Your favorite recipes...

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
sunny104

Your favorite recipes...

Post by sunny104 »

qsducks;1131668 wrote: Someday I will have to check out curry and try it. Do they make it in Ireland?

HP makes a curry sauce. It's mild and yummy on french fries. You can grab a bottle in the shops while you're there. :-6
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

sunny104;1166741 wrote: HP makes a curry sauce. It's mild and yummy on french fries. You can grab a bottle in the shops while you're there. :-6

Great advice I'm getting from everyone!:)
kazalala

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

heres my hubs version of the curry he makes,,, its more or less guessing on the amounts as like me he dont really measure and just adds to taste. Im sure you will do the same,, have a taste when its nearly done and add anything you think needs a bit more. The one thing hubs usually finds it needs more of is usually salt. Anyway once you do it you can adapt to your own tastes really.

In a big pan,,, put two large chopped onions, a cup and a half of water(mug) , one heaped tablespoon of plain flour and about three tablespoons of vegetable oil. bring to the boil then turn down to simmer, stirring so the flour dont go lumpy. While this is simmering add two and a half teaspoons of cinnamon, salt(say nearly a teasoon), a good shaking of white and black pepper and half a teaspoon of garlic granules (or you can add some fresh garlic if you like). Let it simmer for about 15 to 20 mins till onions are soft, then add another cup of water, your preffered choice of meat, we also add potatoes,, dont matter if they are new or old but we like them in the curry. Bring it back to the boil, then add more water enough to cover the meat and potatoes,,bring to boil again, then add two teaspoons of cayennne pepper, a teaspoon of chilli powder,and about 3 heaped tablespoons of curry powder,,(a good named one like sharwoods or something, depends on how hot you want it what type,, madras, vindaloo,, mild etc.). Simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat and cover with a lid, and leave to stand for a good while,,,we usually make it the night before we have it as it always seems better the next day,

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

qsducks;1166746 wrote: Great advice I'm getting from everyone!:)

Ducky dont they have any indian take aways where you are ,,, or nearby ,, we have them here and they will deliver too,,, thing is with Indian food,,, if you dont like hot and spicy food they do have quite a bit to choose from that is not spicy, but very tasty:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Thanks Kaz...Yeah, makes sense to eat it the next day as all the flavors can merge together:-4
kazalala

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

qsducks;1166760 wrote: Thanks Kaz...Yeah, makes sense to eat it the next day as all the flavors can merge together:-4

It just somehow always tastes better the next day:)and it thickens up slightly too:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1166762 wrote: It just somehow always tastes better the next day:)and it thickens up slightly too:D

I have all the ingrediants except the curry which I'll add to my grocery list.
kazalala

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

qsducks;1166767 wrote: I have all the ingrediants except the curry which I'll add to my grocery list.

well done:D hope you like it:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Most of the Indian places are down in the city and they are very popular.
kazalala

Your favorite recipes...

Post by kazalala »

qsducks;1166823 wrote: Most of the Indian places are down in the city and they are very popular.

well you should try it one time:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
sunny104

Your favorite recipes...

Post by sunny104 »

Fish Taco's for Ducky :-4

I don't measure anything and I just use whatever ingredients sound good at the time so you all can make any version of this easily. :-6

fish taco's:

warmed soft corn tortillas

grilled Tilapia

topped with shredded cabbage and salsa

I usually use mangos for the salsa but if they're not in season I substitute peaches or nectarines.

salsa recipe:

mango

sweet yellow bell pepper

jalapeno

onion

garlic

cilantro

fresh lime juice

salt

and I add a splash of vinegar because I like the flavor it adds.

chop everything really small and let it sit in the fridge for at least a couple of hours so all the flavors can mix together. :-6
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

sunny104;1167254 wrote: Fish Taco's for Ducky :-4

I don't measure anything and I just use whatever ingredients sound good at the time so you all can make any version of this easily. :-6

fish taco's:

warmed soft corn tortillas

grilled Tilapia

topped with shredded cabbage and salsa

I usually use mangos for the salsa but if they're not in season I substitute peaches or nectarines.

salsa recipe:

mango

sweet yellow bell pepper

jalapeno

onion

garlic

cilantro

fresh lime juice

salt

and I add a splash of vinegar because I like the flavor it adds.

chop everything really small and let it sit in the fridge for at least a couple of hours so all the flavors can mix together. :-6

thanks babe. Sounds delish. Yeah, I was gonna make tilapia last Friday but couldn't come up with a recipe....now I have one.:-4
sunny104

Your favorite recipes...

Post by sunny104 »

qsducks;1167359 wrote: thanks babe. Sounds delish. Yeah, I was gonna make tilapia last Friday but couldn't come up with a recipe....now I have one.:-4

you'll have to substitute lettuce for the cabbage...:p :D
Annie1

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Annie1 »

Spiced Chicken

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 part-boned chicken breasts, skin on

½ teaspoon sea salt

1 small clove garlic

1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger

1 heaped teaspoon ground turmeric

1 dessertspoon groundnut oil or other flavourless oil

1 small onion, chopped

7 fl oz (200 ml) half-fat or full-fat crème fraîche

1 heaped tablespoon medium curry powder

a few fresh coriander sprigs, to garnish

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 350ºF (180ºC).

Begin by placing the salt in a mortar and crush it quite coarsely, then add the garlic and, as you begin to crush it and it comes into contact with the salt, it will break down into a purée. Next, add the ground ginger, turmeric and the oil, and using circular movements, really work all the ingredients together until you have a thick brown paste.

Next, scatter the chopped onion in the middle of a small roasting tin and then, holding one of the chicken breasts in your hand and using a spatula, smear half of the paste over both sides of the chicken breast and then place it on top of the onion before doing exactly the same with the other. Now transfer the tin to the oven and cook the chicken on the middle shelf for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a jug, whisk together the crème fraîche and the curry powder. Then, when the chicken has had its cooking time, spoon the crème fraîche over the chicken breasts and cover the tin with foil before returning it to the oven for a further 30 minutes. I like to serve this with spiced basmati rice and add a few coriander sprigs for a garnish.
Annie1

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Annie1 »

CHICKEN AND LEEK BAKE

Ingredients:

20z butter

2 leeks, sliced

2 sticks celery, sliced

4 cooked chicken breasts cubed

295g can Condensed Cream

of chicken soup

2 pkts of crisps(cheese and onion or plain)

4oz chedder cheese grated.

Method:1 Pre-heat oven to 190oC(350oF,Gas5)

Meanwhile heat a frying pan, add butter and stir-fry

leeks and celery for about 10 mins. Add chicken

and stir fry for a couple of minutes.

2. Stir in soup and transfer to 2.1/2pt

oven proof dish.

3. Top with crushed crisps and cheese

and bake for 30mins

Service with side salad and hot garlic bread!
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1166757 wrote: Ducky dont they have any indian take aways where you are ,,, or nearby ,, we have them here and they will deliver too,,, thing is with Indian food,,, if you dont like hot and spicy food they do have quite a bit to choose from that is not spicy, but very tasty:D

I found an Indian restaurant with delivery in the phone book yesterday. I like hot & spicy foods but my tummy doesn't:wah:. Will have to look at their menu...I tend to like shrimp/scallops in a spicy dish.
Annie1

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Annie1 »

Spicy Shrimp Recipe

:

1 tablespoon butter

1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

2 3/4 cups beef broth

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

dash Tabasco sauce

1 to 1 1/2 pounds medium to large shrimp, peeled and cleaned

1 can or jar (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained

2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley

2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion

PREPARATION:

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add rice, onion, and green pepper. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add beef broth, salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Add shrimp, mushrooms, and parsley. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until shrimp is cooked. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with chopped green onions.

Serves 6 to 8.
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

ROASTED POTATOES

5 large red bliss potatoes, sliced into bite sized pieces

1 zucchini, sliced & quartered

1 red pepper, sliced & quarted

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 small onion, minced

Rosemary (I use about a handful)

Olive oil

Boil potatoes for 20 min. until soft...drain. Pour some olive oil onto a roasting pan. Place potatoes on pan and just sprinkle all the ingrediants on top of the potatoes. Either oven bake for 20 min or so or grill for about 15-20 min. Turn the potatoes once.
ZAP

Your favorite recipes...

Post by ZAP »

Cousin Betty Lou's Baked Chicken Salad

2 c. shredded cooked chicken

2 c. celery, sliced thin

2 c. water chestnuts, sliced

2 c. mayonnaise

2 10 3/4 oz. cans cream of chicken soup

4 tsp. lemon juice

4 tsp. onion, finely chopped

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. black pepper

1 c. sliced or slivered almonds

1 c. grated cheddar cheese

3 c. seasoned bread crumbs

Mix all the ingredients except the bread crumbs. Put into a lightly buttered 9"x13" pan. (I always use glass baking dishes.) Bake in preheated oven at 350 until it's bubbly about 45 min.
Lon

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Lon »

Zapata;1199395 wrote: Cousin Betty Lou's Baked Chicken Salad

2 c. shredded cooked chicken

2 c. celery, sliced thin

2 c. water chestnuts, sliced

2 c. mayonnaise

2 10 3/4 oz. cans cream of chicken soup

4 tsp. lemon juice

4 tsp. onion, finely chopped

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. black pepper

1 c. sliced or slivered almonds

1 c. grated cheddar cheese

3 c. seasoned bread crumbs

Mix all the ingredients except the bread crumbs. Put into a lightly buttered 9"x13" pan. (I always use glass baking dishes.) Bake in preheated oven at 350 until it's bubbly about 45 min.

Hey Hey Hey-----------that sounds pretty good. Think I will make that tomorrow. Thanks!!
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

In a matter of 3 days I've received in the mail...Paula Deen, Rachel Ray & the Kraft cooking magazines...the ideas on food have me overwhelmed.:-4
Odie

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1237974 wrote: In a matter of 3 days I've received in the mail...Paula Deen, Rachel Ray & the Kraft cooking magazines...the ideas on food have me overwhelmed.:-4

omg.....where do you start?:yh_rotfl

love Paula Dean's cooking!:guitarist:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1237984 wrote: omg.....where do you start?:yh_rotfl

love Paula Dean's cooking!:guitarist:guitarist

I know she does some good stuff...her recipes in the mag I get are not as long as Rachel's....who adds imo too much crap...and the kraft mag is really simple, mostly 5-6 ingrediants.
Odie

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1238028 wrote: I know she does some good stuff...her recipes in the mag I get are not as long as Rachel's....who adds imo too much crap...and the kraft mag is really simple, mostly 5-6 ingrediants.

I hate cooking shows when you have to add thousands of ingredients, really, how many have them?
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1238030 wrote: I hate cooking shows when you have to add thousands of ingredients, really, how many have them?

I know! I want to use whats on hand...my hubs always says that Emeril's recipes will kill peeps...and my big beef is why do they and I'm tlaking all these foodie shows insist on using salt in everything? Isn't there enough salt in the ingrediants? I never add it.
Odie

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1238034 wrote: I know! I want to use whats on hand...my hubs always says that Emeril's recipes will kill peeps...and my big beef is why do they and I'm tlaking all these foodie shows insist on using salt in everything? Isn't there enough salt in the ingrediants? I never add it.

I never add salt either, if you need it later fine, but if not, why add it.

I understand if you have to buy a few things and most cooks would have alot at home.......but not all of it.
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1238037 wrote: I never add salt either, if you need it later fine, but if not, why add it.

I understand if you have to buy a few things and most cooks would have alot at home.......but not all of it.

I read an article in our local paper on what you should have in your pantry...mostly canned tomatos, etc., boullion cubes, spices, stocks, etc. and went with that...I'm never out of those things & always replace them when I'm running low. I also use only sea salt or kosher salt..
Odie

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1238040 wrote: I read an article in our local paper on what you should have in your pantry...mostly canned tomatos, etc., boullion cubes, spices, stocks, etc. and went with that...I'm never out of those things & always replace them when I'm running low. I also use only sea salt or kosher salt..

so what are you making first?
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

I don't know yet..will have to consult hubs who is always in the foodie thing...:wah:..see what we like, etc. We ended up having Chinese tonight.
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Am making this for the kids tomorrow morning for brekkie...easy to make & will pop into the oven inthe am.

4 crescent rolls

Nutella

4 pieces of vanilla chocolate

Slice crescent rolls sideways, spread nutella on the bottom half & place vanilla chocolate on top....roll in aluminum foil. Heat oven to 350F & bake for 10 min.:-4
hoppy

Your favorite recipes...

Post by hoppy »

! empty mug.

Fill 1/4 with tomato juice

Dash of tobasco sauce

Fill with beer of choice.

Drink.

Refill

drink

refill

drink

refill

drink

urinate

refill

drink

etc.
KSnyder

Your favorite recipes...

Post by KSnyder »

As some may know I've had a bit of trouble recovering my password and have been forced to create a new account. As a result, I cannot place these recipes in my journal!
K.Snyder

Your favorite recipes...

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok I have my account back and the recipes should now all be up to date!
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

K.Snyder;1258991 wrote: Ok I have my account back and the recipes should now all be up to date!

I support baseball only...watching the worst chef on foodnetwork:wah:...these cooks are pathetic lol
qsducks

Your favorite recipes...

Post by qsducks »

Kathy ellen, I'm gonna go look up a recipe for buffalo shrimp & will pass that on when I'm done...also making boneless hot wings tomorrow w/out the wontons:)
tabby

Your favorite recipes...

Post by tabby »

This isn't my favorite recipe but I made it last weekend for the first time and the tacos were so good! I was concerned over how they would stand up to comparison with traditional meat filled tacos and while obviously not quite the same, they were excellent and I'll definitely be making them again. I fiddled with it a little, using regular tomato salsa instead of salsa verde and using shredded cheddar cheese instead of queso blanco. I don't even know what that is! I pulled the recipe from a Family Circle magazine a few months ago. Try it sometime!

K.Snyder

Your favorite recipes...

Post by K.Snyder »

tabby;1378788 wrote: This isn't my favorite recipe but I made it last weekend for the first time and the tacos were so good! I was concerned over how they would stand up to comparison with traditional meat filled tacos and while obviously not quite the same, they were excellent and I'll definitely be making them again. I fiddled with it a little, using regular tomato salsa instead of salsa verde and using shredded cheddar cheese instead of queso blanco. I don't even know what that is! I pulled the recipe from a Family Circle magazine a few months ago. Try it sometime!

We eat queso fresco on arepa's here in me household for breakfast and also on other various things which is similiar to queso blanco. Queso blanco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
tabby

Your favorite recipes...

Post by tabby »

Okay, thanks! While I was at Wikipedia, I also looked up arepas ... that was new to me as well but they sound versatile and delicious.
K.Snyder

Your favorite recipes...

Post by K.Snyder »

tabby;1378867 wrote: Okay, thanks! While I was at Wikipedia, I also looked up arepas ... that was new to me as well but they sound versatile and delicious.They are very good and simple to make...Your local store should have a Mexican quisine isle and you can find it there...The more popular brand here is P.A.N. and is a bag of corn meal(Maize Meal)...The recipe on the back is roughly 2 and 1/2 cups of warm water per 2 cups of the Maize Meal...Mix together then knead...Form in to about a 1/4 inch thick pancake and toast on a skillet...You don't need oil either...Serve with butter and queso blanco or queso fresco...Along with eggs of course...:yh_drool
K.Snyder

Your favorite recipes...

Post by K.Snyder »

Here's a dish that sounds good...

Papa a la Huancaina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
tabby

Your favorite recipes...

Post by tabby »

That does sound good and it also seems easy to prepare ... that's an important aspect for me! In the realm of cooking, my skills are average at best plus time is often a constraint. I'll be sure to check out the mexican aisle at the grocery store when I go next week!
K.Snyder

Your favorite recipes...

Post by K.Snyder »

tabby;1378957 wrote: That does sound good and it also seems easy to prepare ... that's an important aspect for me! In the realm of cooking, my skills are average at best plus time is often a constraint. I'll be sure to check out the mexican aisle at the grocery store when I go next week!I would also suggest picking up a Mexican chocolate...Nestle makes one called "Abuelita" which translates to "grandma"...

This makes a fantastic hot cocoa that we eat with arepas and queso fresco(or blanco)

It's called Ibarra

Unlike chocolate bars, and because of its undissolved granulated sugar, and its rough and gritty texture, table chocolate is not meant to be eaten like a chocolate bar, although Ibarra tablets can be eaten. However, Ibarra is used primarily to make hot cocoa in traditional Mexican form. The labeling on Ibarra's packaging suggests that the best way to prepare Ibarra is to use approximately two wedges for each cup of milk or water. Heat the milk until it is near boiling, then blend the milk and chocolate in a blender until the chocolate is completely dissolved, and serve hot. Ibarra can also be prepared on the stove by dissolving the wedges in hot milk, then whisking the cocoa with a molinillo or wire whisk. In Mexico, in the traditional Aztec and Mayan form, Cayenne pepper is added to make it a spicy chocolate drinkIbarra (chocolate) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wouldn't recommend eating the chocolate raw, it may give you the you know what...

My next step is to learn how to make mole chili made with a chocolate sauce...
tabby

Your favorite recipes...

Post by tabby »

My grocery list is getting longer! Omg ... rich hot cocoa on a cold winter day ... perfect. Knowing me, I'll probably use the stove top version and leave out the cayenne pepper.
K.Snyder

Your favorite recipes...

Post by K.Snyder »

tabby;1378966 wrote: My grocery list is getting longer! Omg ... rich hot cocoa on a cold winter day ... perfect. Knowing me, I'll probably use the stove top version and leave out the cayenne pepper. Burn her! Burn her!!!!!
tabby

Your favorite recipes...

Post by tabby »

tabby;1378957 wrote: In the realm of cooking, my skills are average at best plus time is often a constraint.

Snickersssssss ... you were given fair warning!
Lon

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Lon »

I love to cook but will not take any longer to prepare a meal than it takes to eat it. It seems so unfair to take hours in preparation and then consume the meal in one half hour. I will however eat and enjoy a lengthy prepared meal done by some one else.
K.Snyder

Your favorite recipes...

Post by K.Snyder »

Lon;1378996 wrote: I love to cook but will not take any longer to prepare a meal than it takes to eat it. It seems so unfair to take hours in preparation and then consume the meal in one half hour. I will however eat and enjoy a lengthy prepared meal done by some one else.Every cooking show that I watch shows top chefs throughout the world cooking meals that appear incredibly amazing all in under 30 minutes.

Perhaps it's the technique that gives you trouble Lon...
Lon

Your favorite recipes...

Post by Lon »

K.Snyder;1379105 wrote: Every cooking show that I watch shows top chefs throughout the world cooking meals that appear incredibly amazing all in under 30 minutes.

Perhaps it's the technique that gives you trouble Lon...

I have no trouble KC, I am referring to the fact that many recipes call for long periods of preparation. Tomato sauce for example, some like to cook it up over several hours. Not me. All of my sauces are done in 30 minutes or less.
tabby

Your favorite recipes...

Post by tabby »

One box of Ibarra Mexican Chocolate has been ordered and should be here sometime next week. It wasn't stocked in my local grocery store but I doubt they have much call for it in this area so it was online or not at all! Anxiously awaiting & expecting great things ...

Return to “The Kitchen”