I'm intimidated by a Pineapple.

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Yep you read that right. I'm scared of it. I can just see me cutting myself while trying to cut the beast up.

I only bought it because my kids demanded it. Offering the sugar syrup packed canned pineapple wasn't going to work. They wanted the real fresh thing. If they only knew how long it took for me to overcome my fears of cantelope.

So now it sits on my kitchen counter mocking me. Every time I look at it, I hear "who lives in a pineapple under the sea". I think I'm going to go hide it behind the food processor. Firebird will have to handle this beast. :o
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Sorry , I couldnt help myself! :wah:

This might be helpful. :)

Good tip about turning your pineapple upsidedown a half an hour before cutting, to let the sugars drain back through the fruit. I never thought of that.
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love. - Talleyrand

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

NO way...you too???? I have never cut a pineapple because of that SAME reason!! Mom brought one back from Hawaii in 2002 and my oldest had to cut it because I was skerred!!:o:p:wah:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

You can often find pineapple sectioners in places that sell a good variety of kitchen utensils. It's a thing that you stick in through the top of the pineapple and twist and it takes out the whole middle of the pineapple. That might be of some help.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Maybe if you disguised the pineapple and the coconut, thus giving them human attributes, you would not be intimidated. They put their shoes on one at a time like everybody else.

:D

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Dont fear the pineapple

Fear grizzly bears

Does that help ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

You can do it Sheryl it won't bite, and they taste so good. :-6

Peel a Pineapple

There are a couple different strategies to peel and prepare a pineapple. For quartered pineapple slices, slice off the crown and the bottom of the fruit.

Quarter the pineapple lengthwise. Stand the sections up and slice downward to remove the tip, which is a hard tough core.

Then either slice the pineapple into thin slices like this, before running a knife under the slices to remove them from the tough skin.

Or remove the fruit in one piece with a flexible knife or grapefruit knife.

For rounds, use a cook's knife to cut off the rind in large panels. Follow the natural curve of the fruit. Use a paring knife, tip of a peeler, or a small melon baller to remove any "eyes" left in the fruit.

Then, if you have one, press a pineapple corer through the fruit. If you don't have this special tool, slice the pineapple into rounds and either cut the core out with a knife or punch it out with a small cookie cutter. :cool:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

My mom came over today and walked me through cutting up a pineapple. She also gave me a good tip for the hard core in the center. You can grate it and add it to coleslaw. I tried it tonight, and it was delicious.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. :wah: And I will admit fresh pineapple is alot better than the canned stuff.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Cow Patty

Post by Cow Patty »

Sorry to hear that. I love pineapples, it is so much cheaper to buy one whole and cut it yourself rather than purchasing one already cut up in the produce dept. With the correct knife and a cutting board it is quite easy.

Wish you were here so I could show you how to cut it.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

now I want one! :D

Plus, I can do a bunch of Spongebob jokes for my son, he's a big fan! :D

Return to “The Kitchen”