Brandy

Discussions about your pets!
flopstock

Brandy

Post by flopstock »

Brandy is almost 13 years old. We got her from a farm just outside of town the year my daughter was born. She is a mutt, like me.

I trained her to my yard as a pup by running her around the perimeter when she needed to go out. Within months I was able to say simply 'your yard' and regardless of the distraction she'd come back inside the invisible boundary.

We have this routine, Brandy and me.. every morning the alarm goes off and I stumble to the kitchen door to let her out to do her business, before she heads back in to get fed. This morning she seemed to be moving oddly and after a whiz, she headed to the back of the yard and laid down looking back at the house. She wouldn't come in until I went out in my slippers and robe and started walking toward her. I am the alpha.

When I came home at lunch to put her out, she peed and simply laid down where she was.

10 hours later I am home from a trip to the local vet and then a 75 mile drive to the referral animal hospital and a return trip past the farm that littleones dad owns. Brandy had been up there over the weekend and he had mentioned how she was acting like a pup suddenly.

Cancer in all of her major organs. She had been bleeding into her abdomen. She was so weak that I had to help her into the car and they had to carry her in on a stretcher. Littleone was brave and insisted she needed to be there and petting Brandy as she went to sleep. I think she wanted to be sure it didn't hurt.

He had the hole dug next to the fence where she liked to sneak in and terrorize the cows when she was up there.

Now she can do it to her hearts content.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Snooz

Brandy

Post by Snooz »

Aw Floppy, I'm so sorry to hear this. What a brave girl she was, the pain must have been terrible. She sounds like a wonderful family member, rest in peace Brandy.
Accountable

Brandy

Post by Accountable »

Thirteen years is a fine, long life. I'm so sorry it ended in so much pain. It sounds like you have tons of good memories, and your littleone's actions speak volumes of the high quality parenting she had.

RIP Brandy.
LarsMac

Brandy

Post by LarsMac »

I am sorry for your loss of a friend.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

Brandy

Post by flopstock »

It's funny the things you take for granted.

A few years ago, when Gina would start the rolling over and going back to sleep in the morning, I'd go in and lift the covers off her feet and get brandy to lick them.. gina hated it, but I laughed my ass off. Now, all I had to say was 'get gina' and she'd head off to the bedroom on her own, stick her head under the covers and I'd hear gina start yelling..:wah:

Good dog.:-4
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Oscar Namechange

Brandy

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I am so sorry Flop. I lost my dog today also so I know exactly what you're going through.

You have to remember In this world of so much animal abuse what you gave her.

I know I can sleep at night knowing my Scully never went hungry, cold or un-loved.

They give you everything they have and dedicate their lives to you......... The one thing you can do to repay that loyalty Is to be there at the end and not let them suffer.

Thinking of you.....
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

Brandy

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I'm sorry it took so long to read this thread. It breaks my heart. It breaks my heart to think of my own "lost" cats, especially Pepper, who lived with us for over 19 years. I think of him every day. Flop, so sorry for your loss of a best friend.
theia

Brandy

Post by theia »

Thinking of you, flop
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
YZGI

Brandy

Post by YZGI »

Sorry Flop.
Bryn Mawr

Brandy

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Respect to your daughter and my sympathy to you both.
flopstock

Brandy

Post by flopstock »

oscar;1393227 wrote: I am so sorry Flop. I lost my dog today also so I know exactly what you're going through.

You have to remember In this world of so much animal abuse what you gave her.

I know I can sleep at night knowing my Scully never went hungry, cold or un-loved.

They give you everything they have and dedicate their lives to you......... The one thing you can do to repay that loyalty Is to be there at the end and not let them suffer.

Thinking of you.....
Thanks Oscar and back at you. I think these are those moments that are intended to make us grow as people. I know I saw the daughter mature in front of me last night.

But bottom line is that it sucks eggs and we would all rather do without these life lessons.:-1

flopstock

Brandy

Post by flopstock »

Thanks everyone.

It really hit me today when I didn't have to run home at lunch to let the dog out. 5 days a week for 13 years.

Then I checked my blood sugar and it was up and it occurred to me that I always take my pills after she comes back inside in the morning... that didn't happen. I forgot to take them today.

Pets really do weave themselves throughout our days.:thinking:

Snooz

Brandy

Post by Snooz »

flopstock;1393256 wrote: Thanks Oscar and back at you. I think these are those moments that are intended to make us grow as people. I know I saw the daughter mature in front of me last night.

But bottom line is that it sucks eggs and we would all rather do without these life lessons.:-1

Yeah, the first three cats I've lost were enough to learn this life lesson, now I want my cats to live 30+ years.
Oscar Namechange

Brandy

Post by Oscar Namechange »

It's astonishing how they rule our lives In so many ways.

I have two other dogs, Mulder 14 and Rosie 3.... But like you and Brandy, our lives revolved around Scully's wee wee times as she wasn't as good at holding on as the other two...

Whatever we were doing, where ever we were, we had to time It so one of us got home for Scully In time.......
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
valerie

Brandy

Post by valerie »

I'm so sorry Flop... I do know all too well just how much it hurts.

Hugs to both of you.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Betty Boop

Brandy

Post by Betty Boop »

flopstock;1393214 wrote: It's funny the things you take for granted.

A few years ago, when Gina would start the rolling over and going back to sleep in the morning, I'd go in and lift the covers off her feet and get brandy to lick them.. gina hated it, but I laughed my ass off. Now, all I had to say was 'get gina' and she'd head off to the bedroom on her own, stick her head under the covers and I'd hear gina start yelling..:wah:

Good dog.:-4

What a great memory! Sorry for your loss Flops and Gina :-4
Kathy Ellen

Brandy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Awwwww, Floppy and Gina.....I am so sorry that you've lost Brandy -(

Sending you lots of love right now, and I hope that you and Gina will find peace soon xxxx

Losing a beloved pet is so tragic. After all these years, I still miss my beloved cat "Foxy."

He died such a horrible and painful death, and I wasn't home when this tragedy happened to him. I still blame myself for his painful death.

Wandrin

Brandy

Post by Wandrin »

I'm sorry to hear about your loss of a friend.
Lady J

Brandy

Post by Lady J »

Floppy....I am so sorry to hear of your lost. Yes, they are like human children to us....some just listen better.

Wow! Oscar's lost and now yours....too sad.

hugz and comforting vibes

Lady J

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”