Yellow or Dijon?

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
lalalala

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by lalalala »

i was never really a ketchup kind of person. so my condiment of choice is/was mustard, i was curious if there were any here that would march for mustard :wah: i like all kinds but im getting more into Dijon styles of mustard.. anyone here enjoy that more than just the standard yellow... anyone here like Grey Poupon Mustard?
Chezzie

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by Chezzie »

ohhh hard one, I like french but partial to a bit of colemans english on ham sarnies
lemon_and_mint

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by lemon_and_mint »

love the taste of the grey poupon but hate the texture.
sunny104

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by sunny104 »

on hot dogs it has to be yellow mustard but the spicier stuff is pretty good on sandwiches although I prefer my sandwiches with no condiments. :)
RedGlitter

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by RedGlitter »

I like horseradish mustard. :)
el guapo

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by el guapo »

mellow yello
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
Peg

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by Peg »

Only yellow mustard for me.
AussiePam

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by AussiePam »

Hot english on rare roast beef. German mustard on hot dogs. Black mustard seeds in Indian curries. Dijon or wholegrain french in or on everything else.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

koan

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by koan »

I love Dijon, but it makes me burp... for days.

bet you didn't need to know that, did you?
Chezzie

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by Chezzie »

jimbo;734851 wrote: dijon dijon dijon dijon .... sorry it repeats on me too :D:D

can we please have a groan button added to the board :wah::wah::wah:
Chezzie

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by Chezzie »

jimbo;734854 wrote: wow it usually takes a newbie much longer to get fed up with my crap jokes :p:p

not for you, Big head...Just so you all know when ive "arrived" :wah::wah::wah:
Sheryl

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by Sheryl »

Suzy sent me some English mustard awhile back. That stuff is hotter than Chinese mustard, it made my eyes water. :wah:
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
AussiePam

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by AussiePam »

koan;734849 wrote: I love Dijon, but it makes me burp... for days.

bet you didn't need to know that, did you?

Last week's school newsday was kids' joke: They are six years old. The kids not the jokes.

Q: What colour is a burp?

A: Burple!!

Enough to give anyone an upset tum, but it went down a treat, apparently.

KB.

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by KB. »

Two to three nice full table spoons of real mayo, squirt some dijon and spicy brown in the mix, add a little salt and some red pepper, mix, serve at room temp.
Life ain't linear.
AussiePam

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by AussiePam »

What's that, KB? It sounds like a delicious dipping sauce??? My mum used to concoct a devil sauce using tomato ketchup and cream and worcester sauce. When you got the consistency right, it was perfect with seafood. I have a feeling when she served it with kidneys though, she added some mustard.

KB.

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by KB. »

I use it when I cook steak sandwiches mainly, but I also use it for dipping sauce for everything from sausage to fries. It is great. I put more spicy brown than dijon in it because I like the heat.
Life ain't linear.
AussiePam

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by AussiePam »

OK KB, I'm not exactly sure where in the US you are, but I'm packing my bags and sorting my ticket as I write. YUMMO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just looked at your profile.. no location except the limbo thingie. I too love Kerouac, blues, smokey jazz.....

KB.

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by KB. »

I'm a hell of a cook. I've been doing a lot since I haven't been writing as much. It is a good outlet. JacksDad has talked about coming to visit after the new year. Tag along. Just bring your drinking face with you.
Life ain't linear.
AussiePam

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by AussiePam »

Grin. I'm no slouch in the kitchen either. We could make ze beautiful music together...

:sneaky:

Chezzie

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by Chezzie »

when you make the steakwich in america do you just fry off your onion or do you caramelise them? OOps slightly off topic but I was going to add ;) do you then top with your fav mustard mix?
lalalala

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by lalalala »

lemon_and_mint;734571 wrote: love the taste of the grey poupon but hate the texture.

i think the texture is pretty smooth for me. its a got a nice finish to it as well. so i think its a pretty good mix of taste and texture. what kind of brand of Grey Poupon Mustard do you have/tried lemon???

for me I enjoy the original but I just recently got the 3 new flavors of Grey Poupon Mustard theres:

Harvest Coarse Ground

Hearty Spicy Brown

and..

Savory Honey

for those that are into more of the spicier mustards i really recommend Hearty Spicy Brown (finely diced yellow onions) but if you're more into heartier mustards check out Harvest Coarse cause its got whole mustard seeds in it. and yeah theres more info on http://www.greypoupon.com for more info :)
Nomad

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by Nomad »

This thread is too fancy pants for me.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, you Pooh-Pon you!:)
KB.

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by KB. »

It depends on the onions. I like them just sauteed a bit, but some folks prefer them caramelized. I just fix them for the majority or fix them both ways. The mustard-mayo mix goes on the bread.
Life ain't linear.
spot

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by spot »

I just checked to see whether it was known in the US or not. I found it - http://www.colmansmustard.com/colmans_mustard_usa.html

The stuff in the tin, made up fresh at room temperature 15 minutes before it's used so the enzymes have a chance to do their work. That's mustard, the rest are just flavouring.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
KB.

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by KB. »

spot;736124 wrote: I just checked to see whether it was known in the US or not. I found it - http://www.colmansmustard.com/colmans_mustard_usa.html

The stuff in the tin, made up fresh at room temperature 15 minutes before it's used so the enzymes have a chance to do their work. That's mustard, the rest are just flavouring.

I make home made mustard when it is in season, the mustard that is.
Life ain't linear.
AussiePam

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by AussiePam »

I can get the Colmans powdered mustard here in Australia. Good in that form for adding to cheese sauces too.

spot

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by spot »

KB.;736125 wrote: I make home made mustard when it is in season, the mustard that is.

From the seeds? I had no idea they had a season.

This is a quote from Platina, an Italian Renaissance writer now known in the food world for his cookbook "Concerning Wholesome Pleasure and Well-Being":[Mustard] is considered very useful to the stomach, drives out ills in the lungs, lightens a chronic cough, makes spitting easy, is given food to those who are gasping, purges senses and head from sneezes, softens the bowels, stimulates menstruation and urine, and cuts phlegm. When smeared on an ailment of the body, it shows the force of its burning.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by spot »

AussiePam;736127 wrote: I can get the Colmans powdered mustard here in Australia. Good in that form for adding to cheese sauces too.

It's amazing how much variation in flavour there can be from one tin depending on how you use the contents. Cooked like that it's not hot at all. Stirred in a bit of water for five minutes it's explosive.
KB.

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by KB. »

We always grew mustard greens with the rest of the garden and my grandmother always made mustard with the seeds.
Life ain't linear.
sunny104

Yellow or Dijon?

Post by sunny104 »

spot;736128 wrote: From the seeds? I had no idea they had a season.

This is a quote from Platina, an Italian Renaissance writer now known in the food world for his cookbook "Concerning Wholesome Pleasure and Well-Being":[Mustard] is considered very useful to the stomach, drives out ills in the lungs, lightens a chronic cough, makes spitting easy, is given food to those who are gasping, purges senses and head from sneezes, softens the bowels, stimulates menstruation and urine, and cuts phlegm. When smeared on an ailment of the body, it shows the force of its burning.

I think Lon could use some right now....:wah:

Return to “The Kitchen”