Regional signature foods

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
RedGlitter

Regional signature foods

Post by RedGlitter »

If I were to ask you what is the one dish that signifies the place you live, what would you say it was?

I live in Arizona and I would say steak or chicken fajitas would probably be the dish representing Arizona.
Betty Boop

Regional signature foods

Post by Betty Boop »

A proper homemade Cornish Pasty and proper Cornish Clotted Cream - oh er not together on the same plate though :wah:

Regional to a village close by would be Starry Gazey Pie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/art/artis ... s/bwah.gif
Accountable

Regional signature foods

Post by Accountable »

Texas is too big for just one, but in San Antonio it would have to be the Breakfast Taco! :D My favorite is chorizo & egg. :yh_drool
Chezzie

Regional signature foods

Post by Chezzie »

Bara Brith ( a fruit bread) or Welsh cakes can often be served at afternoon tea or just when you fancy a treat or something sweet.

The traditional meat for dinner in the evening is Welsh Lamb or for a snack Welsh Rarebit which is upmarket cheese on toast.

welsh rarebit

Put two large tablespoons of beer into a saucepan.

Add a tablespoon of butter

4 ounces of Cheddar cheese

season with salt and pepper and add a pinch of mustard powder.

stir ingredients over a low heat until thoroughly hot (but not boiling).

Pour the mixture onto slices of well buttered, freshly made toast.

Brown lightly for a few moments under the grill.:p

Welsh lamb has a delicate flavour developed through slow

maturing on natural pastures.

1-2lb (675-900g) best end of neck of lamb

skinned and chilled

2 cloves garlic, crushed with salt

2 tbsp honey

pint (150ml) dry white wine

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 tbsp fresh rosemary

1. Score the thin layer of fat covering the lamb into a diamond pattern. Combine the crushed garlic, honey, wine, seasoning and rosemary and marinade the meat in this mixture for 30 minutes.

2. Sit the lamb on a wire rack above a roasting tin. Pour the juices from the marinade over the meat and let them drip through into the pan below. Roast in a hot oven (Gas 7, 425°F, 220°C for 30 minutes, or a little longer if you do not like your lamb pink.)

3. Serve the lamb cut down between the bones either as single cutlets or doubles, or simply serve in slices.

I have posted how to make welsh cakes in K.Snyders recipe thread. Not sure If I did bara brith so ill do it again here:D

1lb(450g) mixed dried fruit

pint (300ml) tea

2 tbsp marmalade

1 egg, beaten

6 tbsp soft brown sugar

1 tsp mixed spice

1lb (450g) self raising flour

honey to glaze

1. Soak the fruit overnight in the tea.

2. Next day, mix in the marmalade, egg, sugar, spice and flour. Spoon mixture into a greased 2lb (900g) loaf tin and bake in a warm oven Gas 3, 325°F, 170°C for 1 hours or until the centre is cooked through. Check from time to time to see that the top does not brown too much, and cover with a sheet of foil or move down a shelf in the oven if necessary.

3. Once cooked, leave the Bara Brith to stand for 5 minutes then turn out of the tin on to a cooling tray. Using a pastry

brush, glaze the top with honey.

4. Served sliced with salted butter and some tasty farmhouse cheddar.

Leeks are the the tradional welsh vegetable.
YZGI

Regional signature foods

Post by YZGI »

Chicken fried steak..

spot

Regional signature foods

Post by spot »

Cheddar and Scrumpy and wild wild women.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Regional signature foods

Post by Bryn Mawr »

A Ploughman's Supper with Red Leicester, Stilton and Pork Pie
spot

Regional signature foods

Post by spot »

I have a dreadful suspicion the Prawn Cocktail was invented in The Rummer too.

Make it special. You're better off at a Berni.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chezzie

Regional signature foods

Post by Chezzie »

spot;941949 wrote: I have a dreadful suspicion the Prawn Cocktail was invented in The Rummer too.

dont diss the prawn cocktail, its been a starter on many a xmas works do has that:p
Chezzie

Regional signature foods

Post by Chezzie »

grecianurn;941960 wrote: Pork Pie. (We even have a traffic island called Pork Pie roundabout. The scene of my 2nd driving test failure :o)

That's about it!

Melton Mowbray :p yummety yummety
spot

Regional signature foods

Post by spot »

Chezzie;941954 wrote: dont diss the prawn cocktail, its been a starter on many a xmas works do has that:p

1957, they served their first. Anyone know of an earlier example?

I had one in The Rummer, and a well-done sirloin with peas, and treacle pudding with custard after.
Chezzie

Regional signature foods

Post by Chezzie »

spot;941974 wrote: 1957, they served their first. Anyone know of an earlier example?

I had one in The Rummer, and a well-done sirloin with peas, and treacle pudding with custard after.

omg except for having black forest gatix (gateaux:sneaky:) for afters that was the standard set meal round here.

I always thought the p.cocktail was a 60's dish but made more popular in the 70's so no I dont know of anyone serving it in the 50's
Chezzie

Regional signature foods

Post by Chezzie »

grecianurn;941981 wrote: I forgot - Leicester cheese, but it's not very interesting ... imo

Walker's Cheese n Onion crisps, now you're talking!

my 10 yr old will only eat grated Red Leicester cheese:D
Bryn Mawr

Regional signature foods

Post by Bryn Mawr »

grecianurn;941960 wrote: Pork Pie. (We even have a traffic island called Pork Pie roundabout. The scene of my 2nd driving test failure :o)

That's about it!

Where the ring road crosses the Saffron Lane? I used to live just down the road in my youth.

Excellent library as well.
theia

Regional signature foods

Post by theia »

Bryn Mawr;942048 wrote: Where the ring road crosses the Saffron Lane? I used to live just down the road in my youth.

Excellent library as well.

And I was just going to post Saffron Cake as another Cornish delicacy.

Hog's pudding
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Regional signature foods

Post by spot »

Chezzie;941986 wrote: omg except for having black forest gatix (gateaux:sneaky:) for afters that was the standard set meal round here.To be completely authentic pre-sophisticated you'd have to drink a sweet white wine with the steak. I still like Sauternes because of that.
Kathy Ellen

Regional signature foods

Post by Kathy Ellen »

LOBSTER ROLL

• 4 cups of lobster meat from steamed lobsters(approximately 2 1 1/2 to 2 pound lobsters)

1 cup mayonnaise

2 ribs of celery, small dice

1 bunch of green onions, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons dijon mustard

juice from 1 lemon

1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

2 tablespoons basil chiffonade

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients except lobster in a mixing bowl.

Rough chop lobster meat an mix gently into dressing with a rubber spatula.

Split a baguette open 3/4 of the way lengthwise and cut into 4 6-inch sandwiches. Buttter the inside generously and toast under broiler until golden brown.

Fill with shredded lettuce and lobster salad.
Kathy Ellen

Regional signature foods

Post by Kathy Ellen »

CLAM CHOWDER

2 1/2 pounds small hard-shell clams (such as Manila)

1 medium yellow onion, small dice, peel and scraps reserved

1 medium celery stalk, small dice, peel and scraps reserved

1 medium carrot, small dice, peel and scraps reserved

1 1/2 cups water

3 ounces smoked bacon, small dice (about 1/2 cup)

1 large garlic clove, minced

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup dry white wine

3 medium red potatoes, medium dice, reserved in cold water

1 cup bottled clam juice

1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves

1 medium bay leaf

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced

INSTRUCTIONS

Rinse clams under running water, discarding any that are open or have broken shells. Combine peels and scraps of onion, celery, and carrot with clams in a Dutch oven or large, heavy-bottomed pot with a tightfitting lid. Add 1/2 cup of the water, cover the pot, and cook over high heat until most of the clams have opened, about 10 minutes. Drain clams in a cheesecloth-lined mesh strainer set over a large bowl, reserving liquid. When clams are cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the shells and reserve, discarding any clams that did not fully open. Discard clam shells and vegetable peels, and coarsely chop clam meat (you should have about 1 cup). Measure reserved clam cooking liquid; you should have about 2 cups. If you have less, add enough water to equal 2 cups. Set aside. Rinse out the Dutch oven or large pot, dry, and return to the stove over medium heat. Add bacon, and cook until fat is rendered and bacon is beginning to crisp, about 6 minutes. Add diced onion, celery, and carrot, and season well with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and translucent, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until just soft, about 2 minutes more. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is no longer raw tasting, about 2 minutes. Stir in wine and cook until mixture begins to thicken, about 1 minute. Drain reserved potatoes and add to mixture. Add reserved clam cooking liquid, bottled clam juice, thyme, bay leaf, chopped clam meat, and remaining 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.

Stir in cream and parsley, adding additional salt and pepper if needed, and serve.

along-for-the-ride

Regional signature foods

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I'll never forget the very first time I came down south to Georgia over 30 years ago, everyone served fried chicken. Good thing...........I like fried chicken. And now I work at a poultry plant. :wah:

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Regional signature foods

Post by 911 »

Grits:-4

Fried Chicken:-4

Greens:yh_sick

:-6
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
sunny104

Regional signature foods

Post by sunny104 »

it's hard to pick one thing here. :D

German, Mexican and BBQ are all really big here.

well, Acc. picked tacos so I'll say the other big thing here is brisket. :yh_drool
RedGlitter

Regional signature foods

Post by RedGlitter »

I love how all you guys have helped this thread along! I think food is our common bond :D and I'm enjoying learning from you. :)
Bryn Mawr

Regional signature foods

Post by Bryn Mawr »

grecianurn;943116 wrote: Yes of course, the roundabout was named for the Pork Pie library. :-5

Did you live on the Saff then, BM?

No, towards Wigston a bit in Knighton Fields - back when Wigston was a village
suzy_creamcheese

Regional signature foods

Post by suzy_creamcheese »

bag of chips and 20 lambert and butler I think round here.

Actually Colchester is famous for its oysters but ive never eaten them, nor would i want to eat anything that came from that river

Return to “The Kitchen”