Breed All About It!

Discussions about your pets!
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

A friend had one just like that, named Bernie.

We were at a picnic by a lake in North Florida once, and decided to swim across the lake to another campground, just for the heck of it.

By the time we were halfway across, we were beginning to regret the notion. Bernie, swam out to join us, as began swimming circles around us, either taunting, us, or cheering us on. We were never sure which, but without him along, I think we might have turned around and gone back. We made it across, visited with some other folks, and when we were ready to return, we started walking around the lake, but Bernie jumped in the water, and swam around, barking and mocking us. We decided to return the way we came. We were tired by the time we got back, but Bernie was ready to swim some more. We started tossing a Frisbee into the lake, and Bernie would swim out and retrieve it. (Hint there) He finally settled down on dry land after the sun set, and we cooked up some steaks for dinner.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1462498 wrote: I was thinking a Red Setter, but while Googling to check, I found a Rhodesian Ridgeback which looks very much like it as well.

FourPart....good try. I appreciate you responding but you aren't close. When can you come spend some time with me at the Dpk! :)

I like your interest to learn....keep it up!

Lady J
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1462600 wrote: A friend had one just like that, named Bernie.

We were at a picnic by a lake in North Florida once, and decided to swim across the lake to another campground, just for the heck of it.

By the time we were halfway across, we were beginning to regret the notion. Bernie, swam out to join us, as began swimming circles around us, either taunting, us, or cheering us on. We were never sure which, but without him along, I think we might have turned around and gone back. We made it across, visited with some other folks, and when we were ready to return, we started walking around the lake, but Bernie jumped in the water, and swam around, barking and mocking us. We decided to return the way we came. We were tired by the time we got back, but Bernie was ready to swim some more. We started tossing a Frisbee into the lake, and Bernie would swim out and retrieve it. (Hint there) He finally settled down on dry land after the sun set, and we cooked up some steaks for dinner.

Bernie sounds like a Labrador. A water dog and full of energy!

Good story Lars:)
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Here is one for you....his name is Kato.

What breed is Kato?

Attached files
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

Looks like a miniature Great Dane. Is there such a thing as a Dwarf Great Dane?

(Although, to be honest, I'm just going by the colour of the muzzle - seriously I don't have a clue)
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

I know, but will refrain from responding for now. His tongue is a BIG clue.

This last weekend, I was visiting my cousin in California. They had recently adopted a rescue dog named Allie who could be the female twin of that one. She is a homely one, but she has a heart of gold.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1463788 wrote: Looks like a miniature Great Dane. Is there such a thing as a Dwarf Great Dane?

(Although, to be honest, I'm just going by the colour of the muzzle - seriously I don't have a clue)

FourPart I will make you a dog breed expert yet!!

LOL! no, there is not a miniature Great Dane that I am aware of.

The dog is a Shar Pei....don't see many of them at the Dpk.

Shar Pei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of their traits is the blue-black tongue that Lars referred to. Plus their wrinkles and ears.

Here is a picture of a Great Dane.

Echo, from my Dog Park.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 2c08d7f87e
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

That Shar Pei on Wiki doesn't look anything like the one in you picture, though. In fact I'd even say it looks more like a boxer.

Also, the Wiki picture of the Great Dane looks more like a cross with a Dalmation. The only Great Danes I've come across have been the same light brown, as with the pictures of the Shar Pei.
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1464007 wrote: That Shar Pei on Wiki doesn't look anything like the one in you picture, though. In fact I'd even say it looks more like a boxer.

Also, the Wiki picture of the Great Dane looks more like a cross with a Dalmation. The only Great Danes I've come across have been the same light brown, as with the pictures of the Shar Pei.

I think that dog is probably a mix. I know that Alie, the one my cousin adopted is a mix. There could be some Boxer in there, or Pit Bull, . But, that face and blue tongue definitely indicate the Shar Pei blood.

One of my neighbors has a Shar Pei that is full blood. It is the strangest looking Dog. Somewhat short, about the height of a large Beagle, with folds of skin all over.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1464022 wrote: I think that dog is probably a mix. I know that Alie, the one my cousin adopted is a mix. There could be some Boxer in there, or Pit Bull, . But, that face and blue tongue definitely indicate the Shar Pei blood.

One of my neighbors has a Shar Pei that is full blood. It is the strangest looking Dog. Somewhat short, about the height of a large Beagle, with folds of skin all over.

Yes, I would agree Kato is a mix....but he does have the traits of a Shar Pei.

As far as the Great Dane goes...first off the photo is not from Wiki. It is one that I took at the dog park I work at...see a lot of awesome dogs there! And he is a pedigree....not a mix of Dalmatian.

Wiki would describe his coloring as "Harlequin: The base color is pure white with black torn patches irregularly and well distributed over the entire body; a pure white neck is preferred. The black patches should never be large enough to give the appearance of a blanket, nor so small as to give a stippled or dappled effect. "

His name is Bodie and he is a gently giant. He will often lay down to play with smaller dogs which is so cute.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

OK new Dog! Showed up yesterday for his first visit. His name is Riley....he is just shy of 4 moths old and so cute as he is awkward when he plays! Love puppies:-4

what breed?

Attached files
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

You know, it's weird - if you look hard & deep into those eyes the face starts to move.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1464354 wrote: You know, it's weird - if you look hard & deep into those eyes the face starts to move.

OK...does anyone else experience this moving face!!

FourPart I think you nursery rhythm writes has taken a toll on you!:wah:
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

I dunno about moving, his eyes follow me when I move. :)
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I had an awkward moment today. Took Puppy down to the corner shop to get some ciggs and tied her to a garden gate next to the shop. As I'm paying, I hear a scraping sound and there's Puppy following me Into the shop dragging the garden gate behind her... sod It... just unclipped her and got out of there.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Oscar Namechange;1464638 wrote: I had an awkward moment today. Took Puppy down to the corner shop to get some ciggs and tied her to a garden gate next to the shop. As I'm paying, I hear a scraping sound and there's Puppy following me Into the shop dragging the garden gate behind her... sod It... just unclipped her and got out of there.

Isn't the puppy a bit young for ciggs, yet?
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Namechange;1464638 wrote: I had an awkward moment today. Took Puppy down to the corner shop to get some ciggs and tied her to a garden gate next to the shop. As I'm paying, I hear a scraping sound and there's Puppy following me Into the shop dragging the garden gate behind her... sod It... just unclipped her and got out of there.

Hahaha! I have seen things like that happen...and there is always a quick exit!

Gotta luv your pets!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

What breed? I know I am not giving you much to go off of....but this is Carrick & Fearghus from Northern Ireland....Irish Wolfhounds who visit the Dog Park.

Attached files
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Calling for snow here tomorrow...these dogs will love it!

What breed?
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Lady J;1468274 wrote:

Calling for snow here tomorrow...these dogs will love it!

What breed?

Alaskan Malamute ???
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Good to see you back Lady J.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

I thought they were Huskies.
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1468309 wrote: I thought they were Huskies.

You could be right. I was going to say Alaskan Malamutes. Both are very close cousins.

Beautiful dogs.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1468309 wrote: I thought they were Huskies.

These are Siberian Huskies....hard to tell the difference as Lars pointed out.

Here is a link if you want to learn more.

Aquila Kennels Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskys - Breeders of Show and Pet Quality Alaskan Malamute and Siberian Husky dogs

I know they all love the snow and I don't see them too often during the summer months at the Dpk....but come winter and cold that is just about all I see!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1468280 wrote: Good to see you back Lady J.

Thank you LarsMac.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

What breed.....

associated with fire fighters.

http://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho ... e=55273383

Her name is Willow....
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

It's Spot.

Dalmation?
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1471038 wrote: It's Spot.

Dalmation?

Yep! You are correct FourPart....it's a Dalmation :)
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Here is a breed I had not seen to yesterday....this is not a photo I took but I will post one up once I do take one of the dog who is a new member at the Dpk.

I am told this is a purebred. What breed am I?

Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

The breed is a Smooth Collie...which makes sense cuz of the face...the rest of the body reminds me of a GS. It is thought that they are descendants of the German Shepherd dog breed.

Smooth Collie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
flopstock

Breed All About It!

Post by flopstock »

The head and tail on this one seem undersized to me for some reason.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

G#Gill

Breed All About It!

Post by G#Gill »

Our dog, a rescue mixed breed from RSPCA, being a first cross German Shepherd and Collie, has great intelligence. She has turned out far better than we had hoped for, but she was such a good-looking dog that we couldn't help but take a big fancy to her.

She even tries to talk to us and tell us what she wants ! She doesn't bark to tell us, she sort of howls with great expression and when she gets in from her walk always asks for a reward - "Woo Wooooo ". She also gets a reward of dog biscuits when my hubby and son return from snooker club - as she has looked after me very well during their absence ! When asked if she deserves a reward for looking after me, she gives a quick but muffled single woof. That never varies and we have assumed that she means "yes" ! :wah:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
AnneBoleyn

Breed All About It!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I love inter-species communication. Of course it exists. Our pets have been domesticated for thousands of years & we rely on each other.
G#Gill

Breed All About It!

Post by G#Gill »

We should give them more credit for having more intelligence than a lot of people believe. Our dog never asks to go in the garden for a comfort break, she just appears to be a little fidgety so she is asked if she wants to go in the garden and she instantly does her little subdued single woof ! We let her out into the garden and we see that she performs her required 'business', then she immediately returns to the door and one of us cleans up, leaving the garden clean and hygienic again. :)
Snowfire

Breed All About It!

Post by Snowfire »

We have a young whippet. She craves human contact. Always needs to be touching one of us. All humans and dogs, as far as our Meg is concerned, are here to play with her.

A very friendly, social animal. She and my youngest grandaughter absolutely adore each other
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Dogs generally suffer separation anxiety, every time they are left alone for even a few minutes.

Our neighbor just recently got an Alaskan Malemute. He is now 4 months old, and when they both go to work in the morning, he can sound so pathetic.

I told them they should get him a kitten.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Breed All About It!

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1485233 wrote: Dogs generally suffer separation anxiety, every time they are left alone for even a few minutes.

Our neighbor just recently got an Alaskan Malemute. He is now 4 months old, and when they both go to work in the morning, he can sound so pathetic.

I have found that leaving the radio on all the time one is away from the house. The dog feels there is company there with him. Also leave plenty of dog toys and of course leave a decent amount of water down for him, as well as food. However, I can never understand people who know they are both going to be at work all day, getting a dog !!! It is a form of cruelty, leaving the animal on his own all day, when he is a naturally gregarious creature. Of course he is going to fret and possibly do damage and consequently get into trouble when, quite frankly, the fault is with the humans !!!!
Snowfire

Breed All About It!

Post by Snowfire »

G#Gill;1485236 wrote: I have found that leaving the radio on all the time one is away from the house. The dog feels there is company there with him. Also leave plenty of dog toys and of course leave a decent amount of water down for him, as well as food. However, I can never understand people who know they are both going to be at work all day, getting a dog !!! It is a form of cruelty, leaving the animal on his own all day, when he is a naturally gregarious creature. Of course he is going to fret and possibly do damage and consequently get into trouble when, quite frankly, the fault is with the humans !!!!

I agree. We only leave her for about 3 hours. She has been left for 4 without any drama but we like to restrict it to 3 and that's after a good run. That was a slow process that started with a few minutes to building up to an hour or two.

Fortunately Whippets, after running 100 mph for half an hour, they like to sleep for long periods, so long as they are warm and comfortable
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

Breed All About It!

Post by G#Gill »

That's the secret really. Build things up slowly so that the dog gets used to whatever you are trying to prepare it for. One dog we had (another rescue dog) was petrified of going in a car. I think he had been thrown out of one by callous owners ! I had our car on the drive and lifted the dog onto the back seat and sat beside him for about 15 minutes, then we got out. The next day I did it again, and over time I lengthened the stay in the car till he was sitting on the back seat and I was in the driving seat. After a week or so of this I started the car engine but didn't move the car. This was done for a few days, then I reversed the car out of the drive, then drove back in. I did this for a few days and he was quite happy. We progressed bit by bit until I was able to drive down the village to the little shop and back. He was quite happy. After a couple of months I could take him more or less anywhere in the car and he showed no signs of nervousness. He would trot out to the car and hop in to the back, curl up and go to sleep for whatever journey we went on. I think we decided that our little chap had been coaxed out of his fear of car travel. It took several weeks but, of course, it was worth it.
Wandrin

Breed All About It!

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1485233 wrote: Dogs generally suffer separation anxiety, every time they are left alone for even a few minutes.

There is now a tv channel just for dogs left alone. I stumbled across it the other day. https://dogtv.com/
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Pitstop doesn't really like TV. but we leave music playing, a lot of the time.

She seems to like blues, and some of the old rock and roll stuff.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Ahhh. Gill your drew me back in. A GS and Collie mix would be a find! I'm sure she is able to communicate and will e an excellent for You and Yours.

G#Gill;1485179 wrote: Our dog, a rescue mixed breed from RSPCA, being a first cross German Shepherd and Collie, has great intelligence. She has turned out far better than we had hoped for, but she was such a good-looking dog that we couldn't help but take a big fancy to her.

She even tries to talk to us and tell us what she wants ! She doesn't bark to tell us, she sort of howls with great expression and when she gets in from her walk always asks for a reward - "Woo Wooooo ". She also gets a reward of dog biscuits when my hubby and son return from snooker club - as she has looked after me very well during their absence ! When asked if she deserves a reward for looking after me, she gives a quick but muffled single woof. That never varies and we have assumed that she means "yes" ! :wah:
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

A kitten may be or maybe not a good idea. The dg would probably lick it a lot and get fur balls...I would suggest taking a tee-shirt, very worn and not washed; and placing it with the dog. A dogs sense of smell is beyond what we can understand. the smell from the shirt could comfort the dog.

Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Patience is a saint....and You were one. Not many people take or give the time a pet requires. They are a work of special stuff that only some can repeat the benefits from.

G#Gill;1485267 wrote: That's the secret really. Build things up slowly so that the dog gets used to whatever you are trying to prepare it for. One dog we had (another rescue dog) was petrified of going in a car. I think he had been thrown out of one by callous owners ! I had our car on the drive and lifted the dog onto the back seat and sat beside him for about 15 minutes, then we got out. The next day I did it again, and over time I lengthened the stay in the car till he was sitting on the back seat and I was in the driving seat. After a week or so of this I started the car engine but didn't move the car. This was done for a few days, then I reversed the car out of the drive, then drove back in. I did this for a few days and he was quite happy. We progressed bit by bit until I was able to drive down the village to the little shop and back. He was quite happy. After a couple of months I could take him more or less anywhere in the car and he showed no signs of nervousness. He would trot out to the car and hop in to the back, curl up and go to sleep for whatever journey we went on. I think we decided that our little chap had been coaxed out of his fear of car travel. It took several weeks but, of course, it was worth it.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

A couple of days ago it was National Dog Day here.

Pictures of the dogs at my Dpk...

Attached files
G#Gill

Breed All About It!

Post by G#Gill »

Lady J;1485307 wrote: Patience is a saint....and You were one. Not many people take or give the time a pet requires. They are a work of special stuff that only some can repeat the benefits from.

Thanks for that, Lady J. It was a very enjoyable and rewarding exercise too.
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Lady J;1485306 wrote: A kitten may be or maybe not a good idea. The dg would probably lick it a lot and get fur balls...I would suggest taking a tee-shirt, very worn and not washed; and placing it with the dog. A dogs sense of smell is beyond what we can understand. the smell from the shirt could comfort the dog.

You're probably right. Welcome back, by the way.

A co-worker had the answer. He just married, and his wife has a Parrot - An old guy she has had since she was a child.

When the moved in together, his rescued pit bull took a liking to the Parrot and the Parrot has taken on the task of puppy-sitter.

They have become best buds.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1485326 wrote: You're probably right. Welcome back, by the way.

A co-worker had the answer. He just married, and his wife has a Parrot - An old guy she has had since she was a child.

When the moved in together, his rescued pit bull took a liking to the Parrot and the Parrot has taken on the task of puppy-sitter.

They have become best buds.

Love it Lars! I have seen animals of all types live together in harmony. We could learn a lot from them.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Ok what breed is this? Her name is Goldie and she is a retired show dog who won many ribbons.

Attached files
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

"Welcome back, by the way."

Thank you Lars!

don't know for how long but I'll stick in to another lull.

Work is busy, Dpk is busy....Barkoween is soon and I have much fund raising to do for donated prizes. Just wrapped up Animal Advocates Walk for Paws and raised over $2300 for homeless pets. Thought I'd share a few more dog images....:wah:

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”