Are your hands good utensils for preparing food?

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

When I have the time during the summer months and holidays, I love to cook for my friends and rellys. I watch the 'Food Network" shows for new ideas.

So many of the chefs on these shows say that their hands are the best utensil that you can use. Then you see them shoving their hands in the food, jewelry and all, stirring all the ingredients together.

This makes me barf :thinking:. Even if you wash your hands, you still have germs and skin cells mixed in with the food.

If I'm cooking for company, I make sure my hands don't touch the food unless I use utensils or have gloves on.

I do eat out a lot and try not to even think about whose hands were in my food, otherwise I would never eat anything.

What do you think about people putting their hands into your food instead of utensils?
Lon

Post by Lon »

Kathy Ellen;1041129 wrote: When I have the time during the summer months and holidays, I love to cook for my friends and rellys. I watch the 'Food Network" shows for new ideas.

So many of the chefs on these shows say that their hands are the best utensil that you can use. Then you see them shoving their hands in the food, jewelry and all, stirring all the ingredients together.

This makes me barf :thinking:. Even if you wash your hands, you still have germs and skin cells mixed in with the food.

If I'm cooking for company, I make sure my hands don't touch the food unless I use utensils or have gloves on.

I do eat out a lot and try not to even think about whose hands were in my food, otherwise I would never eat anything.

What do you think about people putting their hands into your food instead of utensils?

When I make a big meatloaf I will always mix the ingredients by hand, I do take off rings and watch and use sanitize wash. Some things just mex better by hand.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Lon;1041185 wrote: When I make a big meatloaf I will always mix the ingredients by hand, I do take off rings and watch and use sanitize wash. Some things just mex better by hand.

I do the same as you Lon...always have sanitize wash on my bench and meat loaf has to be done by hand:D
FOC THREAD PART 1
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Lon;1041185 wrote: When I make a big meatloaf I will always mix the ingredients by hand, I do take off rings and watch and use sanitize wash. Some things just mex better by hand.

Thanks for your thoughts Lon. When I cook for myself I just try to be careful with cleanliness so I don't get sick.

Should we who cook at home for family and company, and chefs who cook in restaurants cook with their bare hands? Many people cook while wearing all sorts of jewelry that touch your food....plus I know some chefs that could give a s$it about where their hands were last.

****just an aside...I'm not really talking about most parents who cook for their family. I feel that you're careful;). I'm more concerned about cooking for company and cooking for restaurant patrons...
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

kayleneaussie;1041197 wrote: I do the same as you Lon...always have sanitize wash on my bench and meat loaf has to be done by hand:D

Hi Sweetie Kay... Does it bother you that a chef in a restaurant uses their hands to mix your food?
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

fuzzy butt;1041277 wrote: I cook with my hands and my eldest boy cooked for people when he was doing a chefs apprenticeship . the storys would boggle your mind (and this was an upmarket restaurant.) His grandfather was a five star chef and I learnt much about the industry a long time ago.

No I have no problem with people not washing their hands in restaurants.

I don't sanitise benches or use hand sanitiser myself. I wash my hands under water that's it period!!! And no one has ever gotten sick in my household. I've been cooking for others for twenty four years . No one has ever come down sick .

And anyway bugs are good for you ....you don't want to end up with a weak or sick immune system.:)

Thanks for your input Mags...:-6

I'm just trying to understand why I get sick sometimes after eating in certain homes and restaurants....It's just g*d awful when you're punking your brains out after eating certain foods....dunno:confused:

Mags....You and Anthony Bourdain must be twins:wah::wah::wah:
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I like you fuzzy butt.

I honestly believe that many of todays illnesses are caused because we are too darned clean.

I am not talking about bad hygene practices, such as not washing hands after visiting the toilet (bathroom,lavatory), or chopping salad stuff on an unwashed board where uncooked poultry has been cut up.

If a few kids were allowed to graze their knees, ingest other than sanitized whatever.....funnily enough.....the world would be a healthier place.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I always remove all my rings before making meatloaf and then use my elbow to turn on the faucet to hot and wash my hands.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bruv;1041294 wrote: I like you fuzzy butt.

I honestly believe that many of todays illnesses are caused because we are too darned clean.

I am not talking about bad hygene practices, such as not washing hands after visiting the toilet (bathroom,lavatory), or chopping salad stuff on an unwashed board where uncooked poultry has been cut up.

If a few kids were allowed to graze their knees, ingest other than sanitized whatever.....funnily enough.....the world would be a healthier place.

Hello Bruv :-6

Sorry, don't think I've ever said hello to you...Welcome to the garden:-6

I honestly agree with you, but I just wish that people would care more about their hygiene when interacting with other.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Kathy Ellen;1041335 wrote: Hello Bruv :-6

Sorry, don't think I've ever said hello to you...Welcome to the garden:-6

I honestly agree with you, but I just wish that people would care more about their hygiene when interacting with other.

You would know working with kids all day KE. Maybe you should start wearing gloves to work:wah:
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

Kathy Ellen;1041129 wrote: When I have the time during the summer months and holidays, I love to cook for my friends and rellys. I watch the 'Food Network" shows for new ideas.

Blech!!!!! I cant stand those cooking shows where the chef touches the food. It's discusting. One other thing I can't stand is wood cutting boards. OMG. All those nooks and crannies. You can't really get that clean. And to use it over and over .....no....
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

wildhorses;1041343 wrote: Blech!!!!! I cant stand those cooking shows where the chef touches the food. It's discusting. One other thing I can't stand is wood cutting boards. OMG. All those nooks and crannies. You can't really get that clean. And to use it over and over .....no....

I put mine in the dishwasher after every use. I think I need a new one. But than again, the plastic ones are even grosser.:lips:
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

qsducks;1041346 wrote: I put mine in the dishwasher after every use. I think I need a new one. But than again, the plastic ones are even grosser.:lips:

As long as you think you need a new one, why don't you try stainless steel? They cost slightly more, but last forever. The plastic ones get "cuts" in them. Not too appetizing. Who wants plastic chips in their food. They are cheap, but ....plastic. I like my stainless steel cutting board. It is easy to clean between types of food. And it gets no cuts from the knives. It sounds like it would be heavy, but it's really not. It's not heavier than wood.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

wildhorses;1041377 wrote: As long as you think you need a new one, why don't you try stainless steel? They cost slightly more, but last forever. The plastic ones get "cuts" in them. Not too appetizing. Who wants plastic chips in their food. They are cheap, but ....plastic. I like my stainless steel cutting board. It is easy to clean between types of food. And it gets no cuts from the knives. It sounds like it would be heavy, but it's really not. It's not heavier than wood.

Wow really? Where would I look online to get one of those? And thankyou. I know the wooden ones are better than plastic (which I agree with you there, gross). I've got kids, etc. and don't even own a microwave.:wah:
Lon

Post by Lon »

I use a unbreakable glass cutting board.
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

qsducks;1041379 wrote: Wow really? Where would I look online to get one of those? And thankyou. I know the wooden ones are better than plastic (which I agree with you there, gross). I've got kids, etc. and don't even own a microwave.:wah:

I think I got mine a few years ago at cooking.com. There are other sites I am sure. Or it could have been cooks.com. I shop at both of them.
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

Lon;1041393 wrote: I use a unbreakable glass cutting board.

Yes those tempered glass boards are great too. But actually are they really totally unbreakable...because the last one I had did end up breaking. Maybe there is another kind less breakable or completely unbreakable? If you know...let me know, because I really liked the glass one I had. Of course I am very clumsy and dropped it quite a few times before it finally broke. So the next one I decided to get something indestructible.

Return to “The Kitchen”