Cooking Preferences...

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
K.Snyder

Cooking Preferences...

Post by K.Snyder »

before I've usually thought that what makes a good meal is the ingredients...I'm not exactly sure I hold that same opinion anymore...At least not to the extent that I've once held...

I'd usually based the entire art of cooking off of the ingredients but now I'm much more convinced that in how you cook food is just as important as the ingredients...By "how" I mean to great detail...Obviously if you threw a piece of chicken in the oven and cooked it until it were steaming out of every geyser you've made prevalent wouldn't taste as delicious as you'd hoped it would...

So I ask...

What are some cooking preferences of yours and do you have any weird ways of cooking that you might like someone else to try?...

Feel free to talk about how you cook in general as well...Would love to hear your ideas...

And one can never get enough discussion about food!!!...

:yh_bigsmi...
qsducks

Cooking Preferences...

Post by qsducks »

Grill, crockpot, oven, broiler, frying, sauteeing and anything really except the microwave. Finally threw that thing out last year. Adios, piece of crap.:wah:
K.Snyder

Cooking Preferences...

Post by K.Snyder »

qsducks;972748 wrote: Grill, crockpot, oven, broiler, frying, sauteeing and anything really except the microwave. Finally threw that thing out last year. Adios, piece of crap.:wah:

I hate the microwave to an extent...

Very convenient though for leftover soups and things without as much diverse texture...

We all know microwaves heat one area of a food only to leave the other area not even lukewarm(wow) but still cold!!!...:-5...

God!!! I hate that!!!...
RedGlitter

Cooking Preferences...

Post by RedGlitter »

I use a long handled wooden spoon for most things. There's something about the wood being of the earth and the food being the same that I think it just seems right. (weird I know) It must be long handled too, the longer the better. And I *always* use it to stir my chili and soups. It wouldn'ttaste as good if I didn't. ;)

I own a "kitchen witch" doll, the one you hang from the ceiling and I have a little green stone elephant tucked in my spice rack for luck.
K.Snyder

Cooking Preferences...

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;972780 wrote: I use a long handled wooden spoon for most things. There's something about the wood being of the earth and the food being the same that I think it just seems right. (weird I know) It must be long handled too, the longer the better. And I *always* use it to stir my chili and soups. It wouldn'ttaste as good if I didn't. ;)

I own a "kitchen witch" doll, the one you hang from the ceiling and I have a little green stone elephant tucked in my spice rack for luck.

Ok not that weird!!!...:yh_rotfl...

Only joking...
RedGlitter

Cooking Preferences...

Post by RedGlitter »

HEY!! :wah:
Lon

Cooking Preferences...

Post by Lon »

K.Snyder;972744 wrote: before I've usually thought that what makes a good meal is the ingredients...I'm not exactly sure I hold that same opinion anymore...At least not to the extent that I've once held...

I'd usually based the entire art of cooking off of the ingredients but now I'm much more convinced that in how you cook food is just as important as the ingredients...By "how" I mean to great detail...Obviously if you threw a piece of chicken in the oven and cooked it until it were steaming out of every geyser you've made prevalent wouldn't taste as delicious as you'd hoped it would...

So I ask...

What are some cooking preferences of yours and do you have any weird ways of cooking that you might like someone else to try?...

Feel free to talk about how you cook in general as well...Would love to hear your ideas...

And one can never get enough discussion about food!!!...

:yh_bigsmi...

I hate long drawn out cooking preparation that involves more than 20 minutes of getting it all together and then it's all consumed in less than 15 minutes.

I freeze my homemade spaghetti sauce so that it can be unfrozen, microwaved and a great spaghetti dinner can be had in short order with salad, french bread and wine.

I go on the web to find nutritional meals that can be assembled quickly. I cook for just two us and will prepare a number of things in advance that can be heated up or microwaved. Having leftovers is always nice and then having them two days later. We both enjoy stir fry and that is something that can be done quickly and is very good nutritionally speaking. Sliced chicken breasts, pork or beef.
Odie

Cooking Preferences...

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;972762 wrote: I hate the microwave to an extent...

Very convenient though for leftover soups and things without as much diverse texture...

We all know microwaves heat one area of a food only to leave the other area not even look warm but still cold!!!...:-5...

God!!! I hate that!!!...

I find it quick and convenient..........especially for my ever so needly quick coffee in the morning!:wah:
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks

Cooking Preferences...

Post by qsducks »

End of the world here........my toaster oven died tonight.:mad:
Odie

Cooking Preferences...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;973237 wrote: End of the world here........my toaster oven died tonight.:mad:

did you give it CPR?:wah:
Lon

Cooking Preferences...

Post by Lon »

Odie;973234 wrote: I find it quick and convenient..........especially for my ever so needly quick coffee in the morning!:wah:

You need a new or different kind of microwave. I use it mainly for re-heating but it does an excellent job with chicken and fish and cooks it through and through. I also use it for white long grained rice done in a rice cooker, fresh green beans, peas and corn, peppers and sweet potatoes.
sunny104

Cooking Preferences...

Post by sunny104 »

that's so true K. Like with grilling for instance, you get so much flavor that you really don't need to add anything. :yh_drool

one thing I do because I like to make things as fast and simple as possible :o is I like to oven "fry" just about everything you would fry the normal way. Just throw some seasonings and oil on it and stick it in the oven! :D :-6
sunny104

Cooking Preferences...

Post by sunny104 »

oh and this: http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/produc ... &cat_id=22 is what I told hubby I want for Christmas! :D
Peg

Cooking Preferences...

Post by Peg »

If my microwave died today, I'd go out and buy another one--today. I don't use it to cook, but love it to heat up leftover soup, frozen spaghetti sauce, etc. On those rare occassions when I have spare time, I like to make things like cabbage rolls and chili and freeze them. When I am limited on time, a quick, easy meal is just the freezer away. :wah:
qsducks

Cooking Preferences...

Post by qsducks »

sunny104;973530 wrote: oh and this: http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/produc ... &cat_id=22 is what I told hubby I want for Christmas! :D

Cuisinart's answser to the George Foreman grill:p
CARLA

Cooking Preferences...

Post by CARLA »

My cooking preference is to have someone else do the cooking. :p
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

qsducks

Cooking Preferences...

Post by qsducks »

CARLA;973587 wrote: My cooking preference is to have someone else do the cooking. :p

Did you just call for pizza delivery?
Sheryl

Cooking Preferences...

Post by Sheryl »

I have to have my crock pot and microwave. I cook with bamboo utensils, and season things.

My mother n law does not season her food, and it's so blah! Her fried squash tastes like styrofoam coated in cornmeal.

The fresher the better. I've gotten to where I don't buy much canned goods. It's either fresh or frozen.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
qsducks

Cooking Preferences...

Post by qsducks »

Sheryl;973842 wrote: I have to have my crock pot and microwave. I cook with bamboo utensils, and season things.

My mother n law does not season her food, and it's so blah! Her fried squash tastes like styrofoam coated in cornmeal.

The fresher the better. I've gotten to where I don't buy much canned goods. It's either fresh or frozen.

:wah::wah: styrofoam oh that is funny. How does you FIL stand it:wah:? The only thing I buy in a can is tomatoes but only in the winter.
K.Snyder

Cooking Preferences...

Post by K.Snyder »

My mother has to put garlic on all of her meat...She also has to cook meat extremely long so as to remove any doubt the meat is thoroughly cooked...

Does anyone else have to garlic their meat or cook meat extremely long?...

I sincerely hate chicken cooked in the oven...The oven drys out chicken beyond my willingness to eat it, healthy or not healthy...

Does anyone make every effort to cook with wine(And I mean in the food not in the belly!!!...:wah:...At least not in it's liquid form...:wah:...)
K.Snyder

Cooking Preferences...

Post by K.Snyder »

Does anyone prefer to not salt and pepper their food very much while cooking?...

I know too much salt is a bit unhealthy but it really does make or break a meal I think...

Some people prefer to leave salt relatively scarce of their cooking venture but I have to use it...If it's one thing I cannot stand is a bland meal!!!...
RedGlitter

Cooking Preferences...

Post by RedGlitter »

i dont salt too much while cooking because the people i cook for prefer to salt their own. I do add herbs while cooking instead of waiting till the end like they say to.

I don't cook much with wine but I do add wine to my soups. Especially minestrone.
K.Snyder

Cooking Preferences...

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;989297 wrote: i dont salt too much while cooking because the people i cook for prefer to salt their own. I do add herbs while cooking instead of waiting till the end like they say to.

I don't cook much with wine but I do add wine to my soups. Especially minestrone.

Hmmm...

I'll have to try that...I've never really preferred to cook with wine in soups but I'll try wine in minestrone as you suggest...
Lon

Cooking Preferences...

Post by Lon »

I am quite fond of garlic and use it with some meats, however, I prefer most of my meat a little pink in the middle. Too heavy with the garlic can kill the meat flavor in my opinion.
K.Snyder

Cooking Preferences...

Post by K.Snyder »

Lon;989332 wrote: I am quite fond of garlic and use it with some meats, however, I prefer most of my meat a little pink in the middle. Too heavy with the garlic can kill the meat flavor in my opinion.

I agree that overcooking meat is a complete turn off, but I'd have to agree equally that E-Coli isn't exactly my thought of a picnic in the park...
Sheryl

Cooking Preferences...

Post by Sheryl »

qsducks;973843 wrote: :wah::wah: styrofoam oh that is funny. How does you FIL stand it:wah:? The only thing I buy in a can is tomatoes but only in the winter.

He eats it and doesn't complain. But he does salt everything on his plate without tasting it first.

K.Snyder;989286 wrote: My mother has to put garlic on all of her meat...She also has to cook meat extremely long so as to remove any doubt the meat is thoroughly cooked...

Hamburger I cook till I no longer see any pink, but steaks and such I cook till there is a little pink in the center. Pork I cook till done, dunno why, just don't like rare pork.

Does anyone else have to garlic their meat or cook meat extremely long?...

I chop garlic to put in my hamburger when making tacos or such. I've also just crushed a clove of garlic to put in the crockpot when fixing roasts.

I sincerely hate chicken cooked in the oven...The oven drys out chicken beyond my willingness to eat it, healthy or not healthy...

Raise the chicken so it's not directly in bottom of the roasting pan, and add stock to the bottom of the pan. This will help keep it moist.

Does anyone make every effort to cook with wine(And I mean in the food not in the belly!!!...:wah:...At least not in it's liquid form...:wah:...)

I've never cooked with wine.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
qsducks

Cooking Preferences...

Post by qsducks »

I've never cooked with wine either and no wonder your FIL puts salt on everything:wah:
Odie

Cooking Preferences...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;990111 wrote: I've never cooked with wine either and no wonder your FIL puts salt on everything:wah:

I like duck! with orange sauce!:wah:
K.Snyder

Cooking Preferences...

Post by K.Snyder »

Sheryl;989402 wrote: Hamburger I cook till I no longer see any pink, but steaks and such I cook till there is a little pink in the center. Pork I cook till done, dunno why, just don't like rare pork.

My mother cooks meat until the time is met that ensures that the meat is done in conjunction with it's weight...And then she cook it about another 30 minutes for good measure...;)...:wah:...
K.Snyder

Cooking Preferences...

Post by K.Snyder »

qsducks;990111 wrote: I've never cooked with wine either and no wonder your FIL puts salt on everything:wah:

I've actually heard that alcohol contributes to ones taste buds being depleted...

I never knew that...
K.Snyder

Cooking Preferences...

Post by K.Snyder »

Odie;990547 wrote: I like duck! with orange sauce!:wah:

I think Asian food is one of my favorites...Actually Asian food is one of my favorites...I love many foods from many cultures...I'd like to try many more foods from various cultures I haven't as of yet had the luxury in stemming my interest...

Anyone have any suggestions?...

Return to “The Kitchen”