Pressure Cooker

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Nomad

Pressure Cooker

Post by Nomad »

Anyone used these ?

Are they safe, dont they blow your house up and kill people sometimes ?

Whats the advantage ?

Thank you

Nomad
I AM AWESOME MAN
Betty Boop

Pressure Cooker

Post by Betty Boop »

They scare the living daylights out of me! :wah:

I'll stick with my steamer thanks. :D
RedGlitter

Pressure Cooker

Post by RedGlitter »

I have only heard about how dangerous they are, Nomad.

I know I'll never mess with one. Maybe they make them better nowadays but people I've talked to say no.
Bryn Mawr

Pressure Cooker

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Nomad;752966 wrote: Anyone used these ?

Are they safe, dont they blow your house up and kill people sometimes ?

Whats the advantage ?

Thank you

Nomad

Sod the safety, they ruin the food!

Betty has the right of it - use a steamer, the food tastes far betterer.
dubs

Pressure Cooker

Post by dubs »

My Auntie used to have one of those things. I wouldn't go within a mile of the place around dinner time.........Advantages? Just spread it around that you have one, and no-one will come near your property..Like a smaller scale nuclear deterrent..;)

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
chonsigirl

Pressure Cooker

Post by chonsigirl »

A steamer is good enough for me..........:)
Betty Boop

Pressure Cooker

Post by Betty Boop »

dubs;752975 wrote: My Auntie used to have one of those things. I wouldn't go within a mile of the place around dinner time.........Advantages? Just spread it around that you have one, and no-one will come near your property..Like a smaller scale nuclear deterrent..;)

:wah: I avoided the kitchen at all times when Mum decided to use hers.

My sister got given one as a wedding present 25 years ago, to this day she still uses the pan, the lid is long gone and I'm not sure she ever used it anyway.

So Nomad, if you want a heavy duty pan that will last forever buy one, just throw the lid away! ;)
nvalleyvee

Pressure Cooker

Post by nvalleyvee »

Pressure Cooker 101

Make sure the black seal is in tact.

Only fill with liquid to 1/3 of the pot. That means don't over fill with food...ex: 1 cup of beans: or 1 pound of meat

When you have steam coming out of the vent hole for 10 minutes - put on the top swisher thingy. It will be about 10 - 15 minutes before it starts moving depending on your altitude. WAIT...WAIT...WAIT... when it gets to a nice gentle rocking motion KEEP IT THERE. Beans take 17 minutes. Meat takes 15 minutes. I am talking tender!!!

NEVER take the top swisher thingy off until the the silver and black little pressure thingys go COMPLETELY down. I always put the pan under cold running water and you can hear the steam pressure drop.

You are done. A pressure cooker does not blow up unless yyou take that top swisher thingy off before the steam is released. I can with a 9 gallon pressure cooker.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
WonderWendy3

Pressure Cooker

Post by WonderWendy3 »

nvalleyvee;752984 wrote: Pressure Cooker 101

Make sure the black seal is in tact.

Only fill with liquid to 1/3 of the pot. That means don't over fill with food...ex: 1 cup of beans: or 1 pound of meat

When you have steam coming out of the vent hole for 10 minutes - put on the top swisher thingy. It will be about 10 - 15 minutes before it starts moving depending on your altitude. WAIT...WAIT...WAIT... when it gets to a nice gentle rocking motion KEEP IT THERE. Beans take 17 minutes. Meat takes 15 minutes. I am talking tender!!!

NEVER take the top swisher thingy off until the the silver and black little pressure thingys go COMPLETELY down. I always put the pan under cold running water and you can hear the steam pressure drop.

You are done. A pressure cooker does not blow up unless yyou take that top swisher thingy off before the steam is released. I can with a 9 gallon pressure cooker.

Thank YOU!!!

I was brought up on a pressure cooker, mom always made roast and potatoes and carrotts in them, I have one, but will be honest, haven't used in years....but if used properly the food is VERY yummy when cooked in a pressure cooker!:)
Patsy Warnick

Pressure Cooker

Post by Patsy Warnick »

They scare the hell out of me..

In-Laws used them, of course thats what you used before the Microwave -

crockpots etc.

Pressure cookers are suppose to cook fully quickly - its that little bobble that flops around from the pressure, it scares me

How do you know when somethings done in a Pressure Cooker? Is it when that little bobble stops?

I don't know - never used on - never plan on using one - too much Pressure..

Patsy
Nomad

Pressure Cooker

Post by Nomad »

dubs;752975 wrote: My Auntie used to have one of those things. I wouldn't go within a mile of the place around dinner time.........Advantages? Just spread it around that you have one, and no-one will come near your property..Like a smaller scale nuclear deterrent..;)

Now I like the sound of that !
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Pressure Cooker

Post by CARLA »

My mom used a Pressure Cooker all the time when we were growing up. We had delicious meals from it. Don't have the slightest idea how to use one. I'm sure if used properly all is safe. :-3:-3
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

dubs

Pressure Cooker

Post by dubs »

It's a freakin' bomb Carla!!!!!:wah::wah:

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
CARLA

Pressure Cooker

Post by CARLA »

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Ours never blew it just made this funny hissing sound.

[QUOTE]It's a freakin' bomb Carla!!!!!:wah::wah:[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

AussiePam

Pressure Cooker

Post by AussiePam »

What nvalleyvee says!!!

They are a very useful addition to a kitchen - and completely safe - when properly used. I was given mine years ago and use it for salt meats which cook in a fraction of the time. I also use it for making stock from say a hambone. And on the rare occasions when I make English dishes like steak and kidney pudding - it makes great suet pastry or dumplings. It allows some steam out when the set pressure is reached.

This is just one cooking utensil, and in my household I use this form of cooking much less often than steaming, stir frying, baking, grilling/broiling etc. My least favourite cooking thing is the microwave. Okay to defrost stuff you've forgotten to take out of the freezer. And I admit to using it occasionally to heat or speed up frozen meals... but I don't like microwave ovens.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

nvalleyvee

Pressure Cooker

Post by nvalleyvee »

Patsy Warnick;753002 wrote: They scare the hell out of me..

In-Laws used them, of course thats what you used before the Microwave -

crockpots etc.

Pressure cookers are suppose to cook fully quickly - its that little bobble that flops around from the pressure, it scares me

How do you know when somethings done in a Pressure Cooker? Is it when that little bobble stops?

I don't know - never used on - never plan on using one - too much Pressure..

Patsy

Patsy,

You have to time the cooking time from when the bobble that flops - flops evenly for 16 minutes. DONE.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
AussiePam

Pressure Cooker

Post by AussiePam »

I forgot the worst abomination - the deep fryer. Now if you're into danger - this is the appliance for you!!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Patsy Warnick

Pressure Cooker

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I will use a deep fryer - People are only afraid of the unknown.

Deep Fryer main error - too much oil & usually potatoes & usually recently rinsed - insert food dry.

I know that pressure scares me and I can get stock from a Ham Bone letting it simmer for awhile.

I feel the Pressure Cooker is obsolete. & dangerous.

Patsy
joesoap

Pressure Cooker

Post by joesoap »

Hi,

My Mam had one and I was scared of it. Worse still my Aunt once put a tinned steak and kidney pudding in the oven to heat up without putting a hole in the tin:eek:

It blew the oven door off and they were on for weeks removing impacted pud' from all over the kitchen. Fortunately everyone was in the sitting room at the time and the only long term damage was that her dog would never go in the kitchen ever again!

Some of the most basic household items can be deadly if misused:-3

Paul.
Sheryl

Pressure Cooker

Post by Sheryl »

I grew up eating meals prepared in a pressure cooker. I have my grandma's that she used to can foods with. I've never used it, it's sitting in the garage collecting dust. They always seemed a little to complicated to me. But I prefer to cook my beans or roasts in the crock pot. :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
mikeinie

Pressure Cooker

Post by mikeinie »

I work in a pressure cooker:

Management keeps wanting more and more and more building pressure and squeezing away my time and sanity :-5 until my head goes bang..

and all my brains are cooked and all over the office wall…..:yh_ghost

OK give me a break it is Friday.
along-for-the-ride

Pressure Cooker

Post by along-for-the-ride »

mikeinie;753202 wrote: I work in a pressure cooker:

Management keeps wanting more and more and more building pressure and squeezing away my time and sanity :-5 until my head goes bang..

and all my brains are cooked and all over the office wall…..:yh_ghost

OK give me a break it is Friday.

"Life" can be a pressure cooker if you let it. It is indeed Friday, mikeinie, but I have to go to work tomorrow.

Nomad, any thing that is prefixed with "pressure" has to be used with caution and respect and used safely.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Nomad

Pressure Cooker

Post by Nomad »

Patsy Warnick;753051 wrote: I will use a deep fryer - People are only afraid of the unknown.

Deep Fryer main error - too much oil & usually potatoes & usually recently rinsed - insert food dry.

I know that pressure scares me and I can get stock from a Ham Bone letting it simmer for awhile.

I feel the Pressure Cooker is obsolete. & dangerous.

Patsy

I do like fried foods but Id never get a fryer because of the mess and the smell. Not worth it to me. I will saute scallopini or what not in an in. of oil but thats it.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “The Kitchen”