Can I get an English Fish Chips Recipe?

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

The best fish and chips I've had *ever* came from H. Salt Esquire which is a chain only in California. It was delish. Even comes wrapped in newspaper.

I was wondering if the UKers here have any recipes they'd tell me about so I can make some at home? Please? :)
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

The best fish batter is made with beer in my opinion.

One trick is to make sure that everything is prepared and assembled ready for frying take-off!!! If you are cooking for 2 or more persons, have your oven on with a lined tray to keep the fish & chips warm.

TIPS for CHIPS: Make sure they are DRIED thoroughly. Make sure the fat is VERY hot - 190 degrees C. Certain potatoes are better for chipping, such as King Edwards, Desiree, Majestic, Maris Piper, & Romano. You can soak the chips for an hour before the first frying - it extracts excess starch which helps in the "crisping" process!! Always drain them thoroughly before serving.

I found this website http://hubpages.com/hub/Perfect-Fish-n-Chips-

Sounds good to me:D
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Beer batter is definitely the best! Decent potatoes are a must and loads of vinegar sloshed on top.

Chezzie's got the right idea - hungry now!!!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks! :)
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Red, I saw a yummy looking fish and chips recipe on Tyler's show. You could look it up on the food network and see if it sounds good. :-6
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Sunny! Hey I haven't seen you in a while. It's good to see you! :-6

Who is Tyler? I hardly ever watch TV so I'm kind of out of the loop, but I'll definitely check it out.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

RedGlitter;886779 wrote: Hi Sunny! Hey I haven't seen you in a while. It's good to see you! :-6

Who is Tyler? I hardly ever watch TV so I'm kind of out of the loop, but I'll definitely check it out.

Hi! :-6

he has a few shows on the food network. :)
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Oh ok! I can check that out, no problem. Thanks!:)
G-man

Post by G-man »

I hear they've got the best fish and chips around, over at Spot's Place. :D

The Spot

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

G-man;886930 wrote: I hear they've got the best fish and chips around, over at Spot's Place. :D

The Spot

That's what made me hungry for fish & chips in the first place, Spot's yummy description of them! :-6
watermark

Post by watermark »

Do you guys over yonder actually make your own F&C at home?? See, it's hard to make deep fried foods just right at home, for me anyway. I don't own a deep fryer for one thing and it's always such a greasy mess and process to create. Same with anything I've made requiring battering or frying in hot oil. That's why I enjoy eating F&C at the pub!

Well the key is having a good deep fryer. Not willing to invest in one (I'd be eating this way too much!) I'm trying to get up the nerve to splurge on a pressure cooker (gotta have your priorities :)).

Erin
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Pressure cookers scare me! Are they any safer than they used to be?

I have a little tub-type electric fryer appliance called a Fry Daddy and that's what I use for frying hush puppies or okra, stuff like that. I've had it for about twenty years but I expect they still make them. :)

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Now you mention that, Red, I don;t think I've ever seen a fish and chips shop in the US... maybe on Fisherman's Wharf in SF, but I think that was more elaborate.

The genuine fish and chips really needs to come from a chippie shop in the High Street, be wrapped up in newspaper (yeah I know they don't do that now because of the toxic ink but it tasted great), and be slathered in vinegar or with lemon. Had a good brew on the beach last week at Watson's Bay in Sydney. Cod and chips... yummmmmm

Now you've made me REALLY hungry
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

That sounds delish, Pam. I'm definitely fixing fish next week. Every time I hit this thread, I start getting hungry.The closest thing to a fish & chip shop out my way is a Long John Silver's....which is probably blasphemy compared to a real fish place. ;)
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Ah yes, I forgot that chain. Probably too good. You need a real Greasy Joe's chippie shop for this kind of fare. Red Lobster is even further up the food chain. The chippie is probably the old working class Brit equivalent of your (and now our) McDonalds and their ilk. Heavy on carbs and grease, filling, and you don't hafta bother cooking.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;887232 wrote: That sounds delish, Pam. I'm definitely fixing fish next week. Every time I hit this thread, I start getting hungry.The closest thing to a fish & chip shop out my way is a Long John Silver's....which is probably blasphemy compared to a real fish place. ;)

I think this is the norm for the entire states...

I'm really surprised as to why people don't tend to try and go into this sort of food cultural idea...

We have Long John silvers but to hear how popular Fish and Chips are in the UK you'd have to think LJS were like comparing hamburger with a T-Bone steak...

Return to “The Kitchen”