Has anyone ever?

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Chezzie

Has anyone ever?

Post by Chezzie »

Cooked a whole chicken in the slow cooker (crock pot)???

I bought a chicken which is quite big, only bought it cos it was half price. Dont want to roast it incase its like Carol ( a tuff old bird:wah:).

I was thinking of shoving it in the crock pot, what you reckon?
el guapo

Has anyone ever?

Post by el guapo »

jimbo;1012655 wrote: yes

now thats funny:wah:
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
Carolly

Has anyone ever?

Post by Carolly »

Chezzie;1012515 wrote: Cooked a whole chicken in the slow cooker (crock pot)???

I bought a chicken which is quite big, only bought it cos it was half price. Dont want to roast it incase its like Carol ( a tuff old bird:wah:).

I was thinking of shoving it in the crock pot, what you reckon?
I shall ignore your very UNTRUE remark:rolleyes: and say yes I do it often....carrots...onions....celery chicken stock...even some part boiled new pots if enough room.........'andsome;):-4
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Carolly

Has anyone ever?

Post by Carolly »

jimbo;1012662 wrote: yes you called:):)Another very untrue remark Winks in your case:rolleyes::D:p
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Chezzie

Has anyone ever?

Post by Chezzie »

cheers carolly oh young princess of the east end:D
Carolly

Has anyone ever?

Post by Carolly »

Chezzie;1012688 wrote: cheers carolly oh young princess of the east end:D
Sarcy so and so:p:wah:;)
Chezzie

Has anyone ever?

Post by Chezzie »

Carolly;1012692 wrote: Sarcy so and so:p:wah:;)

reason I asked was, I wondered if the skin went gooey and the chicken ended up boiled which i wouldnt like:D
Carolly

Has anyone ever?

Post by Carolly »

Oh and Tarragan for future reference...a must when cooking Chicken......I buy it in a jar....use about a teaspoon;)
Carolly

Has anyone ever?

Post by Carolly »

Chezzie;1012695 wrote: reason I asked was, I wondered if the skin went gooey and the chicken ended up boiled which i wouldnt like:DYou can take the skin off mate before you put it in the cooker....its better cause the skin isnt very nice plus the flavours go through the chicken also alot better;)Dont forget yer pepper if you use it...the salt will be in the chicken stock/water mixed with oxo cubes(2) will be fine;)
Carolly

Has anyone ever?

Post by Carolly »

jimbo;1012698 wrote: sorry i thought you said beast end :wah::wah:This is woman talk schhh:rolleyes::punless you have your dress again on today of course:D:rolleyes:
Cow Patty

Has anyone ever?

Post by Cow Patty »

I do this all the time!!!

I wash and dry my chicken, rub with butter, salt and pepper it. Stuff the cavity with celery and carrots.

No need to add broth, the butter and fat from the skin will keep it plenty moist. The meat will fall off the bone.

Cook for 6-8 hours on low depending the size of the chicken.

I use the meat for several days after cooking for soups, casseroles, etc. Freezes good also.
Chezzie

Has anyone ever?

Post by Chezzie »

Cow Patty;1012835 wrote: I do this all the time!!!

I wash and dry my chicken, rub with butter, salt and pepper it. Stuff the cavity with celery and carrots.

No need to add broth, the butter and fat from the skin will keep it plenty moist. The meat will fall off the bone.

Cook for 6-8 hours on low depending the size of the chicken.

I use the meat for several days after cooking for soups, casseroles, etc. Freezes good also.

Excellent CP, thats more or less how I planned to do it too.Thanks. I shall report back on how much I enjoyed it:D
abbey

Has anyone ever?

Post by abbey »

I cooked mums chuck in the slow cooker Sunday and it was lovely ,

I have made chicken broth for her meal tomorrow, in the slow cooker from the remains.

Throwing it in the pot takes the bother out of roasting.
Carolly

Has anyone ever?

Post by Carolly »

What it boils down to is if you want fat added or not and also want to make some soup from it.....I always do it as I said as you get a first course and a second all made in the same pot.....and is basically Jewish chicken soup which is to die for;):D
Chezzie

Has anyone ever?

Post by Chezzie »

abbey;1012848 wrote: I cooked mums chuck in the slow cooker Sunday and it was lovely ,

I have made chicken broth for her meal tomorrow, in the slow cooker from the remains.

Throwing it in the pot takes the bother out of roasting.

great stuff. Its a big chicken and I hate tough meat and I love my slow cooker, so its perfect:D
Patsy Warnick

Has anyone ever?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I use the crock pot as often as possible, great devise..

Any one have a Rotisserie Oven ? - TV Showtime Oven set it & forget it?

That's where my chickens go.

I keep the Oven outside. didn't think I'd like it - I love it

Patsy
along-for-the-ride

Has anyone ever?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Hhmmmmmm, I may have to try that sometime. I have a slow cooker..............just have to find the chicken. ;)

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “The Kitchen”