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1121487 wrote: I fancy some deep fried brie and cranberry sauce.... I don't know why though :wah:

I love brie with crackers. I'm starving now.
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1121490 wrote: I love brie with crackers. I'm starving now.

I'm starving all the time :yh_rotfl

I should be the size of a house with what i eat. I try to run for an hour every day but i put 12lbs on over Christmas.

I was taken out by the british legion for a meal recently and we had a platter of shell fish:-4 The cutlery line up was amazing and thanks to my parents, i didn't look an idiot.

I did have to tell the Chairman to 'Get your elbows off the table' though :yh_rotfl
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1121478 wrote: Unfortunately Lon, standards in this country have dived in the past 20 years. I know children that have never sat at a dinner table and the standard meal is some ropey old chicken nuggets and oven french frie's. It's got so bad that our government even launched a programme to get our kids eating healthily. Problem is, the parents don't care enouth to bother. I remember recently when i had a neighbours children in my home and the little boy's eyes lit up at the sight of the fruit bowl. That's very sad indeed.:mad:

Dinner in this house always has a green vegetable included. No nuggets & I rarely (maybe once a year) do fast food. Everyone sits at the table. Besides veggies keep you regulated.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1121499 wrote: I'm starving all the time :yh_rotfl

I should be the size of a house with what i eat. I try to run for an hour every day but i put 12lbs on over Christmas.

I was taken out by the british legion for a meal recently and we had a platter of shell fish:-4 The cutlery line up was amazing and thanks to my parents, i didn't look an idiot.

I did have to tell the Chairman to 'Get your elbows off the table' though :yh_rotfl

That would garner a fork stab at my parents house:wah:
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1121503 wrote: That would garner a fork stab at my parents house:wah:

We didn't get a fork stab.... we got 'the glare' :wah:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1121627 wrote: We didn't get a fork stab.... we got 'the glare' :wah:

Only my older brother would get the fork stab...nobody else ate like him. He was quite gross in those days. He's much better now at the table:wah: I don't do it to my kids but they do get the "what to you say when you burp at the table routine".

Return to “The Kitchen”