Save My Tofu

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
koan

Save My Tofu

Post by koan »

It's going to expire soon and I need new recipes.

Got a good, simple tofu recipe or use?
watermark

Save My Tofu

Post by watermark »

Yes, I've heard tofu rots quickly. Use as soon as you can.

I usually marinate my tofu cubes and bake in the oven for awhile and then throw it in at the last minute with some vegetables I'm stirfrying.

marinade consists of:

some dark sesame oil

couple tablespoons of soy sauce

2 or 3 Tbsp of brown sugar or honey

pressed garlic

thinly sliced yellow or green onion

rice vinegar

a couple dried red piquen chili sliced in half

you can make a cornstarch sauce to thicken at end of the stirfry but it's not necessary if you don't like idea of cornstarch
koan

Save My Tofu

Post by koan »

ok. stirfry.

I can use up a bunch of it if I mix it 1:1 with peanut butter and put it on toast. LOL
watermark

Save My Tofu

Post by watermark »

koan;892016 wrote: ok. stirfry.

I can use up a bunch of it if I mix it 1:1 with peanut butter and put it on toast. LOL

Lol! That's it Koan! You're on your way to being a tofuette! :D

Save My Tofu

Post by 911 »

Have you ever made tofu mayonaise? It's low in cholesterol and to me it's better that regular. Most of my friends who have tasted it liked it better than regular.

I'll see if I can find it tomorrow if you're interested.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
koan

Save My Tofu

Post by koan »

911;892027 wrote: Have you ever made tofu mayonaise? It's low in cholesterol and to me it's better that regular. Most of my friends who have tasted it liked it better than regular.

I'll see if I can find it tomorrow if you're interested.

ooooooooh... nice.

I eagerly await the ingrediential instructions :D

Save My Tofu

Post by 911 »

koan;892028 wrote: ooooooooh... nice.

I eagerly await the ingrediential instructions :D

You got it. I'll look for my book tomorrow:D
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
watermark

Save My Tofu

Post by watermark »

Recently I enjoyed curry (the british way though served in thai restaurant). Never knew curry was soupy. At any rate the person ordered curry with tofu (instead of meat) and it was absolutely fabulous!

I'm just sure you'll find the recipe on the internet. It may mean you have to buy some food besides the tofu. Maybe some curry powder, potatoes, hmm...not sure what else, carrot, peas.

The dish was a cross between pate and soup. No, it was definately soupy as I used a spoon to try it.

Just remember to rinse the tofu well prior to eating-wash away germ spores and what not. :-3

good luck! never let tofu deter you, I say!
watermark

Save My Tofu

Post by watermark »

I have a couple cookbooks with recipes for tofu mayo if 911 doesn't get one to you. I've never tasted this kind of mayo but I've heard good things.

Still you'd want to eat the mayo quickly if the tofu was about to expire, wouldn't you think? Or maybe there's vinegar or some type of preservative ingredient that will extend the life. I for one couldn't eat a tub of tofu mayo in a day or two.

Erin

Save My Tofu

Post by 911 »

Tofu Mayonnaise

ingreds:

1/2 lb firm tofu

1/2 tsp dry mustard or 1/4 tsp prepared mustard

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste (optional)

1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

3 tbsp corn oil

2 tbsp water

In a food processor or blender, process tofu, mustard, cayene pepper, salt and lemon juice until mixed. With machine still running, add oil very slowly and then add water. Blend until smooth. Stop the machine a few times during processing and scrape the sides.

Keeps for up to three months when refrigerated in an airtight container.

Quoted from the American Heart Association Low-fat, Low Cholesterol Cookbook Scott Grundy MD PHD

Mae West

Save My Tofu

Post by 911 »

Tofu Salad Sandwiches

ingreds:

20 ounces tofu, drained

2 small stalks celery, finely chopped

1/2 small red onion, minced

1/2 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped

1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped

3 tbsp low calorie Italian dressing

1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

pinch cayenne pepper

garlic powder to taste

5 whole wheat pitas approx 7 " in diameter

10 leaves Boston lettuce, rinsed aned dried

20 fresh mushrooms, sliced

Place tofu between two thick layers of paper towels. Place between two plates and press down on the top plate. Pour off the liquid. Place pressed tofu and remaining ingredients except pitas, lettuce and mushrooms in a medium bowl. Mix well, breaking up any larger pieced of tofu. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow flavors to blend.

Cut each pita in half to form pockets and line with lettuce and mushrooms. Add about 1/3 cup of tofu salad to each half of pita. Serve immediately.

(Quoted from same book):-6

Mae West
sunny104

Save My Tofu

Post by sunny104 »

I like adding chunks of it to a big salad. That's one of my favorite lunches. :-6
qsducks

Save My Tofu

Post by qsducks »

koan;892007 wrote: It's going to expire soon and I need new recipes.

Got a good, simple tofu recipe or use?

Have you tried allrecipes.com or foodnetwork.com? Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead eating that stuff, but since you like it, maybe you can turn my 6yr old onto it. He eats anything.:wah:
koan

Save My Tofu

Post by koan »

911;892232 wrote: Tofu Mayonnaise

ingreds:

1/2 lb firm tofu

1/2 tsp dry mustard or 1/4 tsp prepared mustard

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste (optional)

1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

3 tbsp corn oil

2 tbsp water

In a food processor or blender, process tofu, mustard, cayene pepper, salt and lemon juice until mixed. With machine still running, add oil very slowly and then add water. Blend until smooth. Stop the machine a few times during processing and scrape the sides.

Keeps for up to three months when refrigerated in an airtight container.

Quoted from the American Heart Association Low-fat, Low Cholesterol Cookbook Scott Grundy MD PHD

:yh_clap

I'm definitely going to try this!

sunny104

Save My Tofu

Post by sunny104 »

qsducks;893311 wrote: Have you tried allrecipes.com or foodnetwork.com? Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead eating that stuff, but since you like it, maybe you can turn my 6yr old onto it. He eats anything.:wah:

my kids like it! but they will pretty much try anything! :wah:

Return to “The Kitchen”