sometimes it's OK to bite.

Discussions about your pets!
gmc

Post by gmc »

Dog saves owner from pervert

Dog saves owner from pervert - Crime, UK - The Independent

Hopefully there won't be calls for the dog to be put down. It's thought though. I had a minor altercation with a couple of drunken teenagers and my dog kind of kept out the way but what if things had turned violent and he'd gone for them in my defence? actually they turned rather threatening but since the guy was pissed it was kind of hard to take seriously. Kind of a dilemma-if things turn nasty I would want him in there ripping arms off but at the same time I was conscious that if he did bite he might get put down.

One of our neighbours has an Alsation that keeps escaping from his back garden. It's friendly-on occasion it's followed mine home-but he's next to a primary school all it would take is for it to knock over a kid being friendly and yet another dangerous dog report. I kept mine on a lead even as a pup when near kids. I'm kind of tempted to report it to the RSPCA as a stray next time it happens. Bit mean do you think? he doesn't see the cause for concern by the way despite several other dog owners having words with him. .
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I don't think the question should arise whether the dog should be put down or not. It was doing it's job of protecting the owner. Seems to me it could have done a lot worse if it had gone for a more delicate part of the pervert's anatomy. I reckon that the dog probably just needs a bit of police training to put it completely within the law when it acts.My vote goes to the dog. Put the pervert down if they can find him.
minks

Post by minks »

I used to live next door to an extremely violent alcoholic He used to torment my dog through our window. He said my dog bit him one day when he jumped the fence into our back yard. I said oh well so sad, press charges... he never did. From that day forward I told my daughter, let the dog out if that man ever approaches our house drunk... yep I would back my dog biting him in a heartbeat.

Blessed mother of pearl he has since moved away :-6
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

minks;1054489 wrote: Blessed mother of pearl he has since moved away :-6

I'm glad to hear that.:guitarist
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

the dog was doing his job protecting you. I would protect this dog anyway i could. if the fools start trouble for your HERO:mad:
Odie

Post by Odie »

never read in the article at all that they were thinking of putting the dog down?

it was protecting its owner, lets be thankful the dog was there.
Life is just to short for drama.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Odie;1054839 wrote: never read in the article at all that they were thinking of putting the dog down?

it was protecting its owner, lets be thankful the dog was there.

No they're not thinking of putting it down. Most people would be laughing at the story-serves the guy right. It's just that there is an outcry here every time there is a serious dog attack with calls for draconian measures like all dogs must be kept on a lead or muzzled. Not to say there isn't a problem with some owners and their dogs but it's got to the point where you need to be very careful of meeting people who are convinced all dogs want to attack them.
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

I must say I don't let my dogs off the lead after dark because they are more protective of me then and could mis-read a situation maybe a loud but otherwise harmless drunk or teenagers who by nature are loud but often just having fun.

Having said that if we really think about why we have dogs in the first place a lot of it comes down to protection, the only time I've ever had an intruder in my house was after Max died and before Oscar came ie; dog free house.

With OH working away so much I feel comforted by the fact that the dogs are there and are protective of me and the house which they view as their territory.. Even my nieghbour has said she likes the idea of having them around ( she has no dog) because she feels it put off would be thieves from trying anything.

there is a difference between a dog attack and what in this case is clearly a dog doing its job ie protecting its owner.
Odie

Post by Odie »

gmc;1054899 wrote: No they're not thinking of putting it down. Most people would be laughing at the story-serves the guy right. It's just that there is an outcry here every time there is a serious dog attack with calls for draconian measures like all dogs must be kept on a lead or muzzled. Not to say there isn't a problem with some owners and their dogs but it's got to the point where you need to be very careful of meeting people who are convinced all dogs want to attack them.

exactly, it's not always the dogs fault, it's how some dog owners raise them.
southern yankee

Odie;1055084 wrote: exactly, it's not always the dogs fault, it's how some dog owners raise them. Do you think that is always true. Our neighborhood has band Pit Bulls. Too many people around here have small children and grandchildren. with our country atmosphere. the dogs are free to roam. can't take any chances.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

well that dog did a great thing protecting his human. :-6
southern yankee

I would be proud of if it was my dog:)
Odie

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1055095 wrote: Do you think that is always true. Our neighborhood has band Pit Bulls. Too many people around here have small children and grandchildren. with our country atmosphere. the dogs are free to roam. can't take any chances.

-- depends on the breed..

Pitbulls are now banned from owing them here, I know there are tons of kinds of Pitbulls out there, but that breed alone has killed and maimed children and adults for decades....it had to be stopped.

All dogs must be leased here, they are not aloud just to roam free, and soon will come into affect that they must be muzzled as well.

it's all for safety, even a good dog that is loving and caring can only take so much abuse if someone is teasing it, kicking it, throwing things at it etc.

I would react the same way if someone was doing those things to me, who wouldn't?
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by odie

All dogs must be leased here, they are not aloud just to roam free, and soon will come into affect that they must be muzzled as well.

I would object to that as I have my dog off the lead at every opportunity-on the other hand I put him on a lead near children in a park as a matter of course and definitely all the time on a street. I assume they use common sense and don't mean on a lead everywhere.

I think there's maybe a case for owners of some big dogs being required to attend training courses with them to ensure they can actually control them. Real dog lovers wouldn't be put off by that but it might reduce the number of idiots that think it cool to buy a big dog without thinking about it.

Mine is a rescue dog and to get one we were vetted by the charity that runs the dog home and had to put up a more secure fence to keep it in before they would let us have one. It's a standing joke round here now if someone has a pedigree it's because they couldn't get one from the dog's trust- a kind of inverted snobbery

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”