Your favorite recipes...

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by K.Snyder »

qsducks;1066880 wrote: Yes, we run ads in the phone book, but mostly it's WOM (word of mouth). I figure people will always need plumbing work and if it's gonna be this cold this winter, people's pipes will freeze, etc. What a mess that is. Mine are insulated:wah: Hubs is working 7 days a week so far..still a tight Christmas, but they are getting another pc and we have a birthday in the house tomorrow. My baby is turning 19:D


Oh, well,..that's nice...

Tell her I said happy birthday.

Goodnight sweety...

:yh_kiss...
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

EASY STICKY BUNS

12 tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature

1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed

1/2 cup pecans, chopped in very large pieces

1 pkg (17.3 oz/2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, defrosted for filling

2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled

2/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed

3 tsp cinnamon

1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a 12 cup standard muffin tin on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.

In a bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the 12 tbsps butter and 1/3 cup sugar. Place 1 rounded tablespoon of the mixture in each of the 12 muffin cups. Distribute the pecans evenly among the 12 cups on top of the butter & sugar mixture.

Lightly flour a wooden cutting board. Unfold one sheet of puff pastry with the folds going left to right. Brush the whole sheet with the melted butter. Leaving a 1" border on the puff pastry, sprinkle each sheet with 1/3 cup of the brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsps cinnamon and 1/2 cup of the raisins. Starting with end nearest you, roll the pastry up snugly like a jelly roll around the filling finishing with the roll with the seam side down.

Trim the ends of the roll about 1/2 inch and discard. Slice the roll into 6 equal pieces, each about 1 1/2" wide. Place each piece, spiral side up, in 6 muffin cups. Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry to make 12 sticky buns.

Bake 30 minutes until the sticky buns are golden to dark brown on top and firm to the touch. Allow to cool 5 min. only,invert the buns onto the parchment paper (ease the filling and pecans out on the buns with a spoon) and cool completely.

I'm making these for a friend over the weekend...you know who you are:wah:
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

BAKED POTATO SOUP

3 tbsp butter or olive oil

5 cups baked potatoes, skinned & cubed

2 - 32oz boxes chicken broth

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

1/2 cup sour cream

Salt & pepper to taste

Garnishes optional: crumbled crisp bacon, snipped chives or grated Cheddar cheese

Heat in a soup pot over medium heat the butter or olive oil. Add and cook, stirring until soft the potatoes & chicken broth about 20 min. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher.

Stir in the heavy cream & sour cream. Heat through. Do not boil. Season with salt & pepper. Serve garnished with bacon, chives or Cheddar cheese or with all 3. Serve also with Italian or Sour Dough bread.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

chicken with rice soup.....so easy

put in huge kettle two small chickens or 8 pieces, add cold water to cover plus.

add in onions

celery

carrots

salt

chicken oxo cubes

bring to boil, simmer for 2 hours

de-bone chicken

add in rice
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1130964 wrote: chicken with rice soup.....so easy

put in huge kettle two small chickens or 8 pieces, add cold water to cover plus.

add in onions

celery

carrots

salt

bring to boil, simmer for 2 hours

de-bone chicken

add in rice


Odie..I would just put in boneless breasts for this recipe but do you need the soup bones for it?
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1130968 wrote: Odie..I would just put in boneless breasts for this recipe but do you need the soup bones for it?


I put in chicken legs with the skin on, the skin adds flavour.

plus chicken oxo cubes.
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

i cook the chicken first in the oven,,, strip the chicken then put the carcass and skin if you like in water to boil and make a stock. use the stock and add to it the chicken, celery, onions, carrots,,, also if u like add more such as leek, swede,, any root veg really. Add herbs and a bit black pepper for seasoning. Let it cook until veg is just about cooked then add rice and let it cook a further 20mins or so.:D




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1130993 wrote: i cook the chicken first in the oven,,, strip the chicken then put the carcass and skin if you like in water to boil and make a stock. use the stock and add to it the chicken, celery, onions, carrots,,, also if u like add more such as leek, swede,, any root veg really. Add herbs and a bit black pepper for seasoning. Let it cook until veg is just about cooked then add rice and let it cook a further 20mins or so.:D


After thinking about this recipe I find that your both right. The bones usually add flavor but I never thought about the skin. I'll probs try it as I'm always cooking up something round here.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1130997 wrote: After thinking about this recipe I find that your both right. The bones usually add flavor but I never thought about the skin. I'll probs try it as I'm always cooking up something round here.


the skin adds tons of flavour, but remember it is fat if anyone is watching their fat in-take.

it's the same when we cook or bbq chicken, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the skin tastes soooo good!

I still add 6 cubs of chicken broth, but I also make a huge soup to last for awhile.
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1131001 wrote: the skin adds tons of flavour, but remember it is fat if anyone is watching their fat in-take.

it's the same when we cook or bbq chicken, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the skin tastes soooo good!

I still add 6 cubs of chicken broth, but I also make a huge soup to last for awhile.


6 cubs?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl. Do you freeze it?
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1131005 wrote: 6 cubs?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl. Do you freeze it?


nope!

Mike had some now, and he will take it to work all week, I will have it everyday.........it's that good!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

mine is huge!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

Odie;1131001 wrote: the skin adds tons of flavour, but remember it is fat if anyone is watching their fat in-take.

it's the same when we cook or bbq chicken, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the skin tastes soooo good!

I still add 6 cubs of chicken broth, but I also make a huge soup to last for awhile.


oh i dont eat the skin!:yh_rotfl




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

kazalala;1131015 wrote: oh i dont eat the skin!:yh_rotfl


I take if off and throw it out after its cooked.
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

Odie;1131016 wrote: I take if off and throw it out after its cooked.


ye i dont add it to the soup, just use it with the bones to make the stock,,, but not always:thinking:




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1131024 wrote: ye i dont add it to the soup, just use it with the bones to make the stock,,, but not always:thinking:


Yes that what I was thinking too. The bones are good for the stock..adds flavor. Yuck, who would want to eat the skins in soup?:lips:
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

qsducks;1131025 wrote: Yes that what I was thinking too. The bones are good for the stock..adds flavor. Yuck, who would want to eat the skins in soup?:lips:


:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl i know yuk!,,, i dont eat the skin anyway at any time:thinking:




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1131025 wrote: Yes that what I was thinking too. The bones are good for the stock..adds flavor. Yuck, who would want to eat the skins in soup?:lips:


I never said I ate the skins!:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1131028 wrote: I never said I ate the skins!:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl


So what do you do, strain it in a huge colander? I think I would:lips: if you did.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1131031 wrote: So what do you do, strain it in a huge colander? I think I would:lips: if you did.


I take out all of the chicken using a fork and spoon to support each piece, including any skin from the pot comes out.

I take off all the chicken, cut it up,

- put it back into the pot and add the rice.
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
sunny104
Posts: 11986
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:25 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by sunny104 »

you all are very amusing! :D
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

next time I will do it the other way!

cook the chicken first and de-bone!

to many bones and grizzle I couldn't get out even with the colander!:-5:-5

to mushy now and can't see it all!

and that was Chef at Home's recipe!:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

Odie;1131536 wrote: next time I will do it the other way!

cook the chicken first and de-bone!

to many bones and grizzle I couldn't get out even with the colander!:-5:-5

to mushy now and can't see it all!

and that was Chef at Home's recipe!:-5:-5


I told you to cook the chicken first:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

kazalala;1131542 wrote: I told you to cook the chicken first:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl


its not funny!:-5:-5:-5:-5:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Carolly »

Oh fgs you lot.....make another soup:-5:-5:rolleyes::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

Carolly;1131558 wrote: Oh fgs you lot.....make another soup:-5:-5:rolleyes::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl


oh you are so nosey:sneaky::yh_rotfl




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Carolly;1131558 wrote: Oh fgs you lot.....make another soup:-5:-5:rolleyes::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl


Make the potato soup...far easier than that chicken soup.:wah:
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

qsducks;1131596 wrote: Make the potato soup...far easier than that chicken soup.:wah:


Do you leave the skins on:sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1131599 wrote: Do you leave the skins on:sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl


No. I peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes and boil them for about 20 min. or till they are tender.
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

qsducks;1131600 wrote: No. I peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes and boil them for about 20 min. or till they are tender.


i knew that:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl i read the recipe :D




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1131603 wrote: i knew that:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl i read the recipe :D


:-5:-5:-5:wah:
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

Carolly;1131558 wrote: Oh fgs you lot.....make another soup:-5:-5:rolleyes::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl


do you know how long it took me?:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

kazalala;1131599 wrote: do you leave the skins on:sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl


:-5:-5:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Carolly »

Odie;1131615 wrote: do you know how long it took me?:-5:-5To do what:confused:
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

Carolly;1131617 wrote: To do what:confused:


omg!:-5:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

Odie;1131620 wrote: omg!:-5:-5:-5


Im just making lazy curry today:DJar of pataks rogan josh curry sauce added to turkey, onions, peppers and mushrooms, stick in the oven and have with rice later:D




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

kazalala;1131624 wrote: Im just making lazy curry today:DJar of pataks rogan josh curry sauce added to turkey, onions, peppers and mushrooms, stick in the oven and have with rice later:D


curry?

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh no!:-5:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1131625 wrote: curry?

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh no!:-5:-5:-5


They are curry freaks over in the UK Odie. I've never had it but my friend had neighbors from India who cooked it everyday and the neighborhood smelled like it.:lips:
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

Odie;1131625 wrote: curry?

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh no!:-5:-5:-5


what wrong with curry:confused:




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1131628 wrote: They are curry freaks over in the UK Odie. I've never had it but my friend had neighbors from India who cooked it everyday and the neighborhood smelled like it.:lips:


oh god, I remember being in an apartment building!:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Carolly »

kazalala;1131624 wrote: Im just making lazy curry today:DJar of pataks rogan josh curry sauce added to turkey, onions, peppers and mushrooms, stick in the oven and have with rice later:D
Im having a leg of lamb:D:-4
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

kazalala;1131630 wrote: what wrong with curry:confused:


it stinks somefing awful!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Carolly »

Odie;1131657 wrote: it stinks somefing awful!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotflWish I could smell it again I tell ye:-1:-1:-1
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

Odie;1131657 wrote: it stinks somefing awful!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl


I like the smell and it tastes lovely:D My uncles house always smelled of curry, and he would have you sat down to aplate as soon as you walked in:yh_rotflhave you ever tried it?




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Carolly »

kazalala;1131663 wrote: I like the smell and it tastes lovely:D My uncles house always smelled of curry, and he would have you sat down to aplate as soon as you walked in:yh_rotflhave you ever tried it?Curry has to be one of the best inventions on this planet:D:-4:-4:guitarist:guitarist
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Someday I will have to check out curry and try it. Do they make it in Ireland?
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

qsducks;1131668 wrote: Someday I will have to check out curry and try it. Do they make it in Ireland?


I would have thought you can find a curry house somewhere in Ireland, but it may depend on whereabouts you are:thinking: theres a lot to choose from if you dont like it too hot and spicy:D do you not have it there?




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1131692 wrote: I would have thought you can find a curry house somewhere in Ireland, but it may depend on whereabouts you are:thinking: theres a lot to choose from if you dont like it too hot and spicy:D do you not have it there?


Yes. Most of the restaurants are in the city. Occasionally, they write about them in the Sunday paper reviews. always give them rave reviews. I'll open my horizons and probs never look back.:wah:
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

qsducks;1131694 wrote: Yes. Most of the restaurants are in the city. Occasionally, they write about them in the Sunday paper reviews. always give them rave reviews. I'll open my horizons and probs never look back.:wah:


well you might not like curry but you never know till you try:thinking:also they have a lot of dishes that are very tasty wihtout being spicy:D




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1131708 wrote: well you might not like curry but you never know till you try:thinking:also they have a lot of dishes that are very tasty wihtout being spicy:D


I will have to look at a book I bought recently about Ireland. They have loads of info about the island and then we belong to AAA and are getting discounts through them. Just paid them off the other day and upgraded to the Plus membership.
User avatar
Sunshine
Posts: 1366
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:23 pm

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Sunshine »

The best homemade Irish cream Liqueur

The recipe below was kindly privided by a friend, is the only one I've made myself and is pretty darned good.! You can vary the whiskey, cocoa and coffee content to suit your own taste, but these amounts seem to work well.

1 cup (8 oz) whipping or heavy cream

1 teaspoon vinilla estract or vnilla essence

3/4 (6 oz) cup Irish Whiskey

1/2 cup (4 0z) good black coffee

2oz good unsweetened dark chocolate

14 oz can sweetened condensed milk

In a sausepan, warm the condensed milk. Add the chocolate and stir untill fully dissolved. Do not boil. Allow this mixture to cool completely then put everything in a blender and zap it for about 15-20 seconds. Drink. :D

This will keep for 4 o 6 weeks in a tightly sealed bottle in the fridge, though it's unlikely to hand around that long. Shake the bottle gently before use.

Return to “The Kitchen”