Grilling?

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
back2cali

Grilling?

Post by back2cali »

Will anyone be grilling this summer or having any cookouts at their home?
along-for-the-ride

Grilling?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

:) I like the smell of charcoal heating up. My hubby does the grilling here at home....he makes magic with a hamburger patty. Yummy!
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Victoria

Grilling?

Post by Victoria »

Generally speaking the BBQ season is misery for me!

We live in the town so the houses are close together until about 5 years ago if someone was going to bbq they would warn the nieghbours to close windows and/or bring in laundry before they lit up, but those days have passed and just last weekend my white washing came in stinking and had to be washed all over again because my neighbour 2 doors along started her bbq at 3pm..

Then there is the problem of being invited to one of these events I cant always get out of it so I end up fending off half cooked chicken legs and sausages from well meaning hosts. The last time I ate meat at a bbq was 5 years ago and I can see remember the pain and misery of sitting on the loo with a bucket on my lap as the food poisoning took hold.:yh_sick

Never again!
kayleneaussie

Grilling?

Post by kayleneaussie »

We have a lot of BBQ's in the summer:D but we have just started winter:(
FOC THREAD PART 1
qsducks

Grilling?

Post by qsducks »

We grill every night in the summer so of course we go through alot of propane:wah:
sunny104

Grilling?

Post by sunny104 »

we grill regularly all year long. :yh_drool
YZGI

Grilling?

Post by YZGI »

Victoria;887314 wrote: Generally speaking the BBQ season is misery for me!

We live in the town so the houses are close together until about 5 years ago if someone was going to bbq they would warn the nieghbours to close windows and/or bring in laundry before they lit up, but those days have passed and just last weekend my white washing came in stinking and had to be washed all over again because my neighbour 2 doors along started her bbq at 3pm..

Then there is the problem of being invited to one of these events I cant always get out of it so I end up fending off half cooked chicken legs and sausages from well meaning hosts. The last time I ate meat at a bbq was 5 years ago and I can see remember the pain and misery of sitting on the loo with a bucket on my lap as the food poisoning took hold.:yh_sick

Never again!
So, your neighbors are constantly trying to poison you at bbq's? I can see why you don't like to bbq.:wah:
qsducks

Grilling?

Post by qsducks »

Aren't you supposed to pre-cook chicken & sausage. I always do and nobody has gotten sick. Yet:wah:
sunny104

Grilling?

Post by sunny104 »

we cook it all on the grill but with chicken we have it off the direct heat so it's not causing all kinds of fire and smoke when it drips. :o
qsducks

Grilling?

Post by qsducks »

I pre-cooked my sausage last night and then I finish it off on a piece of aluminum foil on the top rack. Has anybody ever cooked a live lobster on the grill?
YZGI

Grilling?

Post by YZGI »

qsducks;887715 wrote: I pre-cooked my sausage last night and then I finish it off on a piece of aluminum foil on the top rack. Has anybody ever cooked a live lobster on the grill?
Funny you mention that.

About 10 yrs ago a buddy and me bought a couple of lobsters one evening and decided to put them on the grill. We fired up the charcoal and laid them on the rack, went in and had a couple of adult beverages went out to check our almost $100 worth of lobsters and there was a fire shooting out of the grill about ten feet high. I cautiously opened the grill and singed all the hair off my arm but I was determined to save our feast so I ran into the kitchen and put one of those oven mitts one my hand and grabbed some tongs. I ran back outside and reached into the flames and plucked one off the grill and slung it to the ground then went in for the other one not noticing the flames from the oven mitt at the time, I finally got the other one off the grill and proceed to try and rid my hand of the flaming oven mitt , running around slinging my arms until finally it came off. Needless to say we had blackened lobster that night, it wasn't the best I have ever eaten but after a few more toddies we didn't seem to notice. By the way there were about ten other people there that night that we damn near had to call an ambulance for because they were afraid they were actually going to have heart attacks while laughing for the next 4 friggin hours..:wah:
sunny104

Grilling?

Post by sunny104 »

YZGI;887740 wrote: Funny you mention that.

About 10 yrs ago a buddy and me bought a couple of lobsters one evening and decided to put them on the grill. We fired up the charcoal and laid them on the rack, went in and had a couple of adult beverages went out to check our almost $100 worth of lobsters and there was a fire shooting out of the grill about ten feet high. I cautiously opened the grill and singed all the hair off my arm but I was determined to save our feast so I ran into the kitchen and put one of those oven mitts one my hand and grabbed some tongs. I ran back outside and reached into the flames and plucked one off the grill and slung it to the ground then went in for the other one not noticing the flames from the oven mitt at the time, I finally got the other one off the grill and proceed to try and rid my hand of the flaming oven mitt , running around slinging my arms until finally it came off. Needless to say we had blackened lobster that night, it wasn't the best I have ever eaten but after a few more toddies we didn't seem to notice. By the way there were about ten other people there that night that we damn near had to call an ambulance for because they were afraid they were actually going to have heart attacks while laughing for the next 4 friggin hours..:wah:

:yh_rotfl
back2cali

Grilling?

Post by back2cali »

Has anyone tried a Grilled Ba-na-na Split ?? :rolleyes:
YZGI

Grilling?

Post by YZGI »

back2cali;887775 wrote: Has anyone tried a Grilled Ba-na-na Split ?? :rolleyes:
You mean one of these guys..

Might that be considered cannibalism?:wah:
Sheryl

Grilling?

Post by Sheryl »

YZGI;887740 wrote: Funny you mention that.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

We BBQ quiet a bit in the summer. I've never precooked my sausages though. But I do bake my chicken in the oven for around 30 minutes before putting it on the grill.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
qsducks

Grilling?

Post by qsducks »

That's what I do with my chicken too. Never have to worry about steak though:wah:

And Wisey, thanks for the heads up.:wah: Leave that to the steamer
YZGI

Grilling?

Post by YZGI »

qsducks;887813 wrote: That's what I do with my chicken too. Never have to worry about steak though:wah:

And Wisey, thanks for the heads up.:wah: Leave that to the steamer
I still have no idea why the thing flamed like it did, I doubt it was the cooking of the lobster but I aint chancing expensive lobster on the grill again. Or maybe if I do I will try and saty sober through the cooking process.:wah:
qsducks

Grilling?

Post by qsducks »

YZGI;887816 wrote: I still have no idea why the thing flamed like it did, I doubt it was the cooking of the lobster but I aint chancing expensive lobster on the grill again. Or maybe if I do I will try and saty sober through the cooking process.:wah:

Probably because they're alive sweating on the grill:D Well, now I know not to try live blue claws on the grill:wah:
sunny104

Grilling?

Post by sunny104 »

YZGI;887816 wrote: I still have no idea why the thing flamed like it did, I doubt it was the cooking of the lobster but I aint chancing expensive lobster on the grill again. Or maybe if I do I will try and saty sober through the cooking process.:wah:

good luck with that! :p :D :wah:
sunny104

Grilling?

Post by sunny104 »

am I the only person that doesn't pre cook chicken?? :thinking:

but it does come out so good, fully cooked and everything! I just marinate it and throw it on the grill. :-6
YZGI

Grilling?

Post by YZGI »

sunny104;888474 wrote: am I the only person that doesn't pre cook chicken?? :thinking:

but it does come out so good, fully cooked and everything! I just marinate it and throw it on the grill. :-6
I don't pre cook chicken and have never had a problem. We do chicken all sorts of ways. Last week we soaked chicken in yellow mustard and jalapeno relish for a few hours then grilled. MMM MMM GOOD!!
qsducks

Grilling?

Post by qsducks »

YZGI;888479 wrote: I don't pre cook chicken and have never had a problem. We do chicken all sorts of ways. Last week we soaked chicken in yellow mustard and jalapeno relish for a few hours then grilled. MMM MMM GOOD!!

And you forgot to invite me?
sunny104

Grilling?

Post by sunny104 »

YZGI;888479 wrote: I don't pre cook chicken and have never had a problem. We do chicken all sorts of ways. Last week we soaked chicken in yellow mustard and jalapeno relish for a few hours then grilled. MMM MMM GOOD!!

yeah, these pre cooking chicken people need to be more daring! :p :D
qsducks

Grilling?

Post by qsducks »

sunny104;888483 wrote: yeah, these pre cooking chicken people need to be more daring! :p :D

I don't pre-cook boneless chicken though:D
YZGI

Grilling?

Post by YZGI »

I have just been informed that I am grilling rib eyes tonight for my cousins birthday, which is to day Friday the 13th. Wish me luck on not over cooking them because that would be bad luck to over cook a rib eye..
qsducks

Grilling?

Post by qsducks »

YZGI;888492 wrote: I have just been informed that I am grilling rib eyes tonight for my cousins birthday, which is to day Friday the 13th. Wish me luck on not over cooking them because that would be bad luck to over cook a rib eye..

Just make sure your sober dude:D
YZGI

Grilling?

Post by YZGI »

qsducks;888495 wrote: Just make sure your sober dude:D
I will make an effort.
sunny104

Grilling?

Post by sunny104 »

all this talk about grilling has me drooling over here.

I guess we'll have to grill this weekend. :D
YZGI

Grilling?

Post by YZGI »

I just remembered I bought a couple of pounds of fresh asparagus last night, those will definetly be roasted on the grill tonght also.
sunny104

Grilling?

Post by sunny104 »

yummy! :yh_drool

why don't you live closer?? :D
YZGI

Grilling?

Post by YZGI »

sunny104;888514 wrote: yummy! :yh_drool

why don't you live closer?? :D
I know, I love aspargus drizzled with none refridgerated butter:wah: then grilled.
qsducks

Grilling?

Post by qsducks »

YZGI;888521 wrote: I know, I love aspargus drizzled with none refridgerated butter:wah: then grilled.

And how do you grill asparagus? Top or bottom rack? And do you use aluminum foil?
YZGI

Grilling?

Post by YZGI »

qsducks;888524 wrote: And how do you grill asparagus? Top or bottom rack? And do you use aluminum foil?
Yeah I use foil, I just melt a little butter and toss in some onions with them and voila!!
YZGI

Grilling?

Post by YZGI »

I was just reminded,

Has anyone else grilled their snow or king crab legs?

This is my favorite way to eat them. They are already pre cooked so you are basically just heating them up. They come out of the shell easier and tend to be less messy, the smoky flavor from the grill really enhabces them also.
qsducks

Grilling?

Post by qsducks »

YZGI;888533 wrote: I was just reminded,

This is my favorite way to eat them. They are already pre cooked so you are basically just heating them up. They come out of the shell easier and tend to be less messy, the smoky flavor from the grill really enhabces them also.

Yummy, and thank you wisey. Gonna try these this weekend with steamed clams, corn on the cob and a nice salad.
back2cali

Grilling?

Post by back2cali »

Crab legs...now thats my favorite. :-4 the grilled banana split recipe is on Safeway's grilling website (grilling.safeway.com)...oh and theres also recipes for veggies, chicken, steak, fish, and cocktail recipes as well. I think I have my summer planned out for me :)
flopstock

Grilling?

Post by flopstock »

Has anyone noticed that you can buy a nice steak for a couple of gallons of gas now?:D

Seriously... I bought two rib-eye sandwich steaks for about a gallon and a half worth of gas price today. We'll ride our bikes around in the evening for exercise and I should at least break even...:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

qsducks

Grilling?

Post by qsducks »

YZGI;888533 wrote: I was just reminded,

I grilled them on the top rack over the weekend. But I also placed them in a shallow pan w/some water. Didn't take long and Laura & myself ate the entire 2 pounds. Yummy.:-4

Return to “The Kitchen”