slow cooker

Post by Chezzie »

Just bought myself one of these.

Anyone else here own one?

Could anyone share some recipe ideas?
YZGI

slow cooker

Post by YZGI »

Doesn't every pot and pan have the potential of being a slow cooker? Just turn the heat down..:wah:
Chezzie

slow cooker

Post by Chezzie »

YZGI;755396 wrote: Doesn't every pot and pan have the potential of being a slow cooker? Just turn the heat down..:wah:

bah..got excited then, thought I had a recipe to peruse...:wah::wah::wah:
YZGI

slow cooker

Post by YZGI »

Chezzie;755398 wrote: bah..got excited then, thought I had a recipe to peruse...:wah::wah::wah:
I got one for you.

Put your favorite meat a veggies in cooker..

Turn on cooker..

come back later and eat

Don't forget to turn off cooker when done..

:wah:
lemon_and_mint

slow cooker

Post by lemon_and_mint »

hi chezzie, i love mine

i put any meat or vegetables with water in overnight on high, then on low all day, then when i come in from work that day, readymade meal, it makes the meat really tender - i just made a chicken casserole.

You can make anything in it, curry, as well.

Mine is enormous and i make enough to freeze.
Chezzie

slow cooker

Post by Chezzie »

YZGI;755402 wrote: I got one for you.

Put your favorite meat a veggies in cooker..

Turn on cooker..

come back later and eat

Don't forget to turn off cooker when done..

well I have bought some braising steak, mushrooms, onions and carrots. Going to place them in my new shiny slow cooker @ 7am tomorrow morning and turn on it on low, go to work and forget about it..Return home and peel some spuds to make a mash and peel some sprouts just cos i love em and when hubby gets in from work ill dish it up. So shurrup YZGI lol
Chezzie

slow cooker

Post by Chezzie »

lemon_and_mint;755415 wrote: hi chezzie, i love mine

i put any meat or vegetables with water in overnight on high, then on low all day, then when i come in from work that day, readymade meal, it makes the meat really tender - i just made a chicken casserole.

ohhhh do I have to do it overnight too????
lemon_and_mint

slow cooker

Post by lemon_and_mint »

Chezzie;755419 wrote: ohhhh do I have to do it overnight too????

no, you dont have to, i'm not sure if low all day will cook properly, it depends on the model, you might just have to do some trial and error with yours and see how wwell it cooks on low, its just that i like my casserole to be very well cooked and the meat very tender.
Bryn Mawr

slow cooker

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Chezzie;755419 wrote: ohhhh do I have to do it overnight too????

I found that I need to start mine with boiling water rather than from cold.

Setting it off at 07:00 to eat at 18:00 is then ideal.

First time I used it I turned it up too high and had a dried out mess to clean up and no food so you may want to try it out on a weekend when you're there to check it occasionally.
Imladris

slow cooker

Post by Imladris »

My mum used to make rice pudding in hers when I was young, lovely thick skin with nutmeg and delicious pudding................mmmmmm

*Immy goes to wipe drool from chin*
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
abbey

slow cooker

Post by abbey »

I use it for the Sunday joint of meat, I pop it in the night before, put it on low,

Add a cup of water as it keeps it moist and gives a lovely gravy.
Bryn Mawr

slow cooker

Post by Bryn Mawr »

abbey;755439 wrote: I use it for the Sunday joint of meat, I pop it in the night before, put it on low,

Add a cup of water as it keeps it moist and gives a lovely gravy.

We cooked a brisket at the weekend - in a casserole dish with a couple of carrots and a couple of onions in three or four inches of a red wine stock.

Cooked it for five hours on a low heat and it came out as tender and as tasty as you could ask for.
moonpie

slow cooker

Post by moonpie »

Hi, we use ours all the time. We have two, one smaller and one bigger. The bigger one I use is mostly for sauces and ribs. But I find that I can put in a small pork roast, chicken legs or small roast of beef at 6:30 a.m. - FROZEN and put it on low, - with your favourite spices, mushroom soup, or basically whatever and when you get home it is really nice and tender. It was good suggestion that someone made earlier is to check it out on the weekend when you are home to monitor it, because one of my slow cooker definitely runs hotter than the other one.

There is also a cook book, (which is at home), I will look at the title later and post it - but it is really good, has lots of recipes for everything, and is well worth it. I will post the title of it later tonite for you.

Edit to say - I put it on around 630 a.m. and we get home around 5:00 and its done!
Peg

slow cooker

Post by Peg »

I usually put my meat and veggies on high for about 2 hours then turn it to low for another 5-6 hours. The meat is always tender; the veggies done. Always add some water, but not too much or it'll boil out and over.

I like mine a lot for chili.

I put steak, tomato juice, frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and corn all in together. Sounds gross but it's quite yummy.
Sheryl

slow cooker

Post by Sheryl »

I cook red beans, briskquit, ribs, whole chickens, ham, and round steaks in mine.

They are also good for making stews. Put in your meat, veggies, broth, seasoning, and a little water, and let simmer away!
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
RedGlitter

slow cooker

Post by RedGlitter »

Go to Amazon and buy this book:

Fix It And Forget It

5 Ingredient favorites

Comforting Slow Cooker Recipes

by Phyllis Pellman Good

I have it and it's my slow cooker bible. I'm sure you would like it. :)
lemon_and_mint

slow cooker

Post by lemon_and_mint »

actually i should get hold of the book a nd experiment - apparently you can even make baked potatoes and cakes in it - i'd like to come home to baked poatatoes ready cooked.You have to put them in foil - i think this will be my next experiment with my slow cooker.
Lisa

slow cooker

Post by Lisa »

Lsat friday, I made potato soup in my slow cooker. I put it on early in the morning. I was surprised how long it took for them to cook on high. I added onions and a little celery and spices through out the day. And in the last hour, I added milk and flower. It was deliciuos

I just ate the last bowl for lunch today.:)

Now it's clean and setting on the counter, waiting to be filled with stuff for chili.:yh_drool
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Chezzie

slow cooker

Post by Chezzie »

thanks for all your recipe ideas and help, much appreciated:-6

Thanks RG, i will definately buy that book:-6

Big thanks to Mrsk who pm'd me a great link to a site full of recipes too :-6

No thanks to Jimbo for his contribution but nice to see him here anyways:wah:
Nomad

slow cooker

Post by Nomad »

Get yourself a slow cooker cookbook. Theres hundreds of recipes.
I AM AWESOME MAN
moonpie

slow cooker

Post by moonpie »

RedGlitter;755502 wrote: Go to Amazon and buy this book:

Fix It And Forget It

5 Ingredient favorites

Comforting Slow Cooker Recipes

by Phyllis Pellman Good

I have it and it's my slow cooker bible. I'm sure you would like it. :)

RG - that is the title of the cook book I was going to go home and post, but I am glad to see you use it too. It is a great little cook book, it has something for everyone.
moonpie

slow cooker

Post by moonpie »

Hi all, I am curious has anyone ever tried to do a meatloaf in the crock pot. I know there is a recipe for this in my book, but I am a little leary of trying it, thinking it might be realllllly dry by the end of the day? Anyone - or hints? Thanks.
AussiePam

slow cooker

Post by AussiePam »

I've been using one for years, Chezzie, in winter. They are great when you are out at work all day and don't want to have to start fixing dinner for the starving fam at 6pm. And you come home to a house which smells wonderful. The books that came with my slow cooker said to quickly brown the meet, onion, garlic, herbs, potato and other vegies first, then put the meet in the cooker with the vegies on top, and enough liquid to just about cover that. And leave it alone. When you get home, the final stages, just adding any curry spices, chilli, seasoning, coconut milk, whatever you want - is quick and easy, thickening the sauce or not, as you like. I dont' think I ever followed any recipes.

It's better to use stewing type, cheaper cuts of meat. Gravy beef not best fillet steak, for example.

I don't think I'd be rushing to try meatloaf that way, Moonpie. Anyway, meatloaf can be prepared in advance and then tossed into the oven easily, with some potatoes, while you bath the kids... Reckon I'd do that.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

sunny104

slow cooker

Post by sunny104 »

lemon_and_mint;755415 wrote: hi chezzie, i love mine

overnight?? :thinking: what kind of beast are you trying to cook in there?? :eek:

lemon_and_mint

slow cooker

Post by lemon_and_mint »

sunny104;756276 wrote: overnight?? :thinking: what kind of beast are you trying to cook in there?? :eek:

yes, that's how i've always done it.
Chezzie

slow cooker

Post by Chezzie »

Tuesday night i prepared the veg and cut up my meat and put it in the fridge overnight. Wednesday morning @ 7-15am I put veggies in bottom, braising steak on top and added seasoning and made a thick beef gravy, wacked it on high for an hour then on low as I walked out the door to work. Got home and yes the house smelt wonderful, felt sorry for the poor dog, smelt must of been driving him crazy...Left it cooking, served it with mashed potatoes and sprouts and it was delicious. Hubby was well impressed. I didnt have to do any alterations either.

Today I did minced beef steak, carrots, onions and peas in a beef gravy, just come home and partly cooked some potatoes and just added those. Looks yum. I added the potato that way as I was told that potato doesnt cook so well in the slow cooker??? Do you guys find that or have no probs with potato?

Think me and my slow cooker are gonna become best pals lol:-6
lemon_and_mint

slow cooker

Post by lemon_and_mint »

Chezzie;756306 wrote: Tuesday night i prepared the veg and cut up my meat and put it in the fridge overnight. Wednesday morning @ 7-15am I put veggies in bottom, braising steak on top and added seasoning and made a thick beef gravy, wacked it on high for an hour then on low as I walked out the door to work. Got home and yes the house smelt wonderful, felt sorry for the poor dog, smelt must of been driving him crazy...Left it cooking, served it with mashed potatoes and sprouts and it was delicious. Hubby was well impressed. I didnt have to do any alterations either.

Today I did minced beef steak, carrots, onions and peas in a beef gravy, just come home and partly cooked some potatoes and just added those. Looks yum. I added the potato that way as I was told that potato doesnt cook so well in the slow cooker??? Do you guys find that or have no probs with potato?

Think me and my slow cooker are gonna become best pals lol:-6

potatoes cook well in mine - if left on high overnight.Maybe that's it - if i didnt put potatoes in perhaps it would cook in a day on low then?
Chezzie

slow cooker

Post by Chezzie »

lemon_and_mint;756373 wrote: potatoes cook well in mine - if left on high overnight.Maybe that's it - if i didnt put potatoes in perhaps it would cook in a day on low then?

but your happy with the way you cook your stew Lemon, id stick with what works best for you..Not like they cost much to run is it.
qsducks

slow cooker

Post by qsducks »

Do they sell the Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners in your country? If they do, invest in them, they are really great. And it beats cleaning up the mess in your crock pot.
Chezzie

slow cooker

Post by Chezzie »

qsducks;788674 wrote: Do they sell the Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners in your country? If they do, invest in them, they are really great. And it beats cleaning up the mess in your crock pot.

To be honest my pot cleans well easy, infact im sure it must have a coating on it to stop stuff sticking to it. It was accidently left on low with a tidgy bit of stew left on the bottom all night. Woke up in the morning to a strong smell of beef, turned it off, cleaned it and it looked like new...Marvellous thing it is...Not heard of those liners either qsducks..
qsducks

slow cooker

Post by qsducks »

I guess they only sell em in the US - and when I don't have one, well just too bad, cause at least dinner's done at the end of the day and I don't have to run around and think about it.:wah:

slow cooker

Post by 911 »

I have never had any luck with anything on a bone. The meat gets so tender it falls right off. Now if you like your ribs without bones, they're great. Any meat come out very tender.

I refuse to leave anything like that on when I'm away. I won't even go to the store with the dryer running. It freaks me out!

I cooked lasagna in one and it was delicious! I think it's pretty much the same recipe as the type in the oven only you layer it in the pot. It was great.

Pork chops and rice is great. Just remember the key to a crock pot is never add any extra liquids, even if it looks dry when you turn it on.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
qsducks

slow cooker

Post by qsducks »

I had problems with the potatoes before, so now I just chop them up in small pieces and they cook well. I also layer them on the bottom of the crock and put everything else on top.
homebasics

slow cooker

Post by homebasics »

I didn't know it was possible but yes you can make Chicken Teriyaki Wings in a slow cooker. So easy.

3 lbs chicken wings 1.5 kg

1/2 cup Knorr Teriyaki Marinade with Pineapple Juice 125 mL

1/2 cup honey 125 mL

Remove the wing tips and discard. Cut the wings in half at the joint. In a small bowl, combine the marinade and honey. Arrange the chicken in the slow cooker, pour in the marinade mixture and toss to coat. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Chezzie

slow cooker

Post by Chezzie »

grecianurn;951618 wrote: Must try this :yh_drool in my never-used slow cooker. At last - it has a purpose :-6

I use mine at least once a week, even if I just do meat, onions, mushrooms and gravy... Its going on holiday with me too:D
Chezzie

slow cooker

Post by Chezzie »

grecianurn;951630 wrote: Got mine cheapo from co-op for a fiver, never really had any faith in it delivering the goods but the pot thingy's quite handy.

Do you fry the meat/onions before?

Yes I do, and with a casserole I pre cook the spuds and add them a few hours later as I find they dont cook other wise.

Mince, potatoes, peas, carrots, onions and mushrooms and gravy in the slow cooker is lovely too, lots of pots to make it thick
chonsigirl

slow cooker

Post by chonsigirl »

I use mine 2-4 times a month, makes the nicest roasts for Sunday dinner, and so many good dishes.

Return to “The Kitchen”