Need Chicken Salad Recipe

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I need to make some chicken salad sandwich filling for my dad. There's a ton of recipes out there and I have no idea which to use for basic chicken salad.

The kind I used to eat as a kid was made with canned white chicken breast, mayo, and celery. But i recall it being a shade sweet. I don't know if my Mom used mayo or Miracle Whip. What would make it sweet?

Anyone have just a simple recipe for this?

Do I need onions too?

Thank you. :)
Odie

Post by Odie »

RedGlitter;1009577 wrote: I need to make some chicken salad sandwich filling for my dad. There's a ton of recipes out there and I have no idea which to use for basic chicken salad.

The kind I used to eat as a kid was made with canned white chicken breast, mayo, and celery. But i recall it being a shade sweet. I don't know if my Mom used mayo or Miracle Whip. What would make it sweet?

Do I need onions too?

I use Kraft Miracle Whip and do exactly the same as your mom, accept I use real chicken pieces...........the tinned is fine also.

I never add onions in chicken salad, only in egg salad and tuna salad..........but you can.

the celery is good, adds a crunch.
Life is just to short for drama.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;1009577 wrote: I need to make some chicken salad sandwich filling for my dad. There's a ton of recipes out there and I have no idea which to use for basic chicken salad.

Do I need onions too?

I use chicken breast, cucumber, tomato and iceberg lettuce - I wouldn't use mayo or onion as they wouldn't go with the chicken.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

mayo is the too sweet one IMO.:thinking:

I like pickles and tomatoes in it too....:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Red,

This is the recipe that I always use...turns out nice and yummy:-6

CHICKEN SALAD:

Ingredients:

3 cups diced cooked chicken

1/4 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup diced celery

2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion

1/2 cup diced apple

1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans,

4 to 6 tablespoons mayonnaise

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1/8 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste, optional

1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Romaine lettuce leaves

Preparation:

Combine the chicken, cranberries, celery, onion, apple, and walnuts, if using.

In a cup or small bowl combine 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise. the lemon juice, curry powder, if using, and salt and pepper. Stir into the chicken, adding more mayonnaise as needed and for taste. Line bread or rolls with lettuce and spread chicken salad on the bread or serve the chicken salad on lettuce-lined plates.

Serves 4.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Do I need onions too?

First you start with a chicken and then------------------------
Odie

Post by Odie »

lon;1009721 wrote: first You Start With A Chicken And Then------------------------

Life is just to short for drama.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

[QUOTE=Bryn Mawr;1009657]I use chicken breast, cucumber, tomato and iceberg lettuce - I wouldn't use mayo or onion as they wouldn't go with the chicken.[/QUOTE]

it's very yummy, you should try it. :) You're thinking of an actual salad. This is more like a tuna sandwich, small amounts of meat mixed with mayo and other ingredients and eaten as a sandwich. :-6

now I'm hungry! :o :D
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you!

I see everyone's got their own tricks for chicken salad...I will have to try all of them!
Lisamree

Post by Lisamree »

I use chicken, miracle whip, red or green grape halves, diced green apples, and toasted pecans. Spread on a half of a toasted bagel!

My mouth is watering
Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence.

Elihu Burritt
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

sunny104;1010133 wrote: [quote=Bryn Mawr]I use chicken breast, cucumber, tomato and iceberg lettuce - I wouldn't use mayo or onion as they wouldn't go with the chicken.

it's very yummy, you should try it. :) You're thinking of an actual salad. This is more like a tuna sandwich, small amounts of meat mixed with mayo and other ingredients and eaten as a sandwich. :-6

now I'm hungry! :o :D

To be honest I was thinking sarnie - I sarnify everything.

I'm not a fan of mayo or salad cream or dressing, as it comes is the order of the day.

Return to “The Kitchen”