Breed All About It!

Discussions about your pets!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

This breed....hint.

two words. first starts with an A and the second with an M.

Attached files
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I know, so I won't spoil it.

Our next-door neighbor just a month or so back brought one home. He was just a bit bigger than Pitstop then. He is already tripled in size.

Good to see you, Lady J
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

Lady J;1487010 wrote: Ok what breed is this? Her name is Goldie and she is a retired show dog who won many ribbons.

Collie?
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Alaskan Malemute.

Originally bred by native tribes in the Alaskan and Yukon regions and used to haul heavy loads across arctic and subarctic terrains.

Smart critters, with a sense of humor and a lot of mischief.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1487073 wrote: Collie?

Yep! You got it Four Parts. Goldie is a Collie and an award winning show dog to boot!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1487083 wrote: Alaskan Malemute.

Originally bred by native tribes in the Alaskan and Yukon regions and used to haul heavy loads across arctic and subarctic terrains.

Smart critters, with a sense of humor and a lot of mischief.

Lars....you are 100% right; especially about the mischief part....they also like to get in tuffs at the Dpk from time to time. They like cold weather and that will be here sooner than I care to think about! But the dogs will love it!
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

On a personal note. we thought we were going to lose Pitstop last month.

She developed Pancreatitis. She was in severe pain and quit eating. The vet took blood and told us what was going on. Gave here a shot of antibiotics, and some pain meds. We put the pain med in her water, because it was the only way we could get them in.

After a week, she got better, and started eating again. The Vet said we had been feeding her too much meat and probably too much fat. So we changed her diet when she started eating again.

Instead of Beef and pork and Bison, which was about all she would actually eat. we started feeding her Chicken with lots of veggies and Brown rice, and cutting back her volume of food, as well.

She has been happy with her new diet and lost half a pound. Vet still wants her to lose another pound.

So remember, dogs need their veggies, too.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1487098 wrote: On a personal note. we thought we were going to lose Pitstop last month.

She developed Pancreatitis. She was in severe pain and quit eating. The vet took blood and told us what was going on. Gave here a shot of antibiotics, and some pain meds. We put the pain med in her water, because it was the only way we could get them in.

After a week, she got better, and started eating again. The Vet said we had been feeding her too much meat and probably too much fat. So we changed her diet when she started eating again.

Instead of Beef and pork and Bison, which was about all she would actually eat. we started feeding her Chicken with lots of veggies and Brown rice, and cutting back her volume of food, as well.

She has been happy with her new diet and lost half a pound. Vet still wants her to lose another pound.

So remember, dogs need their veggies, too.

I certainly hope that things have turned around for Pitstop!

My dog loves veggies!!! His favorites are baby carrots & celery, so you may want to see if Pitstop cares for them. He also like raw green beans & strawberries. You might also want to try partially cooked beets as they are excellent for animals. :)
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Lady J;1489777 wrote: I certainly hope that things have turned around for Pitstop!

My dog loves veggies!!! His favorites are baby carrots & celery, so you may want to see if Pitstop cares for them. He also like raw green beans & strawberries. You might also want to try partially cooked beets as they are excellent for animals. :)

Hi, Lady J! Good to hear from you again.

Yes, she is doing much better. Doesn't like Celery, but baby carrots, quartered are her new favorite chewy food. we now take a bit of leftover steak or burger and mix in with the veggies and she will clean her plate.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

I have a new breed....this is one I never heard of till he showed up at the Dpk (dog park). His name is Pepper and he is 5 months old. He is a Swedish Vallhund (known as "Västgötaspets" in Sweden, after the Swedish county of Västergötland). This breed is still relatively rare, being saved from extinction during the 1940s. The breed originated during the age of Vikings, more than 1,000 years ago. It was developed for use as a drover and herder of cattle.

Swedish Vallhund Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club

Attached files
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1489778 wrote: Hi, Lady J! Good to hear from you again.

Yes, she is doing much better. Doesn't like Celery, but baby carrots, quartered are her new favorite chewy food. we now take a bit of leftover steak or burger and mix in with the veggies and she will clean her plate.

Good to hear from you too Lars!

Glad to hear Pitstop is doing better...you should really keep away from human food; it is so processed and seasoned. If you want to feed her meat you might look into raw food, after all that is what they ate many years ago & there are plenty of high quality raw foods on the market now a days. There are also many receipts for cooking your own dog food which is healthy.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Here is another....since I haven't been around much.

His name is Junior! :wah:

Any guesses?

Attached files
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Lady J;1489780 wrote: Good to hear from you too Lars!

Glad to hear Pitstop is doing better...you should really keep away from human food; it is so processed and seasoned. If you want to feed her meat you might look into raw food, after all that is what they ate many years ago & there are plenty of high quality raw foods on the market now a days. There are also many receipts for cooking your own dog food which is healthy.

We pretty much cook all her food from scratch. Have done so since she was a pup. Though we catered to her tastes a bit too much for a while.

Tonight's dinner was baked potato, Cauliflower, Carrot, Broccoli, Brown Rice, and little bit of my Bison burger. She never cares for raw meat. She does prefer it about medium rare. Besides, you never really know what kinda bugs you'll find in raw meat these days.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

British Bulldog ?

LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

You probably got the "English" part correct. But that critter has more leg than any Bulldog I ever saw.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Breed All About It!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

We're looking after a waif and stray at the moment that my youngest daughter brought home whilst they're looking for its owner.

It's a Staffie bitch about five or six years old and about half as much again too heavy (weighing in at just over twenty kilos / forty five pounds) but it's obviously been very well looked after and trained.

She's settling in well so far ...
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Well I am going to step out on the limb and guess English Mastiff.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Bryn Mawr;1489815 wrote: We're looking after a waif and stray at the moment that my youngest daughter brought home whilst they're looking for its owner.

It's a Staffie bitch about five or six years old and about half as much again too heavy (weighing in at just over twenty kilos / forty five pounds) but it's obviously been very well looked after and trained.

She's settling in well so far ...

I hope you find her owner soon! Very kind of you and your daughter to take her in.....I would visit some local vets and take the dog to see if she is micro-chipped. They do that there I would think.

The Owners are probably frantic over her disappearance.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1489787 wrote: British Bulldog ?

Thanks FourPart for the try....I appreciate you reading the post! But nope! Not quite.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1489816 wrote: Well I am going to step out on the limb and guess English Mastiff.

Almost Lars!! It is a Mastiff but a Bull Mastiff. Some many ask what is the difference. Most of it is personality and looks. Thanks for the reply!

"The largest of the breed is the English version, sometimes weighing over 200 pounds. The only major difference between the Bull and English Mastiff is that the English will look considerably stockier and may be upwards of 30 inches tall, while the Bull is usually no taller than 27 inches. There is debate over which of the two is the original Mastiff, but most breeders will consider the English Mastiff the original breed. Another major difference between the English and Bull is that the Bull Mastiff has an extremely powerful head that is wide and a more sleek and muscular body."

Here is a link for comparison.

Bullmastiff vs Mastiff - Dog Breeds Comparison
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Ok here is another....this one is named Foxy and with the days growing shorter she has given me and her Owner quite a fit about leaving the Dpk on more than one occassion. Her Owner & I spent over 30 minutes trying to catch her & get her out of the dog park! The breed is known to be stubborn and a mind of their own.

Attached files
Bryn Mawr

Breed All About It!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lady J;1489825 wrote: I hope you find her owner soon! Very kind of you and your daughter to take her in.....I would visit some local vets and take the dog to see if she is micro-chipped. They do that there I would think.

The Owners are probably frantic over her disappearance.

No micro chip. We've been to the Police, the local vets, the local rescue centres ...

She's obviously been very well cared for, the owner must be distraught. (I think it's an old person living alone from the way she behaves).
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Bryn Mawr;1489879 wrote: No micro chip. We've been to the Police, the local vets, the local rescue centres ...

She's obviously been very well cared for, the owner must be distraught. (I think it's an old person living alone from the way she behaves).

Any luck in finding pup's home Brian?
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Lady J;1489828 wrote: Ok here is another....this one is named Foxy and with the days growing shorter she has given me and her Owner quite a fit about leaving the Dpk on more than one occassion. Her Owner & I spent over 30 minutes trying to catch her & get her out of the dog park! The breed is known to be stubborn and a mind of their own.

Breed is a Shiba Inu

Learn more.....

Shiba Inu Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club
Bryn Mawr

Breed All About It!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lady J;1490222 wrote: Any luck in finding pup's home Brian?

My daughter too her to our vets for a check up and they found a chip (what the first vet was playing at I don't know) and a very emotional owner has been re-united with her dog :-6
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Bryn Mawr;1490259 wrote: My daughter too her to our vets for a check up and they found a chip (what the first vet was playing at I don't know) and a very emotional owner has been re-united with her dog :-6

I :-4 happy endings! Maybe not so much for your daughter who was becoming close to the pup...but all is well that ends well.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

As a side note...If your vet gives you a negative report on your pet's health, especially hip dysplasia with a dog.....Or what ever ails your pets...a cat or whatever animal you care for...and the vet is recommending surgery. PLEASE get a second opinion. It is the smart thing to do.

:guitarist
Bryn Mawr

Breed All About It!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lady J;1490282 wrote: I :-4 happy endings! Maybe not so much for your daughter who was becoming close to the pup...but all is well that ends well.

I predict she'll have a dog of her own within three months :-)
Bryn Mawr

Breed All About It!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lady J;1490283 wrote: As a side note...If your vet gives you a negative report on your pet's health, especially hip dysplasia with a dog.....Or what ever ails your pets...a cat or whatever animal you care for...and the vet is recommending surgery. PLEASE get a second opinion. It is the smart thing to do.

:guitarist

That makes great sense
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Bryn Mawr;1490291 wrote: I predict she'll have a dog of her own within three months :-)

Well...it's been over a year...did she adopt a dog?
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

any takers....what breed is this?

Attached files
Bryn Mawr

Breed All About It!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lady J;1496894 wrote: Well...it's been over a year...did she adopt a dog?

Two, miniature Schnauzers, Alice (about three) and Izzy (just over one) :-

Attached files
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Lady J;1496895 wrote: any takers....what breed is this?

Looks just like my son's St Bernard, "Frodo".
- DH Lawrence

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”