Your Trade Secret Recipes

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks to Sunny for her Potluck thread! It gave me the idea to ask about your secret family recipes. I think most everyone has something special they like to make that might have a secret or special ingredient.

We were talking about devilled eggs in Sunny's thread so this is how I make my filling:

Well-mashed yolks to which I add enough mayo to make them creamy, then I add equal amounts (to taste) of red wine vinegar and sugar. I have used regular vinegar too which comes out fine but I just prefer red wine vinegar. I mix in a lot of paprika, enough to tint the yolk mix a bit orange. Then sometimes I will crush up some dried rosemary or basil into a powder and I'll sprinkle that wither in the mix or on top of the eggs. The rosemary is my favorite but basil will work in a pinch. Then...EAT THE EGGS!! :D

So tell us your secret recipes!!
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I'm sharing it..

Basic Cream Cheese cake

3 8 oz packages of cream cheese

3/4 c. sugar

3 eggs

tsp. vanilla

Crust is crushed graham crackers, 3 TBSP. melted butter and 2 TBSP. sugar.

Mix crust ingredients in bottom of pan, then press firmly in bottom of pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.

Let crust cool and pour in cream cheese mixture. Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, then lower ovens temp to 350 and bake another 40 to 45 minutes.

It's really important to have your eggs and cream cheese at room temperature before you start mixing your ingredients.

Once you've mastered baking a basic cheesecake, you can start experimenting with adding flavors and different crusts.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Mmmmmm....RG your making me hungry.:yh_drool

You put much more effort into it then i do. They sound delicious!

My recipe is.

Jumbo eggs. (I like them BIG)

Miracle Whip. (I use it in cole slaw too,instead of mayo. Because it has vinegar in it already.)

Mustard.(1 or 2 teaspoons)

Relish. (about 2 or 3 teaspoons)

Onions.(just a dab,minced very fine)

Nature's Seasons.(by Morton,the salt company) It has a good blend of spices in it. Salt,pepper,sugar,onion,garlic,parsley,celery seeds,ect.

Mix, fill eggs, sprinkle with paprika.then EAT!:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Both of those sound delicious! I'm not into baking much but that cream cheese cake seems right up my alley, Sheryl.

Lisa, I never thought of using Miracle Whip. Good idea! Same with onions in the eggs- never would have thought to try that. I think eggs are on sale this week.....:rolleyes:

ps: I'm hungry too! :wah:
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

cheesecake is easy, and a basic one you can doctor up any way you want. I like to use strawberries or raspberries in the spring and summer. And when I'm to lazy to make a chocolate cheesecake, I'll just drizzle Hershey's syrup all over a plain cheesecake. :wah:

my son
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Sheryl;717486 wrote: cheesecake is easy, and a basic one you can doctor up any way you want. I like to use strawberries or raspberries in the spring and summer. And when I'm to lazy to make a chocolate cheesecake, I'll just drizzle Hershey's syrup all over a plain cheesecake. :wah:

:yh_drool:yh_drool:yh_drool!!!!
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

oh, great thread! :-6

here's my deviled egg recipe from the other thread:

I throw the yolks in a bowl and add finely chopped baby dill pickles (relish would work but pickles are tastier somehow....) a splash of pickle juice, a squirt of mustard, a couple of spoonfulls of mayo, and a sprinkle of paprika over them once they're filled.
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

Wow, can't believe I am in my mid-50's and have never made stuffed eggs. I am going to have to try out one of these recipes for my husband. (myself, I am not too crazy about hard boiled eggs, but they certainly do seem worth a try)
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

moonpie;717518 wrote: Wow, can't believe I am in my mid-50's and have never made stuffed eggs. I am going to have to try out one of these recipes for my husband. (myself, I am not too crazy about hard boiled eggs, but they certainly do seem worth a try)

oh, try a bite! :D It's different when they have all the flavors going on....:-6
cars

Post by cars »

If you like cookies, likely most recipies will be here. :)

(A friend sent them to me cause she knows I like cookies)

1-2-3 Cookies7 Layer CookiesAllie Nelson's Famous Snickerdoodle CookiesAlmond Crescent ShortbreadAmish Sugar CookiesAndies Candies CookiesAngel CrispsAngenetsApplesauce CookiesApricot Fold-OversAunt Edy's Molasses CrinklesAuntie Linda's Ginger GemsBakeless Dream CookiesBanana Drop CookiesBest Chocolate Chip Cookies in the WorldBiscottiBiscottiBlueberry CookiesBoiled Chocolate Oatmeal Drop CookiesBronwniesBrown Sugar ShortbreadBrownie CookiesBrownie DelightBrowniesBuccaneer SnowballsBuried Cherry CookiesButter CookiesButter Nut BallsButterballs
Butterscotch HaystacksC.O.P. CookiesCandy Cane CookiesCandy CookiesCaramel ShortbreadCheesecake BrowniesCherry BunsCherry CrownsCherry WinksChewiesChewy NoelsChinese Chews/HaystacksChocolate Chip Cookie BarsChocolate Chip CookiesChocolate Chip MeltawaysChocolate Chip Peanut Butter CookiesChocolate Christmas TreesChocolate Cream Cheese SquaresChocolate CrinklesChocolate Mint Snow-Top CookiesChocolate Oatmeal Cookies (no bake)Chocolate Snowball CookiesChocolate Streusel BarsChocolate Sundae CookiesChocolate Walnut Crumb BarsChoco-Scotch CrunchiesChoose A Cookie Dough RecipeChristmas CrackersChristmas Crunch BarsChristmas Ginger SnapsChristmas MacaroonsChristmas Mice CookiesChristmas Shaped CookiesChurch Window CookiesCoconut CookiesCongo SquaresCookie in a JarCorn Flakes CookiesCornflake Christmas WreathsCowboy Cookies (oatmeal)Cream Cheese Cookies with Apricot FillingCrème De Menthe Chocolate SquaresCrème WafersCrescent CookiesCrispy CrunchiesDate Nut BallsDate-nut Pinwheel CookiesDiabetic Peanut Butter CookiesDisgustingly Rich BrowniesDoodlesDouble chocolate chip cookiesDouble-Chocolate CrinklesEatmore CookiesEggnog CookiesElizabeth's Sugar CookiesElves Quick Fudge BrowniesEmily Dickinson's Gingerbread Cookie RecipeEm
ily's Best BrowniesFamous Oatmeal CookiesFiremen CookiesFluffy Shortbread CookiesForgotten CookiesFrosted Peanut Butter BrowniesFruit Cake CookiesFruitcake SquaresFry Pan CookiesGemsGinger CookiesGinger CrinklesGingerbread BabyGingerbread Cookies with Butter Cream IcingGingerbread MenGingerbread MenGinny's Gluten Free Chocolate Chip CookiesGlory's Golden Graham SquaresGlory's Sugar CookiesGramma Chapman's chocolate coconut dropsGrandma Elsie's Zimt (cinnamon) CookiesGrandma J's Butter CookiesGrandma Olson's Parkay CookiesGreat Grandmothers Sugar CookiesGum Drop CookiesGumdrop GemsHaystack CookiesHo-Ho BarsHoliday Cereal SnapsHoliday Chocolate Butter CookiesHoliday Raisin Walnut BarsHolly CookiesHungarian Cookies (Little Nut Rolls)Ice Box CookiesIrresistible Peanut Butter CookiesItalian CookiesJacob's Peppermint SnowballsJam BarsJessica's Famous BrowniesJessie's Chocolate Chip CookiesJubilee JumblesJuliet's Peanut Butter BlossomsJumbo Chocolate Chip CookiesKentucky ColonelsKiefle (cream cheese cookies with jam filling)KifflingsKiss CookiesLacy Swedish Almond WafersLemon Angel Bar CookiesLemon BarsLemon Cake CookiesLemon Cream Cheese CookiesLemon SquaresLinzer TartsLog Cabin CookiesLuscious Lemon SquaresM&M CookiesMagic Cookie BarsMelt in Your Mouth Cutout Sugar CookiesMelting ShortbreadMeme's Cream Cheese CookiesMilk Chocolate Florentine CookiesMincemeat CookiesMincemeat GoodiesMolasses CookiesMolasses Forest CookiesMolasses Sugar CookiesMom Mom's Crescent CookiesMom-Mom's Ginger CookiesMom's Nutmeg Sugar CookiesMom's Old Fashion "Puffy" Sugar CookiesMonster CookiesMoravian Christmas CookiesNana's Famous Soft Southern CookiesNitey Nite CookiesNo Bake Chocolate CookiesNo Bake Chocolate Oatmeal CookiesNo Bake CookiesNo Bake CookiesNo Bake Peanut Butter CookiesNo-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal CookiesNo-Bake CookiesNorwegian Sugar CookiesNut BallsOatmeal BarsOatmeal Chocolate Chip Nut CookiesOatmeal Coconut CrispsOatmeal CookiesOatmeal ScotchiesOld Fashioned Sugar CookiesOoey Gooey Caramel Chocolate DunkOoey Gooey SquaresOrange Slice CookiesParking Lot CookiesPeanut BlossomsPeanut Butter BarsPeanut Butter BlossomsPeanut Butter Cereal CookiesPeanut Butter ChewiesPeanut Butter Chocolate BarsPeanut Butter CookiesPeanut Butter CookiesPeanut butter fingersPeanut Butter ReindeerPeanut Butter SurprisesPeanut Marshmallow CookiesPecan Puff CookiesPeppermint SnowballsPeppernutsPersimmon CookiesPersimmon CookiesPetey's Yummy Spicy Almond ThinsPfeffernuessePffefferneuse CookiesPineapple Filled CookiesPizzellesPotato Chip CookiesPotato Flake CookiesPraline CookiesPraline StripsPterodactyl NestsPumpkin BarsPumpkin BarsPumpkin Chip CookiesPumpkin Chocolate Chip CookiesPumpkin CookiesQueen BiscuitsQuick CookiesRaised Sugar CookiesRaisin Filled Oatmeal BarsRaspberry Meringue Bars
Cars :)
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I got that email twice. Some good recipes there! :D

my son
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Yowza!! Thanks Cars!! :D
Peg

Post by Peg »

My nieces will only eat my deviled eggs.

Smash the egg yolks in a large baggie. Throw in some Miracle Whip, a few squeezes of mustard, a dash of pepper, and a splash of milk. Mix thoroughly and cut tip of bag. Squeeze into center of whites and throw the bag away.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Peg;717663 wrote: My nieces will only eat my deviled eggs.

Smash the egg yolks in a large baggie. Throw in some Miracle Whip, a few squeezes of mustard, a dash of pepper, and a splash of milk. Mix thoroughly and cut tip of bag. Squeeze into center of whites and throw the bag away.

Oh what a cool idea! It works like a cake decorating tube! Thanks Peg- that's a good tip. I never thought of adding milk. I'm going to become a HIPPO from trying everybody's egg recipes!! :wah:
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

And to think I use the fancy decorator thingy from Pampered chef and Peg uses a zip lock bag.....I knew she was the smarter one of the liter!:wah:

Okay...my deviled eggs are simple:

take eggs, slice in half

take yolks, put in bowl and crush fine

add mayo and mustard to taste

add a pinch of celery seed

and paprika is optional

And that's it....I am having deviled eggs this weekend and it is ALL Sunny's and RG's fault!!:p:rolleyes:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Our fault?! Haha!! :wah:

I'm going to try that celery seed, Wendy. That's a spice I haven't used in anything before. I'm going to be eating so many eggs I had better take extra cholesterol pills this week. :D
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I use celery seed in my potato salad :D

my son
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Ooooo potato salad!

NEW THREAD! (ha!) :wah:

We make ours weird apparently. The recipe comes from my German grandmother. Potatoes, celery, mayo, green onions and some salt. That's it. It's very bland but you get to taste the earthiness of the crunchy stuff. A few years ago I talked my mom into adding a little vinegar to it for some kick.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

WonderWendy3;717670 wrote: And to think I use the fancy decorator thingy from Pampered chef and Peg uses a zip lock bag.....I knew she was the smarter one of the liter!:wah:

Okay...my deviled eggs are simple:

take eggs, slice in half

take yolks, put in bowl and crush fine

add mayo and mustard to taste

add a pinch of celery seed

and paprika is optional

And that's it....I am having deviled eggs this weekend and it is ALL Sunny's and RG's fault!!:rolleyes:

we ALL are going to be eating deviled eggs this weekend I think! :D :wah:
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

here's 2 more of my creations, even my kids love them although they'll eat anything anyway. They even love broccoli! :D :-6

Sunny's mashed potato salad:

bake a bunch of potatoes (I microwave them)

peel and throw in a big bowl.

mince garlic and onion in the food processor and combine with potatoes, mustard and mayo, salt and whatever herbs I have on hand, and mash it all together and refridgerate until cold. :-6

Sunny's easy cole slaw:

combine bag of shredded cabbage with ranch dressing (I also add salt and a splash of vinegar for a little extra kick) and refridgerate for a few hours so the cabbage absorbs the flavors and 'softens' a bit. :-6
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

oh, this is too much fun! I told you all I love cooking!! :D

sunny's 'mexican' steak:

take one of those giant skinny steaks, dump a can of crushed/chopped tomatoes on it, some fresh chopped garlic, onion and cilantro and whatever amount of salt, pepper and herbs you prefer and seal in a foil packet or a covered pan and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes covered and maybe 15 minutes uncovered. It should come out super tender. I make it to put on tacos but it would be great on its own with some rice and beans or whatever on the side. :-6
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I love these, Sunny! I'm going to start writing these down. I too, love cooking! I especially want to try the potato salad!! :)
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Defiantly going to try to the steak recipe.

my son
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Sheryl;717914 wrote: Defiantly going to try to the steak recipe.

you all will probably have to tweak them a bit since I never measure anything or pay that much attention to cooking times. :o
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

i don't either. :wah: it's what makes it your recipe that no one can make quiet as good as you!

my son
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

sunny104;717922 wrote: you all will probably have to tweak them a bit since I never measure anything or pay that much attention to cooking times. :o
Thats the way I cook also. Amazingly most everything I cook comes out delish. Well sometimes the concoctions are a bust.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

it's funny, if I ever try and follow a recipe exactly it'll never come out right! I have to do my own thing.....:)

I guess that's why I'm not that great at baking. :o
watermark

Post by watermark »

I love deviled eggs. My daughter who never eats eggs to begin with will eat Deggs. MMMM... alls yours sounds good. Will try the balsamic vinegar and sugar with some thyme sprinkled on top red.

I make them with pickle juice and some minced pickles mayo etc.

How much would you sell the cookbook? I might buy one but there has got to be an index of recipes. My kid's group made one and there's no index, have to go by food/dish grouping, for me very cumbersome.

Oh you talk about potato salad. My mom who wasn't the chef of all chefs nevetheless made a potato salad I could eat all day long. All it was was potatoes, a few chopped eggs, chopped radishes, celery, green or reg onions, vinegar, sugar, salt, mayo, made it juicy and good. I make this with yogurt instead of mayo or mix half and half.

I'm looking for a German potato salad. Anyone have a good recipe?

Also looking for a Chinese salad I ate once at a potluck. Had finely shredded cabbage and something akin to ramen noodles but better in it. Never been able to find this recipe.

Happy eating everyone,

Erin
Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

Just to let you know, one of my receipts are going to be in the fall walmart cookbook. They let me know two months ago.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

watermark;718263 wrote:

How much would you sell the cookbook? I might buy one but there has got to be an index of recipes. My kid's group made one and there's no index, have to go by food/dish grouping, for me very cumbersome.

I'm not sure, Erin, I've been looking around at cookbook companies. I have found one that's a possibility but I'm still looking. I know I would like it spiral bound and the cheapest way is in black and white. Not sure how everyone else feels about that. An index is a good point! Thank you for telling me that- I had assumed it would just come that way, so I'm glad you said that!

Tater Tazz;718298 wrote: Just to let you know, one of my receipts are going to be in the fall walmart cookbook. They let me know two months ago.

That's great! What did you submit, Tazz?
observer1

Post by observer1 »

RedGlitter;717439 wrote: Thanks to Sunny for her Potluck thread! It gave me the idea to ask about your secret family recipes. I think most everyone has something special they like to make that might have a secret or special ingredient.

We were talking about devilled eggs in Sunny's thread so this is how I make my filling:

Well-mashed yolks to which I add enough mayo to make them creamy, then I add equal amounts (to taste) of red wine vinegar and sugar. I have used regular vinegar too which comes out fine but I just prefer red wine vinegar. I mix in a lot of paprika, enough to tint the yolk mix a bit orange. Then sometimes I will crush up some dried rosemary or basil into a powder and I'll sprinkle that wither in the mix or on top of the eggs. The rosemary is my favorite but basil will work in a pinch. Then...EAT THE EGGS!! :D

So tell us your secret recipes!!

My recipe for deviled eggs is very simple, but a family fave. I just boil my eggs, mix the yolks with a couple spoons of mayo & a good squeeze of mustard, to taste. Add salt & pepper. Fill the whites & sprinkle with paprika. They're nice & tangy! I used to make them for our family reunions & special occasions all the time! And never had leftovers either. :mad:
observer1

Post by observer1 »

My daughter makes a delicious macaroni salad! It's very similar to the one my father used to make. She boils the elbow macaroni. Boils a few eggs & cuts them up. Then she mixes the macaroni, eggs, diced celery, along with salt, pepper, mayo, & celery salt. It's sooo good!!
observer1

Post by observer1 »

I have 2 recipes to share:

Cabbage Stuff (affectionately named by myself & my daughter)

Cut up 1 lb of bacon & render in a medium pot on low/med low heat

Cut up a head of cabbage & add to the bacon

Cover & let cook, while you boil 1 box of pasta (I usually use rotini)

Drain pasta & mix all together

Serve & add soy sauce to individual servings

Bacon Spaghetti

Cut up 1 lb of bacon & fry (not crispy) in a frying pan

When bacon is done frying, take out of frying pan

Cut up 1 good size vidalia onion & fry in bacon grease

When it's see-through, add bacon back in

Add 1 large & 1 small can of diced tomatoes

I add minced garlic to the mix, kosher salt, & pepper

Let sauce bubble for a while (will not be a thick sauce)

Boil spaghetti & drain

Serve sauce over pasta
observer1

Post by observer1 »

Quick note...

Can ya tell I LOVE to cook??;)
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

All of those sound good!

I always add about a quarter cup of salt to the water when I boil eggs so their shells come off much easier. :)
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

The fresher the egg the harder the shell is to come off. If you buy your eggs a few days in advance, the egg shells are easier to remove after boiling them.

my son
observer1

Post by observer1 »

Sheryl;719343 wrote: The fresher the egg the harder the shell is to come off. If you buy your eggs a few days in advance, the egg shells are easier to remove after boiling them.

That's what I do.
lalalala

Post by lalalala »

thats a good tip
observer1

Post by observer1 »

observer1;719271 wrote: My daughter makes a delicious macaroni salad! It's very similar to the one my father used to make. She boils the elbow macaroni. Boils a few eggs & cuts them up. Then she mixes the macaroni, eggs, diced celery, along with salt, pepper, mayo, & celery salt. It's sooo good!!

Oops! I forgot that she also adds diced onions.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

observer1;719276 wrote: I have 2 recipes to share:

Cabbage Stuff (affectionately named by myself & my daughter)

Cut up 1 lb of bacon & render in a medium pot on low/med low heat

Cut up a head of cabbage & add to the bacon

Cover & let cook, while you boil 1 box of pasta (I usually use rotini)

Drain pasta & mix all together

Serve & add soy sauce to individual servings

Bacon Spaghetti

Cut up 1 lb of bacon & fry (not crispy) in a frying pan

When bacon is done frying, take out of frying pan

Cut up 1 good size vidalia onion & fry in bacon grease

When it's see-through, add bacon back in

Add 1 large & 1 small can of diced tomatoes

I add minced garlic to the mix, kosher salt, & pepper

Let sauce bubble for a while (will not be a thick sauce)

Boil spaghetti & drain

Serve sauce over pasta

yum! those sound good!! :yh_drool
observer1

Post by observer1 »

Can ya tell I love bacon??
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

couple of low fat recipes off me

chicken breasts..........slice a cut in the side and place in a piece of mozzerella or laughing cow cheese or 1 -2 oz cheese of your choice.

Wrap bacon around the chicken breasts and use a cocktail stick to keep it all in place... Roast in oven for around 20 mins...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twice baked Jacket potatoes

clean, medium-sized baking potato per person

10g butter

50g Cheddar cheese - grated

15ml (1 tablespoon) red pepper - de-seeded and diced

15ml (1 tablespoon) yellow pepper - de-seeded and diced

1 spring onion - finely chopped

1 fresh tomato - finely chopped

salt and black pepper

Heat the oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas 6.

Wash the potatoes and prick with a fork. Place on a baking tray and bake for one hour or until soft. or cheat a little and start them off in the microwave then Remove from the oven and cool slightly.

Cut the potato in half and hollow each side out using a tablespoon. Place the cooked potato in a mixing bowl and mash thoroughly.

Add the butter, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Stir in the red and yellow peppers, spring onion, tomato and half the grated cheese. Mix well.

Spoon the potato mixture back into the potato skins pressing down well with a tablespoon.

Place on the baking tray and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown

You can add any fillings, ham and cheese, corned beef and onion, boiled egg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Low fat chips

2lb / 908g medium sized Maris Piper potatoes

Fry Light spray

Crushed sea salt and malt vinegar (optional)

Method; Preheat the oven to 240oC/475oF/Gas 9. Peel the potatoes using a potato peeler and remove any blemishes or 'eyes'. Slice lengthwise into approx 0.5in/1cm thick rectangular chips.

Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the chips and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and leave aside for 10 minutes to dry.

Return the chips to the dry saucepan, cover with a lid and shake to 'rough up' the edges of the chips - this roughness is important to the texture of the chips.

Spray a metal baking tray with Fry Light. Transfer the chips to the tray, spray lightly with Fry Light and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown on all sides. Drain them on absorbent kitchen paper and serve with salt and vinegar.

I love these chips...yum yum:-6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Corned Beef Quiche

Ingredients;

12oz corned beef

1 chopped onion

3 eggs

8oz v.l.f. cottage cheese

seasoning to taste

Method;

Put corned beef in microwave first to soften and add chopped onion. Put on the base of flan dish and press down firm.

Beat eggs with cottage cheese and add seasoning then pour over corned beef base.

Cook for 30 mins or until golden brown at 190 deg c.

You can have hot or cold, Enjoy!

Variation;

You could add chopped veg to the egg & cheese mixture - mushrooms, peppers etc. Can need baking for longer. I also know someone who doesn't bother making a base, she just mixes the whole lot together, taste the same!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Curry in a Hurry

Fry some curry powder, onion and garlic in spray oil. Add prawns (or chicken) add a can of chopped tomatoes, puree, and a large tablespoon of branston pickle. This makes the best curry ever. It is the pickle that makes it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Yum! Thanks for keeping this thread going, you guys! I see good stuff here!!

:yh_drool
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Im not going to tell you !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Red

HI, for your devilled egg mix - take some mix & try some with horse radish.

I don't add it to all the mix, I'll seperate & put a different twist on some - with a slice of olive on top.

Or try some special deli mustard hot or mild into the mix - men love that junk..

Patsy
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

My Mother :-4 made the best potato salad imo....very simple ingredients and so tasty. I still make it today for parties, especially during the summer.

"Kay's Potato Salad"

1. Boil, Idaho's preferred, as many potatoes as needed. When done, slice and sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper a few tablespoons of sweet pickle juice.

2. Mix Hellmann's mayo and sour cream, equal amounts...fold into potatoe.

3. Before mixing in the mayo mixture you can add minced, sweet onions and some diced green and red peppers to add color and taste.

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

This is one of the best threads ever! I get so hungry reading it! That potato salad looks great! :)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

My Nana Katherine used to make 2 types of Irish potato pancakes on Friday nights....good memories. I'll paste 2 here that I use quite often.... My grandmother's pancakes were like these.

"FADGE"

Ingredients:

2 lb Unpeeled "old" potatoes

1 Egg, beaten

1/2 Stick butter

3 tb Flour

1 1/2 tb Chopped parsley

1 1/2 tb Chopped chives

1 1/2 tb Chopped lemon thyme

-(these three mixed, opt)

Creamy milk

Salt

Freshly ground pepper

Seasoned flour

Bacon fat or butter for

-frying

Boil the potatoes in their jackets, pull off the skins and mash

straight away.

Add the egg, butter, flour and herbs (if using) and mix well. Season

with plenty of salt and pepper, adding a few drops of creamy milk if

the mixture is too stiff.

Shape into a 1" round and then cut into eight pieces. Dip in seasoned

flour.

Bake on a griddle over an open fire or fry in bacon fat or melted

butter on a gentle heat. Cook the fadge until crusty and golden on

one side, then flip over and cook on the other side (about 4-5

minutes on each side).

Serve on its own on hot plates with a blob of butter melting on top.

"Boxte"

Ingredients:

1 cup raw potato, grated

1 cup cooked mashed potato

1 cup plain flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1 cup buttermilk

2 tablespoons butter

Directions:

Grate the potato into a bowl, and pour the buttermilk over it to keep it from turning brown. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat the egg in a mixing bowl. Add the sifted dry ingredients, grated potato, buttermilk and mashed potato, and mix well. The mixture should be the consistency of thick pancake batter. Add more buttermilk or sifted flour as needed.

Melt the butter on a griddle over medium heat. Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto the griddle, spreading it to about a 6-inch diameter. Brown griddle cakes on both sides.

***If you don't have buttermilk, I always add a tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of milk and leave it set for 10 minutes.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Kathy Ellen;721739 wrote: My Mother :-4 made the best potato salad imo....very simple ingredients and so tasty. I still make it today for parties, especially during the summer.

"Kay's Potato Salad"

1. Boil, Idaho's preferred, as many potatoes as needed. When done, slice and sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper a few tablespoons of sweet pickle juice.

2. Mix Hellmann's mayo and sour cream, equal amounts...fold into potatoe.

3. Before mixing in the mayo mixture you can add minced, sweet onions and some diced green and red peppers to add color and taste.

oh, I'm trying that! It sounds sooo good!! :yh_drool :D
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Nomad;721254 wrote: Im not going to tell you !

your secret is tin foil!

everything goes into the tin foil......

:D :wah:

Return to “The Kitchen”