Westminster Dog Show

Discussions about your pets!
BabyRider

Westminster Dog Show

Post by BabyRider »

"Carly" a german shorthair pointer has just won Westminster. Very cool!!! I am really tired of those little yappy ankle-biters taking the crown every year.

That's 2 years in a row big dogs have won! Last year was a big ol' newfie named Jake. And probably the only other person here who finds this even slightly interesting, is Rachelg. Oh well....

As a funny side-note, the idiot reporter on my local news station referred to the dog as a "german sheperd pointer". Way to go Don Shane...Sheesh! :-5
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

valerie

Westminster Dog Show

Post by valerie »

BR, used to have a friend who said "Any dog you can drop kick ain't

worth havin'"! LOL

I'm interested, too, but I just wish the gsd's could go back in the

Working Group, they do so many different things I think it's where

they really belong, regardless if they are "herders" or not!

Remember Rachelg and her honey might be celebrating their anniversary,

they met at Westminster didn't she say?

:yh_smiley
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

lady cop

Westminster Dog Show

Post by lady cop »

little ankle biters are very good for shark bait. alligators like them too.
BabyRider

Westminster Dog Show

Post by BabyRider »

Val, as soon as I saw you had responded to this post, I kicked myself in the butt for forgetting that you, of course, are interested...(I'm a moron :yh_doh )

Yes, GSD's belong in the Working group.

I remember now that you mention it about Rachelg and her hubby. I wonder which dog she was pulling for? Was it you that asked her about ASCOB's? The ASCOB tonight sure was a beauty! Did you watch?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

Westminster Dog Show

Post by BabyRider »

lady cop wrote: little ankle biters are very good for shark bait. alligators like them too.

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :yh_rotfl :yh_laugh :yh_rotfl
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

kensloft

Westminster Dog Show

Post by kensloft »

My Bram Staff would've walked away with the show. Didn't enter him 'cause I wanted everyone else to at least have a chance.
BabyRider

Westminster Dog Show

Post by BabyRider »

kensloft wrote: My Bram Staff would've walked away with the show. Didn't enter him 'cause I wanted everyone else to at least have a chance.
Ya know...I'm gonna ask a nearby friend if you're ALWAYS such a smart-a**. :yh_giggle

(You crack me up, man...)
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

valerie

Westminster Dog Show

Post by valerie »

It was indeed me asking about her ASCOB's. I didn't watch tonight, it

will likely re-run tomorrow morning and I'll Tivo it or something.

Interesting that Westminster is the second-longest continuosly held

"sporting" event, behind only the Kentucky Derby.

(Just wait'll that one gets here, another fave o' mine!!)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

valerie

Westminster Dog Show

Post by valerie »

For any of you who do happen to be interested, USA network is showing

Westminster tomorrow starting at 1 p.m. Pacific time.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

kensloft

Westminster Dog Show

Post by kensloft »

Bram Staff= British Staffordshire + American Staffordshire.

Handsome, Strong, Friendly.
greydeadhead

Westminster Dog Show

Post by greydeadhead »

It is really too bad that working dogs don't get a better representation.. I mean these ummm... overgrown ratdogs with poofy hair just don't do it.. welllll maybe for gator bait but even then they may scare the gators..... anyway.. big dogs rule......
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
rachelg

Westminster Dog Show

Post by rachelg »

Tom and I watched the show on TV. We picked Carlee too, so we were happy. :)

I'm impressed that BR and Valerie know the abbreviation ASCOB (any solid color other than black). I still have a friend who actually shows dogs that calls them Ascot cockers. Wouldn't that be cute, cockers that traditionally wore ascots? :-6
Erinna1112

Westminster Dog Show

Post by Erinna1112 »

rachelg wrote: Tom and I watched the show on TV. We picked Carlee too, so we were happy. :)

I'm impressed that BR and Valerie know the abbreviation ASCOB (any solid color other than black). I still have a friend who actually shows dogs that calls them Ascot cockers. Wouldn't that be cute, cockers that traditionally wore ascots? :-6
Hey, I knew it too. :) Only because I remember it from last year, tho .... ha@me.

I knew that German Shorthair had a chance when I saw him trotting around the ring..just the way he moved. Wow. And yeah, the ASCOB Cocker was gorgeous. And that Golden Retriever...wow. I didn't catch as much of this as I wanted to this year....finals week. eep.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~Ayn Rand

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

A*M*E*N!
valerie

Westminster Dog Show

Post by valerie »

Cockers with ascots?!?!? Now I've heard everything!!

:yh_rotfl

I'm impressed with the dogs that are a wee bit older winning things...

I think I heard that Carlee is 5. And some of the (b-word)'s have

even had litters and gotten back in to the show ring! Now, I think that

is really a point in any breed's favor to be able to do that.

I'm going to watch this afternoon, if only to catch Carlee's "Free

Stack" I hear it was pretty impressive.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

valerie

Westminster Dog Show

Post by valerie »

greydeadhead wrote: It is really too bad that working dogs don't get a better representation.. I mean these ummm... overgrown ratdogs with poofy hair just don't do it.. welllll maybe for gator bait but even then they may scare the gators..... anyway.. big dogs rule......I obviously like the big dogs, too, but I have been surprised sometimes.

I think I have to try to open my mind a little.

One little girl who has the key to my heart is "Abbie" the little

dachsund I see on my morning walks. Well, Abbie sees me first

usually, and runs down the bike path as fast as her little legs can carry

her. Tail going around in circles like a helicopter rotor. You see, long

ago, (with her Mom's permission of course) I started giving Abbie a

cookie every time I saw her. She is just such a cutie, great

personality, and very quiet for a little dog, so quiet in fact I've never

heard her voice!! I pick her up and she gives me lots of kisses. So,

yes, a little dog won me over. It CAN happen.

As far as the ones with the "poofy" hair, did you know that in the case

of poodles especially there is a reason for those poofs a lot of the

time? Some clips if you'll look closely, the poofs are around the dogs

joints to keep them warm in the cold water they were often asked to go in.

And I personally think a lot of the dogs with the long brushed out

"feathers" (cockers, anyone?) look beautiful trotting in the show ring.

:yh_clap
Tamsen's Dogster Page

greydeadhead

Westminster Dog Show

Post by greydeadhead »

Oh.. MinI-versions can be okay.. my parents have one of those minihotdogs.. the little guy thinks he is quite the stud muffin when he gets around the 2 female chessies romping around the house.. waters everything in sight.. It is wicked amusing.. course I think he has no idea that he is tutored...

Yep..was familiiar with the poofy cuts and why they were groomed in that manner.. course that would look kinda funny on my two.. and I am sure they would run and hide if I ever even attempted to cut them like that...lol
Erinna1112

Westminster Dog Show

Post by Erinna1112 »

greydeadhead wrote:

waters everything in sight.. It is wicked amusing.. course I think he has no idea that he is tutored...

Hmmm...I got tutored in my Accounting class...I wonder if that means I'll be watering everything in sight....

:wah:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~Ayn Rand

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

A*M*E*N!
kensloft

Westminster Dog Show

Post by kensloft »

greydeadhead wrote: It is really too bad that working dogs don't get a better representation.. I mean these ummm... overgrown ratdogs with poofy hair just don't do it.. welllll maybe for gator bait but even then they may scare the gators..... anyway.. big dogs rule......
The irony of it all is that they are kept out of the mix because they might swallow one of the little poofs. Remember a shi tzu attacking my dog( more macho than brains) and my dog just sat there looking. You could just see him shaking his head going, "You've got to be kidding?"
BabyRider

Westminster Dog Show

Post by BabyRider »

I had a friend who owned a Yorkie. This little creep of a dog thought he was a 180-lb. Rottweiller. He went after any dog he saw, invariably got his furry little butt kicked, and never backed down for a second. A serious discipline problem, and totally ruled the roost. He bit me on more than one occassion, and when I'd grab the little bastard and put him into a submissive position, his owner would say "Oh, no, no, you're hurting him!!!" And freak out on me. I hated that dog with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns. Good for football practice and nothing else. Truly, the only dog I can say I ever really hated.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

capt_buzzard

Westminster Dog Show

Post by capt_buzzard »

kensloft wrote: Bram Staff= British Staffordshire + American Staffordshire.

Handsome, Strong, Friendly.Make good rat catchers
Bothwell

Westminster Dog Show

Post by Bothwell »

Greydeadhead - are those Chessies you refer to Chesapeake retrievers, hope so I always wanted one. I have always had Labradors and back when I used to go shooting they were the best utility gundogs bar none. Used to see a lot of springers but they were just so stupid.

I only ever go to watch working trials because the breeding for the big shows tend to take out characteristics of the working dog. As an example a friend of mine purchased a golden retriever (note the retriever) which was a failed showdog. It looked absolutely fantastic, if you threw a stick for it the damn thing just stood there, would not go near water, in other words hundreds of years of retriever instinct was all gone.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
greydeadhead

Westminster Dog Show

Post by greydeadhead »

Bothwell...

Yep, chesapeake bay retrievers..Labs are a great dog, but Chessies rule when it comes to working. They never ever cease to amaze me. Ihave 2 of them, females... bout 65lbs each. One is a deadgrass (think yellow lab) and the other is the normal reddish brown. They are 2 and 4 years old respectively. The older one is a great woods and trail dog. The younger one would be a spectacular field and water trials dog if I worked with her. They both exhibit the normal chessie traits.. stubborn.. amazing memories.. pick a family member to bond with.. follow you where ever you go .. love the water.. the snow.. protective but not aggressive.. amazing dogs..

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”