Our Dog Sally

Discussions about your pets!
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Our Dog Sally

Post by tude dog »

Wasn't long ago we had to put our Labrador down. The Mrs and I always had a dog or two around so it was only a matter of time before we got another.

What we wanted was an older dog that we would outlive. After some time we the local Humane Society referred us to a couple who for whatever reason felt they could not keep this 10 yr old sweetheart.

That was her fourth owner. Sally has cataracts and is all but blind. We took her and found she is such a nice and loving dog.

Didn't take long for us to decide to fix the eyes. Made an appointment to have her eyes fixed when the wife took her to a local vet for a bath. The vet did a blood test and we found she has heartworms.

OK, so we get the medicine and it will take at least three months to clear the problem.

Good thing we didn't tell Sally. It's supposed to be a surprise anyway. Can't wait to watch her as she adapts to the world of sight.

The other day I was walking her and it was a sight to behold. A heard of sheep come rushing over. They followed us awhile as Sally paid them no nevermind.

Next day took the phone but because of the midday Sun couldn't see the screen, FAIL.

Next day early facing the east faired better but caused problems.

Next day cloudy still having problems with the phone screen.

OK, first time I have done such a thing so please be kind.

This is what I have to share with ya all.



What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Momus
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:11 am

Our Dog Sally

Post by Momus »

Congratulate yourself. A human who makes sacrifices for another species in their time of need, is the only human i wish to know and the only humans who warrant space on this earth. Those who do not understand this, are the losers. You will be rewarded with the love and trust from your deeds. Well done that man.
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

Our Dog Sally

Post by gmc »

I've got two dogs that if off the lead would be over that fence and after the sheep and not in a nice way despite one being a border collie. What's that noise in the background, insects?
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15987
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Our Dog Sally

Post by Bryn Mawr »

A lucky dog to have such caring owners - may she repay you a hundred times over
User avatar
magentaflame
Posts: 2988
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Victoria, Australia

Our Dog Sally

Post by magentaflame »

A lab who doesnt care about sheep? Youre on a winner there. Glad to hear shes getting better.

Thats actually pretty cool.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Our Dog Sally

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1500967 wrote: I've got two dogs that if off the lead would be over that fence and after the sheep and not in a nice way despite one being a border collie.[/url]

I use to let my last dog off the lead and she would charge up to the fence and back off. She wasn't much into jumping as our back yard has only a 3' high chain link fence. The dog we had before her was an English Pointer who would just fly over the fence. Never went far as I was always around to call her back and she was just as happy to comply.

What's that noise in the background, insects?


The wind. Seems to make more noise on the phone receiver.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Our Dog Sally

Post by tude dog »

Momus;1500966 wrote: Congratulate yourself. A human who makes sacrifices for another species in their time of need, is the only human i wish to know and the only humans who warrant space on this earth. Those who do not understand this, are the losers. You will be rewarded with the love and trust from your deeds. Well done that man.


Congrats belong to Mrs. Dog. She is the one with all the compassion which motivates me.

It is really going to be great to see Sally first see, hardly waiting.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Our Dog Sally

Post by tude dog »

magentaflame;1500975 wrote: A lab who doesnt care about sheep? Youre on a winner there. Glad to hear shes getting better.

Thats actually pretty cool.


She can't see the sheep. The first time they came by Sally just sat there looking in their direction. I am sure in the future she will act according to her dog instincts. Unfortunately, in three months I don't expect the sheep to be there. They aren't kept there year round.

I don't know the reason the rancher moves them to or from there.

Maybe someday I'll get a chance to ask the rancher about that.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Our Dog Sally

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1500971 wrote: A lucky dog to have such caring owners - may she repay you a hundred times over


Wife and I have had a number of dogs, always an adventure.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
minks
Posts: 26281
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:58 pm

Our Dog Sally

Post by minks »

pets bring out the best in us humans.

Tude how lovely for your pooch.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Our Dog Sally

Post by AnneBoleyn »

AW! Absolutely beautiful, tude. I like your voice. I like you, the wife, the dog. Wish I lived in such a soothing, natural place.
ZAP
Posts: 3081
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Our Dog Sally

Post by ZAP »

tude dog;1500982 wrote: She can't see the sheep. The first time they came by Sally just sat there looking in their direction. I am sure in the future she will act according to her dog instincts. Unfortunately, in three months I don't expect the sheep to be there. They aren't kept there year round.

I don't know the reason the rancher moves them to or from there.

Maybe someday I'll get a chance to ask the rancher about that.


When I lived in Wyoming the sheep ranchers moved the sheep to let them graze. Here in the Imperial Valley which has a huge amount of agriculture, they bring in sheep to clear a field, getting it ready to re-plant. They bring them in in truckloads. Someone told me that most of the sheep are white but the rancher will put one black one in for so many white ones, i.e. 25-50, whatever the agreement with the farmer is.

That makes it easier to count.

Sally is a very lucky dog to have you two caring people.
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Our Dog Sally

Post by tude dog »

minks;1500988 wrote: pets bring out the best in us humans.

Tude how lovely for your pooch.


Wouldn't bother if I didn't receive some pleasure from it, like keeping the wife off my back.:lips:
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Our Dog Sally

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1500989 wrote: AW! Absolutely beautiful, tude. I like your voice.


That is my dog talk voice. :) Not how I talk to my wife, except in jest.

AnneBoleyn;1500989 wrote: I like you, the wife, the dog.


That is sweet.

AnneBoleyn;1500989 wrote: Wish I lived in such a soothing, natural place.


Yea well, we have hot and humid summers and freezing cold winters. Natural isn't always all that it's cracked up to be. We are happy to be here.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
ZAP
Posts: 3081
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Our Dog Sally

Post by ZAP »

tude dog;1500997 wrote: That is my dog talk voice. :) Not how I talk to my wife, except in jest.



That is sweet.



Yea well, we have hot and humid summers and freezing cold winters. Natural isn't always all that it's cracked up to be. We are happy to be here.


Are you 'Home On The Range'?
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Our Dog Sally

Post by tude dog »

ZAP;1500992 wrote: When I lived in Wyoming the sheep ranchers moved the sheep to let them graze. Here in the Imperial Valley which has a huge amount of agriculture, they bring in sheep to clear a field, getting it ready to re-plant. They bring them in in truckloads.


In this field, it is only used a few months of the year. Rest of the time nothing.

ZAP;1500992 wrote: Someone told me that most of the sheep are white but the rancher will put one black one in for so many white ones, i.e. 25-50, whatever the agreement with the farmer is.


You know what, in that video I made there was one black.



That makes it easier to count.

ZAP;1500992 wrote: Sally is a very lucky dog to have you two caring people.




We are lucky to have that sweetheart.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Our Dog Sally

Post by tude dog »

ZAP;1500998 wrote: Are you 'Home On The Range'?


LOL

What a coincidence.

Just last Tuesday I was driving to an auto dealer in Nebraska and passed within one mile of Home on the Range Cabin
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
ZAP
Posts: 3081
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Our Dog Sally

Post by ZAP »

tude dog;1501000 wrote: LOL

What a coincidence.

Just last Tuesday I was driving to an auto dealer in Nebraska and passed within one mile of Home on the Range Cabin


I won some free doughnuts when I was about 9 years old for singing this song on an amateur show.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”