Would you eat this?

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

After doing a few food threads, and thinking to myself how people may find some of the foods I love to be utterly discusting(Okra - Spinach etc. etc.).

I then couldn't help but to think about some really bizarre things that I myself wouldn't go near(Haggis and liverwurst for instance)...

So I'll post some things I have been reading about and ask if any of you would eat it...

I'll post a number of them from time to time, and try to give a brief description of it, and you can say whether you would eat it or not...

Kim Chee

(Korea) Fermented cabbage. The cabbage is soaked in a tub containing salt and red pepper. It is usually left for several weeks before serving, but can be stored for months in clay pots buried underground. Takes on a hot vinegar taste after fermentation

Dried bananas

(Brazil) They're black, wrinkled, dry and sweet. No refrigeration necessary.

Fried Dill Pickles

(USA South) Umm...the name speaks for itself.

Dulse

(Maritime Canada) Dried purple seaweed sold in Atlantic Canada at convenience stores. Should have bits of green algae, small stones, flotsam, and so on, adhering. Eaten as is with relish by the locals. Grotesquely disgusting. Probably poisonous. Possibly could be used with caution as a garden fertilizer.

I would have to say, that I would probably try the fried dill pickles, but as for the rest I wouldn't feed it to a goat.
Mystery

Would you eat this?

Post by Mystery »

Fried dill pickles are delicious! The rest of that stuff sounds disgusting :o
Carl44

Would you eat this?

Post by Carl44 »

K.Snyder;519246 wrote: After doing a few food threads, and thinking to myself how people may find some of the foods I love to be utterly discusting(Okra - Spinach etc. etc.).

I then couldn't help but to think about some really bizarre things that I myself wouldn't go near(Haggis and liverwurst for instance)...

So I'll post some things I have been reading about and ask if any of you would eat it...

I'll post a number of them from time to time, and try to give a brief description of it, and you can say whether you would eat it or not...

Kim Chee

(Korea) Fermented cabbage. The cabbage is soaked in a tub containing salt and red pepper. It is usually left for several weeks before serving, but can be stored for months in clay pots buried underground. Takes on a hot vinegar taste after fermentation

Dried bananas

(Brazil) They're black, wrinkled, dry and sweet. No refrigeration necessary.

Fried Dill Pickles

Dulse

(Maritime Canada) Dried purple seaweed sold in Atlantic Canada at convenience stores. Should have bits of green algae, small stones, flotsam, and so on, adhering. Eaten as is with relish by the locals. Grotequely disgusting. Probably poisonous. Possibly could be used with caution as a garden fertilizer. From: Robert Hughes.

I would have to say, that I would probably try the fried dill pickles, but as for the rest I wouldn't feed it to a goat.

i would rather chew my own eye out , my god man where did you get this menu off of a klingon bird of prey ....yuk
Sheryl

Would you eat this?

Post by Sheryl »

the Kim Chee doesn't sound bad, but I like saurkraut. :o

I've tried fried dill pickles, not my thing.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
YZGI

Would you eat this?

Post by YZGI »

I would do the pickles. Of course I would gnaw on an old work boot if it were deep fried.
koan

Would you eat this?

Post by koan »

I used to put dulse flakes onto my food instead of salt. It's really quite good.
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Check this one out...

Ambuyat

(Brunei) The natives of the area use every part of the Sago palm tree. One interesting part is that they will take the center of the trunk, plane it into sawdust, boil the sawdust in water for several hours, until it has the same appearance and texture as rubber cement, and serve. It is eaten with a kind of forked chopstick. You are supposed to roll it on, like pasta on a fork, dip it in some peanut or other flavored sauce, since it is almost tasteless by itself, and swallow it. It is useless to chew and you won't be able to breath as long as it is in your mouth. You must eat it while it is hot before it dries into a hard plastic. It actually isn't that bad, and they say that you won't gain weight from it since it is mostly water. It not only seems like you are eating glue... you are, they also use the same stuff to stuck roofing materials onto the top of their houses
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;519267 wrote: It is useless to chew and you won't be able to breath as long as it is in your mouth. You must eat it while it is hot before it dries into a hard plastic. It actually isn't that bad, and they say that you won't gain weight from it since it is mostly water. It not only seems like you are eating glue... you are, they also use the same stuff to stuck roofing materials onto the top of their houses

Wow, that's classic.
minks

Would you eat this?

Post by minks »

I would try all of it, but may not like it all.... never form an opinion unless trying something first....

How is that for a lame motto.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

minks;519272 wrote: I would try all of it, but may not like it all.... never form an opinion unless trying something first....

How is that for a lame motto.

Wait until I post the good stuff. :wah:
Patsy Warnick

Would you eat this?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Snyder

I've had all of the above. Liked some more than others naturally

And I love Liverwurst

Depending on how everything is prepared - I never liked Oysters, but oysters put directly on a open fire pit/barbecue - wonderful.

Have you ever tried snails? They're wonderful

Have you ever tried Octopus? - little tough - OK

Have you ever tried snake? - OK, I wouldn't go out of my way for it - nor would I spit it out . just OK

I'm not a picky eater - I enjoy trying different things

Patsy
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

After reading a little bit about "exotic foods", I had read actually that the Chinese find sour cream, cheese, sour kraut, and salty beans to be repulsive much like say a westerner would find them eating live squid and things of that nature. I thought about that, and cheese and sour cream are made rather strangely, but being used to it, I still like them...It made me think of how different peoples opinions would be with the simplicity of a custom.
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Patsy Warnick;519310 wrote: Snyder

I've had all of the above. Liked some more than others naturally

And I love Liverwurst

Depending on how everything is prepared - I never liked Oysters, but oysters put directly on a open fire pit/barbecue - wonderful.

Have you ever tried snails? They're wonderful

Have you ever tried Octopus? - little tough - OK

Have you ever tried snake? - OK, I wouldn't go out of my way for it - nor would I spit it out . just OK

I'm not a picky eater - I enjoy trying different things

Patsy

Wouldn't eat snake unless I were starving

never tried snail and probably wouldn't eat it if I were starving. :wah:

Most assuredly wouldn't try octopus if I had a gun to my head...although if I were starving I would probably eat it,..but it would have to be cooked.
minks

Would you eat this?

Post by minks »

K did you just slap my wrists there :P

Oooo snails, I tried them for the first time on New Years Eve, I kind of liked them.

Things I have tried and did not like

headcheese

blood sausage

anything that has an ingredient in it I already do not like ie... mushy peas (I do not like peas)

Blue Cheese sorry that smells like dirty feet, and tastes horrible.

I dunno I find food to be an adventure....

― Mae West
fisher

Would you eat this?

Post by fisher »

Dulse

(Maritime Canada) Dried purple seaweed sold in Atlantic Canada at convenience stores. Should have bits of green algae, small stones, flotsam, and so on, adhering. Eaten as is with relish by the locals. Grotequely disgusting. Probably poisonous. Possibly could be used with caution as a garden fertilizer. From: Robert Hughes.

I am form the Maritimes and I have never heard of this before.
A witch will get a better grip on the broom if she is without panties!
minks

Would you eat this?

Post by minks »

fisher;519329 wrote: Dulse

I am form the Maritimes and I have never heard of this before.

WHAT.... even I have and I am no where near an ocean sheesh where have you been? tee hee hee

― Mae West
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Would you eat this?

Duck Feet

(China) Much more tasty than chicken feet are duck feet: more cartilage to chew on. In China, they are a delicious treat, and guests get all the delicious treats put in their bowl by the host. Goes nicely with rice and soy sauce.

Balut

(Phillipines) A delicacy of Southeast Asia and especially the Philippines, a balut is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a hearty snack, balut are mostly sold by street vendors at night. Their high protein content is complimentary to the consumption of beer. The word balut roughly translates to mean "wrapped"

Rook Pie

(Wales) Self-explanatory. A rook is a large black bird in the crow family, a bit smaller than a common crow. Four-and-twenty blackbirds in a pie...
fisher

Would you eat this?

Post by fisher »

minks;519333 wrote: WHAT.... even I have and I am no where near an ocean sheesh where have you been? tee hee hee

lol. Maybe we call it something different I am not sure. But I am not familiar with that product at all.
Sheryl

Would you eat this?

Post by Sheryl »

No, no, and no!

my son
Patsy Warnick

Would you eat this?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Snyder

Your spoiled

Minks - I find food a adventure also. I love to travel - haven't been to many places, tried snails in Paris - loved them..

Have you tried pickled pigs feet?

Patsy
Sheryl

Would you eat this?

Post by Sheryl »

I've seen the pickled pigs feet around here, have never really wanted to try them. Have tried pickled eggs, and bleh!

my son
minks

Would you eat this?

Post by minks »

Patsy Warnick;519343 wrote: Snyder

Your spoiled

Minks - I find food a adventure also. I love to travel - haven't been to many places, tried snails in Paris - loved them..

Have you tried pickled pigs feet?

Patsy

Wow same with me, I enjoy the travel and the new foods.

Pickled pigs feat, yes didn't think much of them...they look gross too... I was little when I tried them.... (my european upbringing had me eating all kinds of oddities)

You ever had pickled eggs?

Goat?

Akee? (this is interesting as it is a veggie, in one stage is is poisoness, in another stage of ripen it is very edible and good. You cook it up like scrambled eggs.

Liver now there is something many folks don't like and won't even try....

― Mae West
Sheryl

Would you eat this?

Post by Sheryl »

They don't make enough ketchup in the world for me to try liver again.

I've had goat, didn't really care for it. Was really stringy.

I've had calf brains and scrambled eggs. Wouldn't eat it now, but apparantly it was my fave when I was a kid. :-2

my son
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

minks;519350 wrote:

I'll eat chicken gizzards, but as for the stronger tasting livers I don't like.
fisher

Would you eat this?

Post by fisher »

minks;519350 wrote: Wow same with me, I enjoy the travel and the new foods.

Pickled pigs feat, yes didn't think much of them...they look gross too... I was little when I tried them.... (my european upbringing had me eating all kinds of oddities)

You ever had pickled eggs?

Goat?

Akee? (this is interesting as it is a veggie, in one stage is is poisoness, in another stage of ripen it is very edible and good. You cook it up like scrambled eggs.

I have tried pickled pigs feet ...I was not crazy for them but it was one of my fathers favorite dish.

Liver is my of my wife's favorite dish.
minks

Would you eat this?

Post by minks »

K.Snyder;519357 wrote: I'll eat chicken gizzards, but as for the stronger tasting livers I don't like.

my mom puts turkey gizzards into her stuffing

Liver hmmmmmm

I do like it....

― Mae West
Patsy Warnick

Would you eat this?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Nothing went to waste in our house growing up - gizzards etc. all were used/eaten.

I love chicken / turkey hearts

Patsy
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Would you eat this?

Tarantula

(Cambodia)The practice began in the days of the Khmer Rouge, when food was scarce, but apparently the locals developed rather a taste for the furry 8-legged arachnids and now they still form a major part of the towns dietary intake. Hundreds of these spiders are hunted, cooked and sold everyday in 'fast food' arrangements.

Fried Crickets

(Philippines)

Fried Spiders

(Thailand) - Taking big hairy spiders and frying them in a wok. They're a popular snack.

Water Bugs

(Thailand) This thing looks like a giant black cockroach, but with harder shell. It's highly priced for the aroma, and it's used in cooking.
minks

Would you eat this?

Post by minks »

Patsy Warnick;519368 wrote: Nothing went to waste in our house growing up - gizzards etc. all were used/eaten.

I love chicken / turkey hearts

Patsy

a little tough but we had them in the dressing too And same here nothing was wasted.

Pigs liver is yummy boiled then sliced and lighty salted.

― Mae West
Sheryl

Would you eat this?

Post by Sheryl »

No thanks, I don't think I could eat bugs.

my son
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Sink your teeth in a nice elegant meal of rats.

Grilled Rats Bordeaux Style (Entrecote à la bordelaise)

(France) Alcoholic rats inhabiting wine cellars are skinned and eviscerated, brushed with a thick sauce of olive oil and crushed shallots, and grilled over a fire of broken wine barrels.

In West Africa, however, rats are a major item of diet. the giant rat (Cricetomys), the cane rat (Thryonomys), the common house mouse, and other species of rats and mice are all eaten. According to a United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization report, they now comprise of over 50 percent of the locally produced meat eaten in some parts of Ghana. Between December 1968 and June 1970, 258,206 pounds of cane-rat meat alone were sold in one market in Accra! This is a local recipe that shows the South American influence on West African cuisine.

Stewed Cane Rat

Skin and eviscerate the rat and split it lengthwise. Fry until brown in a mixture of butter and peanut oil. Cover with water, add tomatoes or tomato purée, hot red peppers, and salt. Simmer the rat until tender and serve with rice.

Stuffed Dormice / Ancient Rome

Prepare a stuffing of dormouse meat or pork, pepper, pine nuts, broth, asafoetida, and some garum (substitute anchovy paste.) Stuff the mice and sew them up. Bake them in an oven on a tile.

Roasted Field Mice (Raton de campo asado) / Mexico

Skin and eviscerate field mice. Skewer them and roast over an open fire or coals. These are probably great as hors d'oeuvres with margaritas or "salty dogs."

Mice in Cream (Souris à la crème)

Skin, gut and wash some fat mice without removing their heads. Cover them in a pot with ethyl alcohol and marinate 2 hours. Cut a piece of salt pork or sowbelly into small dice and cook it slowly to extract the fat. Drain the mice, dredge them thoroughly in a mixture of flour, pepper, and salt, and fry slowly in the rendered fat for about 5 minutes. Add a cup of alcohol and 6 to 8 cloves, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Prepare a cream sauce, transfer the sautéed mice to it, and warm them in it for about 10 minutes before serving.
minks

Would you eat this?

Post by minks »

K.Snyder;519376 wrote: Sink your teeth in a nice elegant meal of rats.

Grilled Rats Bordeaux Style (Entrecote à la bordelaise)

(France) Alcoholic rats inhabiting wine cellars are skinned and eviscerated, brushed with a thick sauce of olive oil and crushed shallots, and grilled over a fire of broken wine barrels.

In West Africa, however, rats are a major item of diet. the giant rat (Cricetomys), the cane rat (Thryonomys), the common house mouse, and other species of rats and mice are all eaten. According to a United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization report, they now comprise of over 50 percent of the locally produced meat eaten in some parts of Ghana. Between December 1968 and June 1970, 258,206 pounds of cane-rat meat alone were sold in one market in Accra! This is a local recipe that shows the South American influence on West African cuisine.

Stewed Cane Rat

Skin and eviscerate the rat and split it lengthwise. Fry until brown in a mixture of butter and peanut oil. Cover with water, add tomatoes or tomato purée, hot red peppers, and salt. Simmer the rat until tender and serve with rice.

Stuffed Dormice / Ancient Rome

Prepare a stuffing of dormouse meat or pork, pepper, pine nuts, broth, asafoetida, and some garum (substitute anchovy paste.) Stuff the mice and sew them up. Bake them in an oven on a tile.

Roasted Field Mice (Raton de campo asado) / Mexico

Skin and eviscerate field mice. Skewer them and roast over an open fire or coals. These are probably great as hors d'oeuvres with margaritas or "salty dogs."

Mice in Cream (Souris à la crème)

Skin, gut and wash some fat mice without removing their heads. Cover them in a pot with ethyl alcohol and marinate 2 hours. Cut a piece of salt pork or sowbelly into small dice and cook it slowly to extract the fat. Drain the mice, dredge them thoroughly in a mixture of flour, pepper, and salt, and fry slowly in the rendered fat for about 5 minutes. Add a cup of alcohol and 6 to 8 cloves, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Prepare a cream sauce, transfer the sautéed mice to it, and warm them in it for about 10 minutes before serving.

*raises hand* Would these be rats raised on say a rat farm?? Under controlled circumstances? Or just the rats running rampant everywhere, I am concerned with desease....

― Mae West
Mystery

Would you eat this?

Post by Mystery »

K.Snyder;519370 wrote: Would you eat this?

Tarantula

(Cambodia)The practice began in the days of the Khmer Rouge, when food was scarce, but apparently the locals developed rather a taste for the furry 8-legged arachnids and now they still form a major part of the towns dietary intake. Hundreds of these spiders are hunted, cooked and sold everyday in 'fast food' arrangements.

Fried Crickets

(Philippines)

Fried Spiders

(Thailand) - Taking big hairy spiders and frying them in a wok. They're a popular snack.

Water Bugs

(Thailand) This thing looks like a giant black cockroach, but with harder shell. It's highly priced for the aroma, and it's used in cooking.

I don't go near spiders dead or alive, and can't even fathom why the heck anybody'd eat them
minks

Would you eat this?

Post by minks »

K.Snyder;519370 wrote: Would you eat this?

Tarantula

Fried Crickets

(Philippines)

Fried Spiders

Water Bugs

ya know so much of "eating" is seeing and smelling, I wonder what they would smell like???? I dunno if I could eat the above to be honest.

― Mae West
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Well, there're some really nice foods here - I am not keen on the below, though:

Fried Crickets (Philippines)

(I haven't had these, but if they are anything like locusts then they will be revolting)

Also:

Calves feet

Pigs trotters.

Duck feet

(I thought that the idea of the above was to simmer them for ages to gelatinise

them? haven't tried duck feet, but I assume they're of a genre)

Brains

Balut (Phillipines)

(eggs with beaks, no thank you - however, they don't seem to be widely eaten

by the local populace, either)

Crabs, lobsters, shellfish generally

(it is unfair to eat these)

I have never tried:

Water Bugs (Thailand)

(I do not think I will bother)

Like everything else, I would of course eat these if hungry, but hope never to need to!
minks

Would you eat this?

Post by minks »

Bill Sikes;519388 wrote: Well, there're some really nice foods here - I am not keen on the below, though:

Fried Crickets (Philippines)

(I haven't had these, but if they are anything like locusts then they will be revolting)

Also:

Calves feet

Pigs trotters.

Duck feet

(I thought that the idea of the above was to simmer them for ages to gelatinise

them? haven't tried duck feet, but I assume they're of a genre)

Brains

Balut (Phillipines)

(eggs with beaks, no thank you - however, they don't seem to be widely eaten

by the local populace, either)

Crabs, lobsters, shellfish generally

(it is unfair to eat these)

I have never tried:

Water Bugs (Thailand)

(I do not think I will bother)

Like everything else, I would of course eat these if hungry, but hope never to need to!

good point there Bill

― Mae West
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

minks;519371 wrote: Pigs liver is yummy boiled then sliced and lighty salted.

*Boiled*??? Pshaw. Rolled in flour and black pepper, and lightly fried.
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

minks;519381 wrote: *raises hand* Would these be rats raised on say a rat farm?? Under controlled circumstances? Or just the rats running rampant everywhere, I am concerned with desease....

I would imagine in say Ghana they may be farmed but from the rest of it, it seems like they are just eaten,..well...I suppose when caught...

As for the "Grilled Rats Bordeaux Style", It sounded to me like they captured the rats that had been dwelling in the wine sellers and eaten...They really enjoy their wine, that's for sure. :yh_sick
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

K.Snyder;519337 wrote: Rook Pie

(Wales) Self-explanatory. A rook is a large black bird in the crow family, a bit smaller than a common crow. Four-and-twenty blackbirds in a pie...

Wales? I wonder why they've got the credit. Rook pie is quite OK, but use the

breast and drumstick only.

What about other vermin? Rabbit (Wild, NOT pet, CG!)? Badger? Muntjac deer (I

won't include these as game, although I suppose they might be)?
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Durian fruit is supposed by some to taste frightful, but it's OK really.
Fibonacci

Would you eat this?

Post by Fibonacci »

K.Snyder;519246 wrote:

Kim Chee

Fried Dill Pickles

Kim Chee is actually pretty good. I haav a cousin who was stationed in Korea. He brought some back with him. I did.nt think I would like it at first but I Did.

Fried diil pickles are the greatest.
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Richard Bell

Would you eat this?

Post by Richard Bell »

K.Snyder;519313 wrote: After reading a little bit about "exotic foods", I had read actually that the Chinese find sour cream, cheese, sour kraut, and salty beans to be repulsive

As far as dairy products go, most of the world's adult population has a lactose intolerance to one degree or another.

Eating dairy is mostly a Euroculture thing.
Richard Bell

Would you eat this?

Post by Richard Bell »

Good to the last "drop" ??

From Wikipedia :

Kopi Luwak or Civet coffee is coffee made from coffee cherries which have been eaten by and passed through the digestive tract of the Common Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus). The animals gorge on the ripe berries, and excrete partially-digested beans in their feces, which are then harvested for sale. This process takes place on the islands of Sumatra, Java and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago, in the Philippines (where the product is called Kape Alamid), in the country of Vietnam, and the coffee estates of south India.

Kopi Luwak is the most expensive coffee in the world, selling up to $600 USD per pound, and is sold mainly in Japan and United States, but it is increasingly becoming available elsewhere, though supplies are limited.

Yes, SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED! ORDER NOW !!
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Richard Bell;519414 wrote: As far as dairy products go, most of the world's adult population has a lactose intolerance to one degree or another.

Eating dairy is mostly a Euroculture thing.

Now I want some cheese on toast, and it's *your* fault.

Shall I have vintage cheddar, or stilton? Mumble mumble dribble....
Richard Bell

Would you eat this?

Post by Richard Bell »

Bill Sikes;519418 wrote:

Shall I have vintage cheddar....

Not much call for it in these parts, squire....:D
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Bill Sikes;519408 wrote: Wales? I wonder why they've got the credit.

Would it be more accurate to say all of England?
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Richard Bell;519417 wrote: Good to the last "drop" ??

From Wikipedia :

Yes, SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED! ORDER NOW !!

I had actually read about that somewhere a while ago...
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Pinky;519424 wrote: I'll give most things a try, as long as they're not covered in cheese!

Do you eat sour cream Pinky?

Return to “The Kitchen”