In Defense of Home Fries

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

Just as I did with my dissertation on the much maligned fruit cake, I believe it is time to come to the defense of the home fried potato.

Is there any meal more enjoyable especially while traveling or on vacation than breakfast and can there be a proper American breakfast without home fires (grits being the occasional exception)? What can be more appetizing than a meal loaded with carbs, fat and cholesterol, there is a reason it tastes so good.

The problem arises in the misappropriation and identification of the home fry. In fact, I have come to realize that many restruantaurs do not know the difference between home fries and hash browns and use the term interchangeably. To make matters worse some of our illustrious fast food chains have further muddied the waters by calling a deep fried preformed oval patty or in some cases what amounts to a Tater Tot ®, hash browns. There is a further anomaly appearing at restaurants run by lazy cooks, which is the dreaded pre cut frozen square piece of potato that is deep fried and then called home fries. Oh the shame. I won’t even gloss over the (relatively) few establishments that serve French fries with their omelets.

Now, for the proper home fries you need red potatoes, onion, salt and pepper, perhaps a little paprika, and if so inclined, some green and red pepper (although in some quarters that makes them O’Brien potatoes), plus butter and oil. Par boil the spuds, slice them fairly thick then simply fry everything in a skillet. The objective is to create crispy pieces of stuff, but not to harden the potatoes and not to burn the onions or peppers.

For hash browns you simply shred potatoes (watch your fingers), dry them a bit, mix in a little onion if you like, but not typical. Take the shredded potatoes and place them in a skillet and fry on both sides trying to only turn them once so both sides are crispy and the patty holds together.

Whatever your preference, home fries or hash browns, enjoy, but by all means shun the Tater Tots ® and decry the frozen imitators. Lest you have your breakfast ruined I have found that it always pays to ask for a definition of home fries from the establishment before ordering.

"When you say home fries, what do you mean?" "You know, they are shredded potatoes that are fried."

"You mean hash browns, right?" "No hash browns are at McDonalds."

I’m outta here!
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
Lon

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by Lon »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;1042981 wrote: Just as I did with my dissertation on the much maligned fruit cake, I believe it is time to come to the defense of the home fried potato.

Is there any meal more enjoyable especially while traveling or on vacation than breakfast and can there be a proper American breakfast without home fires (grits being the occasional exception)? What can be more appetizing than a meal loaded with carbs, fat and cholesterol, there is a reason it tastes so good.

The problem arises in the misappropriation and identification of the home fry. In fact, I have come to realize that many restruantaurs do not know the difference between home fries and hash browns and use the term interchangeably. To make matters worse some of our illustrious fast food chains have further muddied the waters by calling a deep fried preformed oval patty or in some cases what amounts to a Tater Tot ®, hash browns. There is a further anomaly appearing at restaurants run by lazy cooks, which is the dreaded pre cut frozen square piece of potato that is deep fried and then called home fries. Oh the shame. I won’t even gloss over the (relatively) few establishments that serve French fries with their omelets.

Now, for the proper home fries you need red potatoes, onion, salt and pepper, perhaps a little paprika, and if so inclined, some green and red pepper (although in some quarters that makes them O’Brien potatoes), plus butter and oil. Par boil the spuds, slice them fairly thick then simply fry everything in a skillet. The objective is to create crispy pieces of stuff, but not to harden the potatoes and not to burn the onions or peppers.

For hash browns you simply shred potatoes (watch your fingers), dry them a bit, mix in a little onion if you like, but not typical. Take the shredded potatoes and place them in a skillet and fry on both sides trying to only turn them once so both sides are crispy and the patty holds together.

Whatever your preference, home fries or hash browns, enjoy, but by all means shun the Tater Tots ® and decry the frozen imitators. Lest you have your breakfast ruined I have found that it always pays to ask for a definition of home fries from the establishment before ordering.

"When you say home fries, what do you mean?" "You know, they are shredded potatoes that are fried."

"You mean hash browns, right?" "No hash browns are at McDonalds."

I’m outta here!

It must be our ages that we agree so much, but you are right on about Home Fries. They need no defense. Their taste and quality speak wonders.

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals and the one that I do not have VEGGIES with. My favorite is three eggs over easy (they don't know this one in NZ), six pieces of real crispy bacon (no limp stuff please), home fries, two hot cakes with maple syrup, orange juice and coffee.
chonsigirl

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow Lon, a man sized breakfast! Go Michael Phelps!

I have one wheat free waffle with p-nut butter, and that last me until lunch......
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

In Defense of Home Fries

Lon;1043057 wrote: It must be our ages that we agree so much, but you are right on about Home Fries. They need no defense. Their taste and quality speak wonders.

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals and the one that I do not have VEGGIES with. My favorite is three eggs over easy (they don't know this one in NZ), six pieces of real crispy bacon (no limp stuff please), home fries, two hot cakes with maple syrup, orange juice and coffee.

Sounds good to me, but I would substitute Taylor Ham (if you are not from the Northeast you probably don't know what that is) for the bacon.

I can't get used to European breakfast with hard boiled eggs, cold cuts, and rolls.

And as for the agreeing part, that is just a reflection of our hard earned wisdom through experience.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
Odie

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by Odie »

In Canada, we say 'home fried potatoes'........ nothing to do with crap from Mc's or any bits of anything else.:sneaky:

They are real potatoes, sliced and fried, awesome they are with bacon & eggs, and they're real!:D
Life is just to short for drama.
sunny104

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by sunny104 »

I love home fries. In the south there is no confusion. If you order home fries you get the real thing. :yh_drool :D
gmc

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by gmc »

I've a;ways wondered. What are grits?
qsducks

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by qsducks »

Lon;1043057 wrote: It must be our ages that we agree so much, but you are right on about Home Fries. They need no defense. Their taste and quality speak wonders.

2 eggs over easy, white toast, bacon, home fries made from real red bliss potatoes and scrapple. And I always save part of my toast to put mixed berry jam on. OJ & coffee are a must.
YZGI

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by YZGI »

gmc;1044089 wrote: I've a;ways wondered. What are grits?
Another form of polenta
Milly

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by Milly »

We call 'em chips here.... Nothing like homemade chips YUM!
Click here to read FOC thread part 1

gmc

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by gmc »

YZGI;1044212 wrote: Another form of polenta

What's polenta?

posted by milly

We call 'em chips here.... Nothing like homemade chips YUM!

Are you a tomato sauce or nippy brown sauce type of person?

Home fries, hash browns, tator tots, wheat free waffles, eggs over easy, red bliss potatoes. Do americans eat any normal food?
Milly

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by Milly »

gmc;1044268 wrote: Are you a tomato sauce or nippy brown sauce type of person?

Neither... I'm a maynonaise girl! :D

gmc

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by gmc »

Milly;1044271 wrote: Neither... I'm a maynonaise girl! :D

This is making my mouth water. I feel like rebelling against healthy eating and nipping out for a black pudding supper.:thinking:
YZGI

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by YZGI »

gmc;1044268 wrote: What's polenta?

posted by milly

Corn meal mush basically
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

In Defense of Home Fries

Milly;1044247 wrote: We call 'em chips here.... Nothing like homemade chips YUM!

I thought chips were french fries.

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
Milly

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by Milly »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;1044294 wrote: I thought chips were french fries.

French fries are skinny chips, we call those french fries here too....

Chips are chunky cut....:-4

QUINNSCOMMENTARY

In Defense of Home Fries

gmc;1044268 wrote: What's polenta?

posted by milly

Home fries, hash browns, tator tots, wheat free waffles, eggs over easy, red bliss potatoes. Do americans eat any normal food?

Grits is an American Indian corn-based food common in the Southern United States, consisting of coarsely ground corn. It is traditionally served during breakfast.

Grits are similar to other thick maize-based porridges from around the world such as polenta. It also has a lesser resemblance to farina, a thinner porridge. Another Maize/Corn based type porridge can be found in New Zealand which is a dish called Kangapiro eaten mostly by the Maori people.

Hominy grits is grits made from nixtamalized corn, or hominy. It is sometimes called sofkee or sofkey from the Creek word

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

In Defense of Home Fries

qsducks;1044098 wrote: 2 eggs over easy, white toast, bacon, home fries made from real red bliss potatoes and scrapple. And I always save part of my toast to put mixed berry jam on. OJ & coffee are a must.

You are only the second person I know who eats scrapple, the first was my father. Better tell folks what scrapple is.

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

In Defense of Home Fries

Milly;1044300 wrote: French fries are skinny chips, we call those french fries here too....

So, it sounds like what we call steak fries (thick french fries).

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
sunny104

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by sunny104 »

home fries are different than chips/french fries.
sunny104

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by sunny104 »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;1044312 wrote: Grits is an American Indian corn-based food common in the Southern United States, consisting of coarsely ground corn. It is traditionally served during breakfast.

Grits are similar to other thick maize-based porridges from around the world such as polenta. It also has a lesser resemblance to farina, a thinner porridge. Another Maize/Corn based type porridge can be found in New Zealand which is a dish called Kangapiro eaten mostly by the Maori people.

Hominy grits is grits made from nixtamalized corn, or hominy. It is sometimes called sofkee or sofkey from the Creek word

I love grits! :yh_drool
qsducks

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by qsducks »

Milly;1044300 wrote: French fries are skinny chips, we call those french fries here too....

Boardwalk fries. chunky cut fries dipped in ketchup. Watch out for seagulls!:-3
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

In Defense of Home Fries

gmc;1044288 wrote: This is making my mouth water. I feel like rebelling against healthy eating and nipping out for a black pudding supper.:thinking:

Better tell folks what Black Pudding is, personally I love white pudding but have not been able to get past the black pudding ingredient, not that you find either much in the US but there are a few places that serve the traditional Irish breakfast.

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
gmc

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by gmc »

sunny104;1045137 wrote: I love grits! :yh_drool

That looks like something the cat threw up.

posted by quinns commentary

Better tell folks what Black Pudding is, personally I love white pudding but have not been able to get past the black pudding ingredient, not that you find either much in the US but there are a few places that serve the traditional Irish breakfast.

Nah. let them try it first and then tell them.
Milly

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by Milly »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;1044316 wrote: So, it sounds like what we call steak fries (thick french fries).

Yup!.. thems the ones! :D

sunny104;1045135 wrote: home fries are different than chips/french fries.

They are?...

Our home made chips are made by cutting potatoes into chunky chips or steak fries, par boil 'em then fry 'em..... I thought they were the same from reading the thread? :-3

qsducks;1045142 wrote: Boardwalk fries. chunky cut fries dipped in ketchup. Watch out for seagulls!:-3

hahaha.... I ain't sharing my chips with no-one!... not even a seagull! :wah:

QUINNSCOMMENTARY

In Defense of Home Fries

gmc;1045235 wrote: That looks like something the cat threw up.

posted by quinns commentary

Nah. let them try it first and then tell them.

What about Haggis, do we dare go there?

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
guppy

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by guppy »

I love homefries..and i love grits..the other day i was in a restraunt and another customer ordered the breakfast speacial..he was later heard asking what the hell the white stuff on his plate was..you could hear the term "yankee" and the rolling of eyes going around the restraunt..:wah::wah::wah:
gmc

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by gmc »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;1045612 wrote: What about Haggis, do we dare go there?

From the nation of culinary philistines that gave us the big mac I can safely say you do not have the trained palate necessary to appreciate it. :sneaky:
sunny104

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by sunny104 »

Milly;1045403 wrote:

They are?...

Our home made chips are made by cutting potatoes into chunky chips or steak fries, par boil 'em then fry 'em..... I thought they were the same from reading the thread? :-3

I know it sounds confusing. :o Home fries are potatoes that are cut into small squares and fried with onions and peppers and seasinings. It's a typical side dish at breakfast. :-6

sunny104

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by sunny104 »

gmc;1045235 wrote: That looks like something the cat threw up.

you can try some when you visit. :p It tastes better than black puddings anyway...:p :D
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

In Defense of Home Fries

gmc;1046315 wrote: From the nation of culinary philistines that gave us the big mac I can safely say you do not have the trained palate necessary to appreciate it. :sneaky:

Yes I know I tried once, but I have to give it to you on the Scotch egg.

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
YZGI

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by YZGI »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;1047132 wrote: Yes I know I tried once, but I have to give it to you on the Scotch egg.
Mmm love those scotch eggs.
qsducks

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by qsducks »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;1044314 wrote: You are only the second person I know who eats scrapple, the first was my father. Better tell folks what scrapple is.

Don't you like scrapple Quinn? Scrapple is everything but the oink:wah:
sunny104

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by sunny104 »

qsducks;1053889 wrote: Don't you like scrapple Quinn? Scrapple is everything but the oink:wah:

like head cheese?? :D
qsducks

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by qsducks »

sunny104;1053898 wrote: like head cheese?? :D

That's how we describe scrapple in Philly to people don't live on the east coast:wah:
Nomad

In Defense of Home Fries

Post by Nomad »

Why on Earth would you feel a necessity to defend the home fry ?

The fry stands on its own merits, its one of the few things in life you can always count on to consistently satisfy.

Unless of course its been under cooked but thats not the frys fault.

The home fry needs no defending unless you want to argue about shape. I love a seasond jo jo but the cottage fry possesses a significance beyond explanation.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “The Kitchen”