Grilled Cheese! The Perfect Food!

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I just had a grilled cheese. Is there a more perfect comfort food? :)

There are tons of recipes out there for making a yummy sandwich, ranging from special condiments like hot mustard and horseradish to fancy breads and of course, special cheeses. Mine tonight was just white bread, butter and three slices of those cello-wrapped cheese singles. Usually though I prefer my grilled cheese to be cheddar and swiss on either sourdough or Jewish rye with no condiments, just grilled in butter.

It's good stuff, Maynard!

What is your special way of making a grilled cheese?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;721362 wrote: I just had a grilled cheese. Is there a more perfect comfort food? :)

There are tons of recipes out there for making a yummy sandwich, ranging from special condiments like hot mustard and horseradish to fancy breads and of course, special cheeses. Mine tonight was just white bread, butter and three slices of those cello-wrapped cheese singles. Usually though I prefer my grilled cheese to be cheddar and swiss on either sourdough or Jewish rye with no condiments, just grilled in butter.

It's good stuff, Maynard!

What is your special way of making a grilled cheese?

Using Lee & Perins Worcestershire Sauce

Toast two slices of bread, when only half done on the second side sprinkle with Lee & Perins then cover with sliced / gratered cheese (preferably mature chedder but farmhouse Double Gloucester also works well) and put back under the grill until melted and bubbling. Allow to cool *slightly) before eating.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

I cant eat cheese toasted, it goes to greasy?

Unless you guys know of the perfect cheese for grilling?

My mum uses a wax sort of sandwich bag that goes in the toaster and she puts ham and mozzerella and sliced beef tomato on a ciabatta or panini and pops it in the toaster for a minute, she says its lush..
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Chezzie;721371 wrote: I cant eat cheese toasted, it goes to greasy?

Unless you guys know of the perfect cheese for grilling?

My mum uses a wax sort of sandwich bag that goes in the toaster and she puts ham and mozzerella and sliced beef tomato on a ciabatta or panini and pops it in the toaster for a minute, she says its lush..

Only if you overcook it or let it go cold after cooking I think.

You need to eat it before it separates out.
Lon

Post by Lon »

My favorite-----------Use not stick frying pan--------two slices of Jewish Rye buttered on all four sides, slice of cheddar cheese, thin slice of boiled ham, thin slice of tomato. It goes particularly well with a bowl of tomato soup.

Makes a nice lunch.
lilyblue74

Post by lilyblue74 »

Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich --- absolutely delicious. Try it with carmelized onions. Yum.... :p
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I'm going to be trying everybody's method this week! :DI just tried Bryn's Worcestershire sandwich although I was out of cheddar so used American cheese and the Worcestershire definitely gives it a good flavor! :)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Im on a pumpernikel grilled cheese kick. Its a party in your mouth.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

A croque-monsieur sandwich. Its "French"

I AM AWESOME MAN
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Bryn Mawr;721365 wrote: Using Lee & Perins Worcestershire Sauce

Toast two slices of bread, when only half done on the second side sprinkle with Lee & Perins then cover with sliced / gratered cheese (preferably mature chedder but farmhouse Double Gloucester also works well) and put back under the grill until melted and bubbling. Allow to cool *slightly) before eating.

I love Lee & perrins, its ace!:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Wow Nomad, that sandwich just made me very hungry. It looks delish.

I love pumpernickel! I never thought to try that grilled. I will do that. :D
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

A grilled cheese sammitch accompanied by tomato and roasted red pepper soup. Dip the sammitch in the soup as you eat and your genitalia become secondary pleasure organs.

:-6
watermark

Post by watermark »

Yes, RG, I agree! Grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food. I like mine with any cheese depending what I have in the house. Right now I have swiss. I like swiss and mustard grilled cheesse . My daughter often orders grilled cheese in restaurants that serve the velveeta on texas toast kind.

E
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

American food sounds lush and your making me hungry, you have so much more choice, however id end up being the size of a small country if i lived out there:lips:
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I have to have my grilled cheese sandwich with a side of mustard

I have to have cheese & crackers with a side of mustard - obviously I'm lacking something.

Nomad - MN is big with pumpernickel bread - your sandwich looked delish, similar to a Philly sandwich

We always had to have Tomato Soup with a toasted cheese sandwich.

Patsy
cars

Post by cars »

Grilled LOL American Cheese Sandwich, delish, it's almost as good as a thick Skippy Peanut Butter on fresh white bread Sandwich! :);):cool:

Both stick to the roof of your mouth!!:)
Cars :)
watermark

Post by watermark »

Patsy Warnick;721478 wrote: I have to have my grilled cheese sandwich with a side of mustard

I have to have cheese & crackers with a side of mustard - obviously I'm lacking something.

Patsy

What do you mean, Patsy? That you are lacking something nutritional to make you want the mustard? Or am I not understanding. I ask because I love mustard myself and maybe there's a vitamin or mineral that I get by eating mustard.

:)
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Yellow Mustard is low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Thiamin, Manganese and Selenium. However it is very high in Sodium.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Cheese on toast is the only food I put salt on, and it's delicious. :-4
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;721439 wrote: I'm going to be trying everybody's method this week! :DI just tried Bryn's Worcestershire sandwich although I was out of cheddar so used American cheese and the Worcestershire definitely gives it a good flavor! :)

Glad you enjoyed :-6
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Terri, you made me so hungry for a grilled cheese that I made on of these. BYW, I love the new avatar....really nice.

"Tuscan Grilled Cheese"

Servings: Makes 2 servings.

Ingredients4 1/2-inch-thick slices country bread

3 tablespoons garlic-flavored olive oil

4 ounces smoked mozzarella, thinly sliced

1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced

1/4 cup fresh basil leaves

4 cups arugula leaves

3 tablespoons bottled balsamic vinaigrette

Preparation:

Brush 1 side of each bread slice lightly with oil, using about 1 tablespoon total. On 2 slices, arrange half of cheese, then tomato, basil, and remaining cheese. Top with remaining bread slices, oil side down. Brush tops of sandwiches with about 1 tablespoon of remaining oil.

Heat medium skillet or range-top grill pan over medium heat. Place sandwiches, oil side down, in skillet. Brush tops with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Cook until sandwiches are golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted, turning once, about 5 minutes per side.

Toss arugula with vinaigrette and divide between 2 plates. Cut sandwiches in half or quarters and arrange around arugula. Serve.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Whoa! Now that's something I have to try, Kathy Ellen! Ask Nomad, I'm crazy for anything that calls itself Tuscan! Be it food or art or whatever. That sandwich sounds incredible. I am definitely trying that after I do my next grocery shopping! :yh_drool

Thank you For the nice compliment, Kathy Ellen. I appreciate that. I like to play around with my avatars now and then. :)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Terri,

I really love the black and white pics...something very beautiful about them.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Aww, thanks Kathy Ellen! I like black and white and sepia too. Just something about them. :)
lalalala

Post by lalalala »

about a couple of weeks ago, i added cinnamon to it on the outside and it was pretty good.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

my most favorite is when you get them at a restaurant, a diner style place like Denny's or whatever. Just a plain grilled cheese with a side order of those big fat fries. :yh_drool :yh_drool
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

sunny104;722639 wrote: my most favorite is when you get them at a restaurant, a diner style place like Denny's or whatever. Just a plain grilled cheese with a side order of those big fat fries. :yh_drool :yh_drool

Yeah those big fries!! And don't forget the dill pickle!! :D
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

lalalala;722246 wrote: about a couple of weeks ago, i added cinnamon to it on the outside and it was pretty good.

Is that allowed ? :confused:
I AM AWESOME MAN
observer1

Post by observer1 »

I like to put Clearfield American cheese or provolone cheese in a sliced-open pita pocket, sometimes with chipped cooked ham, sometimes without! YUMMMMMO!! Just pop it in the microwave til the cheese is melted & then eat!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Now that sounds like a *good* idea :-)

just off to get some pitta breads to try it. :-6
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I think the wig is preventing oxygen from getting to Jimbo's brain! :-2
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Here's a new one I just stumbled across....

Sautéed Jalapeño and Aged Jack Grilled Cheese

INGREDIENTS

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

2 medium jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise

1 1/2 ounces grated aged Monterey Jack cheese (about 1/2 cup)

2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened

2 (1/2-inch-thick, 7-by-3-inch-long) slices pain au levain
INSTRUCTIONS

Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Once heated, add vegetable oil and jalapeños. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and sauté peppers until tender, about 5 minutes. Set jalapeños aside and let cool slightly.

Combine Jack and jalapeños in a small bowl. Spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread.

Return pan to medium-low heat. Once the pan is warm, add 1 slice of bread buttered side down, top with cheese mixture, then close sandwich with second bread slice buttered side up.

Cook until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes per side.
guppy

Post by guppy »

RedGlitter;732452 wrote: Here's a new one I just stumbled across....

Sautéed Jalapeño and Aged Jack Grilled Cheese

INGREDIENTS

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

2 medium jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise

1 1/2 ounces grated aged Monterey Jack cheese (about 1/2 cup)

2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened

2 (1/2-inch-thick, 7-by-3-inch-long) slices pain au levainINSTRUCTIONS

Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Once heated, add vegetable oil and jalapeños. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and sauté peppers until tender, about 5 minutes. Set jalapeños aside and let cool slightly.

Combine Jack and jalapeños in a small bowl. Spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread.

Return pan to medium-low heat. Once the pan is warm, add 1 slice of bread buttered side down, top with cheese mixture, then close sandwich with second bread slice buttered side up.

Cook until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes per side.
now!! thats my idea of a grilled cheese!!! hmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

guppy;732457 wrote: now!! thats my idea of a grilled cheese!!! hmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ditto!!!!! :yh_drool :yh_drool :yh_drool jalapenos make everything tastier....:D
KarmaDoodle

Post by KarmaDoodle »

I like to sautee some onions and use swiss cheese and deli turkey in the sandwich. I love to mix some mayo and ketchup together to dip the sandwich in or cook up some tomato sooup...yum!
KarmaDoodle

Post by KarmaDoodle »

I like mine with pickled tomatoes. Weird, huh?
observer1

Post by observer1 »

KarmaDoodle;732852 wrote: I like to sautee some onions and use swiss cheese and deli turkey in the sandwich. I love to mix some mayo and ketchup together to dip the sandwich in or cook up some tomato sooup...yum!

I agree with dipping it in tomato soup! That is so yummy!!!
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

jimbo;726146 wrote: i thought it said grilled chesney the perfect fool :wah::wah:

Your goin down!:wah::wah::wah::wah:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Here's my favourite. Goat's cheese on toast

ED

Oh Man, just looking at that makes me drool. I have the cheese and chives already in my fridge. I am so fixing it for lunch today.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

WEll I was going to have grilled cheese on toast for brekky but me bread was mouldy:( so had a mango instead:)
FOC THREAD PART 1
observer1

Post by observer1 »

I made a grilled ham & american cheese sandwich for dinner last night. YYUUMM!!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Sharp cheddar on pump w/ bacon. Huh ? How bout it ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
observer1

Post by observer1 »

Nomad;777294 wrote: Sharp cheddar on pump w/ bacon. Huh ? How bout it ?

That sounds yummy!! But I like Provalone & turkey on pumpernikel with a bit of mayo. Then grill it!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

My kiddies love the way I make em. White bread buttered and place in hot pan with 4 slices cheese, put a cover on the pan and let the cheese/bread do it's thing, then place another buttered bread on top (no cover needed) and flip over and just let it toast on medium for about 3-5 min. I like mine toasty on the edges and with the cheese melting out the sides. Oh, and with potato chips on the side and a pickle slice.
homebasics

Post by homebasics »

This one is so good if you want to class it up

2 tsp Hellmann's Dijonnaise Creamy Mustard 10 mL

2 slices potato bread 2

1 slice honey ham 1

1 slice turkey pastrami 1

2 slices salami 2

2 slices onion 2

1 slice Cheddar cheese 1

1 slice Mozzarella cheese 1

1 slice provolone cheese 1

1 tbsp Hellmann's Real or 1/2 the Fat Mayonnaise 15 mL

Spread Dijonnaise on one side of each bread slice. Trimming to fit, top one bread slice with sliced deli meats, onion and cheeses in the order given. Top with remaining bread slice, Dijonnaise side down. Spread mayonnaise evenly over both sides of sandwich.

Cook on preheated griddle or in skillet over medium-low heat about 5 minutes per side. Sandwich is done when cheese is melted and bread lightly toasted.

Serve with olives and dill or sweet pickles on the side.

Tip:

Substitute thin tomato slices for onion. When cutting sandwiches, use a sharp serrated knife.

Return to “The Kitchen”